• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does The Bible Contain Errors And Contradictions

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
Not everyone is meant to agree. There is no commandment regarding a particular "what or who is God." Jesus was a Jew, who for the most part preached to other Jews. However, there are two very telling instances given in the NT Scriptures.

1) The woman at the well. A Samaritan, therefore not "acceptable" to worship in the Jewish temple. And what did Jesus say to her? John 4: 23But a time is coming and has now come when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and in truth, for the Father is seeking such as these to worship Him. 24God is Spirit, and His worshipers must worship Him in spirit and in truth.” He does not tell her she needs the temple, or even that she needs to believe in him. She just needs to worship in spirit and truth--truth as she knows, apparently.

2) Then there's the story of the Roman Centurion. Did Jesus ask him to rebuke Jupiter? No. Did he ask him what God he worshipped? No. He simply took notice of the man's pure faith: Matt 8: 10When Jesus heard this, He marveled and said to those following Him, “Truly I tell you, I have not found anyone in Israel with such great faith. 11I say to you that many will come from the east and the west to share the banquet with Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob in the kingdom of heaven. Take note of that last line--MANY will come and share.

And a last note directed especially to Christians: Jesus stated in Matt 20:15 Am I not allowed to do what I choose with what belongs to me? Or do you begrudge my generosity?’
Obviously not all agree about which God is or if there is any God spoken of. :) Or if Jesus said anything at all that is written down. So -- have a good evening...

Spice

StewardshipPeaceIntergityCommunityEquality
Oh? How do you know that, are you sure there is "no commandment" about a particular "what or who" God is?
I gave you two examples. Can you provide a "commandment" that specifies one must be Jewish, Christian, Muslim, Bah'ai, or as in reference to the Centurion, even a follower of any Abrahamic religion? God knows one's HEART and in each of us, that is where God resides.....thus......
Namaste

YoursTrue

I gave you two examples. Can you provide a "commandment" that specifies one must be Jewish, Christian, Muslim, Bah'ai, or as in reference to the Centurion, even a follower of any Abrahamic religion? God knows one's HEART and in each of us, that is where God resides.....thus......
Namaste
You said there is no commandment about who or what God is. How do you know that?
And some here and otherwise believe no God exists. (Have a good evening out of respect maybe later.) :)

Spice

You said there is no commandment about who or what God is. How do you know that?
And some here and otherwise believe no God exists. (Have a good evening out of respect maybe later.) :)
As a Christian you follow the Bible, yes? There are 7 laws given to Noah for humankind that do not follow Torah. Notice, believing in God is not among them. They are just not to curse God, or worship idols. Can't curse something you don't acknowledge exists, now can you? And the way one "sees" God is not mentioned outside of it not being a material object (idol).

The Noahide laws, also known as the Seven Laws of Noah, are a covenant of seven commandments given to Noah's descendants by the Torah:
  • Establish laws
  • Do not worship idols
  • Do not curse God
  • Do not commit murder
  • Do not commit adultery or sexual immorality
  • Do not steal
  • Do not eat flesh torn from a living animal

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
The Noahide laws, also known as the Seven Laws of Noah, are a covenant of seven commandments given to Noah's descendants by the Torah:
  • Establish laws
  • Do not worship idols
  • Do not curse God
  • Do not commit murder
  • Do not steal
But after Noah came Jesus, and Jesus gave these two commandments:

[37] Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. [38] This is the first and great commandment. [39] And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. [40] On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

Matt.22 Verses 34 to 40 - Bible, King James Version

YoursTrue

As a Christian you follow the Bible, yes? There are 7 laws given to Noah for humankind that do not follow Torah. Notice, believing in God is not among them. They are just not to curse God, or worship idols. Can't curse something you don't acknowledge exists, now can you? And the way one "sees" God is not mentioned outside of it not being a material object (idol).

• Establish laws
  • Do not worship idols
  • Do not curse God
  • Do not commit murder
  • Do not steal
That is not "who or what God is," is it? I don't think so. Maybe you do.

YoursTrue

This ...

is a claim, not a question.
To clarify--this is what I asked: "do you believe there are those burning and suffering in hell ..." So please excuse, but the question was: ""do you believe there are those burning and suffering in hell." That was a question, not a claim as to what you believe.

Spice

[37] Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. [38] This is the first and great commandment. [39] And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. [40] On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

And Moses had 10 between Noah and Jesus. The key is that the Noahide Laws are for all humankind, Moses for his followers, Jesus for his. But since Noah's was at the beginning of the rejuvenation of man, it still applies to all that did not accept the following of Moses, nor of Jesus. These are the laws of the covenant with man -- no religion -- in the traditional Abrahamic Religion.

Spice

That is not "who or what God is," is it? I don't think so. Maybe you do.
I believe you've sidetracked, again. Back to the same phrase, too.

You keep referring to "who and what God is", so since you "don't think so", please tell me what you do think "who or what God is."

Truthseeker

Non-debating member when I can help myself

He also had the law of divorce, that they shouldn't divorce except for infidelity. He also modified the law of the Sabbath. He upheld the 10 commandments, though not the other laws that Moses spoke of afterwords. These laws hung on the two laws you mentioned above.

Spice

I have yet to find one written in Scriptures. If you know of one, please enlighten me as to where to find the passage.
And that really has nothing to do with a discussion between you and I, now does it? But I listed what believers should know of what the Bible says God expects of the non-believers.

Per Romans 2:15They show that the work of the law is written on their hearts, while their conscience also bears witness, and their conflicting thoughts accuse or even excuse them 16on that day when, [according to my gospel,] God judges the secrets of men by Christ Jesus.

YoursTrue

I have yet to find one written in Scriptures. If you know of one, please enlighten me as to where to find the passage.

And that really has nothing to do with a discussion between you and I, now does it? But I listed what believers should know of what the Bible says God expects of the non-believers.

Per Romans 2:15They show that the work of the law is written on their hearts, while their conscience also bears witness, and their conflicting thoughts accuse or even excuse them 16on that day when, [according to my gospel,] God judges the secrets of men by Christ Jesus.

I believe you've sidetracked, again. Back to the same phrase, too.

You keep referring to "who and what God is", so since you "don't think so", please tell me what you do think "who or what God is."
Please excuse, the discussion is hard for me to follow. Perhaps later.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member

paarsurrey said:
Sure it does, please

(Jesus) Yeshua made it very clear that he has been sent to the House of Israel even as per the Pauline deviant NT Bible, right, please?:
24 He answered, I was sent only to the lost sheep of the house of Israel.”

Yet the deviant Pauline NT Bible would like its innocent/ simple minded followers to believe that since there is no history (Greek/Roman) after Galilee , so Yeshua must have ascended to heavens from Galilee; just another folly (sorry for the strong word) of the Paulines and mistake/contradiction (accusation against Yeshua) of their deviant Pauline NT Bible, please, right?
Do all people who are missing from their homeland all have ascended to Heaven, please, right?
So can you explain why you keep using the expression Pauline deviant NT Bible?
Because NT Bible doesn't present the teachings and deeds of Yeshua- the Israelite Messiah.

Regards

YoursTrue

paarsurrey said:
Sure it does, please

(Jesus) Yeshua made it very clear that he has been sent to the House of Israel even as per the Pauline deviant NT Bible, right, please?:
24 He answered, I was sent only to the lost sheep of the house of Israel.”

Yet the deviant Pauline NT Bible would like its innocent/ simple minded followers to believe that since there is no history (Greek/Roman) after Galilee , so Yeshua must have ascended to heavens from Galilee; just another folly (sorry for the strong word) of the Paulines and mistake/contradiction (accusation against Yeshua) of their deviant Pauline NT Bible, please, right?
Do all people who are missing from their homeland all have ascended to Heaven, please, right?

Because NT Bible doesn't present the teachings and deeds of Yeshua- the Israelite Messiah.

Regards
(Wow.) OK, certainly it presents the teachings and deeds of Jesus, but right now because of the discussion, I'll continue sharing information about Paul for the time being. Unless you want me to discuss with you more about Jesus instead. Being I am one individual, do not perform miracles like undoing blindness and making lame walk, I am a bit boxed In, shall we say, to one subject, at a time. (please?) :) Thank you.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
hmm I wonder if @Jayhawker Soule and/or @Spice agrees with you about that..if they might find some ideas or viewpoints of so-called "Christian viewpoints" disgusting --
There may well be disgusting viewpoints mislabelled by some as Christian, but I can think of no disgusting Christian viewpoint. On the other hand, disgusting anti-Christian viewpoints would not surprise me.

YoursTrue

Namaste
There are commandments In the Bible. Do you ever read it? There are, of course, the Ten Commandments.
There may well be disgusting viewpoints mislabelled by some as Christian, but I can think of no disgusting Christian viewpoint. On the other hand, disgusting anti-Christian viewpoints would not surprise me.
I see. There are surely those who kill others out of religious hatred, or zeal, however they would put it -- would you feel their viewpoints are disgusting?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I often have to point out to creationists that "creationist" does not mean "Christian". Not all Christians are creationists. Not all creationists are Christians. Often I have been accused of attacking Christianity when I attack creationism.