• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does The Bible Contain Errors And Contradictions

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
'All' except for what Jesus actually taught that Scripture is 'religious truth' - John 17:17
Remember: Jesus already forewarned us that MANY would come in his name but prove false - Matthew 7:21-23
The problem that is rather unclear. Obviously he could not have been talking about any of the books of the New Testament. They were not written when it is claimed that Jesus said that. And even worse where is "scripture" ever defined in the Bible?

McBell

Admiral Obvious
'All' except for what Jesus actually taught that Scripture is 'religious truth' - John 17:17
Remember: Jesus already forewarned us that MANY would come in his name but prove false - Matthew 7:21-23
I wonder what it is exactly that Jesus was referring to when He says scripture.
I know that many a person think it means the Bible.
But seeing as the Bible (more specifically the NT) did not exist back then...

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
The problem that is rather unclear. Obviously he could not have been talking about any of the books of the New Testament. They were not written when it is claimed that Jesus said that. And even worse where is "scripture" ever defined in the Bible?
Please keep in mind Jesus based his teachings by his logical reasoning on the old Hebrew Scriptures.
Scripture such as found at Luke 4:16-20

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I see that we agree on that. We know that there were other Hebrew holy books that never became part of the Bible. I wonder if some of them were lost over the years.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Jesus based his teachings by his logical reasoning on the old Hebrew Scriptures
Jesus explained and expounded on them for us

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Please keep in mind Jesus based his teachings by his logical reasoning on the old Hebrew Scriptures.
Scripture such as found at Luke 4:16-20
That only gives us Isaiah as scripture at best. What about Genesis, a book that we know is a collection of morality tales at best. Is it "true" because of the morals of the tales?

Spice

StewardshipPeaceIntergityCommunityEquality
That only gives us Isaiah as scripture at best. What about Genesis, a book that we know is a collection of morality tales at best. Is it "true" because of the morals of the tales?
Copied from a Google search:
Jesus (Yeshua) made many quotes from the Hebrew Tanakh, or the Greek Septuagint (LXX), but He did not quote every book. Along with Song of Solomon, the following were NOT quoted: Judges, Ruth, Ezra, Esther, Ecclesiastes, Lamentations, Obadiah, Jonah, and Zephaniah.

I think it's always wise to discern probability of direct quote from after-the-fact fill in. I have a tendancy to accept his sermons far over the long-after private discussions written in the Gospels.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
The ones (apocryphal) that never became part of the Bible is because they are out of harmony with the harmonious '66' Bible books
You really think the currently accepted 66 book collection referred to as the Bible is "harmonious"?

Is "being harmonious" a requirement for being considered "scripture"?

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
He also said that "from the beginning..." regarding marriage. Mark 10, Jesus said: "It was because your hearts were hard that Moses wrote you this law,” Jesus replied. 6“But at the beginning of creation God ‘made them male and female.’ " So he knew what Moses wrote.

Last edited:

Spice

StewardshipPeaceIntergityCommunityEquality
So you do not know the "exactly" part?
Does anyone?
The Tanaka was completed centuries before Jesus's time, but I would say it would be difficult to guess how much he had been taught, or even directly heard read. It's not like every household had a copy. From the limited research I've done on this question - very interesting, BTW, he quoted from Psalms more than any other. To me that makes sense to be what children would learn to recite from their lessons.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
Copied from a Google search:
Jesus (Yeshua) made many quotes from the Hebrew Tanakh, or the Greek Septuagint (LXX), but He did not quote every book. Along with Song of Solomon, the following were NOT quoted: Judges, Ruth, Ezra, Esther, Ecclesiastes, Lamentations, Obadiah, Jonah, and Zephaniah.

I think it's always wise to discern probability of direct quote from after-the-fact fill in. I have a tendancy to accept his sermons far over the long-after private discussions written in the Gospels.
Also a point to note, the Book of Jasher is mentioned in, but not included in the Bible:

Jos_10:13
And the sun stood still, and the moon stayed, until the people had avenged themselves upon their enemies. Is not this written in the book of Jasher? So the sun stood still in the midst of heaven, and hasted not to go down about a whole day.​
2Sa_1:18
(Also he bade them teach the children of Judah the use of the bow: behold, it is written in the book of Jasher.)​

McBell

Admiral Obvious
Not all believe in holy spirit, or God's active force in preserving and compiling the books set in the Bible. Some do.
That does not address the question:

what it is exactly that Jesus was referring to when He says scripture Post #1083

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
That does not address the question:

what it is exactly that Jesus was referring to when He says scripture Post #1083
Well, he did cite from some scripture, or writings. As I said, for one thing, he told the Jews what he knew that Moses wrote about marriage. And the first man and woman.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
Well, he did cite from some scripture, or writings. As I said, for one thing, he told the Jews what he knew that Moses wrote about marriage. And the first man and woman.
I am not asking if he quoted scripture.
I am asking what specific scripture he quoted from.