• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does The Bible Contain Errors And Contradictions

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Got any data to back that up?
Yes, and the fact that you are unaware of this pretty much tosses your earlier claims. Anyone that has studied the Bible at all knows of this.

Both stories are rather obviously myths with huge holes in their narrations, but let's go over the basic facts first:

Do you agree that Herod the Great was king of Judea in the Matthew version of the nativity myths?

I Am Hugh

Researcher
Yes, and the fact that you are unaware of this pretty much tosses your earlier claims. Anyone that has studied the Bible at all knows of this.

Both stories are rather obviously myths with huge holes in their narrations, but let's go over the basic facts first:

Do you agree that Herod the Great was king of Judea in the Matthew version of the nativity myths?

Data.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
For those that claim to have studied the Bible but are completely unaware of key parts of it, I will post Matthew 2 1:

"2 Now after Jesus was born in Bethlehem of Judea in the days of Herod the king, behold, wise men[c] from the east came to Jerusalem, 2 saying, “Where is he who has been born king of the Jews? For we saw his star when it rose[d] and have come to worship him.” 3 When Herod the king heard this, he was troubled, and all Jerusalem with him; 4 and assembling all the chief priests and scribes of the people, he inquired of them where the Christ was to be born."

I Am Hugh

Researcher
There are also some clear errors if you can read it without prejudice.

We. There may be some clear errors if we can read it without prejudice. We including you and I. The Bible has errors. It's irrelevant.

Subduction Zone said:
For example, the fact that Matthew has Jesus born roughly ten years before Luke does.

I need the data.

Subduction Zone said:

I study the Bible. I claim there are errors. I can demonstrate this; I can show the data. What I don't study, unless presented with the data, is your interpretation of the Bible and your possible errors and bias. What I can do is examine your data and correct it if necessary. Repeating the experiment. Peer review. That sort of thing. My possible ignorance isn't relevant.

Subduction Zone said:

Obviously myths? That is a matter of faith, opinion.

Subduction Zone said:

Okay, admit that you are ignorant of the Bible myths and I will write it out in crayon if necessary. Right now you are not engaging properly.

If you think you can set aside your ego present the data. Then we'll talk.

I Am Hugh

Researcher
There is your "data" @I Am Hugh. Do you agree that Herod was king in the version found in the "Gospel of Matthew"?

Asking me questions isn't presenting the data. If you can't present the data there isn't any point in carrying on, is there? Quoting Matthew isn't presenting the data. Show me the alleged discrepancy between Matthew and Luke. It isn't a puzzle I want to figure out. Show me the data.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
We. There may be some clear errors if we can read it without prejudice. We including you and I. The Bible has errors. It's irrelevant.

I need the data.

I study the Bible. I claim there are errors. I can demonstrate this; I can show the data. What I don't study, unless presented with the data, is your interpretation of the Bible and your possible errors and bias. What I can do is examine your data and correct it if necessary. Repeating the experiment. Peer review. That sort of thing. My possible ignorance isn't relevant.

Obviously myths? That is a matter of faith, opinion.

If you think you can set aside your ego present the data. Then we'll talk.
Please, it is rude to excessively break up posts. And this is an error that is very well known which anyone that has "studied the Bible" would have been aware of.

And you cannot have it both ways. Too many people think that they are "scholars" if they are members of the "do your own research" crowd. You demanded to be spoon fed and I am doing so. Do you agree that Herod the Great was king at the time of Jesus's birth according to Matthew?

I Am Hugh

Researcher
Please, it is rude to excessively break up posts. And this is an error that is very well known which anyone that has "studied the Bible" would have been aware of.

And you cannot have it both ways. Too many people think that they are "scholars" if they are members of the "do your own research" crowd. You demanded to be spoon fed and I am doing so. Do you agree that Herod the Great was king at the time of Jesus's birth according to Matthew?

Thank you. That will be all.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Asking me questions isn't presenting the data. If you can't present the data there isn't any point in carrying on, is there? Quoting Matthew isn't presenting the data. Show me the alleged discrepancy between Matthew and Luke. It isn't a puzzle I want to figure out. Show me the data.
I am trying to do so. You demanded me to spoon feed you. And yes, since we are discussing what is in the Bible quoting pertinent verses is "showing you the data".

Was Herod the Great King of Judea when Jesus was born according to Matthew?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I gave you "data". You demanded to be spoon fed. You demanded to be treated as a child instead of having a rational conversation. I am not moving on until you acknowledge the "data" that you have been given.

I tried to find out how much you knew about this but you did not want to go that route.

I Am Hugh

Researcher
I gave you "data". You demanded to be spoon fed. You demanded to be treated as a child instead of having a rational conversation. I am not moving on until you acknowledge the "data" that you have been given.

I tried to find out how much you knew about this but you did not want to go that route.

It's very simple. You claim a discrepancy between Luke and Matthew regarding the birth of Jesus. Show me. Stop playing games, you're wasting our time.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
It's very simple. You claim a discrepancy between Luke and Matthew regarding the birth of Jesus. Show me. Stop playing games, you're wasting our time.
Please, I gave you "data" (a term that you do not seem to understand). You have not acknowledged it yet. You are the one that is playing games. I tried to have a reasonable discussion at the start. You opted for rudeness. So once again:

"2 Now after Jesus was born in Bethlehem of Judea in the days of Herod the king, behold, wise men[c] from the east came to Jerusalem, "

That is from Matthew, it is Matthew 2 1. Does it show that Jesus was born during the time that Herod was king of Judea?

I Am Hugh

Researcher
Please, I gave you "data" (a term that you do not seem to understand). You have not acknowledged it yet. You are the one that is playing games. I tried to have a reasonable discussion at the start. You opted for rudeness. So once again:

"2 Now after Jesus was born in Bethlehem of Judea in the days of Herod the king, behold, wise men[c] from the east came to Jerusalem, "

That is from Matthew, it is Matthew 2 1. Does it show that Jesus was born during the time that Herod was king of Judea?

:facepalm:

And Luke? Stop asking me questions when it is you who are presenting the data. If Herod is relevant to the equation, show it.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
:facepalm:

And Luke? Stop asking me questions when it is you who are presenting the data. If Herod is relevant to the equation, show it.
You are misusing the face palm. I was not the one that would not go the route of a reasonable conversation and demanded to be spoon fed. You are also being irrational. Since this verse was in response to your demand for "data" I am now following your demands.

You have as of yet to acknowledge that shows that In the Matthew version that Herod was king of Judea when Jesus was born. I promise to move on to the next step once you acknowledge this.

I Am Hugh

Researcher
You are misusing the face palm. I was not the one that would not go the route of a reasonable conversation and demanded to be spoon fed.

Then spoon feed me. How else am I supposed to know what you are talking about? Do you expect me to think the same as you and disagree simultaneously? Do you expect me to make the same assumption or have discussed the same claim previously?

You are also being irrational. Since this verse was in response to your demand for "data" I am now following your demands.

You have as of yet to acknowledge that shows that In the Matthew version that Herod was king of Judea when Jesus was born. I promise to move on to the next step once you acknowledge this.

No, I think we're done. You're just playing silly games. It's insulting.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Then spoon feed me. How else am I supposed to know what you are talking about? Do you expect me to think the same as you and disagree simultaneously? Do you expect me to make the same assumption or have discussed the same claim previously?

No, I think we're done. You're just playing silly games. It's insulting.
I tried to find out how much you knew about this at the very start. You would not be reasonable. You were the one that demanded to be spoon fed and now you are complaining. You played games and got ticked off when I agreed to go by your demands. You cannot have it both ways.

But here is the next spoonful. If you read the Luke narrative you would know that Quirinius had just ordered a census of Judea at the time of Jesus's birth:

"2 In those days Caesar Augustus issued a decree that a census should be taken of the entire Roman world. 2 (This was the first census that took place while[a] Quirinius was governor of Syria.) 3 And everyone went to their own town to register."