• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does The Bible Contain Errors And Contradictions

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
Wow!

Do you think God approves of such division?
It is perfectly normal for a modest amount of division within any single group. Humans simply have differing opinions. It comes from having separate brains. :)
Are you an atheist Jew? As in, ethnically Jewish only?
Oh no. I absolutely do believe in God. Furthermore I am an observant part of the Conservative branch. I keep the Shabbat, eat kosher, enjoy all the Holy Days, etc.

But yeah, although my obsesrvance is conservative, my theology is pretty liberal. I greatly value science and logic.

IndigoChild5559

Oh, I know that.

But anyone who’s studied under Christendom’s influence, doesn’t really “know” the Bible.

Christendom’s leadership thinks it’s ok for their members to kill their brothers, too. (Disobeying Christ.)
So as a whole, they don’t have God’s spirit, which not only provides spiritual enlightenment, but also engenders “love…. peace…. goodness.” - Galatians 5:22,23

But I know some have other reasons, too. I might have been similarly persuaded, reading about the miracles recorded.
But there exist invisible entities, that perform their own ‘miracles.’ For which science has no explanations.
Some posters on here can attest to that.

And these entities have played a role in the establishment of false religious & secular beliefs.
I do appreciate your post. However, I think your debate with "Christendom" is best left for you and other believers in Jesus. I don't really have a dog in the race. Be well. :)

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
We should never say, "It was JUST myth" because myth is an incredibly powerful form of literature.

^ this

I remember being in a class on Ruth when one of the participants asked if it was a myth. The Rabbi walked over to the white-board and wrote

M y t h

and then said: "If it proves to be a compelling and valuable source, does it matter?" [paraphrased - JS]

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
I was a Christian until I sat down and read the bible.
and then one realized "it was human created stories from people trying to explain the world around them which has been used over the centuries by people trying to control them", right?

Regards

Last edited:

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
and then one realized that it is not from (Jesus)Yeshua- the truthful Israelite Messiah, right?

Regards

Wrong. I realised it was human created stories from people trying to explain the world around them which has been used over the centuries by people trying to control them.

IndigoChild5559

and then one realized that it is not from (Jesus)Yeshua- the truthful Israelite Messiah, right?

Regards
This is just arrogantly worded, because it implies that everyone will respond to the Bible the same way you do.

Some people read the Bible, and are moved to the point where they believe it came directly from God. Others feel that way about the Quran. Or the Vedas. In fact, Mormons speak of the "burning in the bosom" that they feel when they read the Book of Mormon.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
We are simply going to have to agree to disagree agreeably. In my view, Adam never existed -- its a wonderful myth, but not history. At no time in our history have we ever been completely good or completely evil. We have always, always been a mix.
First of all, it is always a mistake to assume Jews agree on anything. We have a saying, "Two Jews, three opinions."
While Orthodox Jews often believe Adam to be historical, they are only a minority of Jews.
The great sage Maimonides, who is adored by all religious Jews, wrote that the creation account is allegorical, not literal.
By the time you get to Reform Judaism, it is very rare to find a Jew there that believes Adam is historical.
And remember that many Jews are secular, even Atheist.
Even modern-day national Israel is a fleshly man-made political/commercial endeavor so it is no surprise it is really secular.....
I realize many do Not believe Adam was real, thus with that in mind then none of the Bible is also Not real to them.
To me that thinking does Not make the Bible as wrong

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Wrong. I realised it was human created stories from people trying to explain the world around them which has been used over the centuries by people trying to control them.
False clergy are the people trying to control the flock of God. Jesus never tried to control people to follow him.
False clergy, Not Jesus, especially in war time used the pulpit as a recruiting station so that parents would sacrifice their sons on the Altar of War as it that was the same thing as the Altar of God which it is not
Jesus and his 1st-century followers were neutral in world affairs not even getting involve in the political issues of the day between the Jews and Romans

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
...........................................If I find a person who rejected the gospels for every person you find who accepted them and we go tit for tat for say a hundred years, what does it prove?
Not ' tit for tat ' equal because Jesus already informed us that MANY would prove false, so Not an equal amount but an unequal amount
- Matt. 7:21-23

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
So what then was the rational behind presenting you feel good story?
The rational or being realistic is that Jesus told us his followers would be hated - Matt. 10:22; 24:9; Luke 21:17; John 15:21
Not hated by his genuine followers but by a world alienated from him.
Thus, the one who 'endures to the end will be saved' - Matt. 24:13 - saved/delivered/rescued is the 'feel good' part
Endure faithful to death or be found faithful alive at the soon coming time of separation on Earth - Matt. 25:31-34,37
The figurative 'sheep' can be here to see calendar Day One of Jesus' coming millennium-long day of governing over Earth for a thousand years
The 'sheep' can gain 'everlasting life on Earth' as originally offered to Adam before his downfall
A beautiful feel-good paradisical Earth as described in the 35th chapter of Isaiah

McBell

Admiral Obvious
The rational or being realistic is that Jesus told us his followers would be hated - Matt. 10:22; 24:9; Luke 21:17; John 15:21
Not hated by his genuine followers but by a world alienated from him.
Thus, the one who 'endures to the end will be saved' - Matt. 24:13 - saved/delivered/rescued is the 'feel good' part
Endure faithful to death or be found faithful alive at the soon coming time of separation on Earth - Matt. 25:31-34,37
The figurative 'sheep' can be here to see calendar Day One of Jesus' coming millennium-long day of governing over Earth for a thousand years
The 'sheep' can gain 'everlasting life on Earth' as originally offered to Adam before his downfall
A beautiful feel-good paradisical Earth as described in the 35th chapter of Isaiah
How are you able to stay awake long enough to finish a sermon post?

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
OK.
I feel sure that Geza Vermes had lost faith in the gospels, for sure.
His book describes how The gospels changed Jesus from a man to a lord and on to a God.
Yes! That would be something wouldn’t it?!

I mean, all his life with the church which teaches that Jesus is God, then he reads the Bible, and finds out that Jesus himself didn’t support that concept but rather, continuously implied that his Father was “the only true God.” G-John is full of that.

I myself do like much of Mark's gospel but with additions and fiddlings removed. I do like many of the anecdotes and accounts from Matthew and Luke, but G-John leaves the history far behind in favour of the young church's dogmas.
Well, some in Christendom did add a few words to John’s writings, such as the Comma Johanneum at 1 John 5:7. Maybe others; did you have some in mind?
Paul shows this perfectly in his letters to the congregations where he repeatedly needs to remind all about Jesus's last supper, execution and miraculous resurrection but amazingly doesn't write ONE SENTENCE about anything else that Jesus said or did.
I guess Paul wanted to emphasize and highlight what was really the purpose for Jesus’ coming to the earth.

Although Paul did mention something that not even the other Gospels recorded…. Acts 20:35, in Paul’s speech to the Ephesians brothers.
I asked you to choose any gospel account of what Jesus did later on during Palm Sunday....that was my offering of an alternative story. Did you decide on an account from the gospels?
Honestly, I’m not sure what Palm Sunday is about.

Do you feel John’s account of this event differs from the other gospel accounts?

Was that one of the times when Jesus visited the Temple?

I’m gonna dig into it.

Good night, my friend.

IndigoChild5559

I realize many do Not believe Adam was real, thus with that in mind then none of the Bible is also Not real to them.
To me that thinking does Not make the Bible as wrong
It all depends on what you mean as "real," whether you are saying historical and accurate, or whether you are saying it teaches lessons that we need to know.

It is my position that parts of the Tanakh are historical and other parts are fictions, and fiction is not required to be historical. I also see that the Bible has contradictions and errors, scientific, historical, and ethical. However, I value and believe the lessons it teaches. Thus I rightly can say I believe the Jewish Bible.

Tinker Grey

Wanderer
^ this

I remember being in a class on Ruth when one of the participants asked if it was a myth. The Rabbi walked over to the white-board and wrote

M y t h

and then said: "If it proves to be a compelling and valuable source, does it matter?" [paraphrased - JS]
As has been said, "The Bible is true; and, some of it happened."