• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does The Bible Contain Errors And Contradictions

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
As has been said, "The Bible is true; and, some of it happened."
... and the 'some' that has Not yet happened is recorded at 1st Thessalonians 5:2-3 - besides Isaiah 11:3-4; Revelation 19:14-15
When the powers in charge are saying, " Peace and Security...." in some BIG way, that Rosy saying can lead people down that old Primrose Path as if wearing rose-colored glasses instead of realizing the coming 'time of separation' is near at hand - Matt. 25:31-34,37

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
... and the 'some' that has Not yet happened is recorded at 1st Thessalonians 5:2-3 - besides Isaiah 11:3-4; Revelation 19:14-15
When the powers in charge are saying, " Peace and Security...." in some BIG way, that Rosy saying can lead people down that old Primrose Path as if wearing rose-colored glasses instead of realizing the coming 'time of separation' is near at hand - Matt. 25:31-34,37
The time was near at hand ever since the crucifixion. Jesus predicted that he would return when at least some of the disciples were still alive. I am totally unaware of any 2,000 year old Hebrews walking around.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
My Hebrew stinks, but here is a Jewish translation of Jeremiah 17:9:
The heart is deceitful above all things, and when it is sick, who will recognize it?

Translation is a choice and, like all choices, can be
  • more or less informed, and
  • more or less biased,
hence the common admonition that every every translation is an interpretation.

Regarding Jeremiah 17:9, it is likely a mistake to read הַלֵּ֛ב (lev) and think "heart" as we find it in today's prose, but rather as it's examined in, e.g., the Jewish Encyclopedia: heart. With that in mind, Robert Alter offers the following translation:

More crooked the heart than all things,​
it is grievously ill and who can fathom it?​

He then notes:

While the adjective `aqov certainly suggests "deceitful," as many translators reflect, the root meaning of "crookrd" is worth preserving. This is the etymology of Jacob's name, as the angry Esau reminds us in Genesis 27:36.​

Parenthetically. the caution about reading "heart" through a modern-day lens also applies to text such as ...

... I will harden Pharaoh’s heart, that I may multiply My signs and marvels in the land of Egypt. [Ex. 7:3]​

Elijah2

When the ALMIGHTY God said "Let us make man in our image," he was clearly speaking to someone.
Judaism has been busy to alter what came before - for at least 3000 years. Rome altering things just added folly to their errors.
In the dialogue of proto-Deuteronomy (THE VALEDICTION OF MOSES - OR - THE MOSES SCROLL (TWO BOOKS ON IT) we find Elohim naming himself throughout in the dialogue. In this, he claims to be "God of gods", as well as creator of all. That is what the record of 3000 years ago said - five pages of common sense and wisdom - versus what we have now in 34 chapters of law codes and tituals - that Elohim said nothing about.

Elijah2

Close, but not quite right:

IF he was, so what?

I understand you are trying real hard to put him in a bad light, for whatever reason(s), but given your dishonest presentation over the book you mentioned above, I will most definitely need more than your word...

Warn you of what?
You do know that King James did not do any of the translating, right?

Told you what?
It was public knowledge back then that he wrote a few books.
So other than your baseless accusations of homosexuality and "perversions" (whatever that is supposed to mean) what is it exactly you think you should have been "warned" about?

Which one of the versions of the Bible is that YOU claim is the one true word of god?
You are not speaking from knowledge or truth - but from traditions of altered scriptures. If you want to study what Jesus did teach - in depth - see the link on the Hebrew Matthew - tons of references to back up his teachings that prove the other gospels inferior or lies.

King James had an agenda to fulfill with his "translation" - if you think it was unbiased, you're not educated to history or facts.

For a small example - king James would go hunting, then after killing his prey he would strip naked and roll around in the blood. Does that sound normal? Have you ever heard of this as a common practice?;=)

You can choose how you live, who you believe, and whether you will serve God on His terms - or not. It's your life and future, and you will have no option to plea out with the Evangelical Gospel of lies against God and Jesus. God will not go against what He actually said. Even Adam and Eve learned that lesson....

If you can disprove what I've put on line - I'd love to know. Maybe you can start with "Romans Proves Paul Lied". If you'd like a hard copy, it's on Amazon now.

Elijah2

Close, but not quite right:

IF he was, so what?

I understand you are trying real hard to put him in a bad light, for whatever reason(s), but given your dishonest presentation over the book you mentioned above, I will most definitely need more than your word...

Warn you of what?
You do know that King James did not do any of the translating, right?

Told you what?
It was public knowledge back then that he wrote a few books.
So other than your baseless accusations of homosexuality and "perversions" (whatever that is supposed to mean) what is it exactly you think you should have been "warned" about?

Which one of the versions of the Bible is that YOU claim is the one true word of god?
You are not speaking from knowledge or truth - but from traditions of altered scriptures. If you want to study what Jesus did teach - in depth - see the link on the Hebrew Matthew - tons of references to back up his teachings that prove the other gospels inferior or lies.

The Life of as as son

King James had an agenda to fulfill with his "translation" - if you think it was unbiased, you're not educated to history or facts.

For a small example - king James would go hunting, then after killing his prey he would strip naked and roll around in the blood. Does that sound normal? Have you ever heard of this as a common practice?;=)

You can choose how you live, who you believe, and whether you will serve God on His terms - or not. It's your life and future, and you will have no option to plea out with the Evangelical Gospel of lies against God and Jesus. God will not go against what He actually said. Even Adam and Eve learned that lesson....

If you can disprove what I've put on line - I'd love to know. Maybe you can start with "Romans Proves Paul Lied". If you'd like a hard copy, it's on Amazon now. Romans Proves Paul Lied

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member

If you can disprove what I've put on line - I'd love to know. Maybe you can start with "Romans Proves Paul Lied". If you'd like a hard copy, it's on Amazon now.

What "Hebrew Matthew"? There was a claim of an early Christian that Matthew supposedly wrote a Gospel in Matthew, but a biblical scholar could explain to you how they know that the original language for the Gospel of Matthew was Koine Greek and that it was not written by Matthew. That name was not attached to it until the second century.

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
Judaism has been busy to alter what came before - for at least 3000 years. Rome altering things just added folly to their errors.
I would agree with that.
In the dialogue of proto-Deuteronomy (THE VALEDICTION OF MOSES - OR - THE MOSES SCROLL (TWO BOOKS ON IT) we find Elohim naming himself throughout in the dialogue. In this, he claims to be "God of gods", as well as creator of all. That is what the record of 3000 years ago said - five pages of common sense and wisdom - versus what we have now in 34 chapters of law codes and tituals - that Elohim said nothing about.
I'm sorry, I don't understand that, so if you want to be more specific that's fine. But thank you.

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
What "Hebrew Matthew"? There was a claim of an early Christian that Matthew supposedly wrote a Gospel in Matthew, but a biblical scholar could explain to you how they know that the original language for the Gospel of Matthew was Koine Greek and that it was not written by Matthew. That name was not attached to it until the second century.
I doubt you'll get an answer from some people.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
You are not speaking from knowledge or truth
images.jpg

Please be so kind as to present a translator that does not have an agenda.
I'll wait.

Source.

*yawn*
Bold empty threats do not impress anyone outside your choir.

I am no more interested in your sermons than you are in addressing the points presented in post your responded to.

Elijah2

View attachment 94168

Please be so kind as to present a translator that does not have an agenda.
I'll wait.

Source.

*yawn*
Bold empty threats do not impress anyone outside your choir.

The source about King James is "Demonology" - the current edition available to anyone from Amazon. The book is basically a reprint, but does have a short historical Introduction. Have you ever actually read the book to know what you are talking about - you'd have to start with the introduction if you are just reading the book. The rest of your reply is no less lame than your initial salvo, so I'm not going to give you an education via posts. Read some books by Ancient Biblical Scholars who are from Harvard or Oxford levels - even the Jewish Scholarship if you dare. I have no time for trite replies.Maybe I'm on the wrong forum for thoughtful or educated discussion.
I am no more interested in your sermons than you are in addressing the points presented in post your responded to.

Elijah2

I would agree with that.

I'm sorry, I don't understand that, so if you want to be more specific that's fine. But thank you.
Ancient scrolls found in the 19th century, before the DSS, were rejected. There were 13 scrolls found of what has now been termed "proto-Deuteronomy" - Deuteronomy as it existed 3000 years ago - before it was morphed into 34 Chapters. The records were studied by Idan Dershowitz, translated, and published in 2021 as "THE VALEDICTION OF MOSES." What we have now is not what is was to start with, and if there is a God who gave it, He said He will not alter the words He spoke - so "V" answers many questions Hebrew scholars had about inconsistencies in the Scriptures. For me, it cleared up a lot about Jesus' teachings - and gave the clarity to also see where Rome had altered our records - given Jesus inspired grasp of teaching the Covenant Standards to restore them to manking - via Matthew.
see my site for more info. Several links are there. Also one proving Romans is not true.
Romans Proves Paul Lied

McBell

Admiral Obvious
The source about King James is "Demonology" - the current edition available to anyone from Amazon. The book is basically a reprint, but does have a short historical Introduction. Have you ever actually read the book to know what you are talking about - you'd have to start with the introduction if you are just reading the book. The rest of your reply is no less lame than your initial salvo, so I'm not going to give you an education via posts. Read some books by Ancient Biblical Scholars who are from Harvard or Oxford levels - even the Jewish Scholarship if you dare. I have no time for trite replies.Maybe I'm on the wrong forum for thoughtful or educated discussion.
Like I already said:

I am no more interested in your sermons than you are in addressing the points presented in post your responded to.​

I Am Hugh

Researcher
The Holy Bible has been the worlds best selling book, in every generation since the printing press was invented many centuries ago.

Has it? What is the second and third? Where's your data?

Many Historians have studied the 66 books of the Bible, and compared them to secular contemporaries, to see if they could find any contradiction or errors. Most of those who set out to find faults with the Bible, became devout Christians instead. Because they found no faults of contradictions.

No. First of all, I may be one that set out to debunk the Bible and became a believer, but I would think that not the norm. I don't have the data so I couldn't say for sure, but far more importantly - finding faults in the Bible is a relatively easy task so long as you don't have your own biases. Contradictions are usually due more to misinterpretation, mistranslation, but there are still contradictions. Usually due to copyist errors.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Has it? What is the second and third? Where's your data?

No. First of all, I may be one that set out to debunk the Bible and became a believer, but I would think that not the norm. I don't have the data so I couldn't say for sure, but far more importantly - finding faults in the Bible is a relatively easy task so long as you don't have your own biases. Contradictions are usually due more to misinterpretation, mistranslation, but there are still contradictions. Usually due to copyist errors.
There are also some clear errors if you can read it without prejudice. For example the fact that Matthew has Jesus born roughly ten years before Luke does.