• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Evolution and Creationism: because ...

Sapiens

Polymathematician
Prove it to me, show me one GMO that is improved from what God created. You can't artificially mutate a food product to be superior, how the hell could it happen naturally. GMO's are sn embarrassment to evolutionists. What good has your belief dond for this world?
Reduced need for herbicides
Reduced need of pesticides
Reduced greenhouse emissions as GMOs require less tillage or plowing, thus less use of fossil fuels
Ability to manipulate foods to increase desirable components such as nutrients
Increased production of food for starving third world countries.

Sapiens

Polymathematician
Evolutionary theory was first taught by economists. If you weren't economically viable, you weren't seemed fit to survive. I know a rabbi with a wife and 5 boys who collects food stamps and WIC. Not economically viable, but he is worth more to more people than many tax paying working stiffs.
Social Darwinists did not come first, Darwin, for example, was not an Economist and he was the very first. Social Darwinists did not even understand actual Darwinism.

What doe the Rabbi have to with anything?

Brian Schuh

Social Darwinists did not come first, Darwin, for example, was not an Economist and he was the very first. Social Darwinists did not even understand actual Darwinism.

Sometimes those who are not economically viable reproduce and survive better then those that seem more fit to survive.

Can we agree that social Darwinism is false?

Brian Schuh

Reduced greenhouse emissions as GMOs require less tillage or plowing, thus less use of fossil fuels
I'll have to research this one. Those who sell organic food seem to make a case that genetically modified foods cause more harm than good.

Brian Schuh

Hindus have taught something similar to evolution for thousands of years.

Brian Schuh

Maybe there are some benefits. I smoke tobacco that is genetically modified to have more nicotine. It does seem like very strong tobacco.

But many say GMO's cause more harm than good.

Brian Schuh

Evolution was first an economic theory before it was a scientific one. And Hindus have believed in evolution for thousands of years. Check history. I am more of a historian than you. You will find that strict capitalism weeds out those who society deems unfit to survive. Evil men have used evolution as an excuse to force eugenics on society. You can see it in the past like Nazi Germany and other places.

This is the reason I refuse to believe in evolution.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Evolution was first an economic theory before it was a scientific one. And Hindus have believed in evolution for thousands of years. Check history. I am more of a historian than you. You will find that strict capitalism weeds out those who society deems unfit to survive. Evil men have used evolution as an excuse to force eugenics on society. You can see it in the past like Nazi Germany and other places.

Do you drive a car?

My point is that a car can be used for good, evil, or something in between, and the same can be said about the ToE. The latter simply tells us what happened, but how we use that information is up to us as individuals and as a society.

McBell

Admiral Obvious

Do you apply this same line of "reasoning" to other things?
Abortion?
rape?
guns?
matches?

Brian Schuh

Do you apply this same line of "reasoning" to other things?
Abortion?
rape?
guns?
matches?
Religion is meant to help people behave and have hope and dignity. This is a religious forum. Eugenics is alive and well in the US, even now. Natural selection means natural selection, not selection imposed by society or government. Evolution has done more harm than good, so we are better off without it.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
Religion is meant to help people behave and have hope and dignity. This is a religious forum. Eugenics is alive and well in the US, even now. Natural selection means natural selection, not selection imposed by society or government. Evolution has done more harm than good, so we are better off without it.
interesting how you completely ignored the question in the post you "replied" to....

Brian Schuh

You all don't seem to understand, religion doesn't strive to seek absolute truth, religious leaders teach what is best for society in their best judgment, which changes over time. Not even the Bible writers attempted to write what actually happened. Since the Holocaust, a few Jews said it is just better to believe. Pharisees taught there was afterlife back in the first century but might not have even believed it, because the people needed to believe. Y'all came from some kind of monkey, I came from Noah. The truth of a religion is determined by the good it does for society, not by carbon dating. Do you understand?

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
You all don't seem to understand, religion doesn't strive to seek absolute truth, religious leaders teach what is best for society in their best judgment, which changes over time. Not even the Bible writers attempted to write what actually happened. Since the Holocaust, a few Jews said it is just better to believe. Pharisees taught there was afterlife back in the first century but might not have even believed it, because the people needed to believe. Y'all came from some kind of monkey, I came from Noah. The truth of a religion is determined by the good it does for society, not by carbon dating. Do you understand?
What does the phrase word-salad mean to you?

Sapiens

Polymathematician
I'll have to research this one. Those who sell organic food seem to make a case that genetically modified foods cause more harm than good.
I grow organic food. IMHO most involved in that world come to the right conclusion through a wrong and semi-spiritual path that I do not walk.

Sapiens

Polymathematician
Maybe there are some benefits. I smoke tobacco that is genetically modified to have more nicotine. It does seem like very strong tobacco.

But many say GMO's cause more harm than good.

Only those with the luxury of a full belly. I avoid GMO just as I do non-organic ... but I'm just being careful because I can afford to . It is not part of a belief system.

Sapiens

Polymathematician

It's not a question of your refusal to believe in evolution, it i a question of your refusal to accept the facts on the basis of something that has nothing to do with evolution. Seems a bit peculiar to me.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
You are saying we are better off not having knowledge and information about the world around us.

And you're serious?