• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Evolution and Creationism: because ...

Sapiens

Polymathematician
I am willfully ignorant of many subjects, because I don't need to know them to earn a living. Topology is a branch of math I don't need. If you refuse to learn topology, then you are willfully ignorant. So you see all people are ignorant of most subjects. Most people know only one or two subjects. I bet you don't know Yugoslavian history. You, sir are wallowing in ignorance of Yugoslavian history.
There are many things that I am ignorant of, there is nothing that I am willfully ignorant of, rather I'm just a bit short on time. If I live long enough I will find a way to get back to topology and even Balkan history.

Brian Schuh

There are many things that I am ignorant of, there is nothing that I am willfully ignorant of, rather I'm just a bit short on time. If I live long enough I will find a way to get back to topology and even Balkan history.
Good. I have a lot to study. I'm short on time as well. And I choose what is important and what is not. Evolutionary theory isn't important to me. What my Creator requires is.

Sapiens

Polymathematician
Good. I have a lot to study. I'm short on time as well. And I choose what is important and what is not. Evolutionary theory isn't important to me. What my Creator requires is.
Think of all the time you spend worrying about what a non-existent creator "requires" that of you that you could be spending learning something that you might unexpectedly find useful.

AndromedaRXJ

And I choose what is important and what is not. Evolutionary theory isn't important to me.

How do you know it's not important to you if you're ignorant of the subject?

People living during the back plague didn't know the importance of not having open wounds. Instead, a lot of them voluntarily got whipped because they thought they had to repent.

Parsimony

I am willfully ignorant of many subjects, because I don't need to know them to earn a living. Topology is a branch of math I don't need. If you refuse to learn topology, then you are willfully ignorant. So you see all people are ignorant of most subjects. Most people know only one or two subjects. I bet you don't know Yugoslavian history. You, sir are wallowing in ignorance of Yugoslavian history.
There is nothing wrong with willful ignorance of things that are ultimately unimportant for an individual or doesn't affect them. However, it is a concern when those same people who are willfully ignorant of a subject try to debunk it. How can someone debunk something that they don't understand?

Brian Schuh

There is nothing wrong with willful ignorance of things that are ultimately unimportant for an individual or doesn't affect them. However, it is a concern when those same people who are willfully ignorant of a subject try to debunk it. How can someone debunk something that they don't understand?
In your face, you show contempt for my religion prior to investigation. I don't show contempt for evolutionary theory. I just don't care.

Brian Schuh

Moses was the greatest legislator. The Torah is the foundation of Western civilization. Jews claim credit for the Tanakh, the New Testament and the Koran. Y'all willfully ignorant of the bottom line. A man convinced against his will, is of the same opinion still.

Brian Schuh

Jews wrote the New Testament except for the Gospel of Luke and the Acts of the Apostles. And one of the wives of Mohammed was Jewish and taught him what to write in the Koran. We of the Jewish faith wrote the holy books of the West. You all show contempt for what you know not. You all are perpetually ignorant. I passed my biology exams in evolution. You all don't even know Torah 101.

Sapiens

Polymathematician
In your face, you show contempt for my religion prior to investigation. I don't show contempt for evolutionary theory. I just don't care.
Your attempt to debunk that which demonstrably you know nothing about shows contempt, or hubris, or both. I have no contempt for your religion, merely informed indifference.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
The difference between you and me is that I am not arguing from willful ignorance.
That would be you.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
Except you flat out admitted your contempt for evolution....

Rather difficult to take you seriously at this point.

Parsimony

Where have I shown contempt for your religion, much less prior to investigation? I believe you said that you are a Jew, yes? Feel free to be a Jew. I have no problems with that. Given that I was a young Earth creationist for the majority of my life, I most certainly have investigated that side of the matter. Being a Jew, however, is not synonymous with being a young Earth creationist. Jews exist who accept an old Earth and evolution. I don't think one's religion should be a license to reject scientific evidence.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
That's not what I'm saying.

You were saying that there is knowledge/information about how our world operates that should be selectively and purposely ignored. That knowledge about the diversity of life on earth is potentially dangerous because ... Hitler, or something.

Personally, I want to learn as much as I can about this world I live in before I die. Knowledge makes for an informed viewpoint. Knowledge is how we progress and grow as a society and as individuals within that society. Knowledge and information is the difference between living in a world where half of children suffer and die from smallpox/polio/measles/diptheria/hepatitis before the age of five and a world where we have vaccines to prevent such terrible illnesses. It's the difference between having no idea where lightning comes from, and a world where we have harnessed electricity to our advantage. It's the difference between living in a world where people are tortured and burned alive for practicing witchcraft and/or heresy and a world where superstition doesn't rule. Knowledge makes a world of difference.

Do we want to live in a society of people who know and understand what is going on around them, or do we want a society of ignorant, ill-informed or uninformed people? I want to live in the first one.

Brian Schuh

Your attempt to debunk that which demonstrably you know nothing about shows contempt, or hubris, or both. I have no contempt for your religion, merely informed indifference.
That's petty much the way I feel about evolution. I said it over and over. I really don't care. I'm just curious why you feel a need to push it on others who could care less.

Brian Schuh

Except you flat out admitted your contempt for evolution....

Rather difficult to take you seriously at this point.
I show a contempt for eugenics and those who use Darwinism to weed out undesirables. And I'm not ignorant of this, I'm more informed than average.

Brian Schuh

That's not what I'm saying.

You were saying that there is knowledge/information about how our world operates that should be selectively and purposely ignored. That knowledge about the diversity of life on earth is potentially dangerous because ... Hitler, or something.

Personally, I want to learn as much as I can about this world I live in before I die. Knowledge makes for an informed viewpoint. Knowledge is how we progress and grow as a society and as individuals within that society. Knowledge and information is the difference between living in a world where half of children suffer and die from smallpox/polio/measles/diptheria/hepatitis before the age of five and a world where we have vaccines to prevent such terrible illnesses. It's the difference between having no idea where lightning comes from, and a world where we have harnessed electricity to our advantage. It's the difference between living in a world where people are tortured and burned alive for practicing witchcraft and/or heresy and a world where superstition doesn't rule. Knowledge makes a world of difference.

Do we want to live in a society of people who know and understand what is going on around them, or do we want a society of ignorant, ill-informed or uninformed people? I want to live in the first one.
All that knowledge you mention has practical benefit, much of what evolutionists teach doesn't. Genetically modified food, case in point. No one would starve without genetically modified foods. That's a lie.

Brian Schuh

The Nazis forced vasectomies on schizophrenic men. Modern Germany has the same percentage of schizophrenics today as it had before the forced sterilization, proving schizophrenia isn't genetic. Yet scientists are still trying to find the schizophrenic gene, wasting taxpayer dollars, which could have gone to give more poor people foodstamps.

Brian Schuh

Eugenics is alive in the USA today. Believe it or not, it might be hard to believe, there are forced abortions on mentally ill women. Psych meds often cause serious reproductive harm. And it is next to impossible for the mentally ill to get a marriage license. With psych drugs, most of time, there is no informed consent. They are treated like undesirables in USA, like they were in Nazi Germany. Without Darwin, eugenics would not have become so popular. It's a fact. If you disagree, you are false.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
All that knowledge you mention has practical benefit, much of what evolutionists teach doesn't. Genetically modified food, case in point. No one would starve without genetically modified foods. That's a lie.
Evolution has plenty of practical benefit. Medicine comes to mind right off the top of my head. Better understanding of hereditary disease is another.