• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Evolution, maybe someone can explain?

Astrophile

Let's see if you can answer this: how probable is it that visitors from outer space dropped the essential elements to start the growth of life on earth?
I think it is extremely improbable, and that the idea is bordering on pseudoscience. As I have said before, the logical difficulty with all such hypotheses is that the extra-terrestrial visitors themselves must have evolved from simpler forms of life. Either this simpler life got started somehow on the visitors' planet, or a previous generation of alien visitors started life on 'our' visitors' planet.

The first hypothesis merely moves the problem of abiogenesis to a different planet without solving it; the second leads to the same problem of the origin of the previous generation of alien visitors. This leads to an infinite regress, like the old question of 'who made God?'.

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
I think it is extremely improbable, and that the idea is bordering on pseudoscience. As I have said before, the logical difficulty with all such hypotheses is that the extra-terrestrial visitors themselves must have evolved from simpler forms of life. Either this simpler life got started somehow on the visitors' planet, or a previous generation of alien visitors started life on 'our' visitors' planet.

The first hypothesis merely moves the problem of abiogenesis to a different planet without solving it; the second leads to the same problem of the origin of the previous generation of alien visitors. This leads to an infinite regress, like the old question of 'who made God?'.
Let me put it this way to clarify what I believe. I believe in the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth. There is nothing that I figure in which a spaceship from "outerspace" would have come with substances to drop on the earth and initiate life here. But some do think it could have happened that way. I mean looking at it through the lens of others, why couldn't life on earth started with aliens from outerspace in a spaceship depositing stuff on the earth? (That's not what I believe though -- but looking at it so-called "logically," by science -- why not?)

McBell

Admiral Obvious
Let me put it this way to clarify what I believe. I believe in the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth. There is nothing that I figure in which a spaceship from "outerspace" would have come with substances to drop on the earth and initiate life here. But some do think it could have happened that way. I mean looking at it through the lens of others, why couldn't life on earth started with aliens from outerspace in a spaceship depositing stuff on the earth? (That's not what I believe though -- but looking at it so-called "logically," by science -- why not?)
When are you going to reveal the names of these scientists?
Your claim, your homework.

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
When are you going to reveal the names of these scientists?
Your claim, your homework.

1729035235586.jpeg

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)

While I find it mentally staggering, God always was and is. And always will be. I know by logic that humans were not *always here.* I don't really need proof because my mind and logic tells me that humans, like dogs and cats, had a beginning to their existence. Oh yes, also the Bible tells me humans had a beginning, they (we) weren't "always here..." Please don't get me wrong -- I am not likening humans to dogs and cats, just to the logic of their existence. I also believe "I" wasn't here (around) before I was formed by physical means between two people in my mother's womb. I do not believe the stories others may tell about souls injecting into bodies, as if they may transfer from animal to human and so forth.
So we all have beliefs, some based on logic, some based on belief. I used to work for a publishing house that published stories by scientists whom I guess enjoyed writing science fiction as a hobby. That was when I was young and not into things like that, meaning I didn't care or question what a scientist might believe or imagine. But now it makes more sense that a scientist might desire to write sci-fi based on what is not known*.
Take care, nice talking with you a little bit.
*not that I would agree...now...