• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Explain this logically christians....

cottage

If God didn't care he wouldn't have sent his "only begotten" son to die for the sins of strangers who just blame him for everything that happens! It is easy to point a finger...would you send a loved one from your family to die for people you don't even know? I would find it hard to believe.
I never heard of any dictator in history giving his life or one of his loved ones for his people.

By the very definition of the term a 'dictator' isn’t going to martyr himself, for the benefit of the dictated - and nor did God! Somewhat absurdly he sent his son to a death that supposedly was to atone for man’s sin. Now, remember that sin can only exist because God caused/allowed it to exist, otherwise the contrary must be the case, where God didn’t cause/allow sin to exist but mankind defied and opposed an omnipotent God, which is a direct contradiction. And if that isn’t ridiculous enough, God then proceeded to resurrect his dead son to live with him in heaven! So not only did God not sacrifice his son, but the sinning continues to this day. At best it was a pointless exercise, at its worse it was a poor attempt at deception – a moral lie.

Commoner

Headache
Thanks for illustrating my point so effectively.

I rest my case.

Well, at first I was jumping up and down at the prospect of coming up with things you might want to take a "look at", but then I remembered I wasn't actually into the whole masochism thing that much, you know?

Glad I could help though!

Maury83

Cottage....have you ever read the Bible? By your comments it seems you are basing yourself on word of mouth rarther then knowledge....The Bible explains that God's plans are for the benefit of mankind. He wants sin to be done away with and he wants to restore paradise on earth, thats when all the dead will be resurrected and people worldwide will live forever. There are many bible accounts that show that God is a God of love....

Copernicus

Industrial Strength Linguist
Cottage....have you ever read the Bible? By your comments it seems you are basing yourself on word of mouth rarther then knowledge....The Bible explains that God's plans are for the benefit of mankind. He wants sin to be done away with and he wants to restore paradise on earth, thats when all the dead will be resurrected and people worldwide will live forever. There are many bible accounts that show that God is a God of love....
The Bible does not "explain" that God's plans are for the benefit of mankind. It may make claims to that effect in several places, but that is not the same as an explanation. The question in this thread is what possible logical justification there could be for the kind of suffering described in the OP. The Bible does not explain that, and defenders of faith in God have been struggling to come up with an explanation. We keep coming back to the theme of "free will", but nobody seems to be able to explain how that argument works.

cottage

I’m sorry but words in the Bible even if considered legitimate are still confounded by the inconsistent triad, more commonly known as the Problem of Evil. If God is all-good and omnipotent then why is there evil? And the question isn’t answered by speaking of ‘God’s plan’ being to do away with evil, for it is the existence of evil per se that is the problem. If God were to dismiss evil from the earth upon the instant, the fact of its existence would remain; for even God cannot re-write history or undo what is already done.

Blackheart

...You say this as though it's a bad thing. Wouldn't it be an improvement ifthere were no accidents?

It would be an improvement if there was no sin and, in this particular case, there would therefore be no accident. The problem is that there is sin and there are accidents so the question is how do you deal with this reality? Imagine a world where we all had free will but no one chose to sin. Thats what God's plan is and that's what would prevent this type of thing. In the meanwhile we will always get people choosing to do bad things which hurt others.

Dont blame God, blame the drunk driver.

PolyHedral

Superabacus Mystic
S'right! Even God can't do the logically impossible!
Rewriting history is hardly logically impossible. Big Brother managed it quite well. :D

It would be an improvement if there was no sin and, in this particular case, there would therefore be no accident. The problem is that there is sin and there are accidents so the question is how do you deal with this reality? Imagine a world where we all had free will but no one chose to sin. Thats what God's plan is and that's what would prevent this type of thing. In the meanwhile we will always get people choosing to do bad things which hurt others.

Dont blame God, blame the drunk driver.
But God hasn't acted, and is thus at fault.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
The Bible does not "explain" that God's plans are for the benefit of mankind. It may make claims to that effect in several places, but that is not the same as an explanation. The question in this thread is what possible logical justification there could be for the kind of suffering described in the OP. The Bible does not explain that, and defenders of faith in God have been struggling to come up with an explanation. We keep coming back to the theme of "free will", but nobody seems to be able to explain how that argument works.

the bible does explain why people suffer...its quite clear when it describes how Adam and Eve lost Gods special protection after they were expelled from Eden. What happened to them from day to day was governed by chance and not by God’s direction as it had been in Eden.
So as ecclesiasties says: “because time and unforeseen occurrence befall them all...12 For man also does not know his time. Just like fishes that are being taken in an evil net, and like birds that are being taken in a trap, so the sons of men themselves are being ensnared at a calamitous time, when it falls upon them suddenly”
good people and bad suffer similarly from natural disasters, accidents, fires, and so forth is a fact of pure chance in a world alienated from Gods protection.

The life they chose is the reason for our suffering.

waitasec

Veteran Member
the bible does explain why people suffer...its quite clear when it describes how Adam and Eve lost Gods special protection after they were expelled from Eden. What happened to them from day to day was governed by chance and not by God’s direction as it had been in Eden.

well that doesn't make sense if you take into account the flood and the tower of babel....

no chaos there, this was intended by god.

[/QUOTE]

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
well that doesn't make sense if you take into account the flood and the tower of babel....

no chaos there, this was intended by god.

Yes, i should have included "except for special instances involving the accomplishment of God’s own purpose"

God has never lost interest in mankind...he's always been there and at times has intervened as many bible accounts demonstrate. But this does not mean that he intervenes for every person in every situation of life.

waitasec

Veteran Member
Yes, i should have included "except for special instances involving the accomplishment of God’s own purpose"

oh i see how convenient...
special instances...
hmmm, wonder why god didn't cause confusion amoung man when creating the atomic bomb and allowed for the destruction of hiroshima and nagasaki...
would that be considered as a special instance?
but no, god was afraid that man could actually make a tower that could reach the heavens and thusly him :facepalm:

God has never lost interest in mankind...he's always been there and at times has intervened as many bible accounts demonstrate. But this does not mean that he intervenes for every person in every situation of life.

tell that to the victims of ww,i wwii, Vietnam, 9/11 angola, zimbabwe or the republic of congo...
i think there have ample reasons for god to intervene...and hasn't...ever wonder why that is?

Blackheart

Rewriting history is hardly logically impossible. Big Brother managed it quite well. :D

But God hasn't acted, and is thus at fault.

Your missing the point. It isnt for God to act. It is for us to use our free will in positive ways so that this kind of thing doesnt happen. The person who caused this accident chose to use his freewill in a negative way which ultimately led to the deaths.

crocusj

Your missing the point. It isnt for God to act. It is for us to use our free will in positive ways so that this kind of thing doesnt happen. The person who caused this accident chose to use his freewill in a negative way which ultimately led to the deaths.

How so? The bible is full of an "acting god". Did God create the universe? Let me ask you this, if I had killed Lazarus would it have been ok for Jesus to raise him?

waitasec

Veteran Member

but then when we want to use our knowledge he causes confusion?
he acts...and is involved. the tower of babel.

you can't have it both ways...
you do understand that is why some call the god of the bible inconsistent