• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Explain this logically christians....

Copernicus

Industrial Strength Linguist
Many, if not all, people of faith have doubted their faith or the existance of God at one point in their lives. Just because they don't share your lack of faith or experience as you do doesn't mean they don't understand why you think the way you do.
I wasn't claiming that, but do not mistake a crisis in faith with rejection of belief in God. Atheism is rejection of belief, not mere uncertainty. You were the one claiming that atheists could not understand religious faith. I disagreed.

We've just reached different conclusions based on our own study, observations, and life experiences. One thing is certain - the existance or lack thereof of an omnipotent God cannot be proven.
This is getting off topic, which is theodicy. I think that it should be possible to prove empirically that God does exist, but we cannot. As for an omnipotent being, I think that philosophers have come up with some pretty convincing arguments that such a being is not possible when you include other traits that worshipers attribute to it. Some versions of God can be proved not to exist, because they are logically inconsistent beings.

Actually, I haven't said anything about "the state of atheists' minds." And of course you have as much right to make judgments about my beliefs as I do about your beliefs. However, you are the one equating my beliefs with belief in rabbit's feet for good luck, and placebos in place of true medicine. I don't recall belittling any atheists or their personal beliefs.
No, I did not equate your beliefs with belief in rabbit's feet talismans. In fact, I explicitly said that I wasn't equating them, but that they were "in the same category". I do not equate religion with superstition, but I believe that the two are semantically related concepts. I am not trying to belittle your beliefs by criticizing them. Let's not forget that this is a religious debate forum. Religious belief very clearly can have a placebo effect, just as superstitious belief can. Not every "miracle" cure can be attributed to God. I see no reason to believe that any of them are.

I totally agree.
I thought you would. Chaos is random, whereas our reality is predictable but subject to the limits of our knowledge and understanding.

Yep, just as I love my dogs and "let" bad things happen to them...
Not true. You are neither omnipotent nor omniscient, so you cannot equate your behavior with God's. If you had the means to prevent needless suffering in your dogs, you would not let them suffer. I think that we both know that. What you cannot explain is why God would allow such uneven needless suffering in the world. All you can do is say that there is a reason--some plan that God has--and it will be revealed to us later on.

Well, no, you keep trying to make it seem that I've said that. What I've actually said is that I have been unable to give an answer that you accept. Two different things altogether.
You may think that you've been giving us an answer we couldn't accept, but I have not seen it. Here are some things you've said that seem to suggest you admit to not having that answer:

I never said I know God's plan. But I believe that God HAS a plan.

Of course we can tell right from wrong - but we have to work with the information we have at hand. God has more information than we do.

God's not a vending machine which pops out explanations when we insert a quarter. He reveals his purposes in His time. I've lived long enough to understand that and to accept that His purpose may not be clear to me when I demand it, but that it will become clear to me over time.
I took these statements to mean that you had no logical explanation for why God let the situation in the OP happen. You have definitely not given us an answer that we could accept or reject. You have said that all would be revealed in time. You may believe that some logical explanation is possible, but you do not have it to present to us.

Sheeze, do you MEAN to sound so condescending?...
No. Sorry if it came off that way.

But you really don't get what I'm saying. I don't "have to find a way not to need an explanation." I'm not agonizing over this and doing mental cartwheels. It's simply not that hard a concept for me to grasp - now. It was at one time, but my life and events in my life have proven it to me over the years.
What you said to prompt my remark was that you expressed anger at God and questioned him all the time. You have made peace with the fact that you do not understand his plan. To me, it seemed that you did need to find some way not to be angry with God over suffering that you cannot explain. An atheist does not feel a similar need, because there is nobody to get angry with. What happens happens.

It's much more than a method of coping. It's a method of living - joyfully and peacefully. By the way, I am a very healthy person both physically, mentally, and emotionally so apparently it's not too bad a mindset to embrace.
A positive attitude is never a bad mindset to embrace, but you do not have to be religious or believe in a god to embrace it.

Copernicus

Industrial Strength Linguist
(part 2)
So - in your wisdom, you've managed to relegate the faith and life experiences of millions of people (many who are certainly wiser than you, wouldn't you agree?) to the level of placebos and good luck charms.
In my experience (not "wisdom"), I've learned that the placebo effect has been proven experimentally. It is a more likely explanation of "miracle cures" associated with religion (e.g. sudden cancer remissions) than supernatural explanations. That is not a pretense of superiority. I understand that the vast majority of human beings believe in the supernatural, and I recognize that many who do--as well as many who don't--are smarter and wiser than either of us.

Look, it's one thing for you to decide this for your own application to your own life. It's altogether another thing for you to sweep aside as nothing more than superstition the faith of countless theists and deists the world over from the inception of time. Quite a leap there.
Not really. I have the advantage of hindsight over those who came before me, and we all have disagreements with humanity at large. You seem to be shifting the focus from the issues to me. You know that I am an atheist, that we disagree about the existence of your God, and that this is a religious debate forum. I mean you no offense by disagreeing with you.

And a bit arrogant, I believe.
I hope not, but is my attitude really the issue here? Let's pull back from the ad hominems. I've been called a lot of things by people in religious debates, so I've developed a pretty thick skin (and maybe even a thick skull). If I am arrogant, then that is my problem. Even arrogant people can be right.

You may be right, but I doubt it. At the same time, I'm not looking down on your lack of belief from any sort of haughty or superior position. That's your thang - it's between you and God - or no God. I'm just telling you what works in my life and how I have found joy and peace and reconciled life's trials and events with my beliefs.
My character flaws notwithstanding, why do you keep coming back to this? I have acknowledged repeatedly that your religion works for you, yet you keep repeating it as if I did not believe it. I really do. The issue under discussion is theodicy, not whether your religious belief is a good or a bad thing.

Life is an ongoing learning experience. I don't have to wait to die to begin understanding.
Fair enough. When you feel that you do have a logical reason for God letting some of us (but not all equally) suffer more or less horrible things, please try to explain it to us. Nobody here is rejecting an explanation you have offered. Somehow the discussion keeps shifting to other topics--for example, whether your religious belief has helped you personally cope with tragedy. (And, for the record, lest you've forgotten already, I do believe that religion can have that effect for people who believe. It is of no help to people who lack belief, nor does it explain why we are permitted to suffer needlessly.)

I can and do gain ongoing understanding of God's plan in my life. God's cosmic plan for the entire universe? No, I don't understand all of that - yet.
OK. Do you think you have an understanding of God's plan for the husband and father described in the OP? Can you describe what you think it is? Not everyone recovers from tragedy the way you have. What about them?

You've got faith in Dawkins. I've got faith in an omnipotent god. Not sure if you've read the bible, but if you have apparently you were unimpressed. Likewise, I'm unimpressed with Dawkins.
I do not believe in evolution because of "faith in Dawkins". I believed in it before I ever read anything by him, and you probably did to. I do not expect you to like his attacks on religion, but that was not what I was asking you to read. His last chapter in The Greatest Show on Earth did a better job than I've ever read before of explaining the nature of suffering in all species, not just people. He is a virtuoso when it comes to explaining biology.

There is no mysterious "plan" that involves an all-powerful, all-knowing being who lets bad things happen to beings that it loves.
And you know this how? Because Dawkins said so? Because you're convinced that your intelligence and perspective is superior?
You had mentioned "genocide, cancer, disfigurements, unspeakable human cruelty" and asked me how they made sense. All of that is part of the indifference of nature to suffering in living beings, and why it ought to be expected. I recommended Dawkins because he was quite eloquent about the nature of cruelty and what role it plays in nature. It really wasn't one of his religion-bashing topics. What he said about it could make sense to people of faith.

BTW, you totally misunderstood what I meant when I said I hadn't accused you of "not caring". Of course, I know that you care about suffering, but you have found a way to deal with your anger and frustration at God for the things that you do not understand. I cannot imagine how I could do that if I did believe in a being such as the Christian God. It is the kind of thing that drives some people away from religion. Those that remain must develop a way to cope with the "God's Problem", as Bart Ehrmann has put it.

Oh, come on. You think I havent known plenty of angry, bitter atheists in my life? And most of them have shaken their fist at heaven more than once. Please get off your high horse and LISTEN to what I am saying.
Please understand that people who shake their fists at heaven are not really atheists. And I never claimed that there were no bitter atheists. There are no atheists who are bitter at God.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.

Atheism is rejection of belief, not mere uncertainty.

Most atheists start off as deists or theists, and experience a crisis in faith. Surely you can admit that many atheists reject theism/deism from a base of anger, frustration, and/or confusion. Just as not all theists can explain the tenets of their faith, not all atheists are atheists based on pure logic and reasoning.

I think that it should be possible to prove empirically that God does exist, but we cannot.

True dat. Food for thought.

No, I did not equate your beliefs with belief in rabbit's feet talismans. In fact, I explicitly said that I wasn't equating them, but that they were "in the same category".

Well, actually, it seems you gave a disclaimer and then proceeded to do just that. Did you ever attend law school? ;)

I do not equate religion with superstition, but I believe that the two are semantically related concepts.

Equate, relate - see what I mean? Just be honest and come out and say that you believe religion is superstition. Your position is obvious, in spite of your disclaimers.

I am not trying to belittle your beliefs by criticizing them. Let's not forget that this is a religious debate forum.

Haven't forgotten that for a minute. I'm just trying to help you be honest here. You DID compare religious beliefs to lucky charms in spite of your disclaimer.

Religious belief very clearly can have a placebo effect, just as superstitious belief can. Not every "miracle" cure can be attributed to God. I see no reason to believe that any of them are.

A bit off topic. I certainly agree though that not every "miracle cure" can be attributed to God - of course.

See - I'm not an illogical person. ;)

Not true. You are neither omnipotent nor omniscient, so you cannot equate your behavior with God's.

My example works at least as well as your example of the rabbit's foot.

I took these statements to mean that you had no logical explanation for why God let the situation in the OP happen. You have definitely not given us an answer that we could accept or reject. You have said that all would be revealed in time. You may believe that some logical explanation is possible, but you do not have it to present to us.

That's because you have consistenly overlooked the oft-stated SECOND part of those statements, so let me repeat it:

Often "revealed in time" means FIFTEEN MINUTES LATER - or fifteen days, or fifteen years. The revelation of God's plan doesn't necessarily have to happen "after death." My point is this: That my faith doesn't rest solely on some nebulous idea that one day after I die, I'll understand everything. I'm not THAT trusting a person! My life experiences have proven to me so far that in spite of tragedies and sorrows, and events that I wouldn't have chosen for my life, God has proven to me that all things work together for good. So - that's my microversion of a larger truth. He's proven it to me over and over again on a small scale, and that's what my faith rests on, on a larger scale.

Of course, that's just me. But I do have some authority to say so, considering some of the true tragedies and difficulties in my life - so far. Wouldn't you say that a person who has experienced something repeatedly has a bit more credibility than someone who just believes something because their mama told them they'd go to hell if they didn't?

What you said to prompt my remark was that you expressed anger at God and questioned him all the time.

Well, actually, I didn't say this. I don't and never have "questioned God all the time." I do on occasion question God. And at one point in my life - well, actually two points - I was angry at God. In fact, I rejected God.

In other words, I've experienced much of the angst that so often leads people to atheism.

You have made peace with the fact that you do not understand his plan.

I don't understand ALL of His plan. I do understand some of it - and my understanding increases over time.

To me, it seemed that you did need to find some way not to be angry with God over suffering that you cannot explain.

That's your take on it, not mine, but I guess you're entitled to form your own opinion about my mindset. But to clarify, when I was angry and questioning God, I wasn't looking for a mental gyration which would allow me to quit being angry with God. I was looking for truth - whether it meant letting go of my faith or not.

A positive attitude is never a bad mindset to embrace, but you do not have to be religious or believe in a god to embrace it.

True enough statement, but that wasn't my point. My point was that my faith has not made me delusional, out of touch with reality, or otherwise mentally or emotionally unhealthy. My FAITH (not simply my positive attitude) has contributed greatly to my emotional and mental health, which is quite sturdy and firm, in spite of the many, MANY difficulties in my life - many of which, standing alone (and certainly cumulatively) would scar and damage many people for life.

Kathryn

(part 2)

Please understand that people who shake their fists at heaven are not really atheists. And I never claimed that there were no bitter atheists. There are no atheists who are bitter at God.

You seem to be shifting the focus from the issues to me. You know that I am an atheist, that we disagree about the existence of your God, and that this is a religious debate forum. I mean you no offense by disagreeing with you.

Nope, just disagreeing with you - no shifting of focus going on.

I hope not, but is my attitude really the issue here? Let's pull back from the ad hominems. I've been called a lot of things by people in religious debates, so I've developed a pretty thick skin (and maybe even a thick skull). If I am arrogant, then that is my problem. Even arrogant people can be right.

Yet another experience that we have in common!

I have acknowledged repeatedly that your religion works for you, yet you keep repeating it as if I did not believe it. I really do. The issue under discussion is theodicy, not whether your religious belief is a good or a bad thing.

Reading my comments in context, I would hope that you can see that whenever I relate something to a personal experience, it is to clarify a point, or illustrate how something applies in my life - it has nothing to do with me thinking you don't believe me.

Somehow the discussion keeps shifting to other topics--for example, whether your religious belief has helped you personally cope with tragedy.

'Tis the nature of the forum - threads wander a bit sometimes, and I've been responding to so many people on this thread, and so many different perspectives and challenges, that it's a bit hard to keep purely "on topic." That being said, it's not entirely off topic considering the subject matter, to throw in the fact that religious beliefs help many people, myself included, through tragedies.

(And, for the record, lest you've forgotten already, I do believe that religion can have that effect for people who believe. It is of no help to people who lack belief, nor does it explain why we are permitted to suffer needlessly.)

Haven't forgotten. Kinda hard to completely stay on topic though, isn't it?

OK. Do you think you have an understanding of God's plan for the husband and father described in the OP? Can you describe what you think it is? Not everyone recovers from tragedy the way you have. What about them?

Now - how would I know what God's plan for the husband/father in the OP is? I don't know the man at all. I would never claim to know what God's personal plan is for another individual. When I comfort someone who is going through a crisis, I would NEVER tell them "This is God's plan for your life - just accept it." What I DO do, however, at the appropriate time (not at the funeral or in the emergency room when they've just been told their loved one is gone), is share my own experience. This sparks conversation, interaction, and they will usually open up. I don't ever preach to them - I simply share my own perspective and my own strength with them. I let them connect the dots - and either accept, reject, or continue to question.

As for those who don't recover as well - I can't and don't judge them. I don't know every wrinkle of their psyche, or every wound they've experienced which may impact their state of mind and emotion today. All I can do is be there for them, and pray that their suffering is lessened, and be open to being a tool to help them suffer less.

I do not believe in evolution because of "faith in Dawkins". I believed in it before I ever read anything by him, and you probably did to. I do not expect you to like his attacks on religion, but that was not what I was asking you to read. His last chapter in The Greatest Show on Earth did a better job than I've ever read before of explaining the nature of suffering in all species, not just people. He is a virtuoso when it comes to explaining biology.

This may be true, but his absolutely blatant disrespect and his combative, sarcastic style underscores his writings so heavily that I have very little use for him.

Kind of like, say, Michelle Malkin or Ann Coulter. Some of what they say may have some validity, but their style and biases are so off-setting that I simply don't CARE if they speak some truth - I'm not going to put myself through listening to them to get to a few juicy tidbits.

You had mentioned "genocide, cancer, disfigurements, unspeakable human cruelty" and asked me how they made sense. All of that is part of the indifference of nature to suffering in living beings, and why it ought to be expected. I recommended Dawkins because he was quite eloquent about the nature of cruelty and what role it plays in nature. It really wasn't one of his religion-bashing topics. What he said about it could make sense to people of faith.

I accept that nature is "red of tooth and claw." If I am ever in the mood to stick splinters under my fingernails, maybe I'll pick up Dawkins and read him instead. But if that's his point, I can probably avoid putting myself through that.

Please bear with me, Copernicus - I'm being a little facetious, not combative. I hope I don't come across as brushing your recommendations aside. Dawkins truly does make my skin crawl though.

BTW, you totally misunderstood what I meant when I said I hadn't accused you of "not caring". Of course, I know that you care about suffering, but you have found a way to deal with your anger and frustration at God for the things that you do not understand. I cannot imagine how I could do that if I did believe in a being such as the Christian God. It is the kind of thing that drives some people away from religion. Those that remain must develop a way to cope with the "God's Problem", as Bart Ehrmann has put it.

What you call dealing with "the God Problem," is, I think, what others call faith. You don't have it, you don't believe it, you don't accept it as an option. I can understand that mindset - I truly can. I don't think of it as foolish, or inferior. In some ways, it would feel liberating. I can see that side of your POV.

I've considered it, but I don't accept it. I do have faith. I simply do. I consider it a blessing, actually. It's not that it's never been shaken, but it's stronger than ever at this point in my life - BECAUSE of some of my hardships, not in spite of them.

I know that I cannot convince you, or others, of the validity of faith. That's the very crux of the debate surrounding theodicy.

From The Catholic Encylopedia:

"Theodicy, therefore, may be defined as the science which treats of God through the exercise of reason alone. It is a science because it systematically arranges the content of our knowledge about God and demonstrates, in the strict sense of the word, each of its propositions. But it appeals to nature as its only source of proof, whereas theology sets forth our knowledge of God as drawn from the sources of supernatural revelation."

This is the impasse at which we find ourselves, and why this debate cannot be resolved, though each side firmly believes their own evidence.

So - no, in the context of theodicy, I will never be able to give an explanation which satisfies, and those who prescribe to theodicy know that.

All I can do, from my state of emotional strength and health, is relate my experiences and what has worked for me. My "proof" is in my testimony. Others will either accept or reject it, but what matters is that I've shared it. After that, it's their own decision - my work is done.

Peace.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
This idea of a spectrum is just your idea. For one thing, a family dying in an accident is not a THING - it's an event.
Events are things. :shrug:

Events are all entertwined - such as, if I hadn't dropped that jar of mayonnaise on my kitchen floor, I would have left the house twenty minutes earlier, right? Maybe or maybe not. If I had, would I have been on the road at exactly the same moment an 18 wheeler veered over into my lane? But if I had left earlier, would I have missed meeting my future husband in the produce aisle at the grocery store?

See, you can't play all this "what if" stuff, because it's nothing more than a mind game. There is no "what might have been." There is only "what is." If you play the What If game - the family lives. But maybe they live only to be kidnapped by pirates off the coast of Equitorial Guinea and they are beheaded and the video is all over the internet. Maybe the girl grows up to be a psycho and kills her five children by drowning them in the bathtub. Who knows?
So human judgement is useless?

My experience has indicated otherwise.

So we only have WHAT IS. And Christians believe this:

Romans 8:28
28 And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who[a] have been called according to his purpose.

All things which happen aren't pleasant, or peaceful, or fun. But all things which happen are part of a larger plan. That's what Christians believe. And we believe that when things happen, it is our responsibility to be receptive to God's will, and to find our role in that plan and accept it and act in a way which glorifies God by helping others when possible.
But here's the thing: if all events are part of God, plan, then there are two possibilities:

- God needed the death of this family to happen to actualize the goals of his plan. He was unable to make his positive desired outcome occur without this negative event. IOW, God is not omnipotent.

- God is fully omnipotent, and therefore could have made any desired outcome occur without any particular event. Therefore, he didn't need the death of this family to happen to actualize the goals of his plan. IOW, this event was unnecessary.

It DOES address the issue - you're just not accepting the answer. And that's OK - that's your choice. My choice differs.
No, it really is a non-responsive answer.

The question is "how can a good God allow evil?" The response given is "I'm God, you're not - who are you to question me?" It sheds no light at all on the real answer to the question.

It's not that God has a different standard of morality - the problem is that we try to place our own limited perspective and understanding on these issues. Like my earlier example of me dragging my dog to the vet so that the vet can cut her open and take organs out of her and stick her with sharp instruments. I am sure my dog wonders how and why I do this to her when I profess to love her so much. She cannot understand the whole picture.
No, she can't. But if she decided to trust that you knew what was going on better than she did and that you have their best interests at heart, the dog might decide to go along with it - maybe by not snarling and being difficult when you try to get her in the car.

Even though the dog can't understand for herself how what you're doing is good, she has the ability to trust in your judgement.

And that's what I'm talking about. Just as your dog might be able to think "okay - spaying seems wrong to me, but I'm going to trust my master and follow her lead", we can say "okay - drunk drivers killing families seems wrong to me, but I'm going to trust my God and follow his lead."

Of course we can tell right from wrong - but we have to work with the information we have at hand. God has more information than we do.
And God, with his full information and perfect wisdom, consistently fails to intervene to help people. Can't we take from this that the normal human approach of trying to help people and giving a damn for humanity is incorrect?

Are you serious? Do you honestly think that I have never experienced great, heartbreaking, crushing loss?

Sorry, but you don't know me well enough to judge me like this.

Furthermore, as Corrie ten Boom and Joni Earekson Tada so beautifully prove through their lives, all the things you mention simply are not necessary in order to be at peace and yes, even joyful.

Power to Change - joni eareckson becomes a quadriplegic after a reckless dive

Corrie ten Boom - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Check out these guys - wow, they seem pretty driven to lead fulfilling and productive lives. And I bet their attitudes are pretty good too.

6a00e551d9d3fd88330147e2959b9e970b-320wi

Frankly, your post is a bit insulting. You seem to think that those who have experienced great loss in their lives are incapable of leading a full and joyful life - or are somehow held to lower expectations or have less potential.

Right on! Look at how overcoming the adversity of their amputations has let those men acheive things that they never could have before! Suffering enables greatness!

And in the same vein, damn those horrible surgeons who, every day, improve their techniques so that more and more people can have their limbs repaired and healed instead of having them amputated and replaced with a prosthetic. Those callous doctors are just dream-killers.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
Kathryn,

Correct me if i am wrong about this, but your testimony is about a hard time of your life and how you managed to get through it. And so your conclusion is that your life improved after going through so much. Correct?

Many people live their entire lives with faith that their situation will improve, and many of those die before such happens. What to say about those people?

Commoner

Headache
Kathryn,

Correct me if i am wrong about this, but your testimony is about a hard time of your life and how you managed to get through it. And so your conclusion is that your life improved after going through so much. Correct?

Many people live their entire lives with faith that their situation will improve, and many of those die before such happens. What to say about those people?

Not enough faith... :shrug:

ninerbuff

godless wonder
So you wanted more than just physical necessities and comfort. You wanted an explanation for something you did not understand.

There are many mysteries to life. Science has solved only a minutely small percentage of them. Yet we believe they can explain life. We make leaps in logic about that which is unknown and call it "knowledge."

Religion and spirituality attempt to explain these mysteries. It is up to each individual to discover for himself whether the explanations fill the mental void.

Jesus Christ, the Buddha, Mohammed and the other spiritual masters described how one can gain insight into the workings of his own nature. That insight enables one to see the inner workings of his own mind and in doing so understand his fellow man.

No, I wanted a logical explanation of how a god that knows an tragic event will happen, and has the power to stop or change it, doesn't do it, then EXPECTS the grieving to turn to him for comfort when really the outcome could have been different.
I'm not searching for an answer to life and death. I feel confident that we live to pass on our genes, and then die and that's it. No gray area for me.

Kathryn

No, I wanted a logical explanation of how a god that knows an tragic event will happen, and has the power to stop or change it, doesn't do it, then EXPECTS the grieving to turn to him for comfort when really the outcome could have been different.
I'm not searching for an answer to life and death. I feel confident that we live to pass on our genes, and then die and that's it. No gray area for me.

So the tragedy then is not death, right? Is it untimely death, the way a person dies, what?

Kathryn

Kathryn,

Keep the faith.

And my testimony is not about how I had a hard time in my life and now my life is so much better - though that in part is true. My testimony is really that my faith was made whole BEFORE I knew my life would get any better. I reached a point of submission where I quit making demands on God and put my entire life and the lives of my children in His hands, to do with as He willed. THAT was the lesson - not that "then my life got all better."

Some things in my life didn't get any better. My baby is still dead, for instance. My ex husband continued to be abusive and cruel, so much so that eventually I was forced to divorce him to protect my children. Those aren't the outcomes I would have chosen at all.

But I trust God's judgment and mercy.

Kathryn

Well, alright then. But what if someone simply doesn't want to die - ever? Is death then a tragedy?

ninerbuff

godless wonder
So the tragedy then is not death, right? Is it untimely death, the way a person dies, what?
No. I accept people die tragically. That's life. I accept people will die of old age.
My whole point is that it's ILLOGICAL to believe in a god that is so narcisstic that he allows innocents to die and expects the berived survivors to love him even more when he could have done something about it. It's like god is suffering from Muchausen by proxy syndrome.

ninerbuff

godless wonder
Why can't god be more effective in maybe "hinting" to cold case murders who the felons are? Or causing the death of murdering people to save us some time and money so we can concentrate on more useful things like education? Of course to ask this is too much for a god to handle, that it's up to us to find the murderers................or that it doesn't work because a god doesn't really exist.;)

Kathryn

I believe that God allows us to discover things for ourselves - it helps us grow and accomplish things, individually and collectively.

For every story of tragedy, there's a story of perserverence and the rewards of such. For every heartbreaking story, there's one of personal triumph.

Christians believe that for now, we live in a fallen world, but that one day that world will be redeemed.

Now -what happens after that may just surprise all of us. Which is why I don't sit around and try to judge who stands how before God - that's not my business. I am not responsible for them, nor do I have the right to judge them. I have my hands full enough with just living my own life of faith in a fallen world.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Well, alright then. But what if someone simply doesn't want to die - ever? Is death then a tragedy?

It seems like your general argument is that this may very well be the best of all possible worlds. Just so we're clear, is that your position?

Kathryn

Penguin - not trying to evade here. I honestly don't understand your question.

And I know the original question wasn't asked to you - but I hate it when people "answer" a question with another question.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
Keep the faith.

And my testimony is not about how I had a hard time in my life and now my life is so much better - though that in part is true. My testimony is really that my faith was made whole BEFORE I knew my life would get any better. I reached a point of submission where I quit making demands on God and put my entire life and the lives of my children in His hands, to do with as He willed. THAT was the lesson - not that "then my life got all better."

Some things in my life didn't get any better. My baby is still dead, for instance. My ex husband continued to be abusive and cruel, so much so that eventually I was forced to divorce him to protect my children. Those aren't the outcomes I would have chosen at all.

But I trust God's judgment and mercy.

What has the faith changed in your life BEFORE things got better?
What is the value of faith if it doesn't improve your reality?

Kathryn

What has the faith changed in your life BEFORE things got better?

My heart. My mind. My attitude.

What is the value of faith if it doesn't improve your reality?

It gives peace of mind in the midst of turmoil. It can bring deep profound gratitude, and even joy, in the midst of grief.

Haven't you ever heard anyone say, "My situation didn't change, but my attitude did?"

Let me ask you a question. If you lived in a tin storage building, with no running water, in Texas in the heat of summer, and you had no money and no job and you were pregnant - would you be joyful? Would you feel at peace? Would you be able to be happy? Most people would say no to all of the above. But to some people, that would be living in the lap of luxury, right?

Faith puts things in perspective.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
My heart. My mind. My attitude.

All subjective....

It gives peace of mind in the midst of turmoil. It can bring deep profound gratitude, and even joy, in the midst of grief.

Haven't you ever heard anyone say, "My situation didn't change, but my attitude did?"

Let me ask you a question. If you lived in a tin storage building, with no running water, in Texas in the heat of summer, and you had no money and no job and you were pregnant - would you be joyful? Would you feel at peace? Would you be able to be happy? Most people would say no to all of the above. But to some people, that would be living in the lap of luxury, right?

Faith puts things in perspective.

So you are saying that what faith does , in fact, is to change the perspective. So i ask, do you see faith as a requirement for such a change?
Couldn't it be possible for such to happen without the addition of faith?