• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Explain this logically christians....

Copernicus

Industrial Strength Linguist
Yes all these ' christians ' are doing ' their own thing ' on GOD's sanctified and holy day. The bible is not just talking about a day of rest but attending a commanded assembly before the Lord Lev.23. These instructions were given well after the original requirement to rest. Perhaps all these devout christians don't read the Bible.
If you are going to cite Leviticus, I'm wondering what your views are on eating shellfish and wearing clothing of mixed fibers. Do you follow all of the advice given in Leviticus? Some of it sounds pretty nasty. I mean...after all...making masturbation a capital crime? Do you take that kind of thing seriously?

Beta

Or perhaps they read the whole thing. Doesn't your Bible have Romans 14 and Colossians 2?
Paul says this and Paul says that - is Paul our Saviour ?(and misunderstood at that).
So we can all point to some 'difficult to understand ' scriptures and turn them to our advantage ?
God has no problem describing HIS HOLY DAY as the 7th' and naming it as Sabbath.
Why does he not describe His new holy day as the 1st and naming it sunday ?
Why does NT scripture not call Jesus the Lord of sunday.
Why was not sunday made for man in the NT ?
Then there would be no doubt . Instead scripture is clear on the Sabbath 7th day throughout the Old and New Testament.
Point made !

strikeviperMKII

A close friend informed me today that his cousin lost his wife and 2 kids to a drunk driver a few days ago.
Now the cousin is being asked to "lean on god" and "faith" to make it through it.
So explain that if it was god's "plan" to take his family away, then why lean on god for support? How does that logically make sense?

It doesn't. But it's not supposed to. The point of leaning on God is to place yourself outside the position of power. It doesn't really matter what God planned before that. Everything after is what God has planned by default. You can choose to blame God or be angry at God because he did something wrong, but is that going to get you anywhere?

Copernicus

It doesn't. But it's not supposed to. The point of leaning on God is to place yourself outside the position of power. It doesn't really matter what God planned before that. Everything after is what God has planned by default. You can choose to blame God or be angry at God because he did something wrong, but is that going to get you anywhere?
It is hard to worship a blameworthy being. God is not supposed to be blameworthy. So this problem poses a challenge for the faithful. For the faithless, there is nobody to blame. Bad luck is something we can wish to avoid, but it happens to all of us in a universe that is indifferent to our survival. People who worship God have to reconcile themselves to the fact that God will behave as if he did not exist.

Koldo

Outstanding Member

Maybe if you could find a way to destroy God....but...nah :sarcastic

Beta

If you are going to cite Leviticus, I'm wondering what your views are on eating shellfish and wearing clothing of mixed fibers. Do you follow all of the advice given in Leviticus? Some of it sounds pretty nasty. I mean...after all...making masturbation a capital crime? Do you take that kind of thing seriously?
Are you just being curious ?
After all you don't care for God's view re the Sabbath and the Holy days why should the rest interest you ?
Isn't it normal to learn to walk before we run ??? :sarcastic

PolyHedral

Superabacus Mystic
After all you don't care for God's view re the Sabbath and the Holy days why should the rest interest you ?
It's normal to make sure we understand the whole process before taking a step.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Paul says this and Paul says that - is Paul our Saviour ?
Is Moses?

God has no problem describing HIS HOLY DAY as the 7th' and naming it as Sabbath.
Why does he not describe His new holy day as the 1st and naming it sunday ?
I agree with you on that point. I think the verses in the New Testament I refer to point toward there being no obligation to observe the Sabbath at all. I don't think there's anything in the Bible that suggests the Sabbath should be observed on Sunday.

Beta

Is Moses?

I agree with you on that point. I think the verses in the New Testament I refer to point toward there being no obligation to observe the Sabbath at all. I don't think there's anything in the Bible that suggests the Sabbath should be observed on Sunday.
The law of Moses was only till Christ - he was never in the running as Saviour.
But NT man has made Paul their saviour trampling on Jesus in the process.

strikeviperMKII

It is hard to worship a blameworthy being. God is not supposed to be blameworthy. So this problem poses a challenge for the faithful. For the faithless, there is nobody to blame. Bad luck is something we can wish to avoid, but it happens to all of us in a universe that is indifferent to our survival. People who worship God have to reconcile themselves to the fact that God will behave as if he did not exist.

People of faith have to reconcile themselves with the fact that God doesn't do what we want him to do...which just means that what we want to happen won't happen most of the time. Which is life, not God, anyway.

Copernicus

I am definitely curious as to how seriously you take Leviticus. If you use it as an authoritative source for anything, then it becomes reasonable to ask whether you take everything it says as seriously or as literally.

I am curious about your views. I am not asking you to tell me God's views, even though you clearly consider yourself something of a spokesperson for him.

Yes. I can do both just fine, thank you. Now, can you answer the question? How seriously and how literally do you take Leviticus?

Copernicus

People of faith have to reconcile themselves with the fact that God doesn't do what we want him to do...which just means that what we want to happen won't happen most of the time. Which is life, not God, anyway.
That is equally true for believers and non-believers, but non-believers have no reason to expect otherwise. The question is how people manage to cling to religious faith when their deity always behaves in a way that is consistent with its non-existence. In a way, that is the entire point of this thread. How does one reconcile God's seeming indifference to suffering?

AntEmpire

how is that inconsistant? that isnt illogical at all.

I can lean on someone even if I think they are responsible for my grief.

Imma kill yer whole family now, so yew can grow closer to meeeeeeeeee

Sounds like the devil, but actually that guys the nice one

ninerbuff

godless wonder
At least you agree it's not logical. As for the rest, I'm more than sure that "real" people are a better support system then just relying on an invisible entity.

Beta

Yes. I can do both just fine, thank you. Now, can you answer the question? How seriously and how literally do you take Leviticus?
Sure I could satisfy your curiosity but have no inclination of doing so :p. That's just idle talk serving no purpose.:)

waitasec

Veteran Member
Sure I could satisfy your curiosity but have no inclination of doing so :p. That's just idle talk serving no purpose.:)

i guess the ideal of double standards adhere to your principles then...
that's not idle talk silly, what you're displaying here is denial...

just sayin'

Beta

i guess the ideal of double standards adhere to your principles then...
that's not idle talk silly, what you're displaying here is denial...

just sayin'
You can see it any way you like.
Discussing personal opinions is idle talk in my book. :cool:

Koldo

Outstanding Member
You can see it any way you like.
Discussing personal opinions is idle talk in my book. :cool:

You joined at 2004 and still haven't figured out this is a religious forum where we talk about our personal opinions among other things?!