• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Explain this logically christians....

waitasec

Veteran Member
Wow, you and one or two others on this thread are trying SO HARD to "make me" say what I'm simply NOT saying.

You took my words out of context. Here is the REST of what I said:

Now - how you can say that I'm narcissistic or feeling self important based on that, is simply beyond me. I NEVER said that YOU must be "a child of God" and I certainly didn't "exult myself over you."

C'mon, man.

I think you WANT to think that Christians believe that. I think it fits into YOUR ideas and personal baggage about Christianity. And maybe some Christians DO think or believe that.

But I most certainly do not.

I didn't say anything about YOUR blessings being dependent on whether or not you have faith in God/Jesus. I said MY strength depends on my faith in God.

As I said already - you've got your own deal, your own soul, your own beliefs and life to work out. That's totally up to you. You don't need faith in God? OK.

I DO.

My faith, and the blessings in my life which I believe are a result of my faith, don't take anything away from you. They don't exalt me above you. They don't hurt you.

And based on my words, I can't see how you could possibly think that I think I'm superior to you. Frankly, this sounds like some sort of baggage you were carrying long before you and I had this conversation.

If you don't need faith, I'm certainly not saying you can't or won't be blessed without it.

I'm not talking about your faith or lack thereof. I'm talking about mine.

I am thrilled with the way God works in my life. I am excited about how He has guided me through some very rough times. I WILL share this with others, as the need or opportunity arises. I do so because I want to share this joy and these opportunities with others.

I don't offer unsolicited advice - I firmly believe that we generally have to earn the privilege of giving advice and having others actually listen to it. But if someone asks - I will answer. And if someone needs a leader, I will lead. I feel that I have the life experience under my belt to do so.

you did say, "you can be blessed too" didn't you?
i am not attacking you personally. you seem to think that i am. i am not. i am attacking this ideology christians adopt by saying they are blessed.
i don't believe anyone is blessed, nor do i believe god loves you more than i because the probability of any of that is very nill. so please don't think i'm jealous of your blessed life or anything. i'm glad for you, it's the dogma, not you.

when someone says they have been blessed, are they not implying they were granted divine favor? from my perspective it takes someone with an audacious sense to make such an unreasonable claim.
'god thinks i deserve this, therefore i am special...he has favored me.'
you don't see that as having narcissistic tendencies?
sure we all are to some degree, of course. but this is a little different because is it dealing with the supposed divine...which is why i say the believer exults him or herself simply because of being favored by the divine.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
God acts through people ...not by some form of magic.

Modern times have brought new perils, Drunken drivers is only one of them. These things are the result of Mans own choices and inventions, they are freely made.

All men have the capability to be strengthened by God in these situations. Atheists and others, perhaps, deny themselves this opportunity, it is their choice.
I see these two arguments as conflicted. To the extent that God "acts through" people, to that same extent God is responsible for the actions of people.

Not necessarily. God's knowledge and understanding is so vastly superior to ours that I simply don't believe we are in a position to decide whether God is "reasonably good" or not. We are expected to act in the best interest of our fellow men, and to do what we can to keep harm from coming to others, but we must do so with a limited knowledge.
But the point I was trying to get at is that there's a conflict in the mainstream theist position.

I'm not trying to argue that God is necessarily cruel or stupid. I'm saying that if we assume that he's not, then the implication is that failing to intervene to alleviate suffering is the right thing to do.

I can kinda understand the "there's unseen good in suffering" position; at least, I see how it's logically consistent. I don't understand the "there's unseen good in suffering, so I'll try to alleviate suffering myself" position.

God, on the other hand, sees things from a different perspective than we do. I believe there are many times when He does intervene, when a person's life is spared without that person ever even knowing that it happened. I don't know why God allows some people to live long, relatively trouble-free lives and permits others to live only a few short years, possibly in horrible conditions the entire time.
... but you think there's a purpose, right?

Why, then, when God has intervened where he has seen fit to do so and left the rest of the suffering in place as part of some all-knowing, morally good plan, would any human intervene themselves to relieve this suffering that God, in his infinite wisdom, has seen fit to keep?

I will admit that I do get very frustrated even trying to explain how I feel when I am talking to an atheist (and you're one of the few I will even make an effort to discuss the matter with).
And I do appreciate you talking about it.

Obviously, as I've already said, I believe that God is as good as a "reasonably good person." I also believe that He is millions of times more intelligent that the 100,000 most intelligent people who have ever lived, all rolled into one. Hypothetically speaking, if there is a God who created the billions of galaxies out there in the universe and all of the forms of life here on Earth, wouldn't it stand to reason that He knows what He's doing? He is not stupid and He is not incompetent. Atheists who argue that He is, nevertheless, cruel, are basing that assumption upon their own limited intelligence and understanding. If a person believes in God at all, he pretty much has to respect not only His power but His knowledge. If we can't explain His power, why should we be expected to explain His knowledge?
It's not a matter of explaining God's knowledge; it's a matter of explaining the theist position on this issue.

So God's on the case and he knows what he's doing; even though the world seems deficient to us in many ways, all the negative-seeming things all work toward some higher purpose that's beyond our knowledge... fine - but doesn't this kill any possible motivation for us humans to do good in the world? God's already done everything worth doing, and everything he's left undone is better undone than not... so what's left for us?

That's because you don't believe that there is a better life after this one. Maybe, when God lets a child die of starvation, it's to stop the suffering once and for all. If that child's spirit is suddenly released from a body that has known only suffering, but continues to exist outside of that body in a place of peace and rest, who are we to say that God was evil for not miraculously providing food for that child instead? When it gets right down to it, the phrase "saving a life" is really only relative. What is being "saved"? A mortal existance, not an eternal one.

Yes, it is. It's God saying, "I know what's best and it's best that this physical body die at this point. This person has learned what I knew he needed to learn when I sent him to Earth; he has had experiences and challenges that, while they have weakened his body, have strengthened his spirit. It is now time that he is received into an existance free of suffering."
Well, there's more to it than just life and death. There's suffering as well. And I don't think the fact that we can learn from suffering in some cases means that suffering is necessary for us to learn.

I know that this isn't going to make an ounce of sense to anyone who doesn't believe in God. It's just not. And since there probably isn't a single thing I can add to make it more clear, I probably won't even try unless I can see that it might make a difference to somebody. I'm just not going to continue to debate for the sake of debating. It's pointless.
I can appreciate the arguments put forward by religious people. I just can't square them up with the reality that I see of many, many religious people diligently working toward helping to save lives and alleviate suffering, whether it's caused by manmade causes or "acts of God"... people who then turn around and praise God for his inaction. I think they speak against that argument with their actions.

... although at the end of the day, I suppose I'm okay with this. I realized a while ago that I'd much rather that people be kind than that be absolutely consistent with their beliefs.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
We only mourn because life is cut short. Would you mourn for someone for died happy, satisfied they had done everything they could ever wish for? And keep in mind how large "everything" is in this context: for the majority of people, "everything they could ever wish for" takes hundreds of lifetimes to achieve, at minimum.
How could a person possibly need hundreds of lifetimes to achieve everything they could ever wish for?

I don't see how it's possible to wish for that much stuff.

PolyHedral

Superabacus Mystic
How could a person possibly need hundreds of lifetimes to achieve everything they could ever wish for?

I don't see how it's possible to wish for that much stuff.
Because you'lll probably realize you want more in the time it takes you to acheive whatever you wanted originally.

blackout

Violet.
you did say, "you can be blessed too" didn't you?
i am not attacking you personally. you seem to think that i am. i am not. i am attacking this ideology christians adopt by saying they are blessed.
i don't believe anyone is blessed, nor do i believe god loves you more than i because the probability of any of that is very nill. so please don't think i'm jealous of your blessed life or anything. i'm glad for you, it's the dogma, not you.

when someone says they have been blessed, are they not implying they were granted divine favor? from my perspective it takes someone with an audacious sense to make such an unreasonable claim.
'god thinks i deserve this, therefore i am special...he has favored me.'
you don't see that as having narcissistic tendencies?
sure we all are to some degree, of course. but this is a little different because is it dealing with the supposed divine...which is why i say the believer exults him or herself simply because of being favored by the divine.

"Blessed" can be another way of saying
"I am deeply appreciative of what I have/who I am/what has happened for me (in my life)/whatever"
It does not necessarily imply deity.
In my own case,
I see that we are capable of initiating our own "good fortune".
Some of that is attitude.
Our attitudes effect our relationship with "the world",
which effects
what happens to us/for us/around us/in relation to us.

Music, Ritual Magick/Purposeful Symbology,
an Esoteric View of Life, and Dynamic Love
are all integral to my own daily "attitudes"...
to the "face" I put on,
to my Drive,
Dynamism,
Lustre,
and Personal Intent.

For Kathryn it's her Christianity,
and the Love in her life
(as evidenced by how much she loves her husband and children)
also
where she lives.
These things make her happy.
They are "blessing" to her.

Deity or No Deity.

james2ko

I just say that as a simple fact that God does not intervene every time there is an accident, because we do have accidents. But I am saying something deeper. Sin brought about death, spiritual death, physical death and a final 2nd death. Just as the Law (10 commandments) actually shows sin for just what it is, as Paul wrote:

7What shall we say then? Is the law sin? God forbid. Nay, I had not known sin, but by the law: for I had not known lust, except the law had said, Thou shalt not covet.
8But sin, taking occasion by the commandment, wrought in me all manner of concupiscence. For without the law sin was dead.
9For I was alive without the law once: but when the commandment came, sin revived, and I died.
10And the commandment, which was ordained to life, I found to be unto death.
11For sin, taking occasion by the commandment, deceived me, and by it slew me.
12Wherefore the law is holy, and the commandment holy, and just, and good.
13Was then that which is good made death unto me? God forbid. But sin, that it might appear sin, working death in me by that which is good; that sin by the commandment might become exceeding sinful.

So we see as well the results of sin in this life when we see tragedies such as this drunk driver caused. As we see the results of sin in the law and in the world so we know how exceedingly bad sin is, and how real. Just as God allows free will so he allows it to play out to its sometimes tragic end, so we see that it is wrong and recognize we are sinners.

You say it would be better without accidents and I agree, and one day there will be no more accidents or death. But we must first deal with sin and to do that we must see it first hand and acknowledge it in the world and in us so that God can deliver us from its power. That's my belief.

I believe you hit the nail on the head, Javajo. The reason for this accident was the effect of a cause (drunk driver) which involved the breaking of one of God's laws which He warned us not to do. Some say God should have stopped it by any means necessary because it involved the death of an innocent woman and her children. (and yes, God promises he will see them again, not in heaven, but as living breathing humans once again. That's a topic for another thread.)

Let's look at this situation from a different perspective. God gave us His laws to ensure the safety and well being of all mankind. Mankind collectively benefits if they are obeyed and conversely suffers if they are not. Has anyone stopped to think what kind of world this would be if God intervened to prevent all wrongful actions? It would be a kind of zombie-like populace, shuffling about in mindless obedience to myriad laws that would govern all human behavior.

But if God were to impose such restraints on humans, what then? Very likely, He would be faced with a continual battle - a constant stream of hatred, invective, curses and screams of anger, He would be faced with a decision to beat humankind into submission - with the end product a mindless, dutifully obedient organism without thought, without reason, without intellect, and totally devoid of character.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Because you'lll probably realize you want more in the time it takes you to acheive whatever you wanted originally.
I'm not interested in having hundreds of lifetimes at all. Maybe I'm not creative enough, but I don't have enough wishes to necessitate hundreds of lifetimes.

PolyHedral

Superabacus Mystic
Has anyone stopped to think what kind of world this would be if God intervened to prevent all wrongful actions?
Let me adjust the question slightly: Have you stopped to think what kind of world this would if God intervened to prevent all harmful consequences?

On the face of it, this looks like the same question, but it's not. This is God we're talking about, who can change the very laws of the universe. God may allow the driver to drink, but surely He could also make it so that the driver simply fails to collide with the innocent mother? Why doesn't He do this, or something just like it?

waitasec

Veteran Member
"Blessed" can be another way of saying
"I am deeply appreciative of what I have/who I am/what has happened for me (in my life)/whatever"
It does not necessarily imply deity.
In my own case,
I see that we are capable of initiating our own "good fortune".
Some of that is attitude.
Our attitudes effect our relationship with "the world",
which effects
what happens to us/for us/around us/in relation to us.

Music, Ritual Magick/Purposeful Symbology,
an Esoteric View of Life, and Dynamic Love
are all integral to my own daily "attitudes"...
to the "face" I put on,
to my Drive,
Dynamism,
Lustre,
and Personal Intent.

For Kathryn it's her Christianity,
and the Love in her life
(as evidenced by how much she loves her husband and children)
also
where she lives.
These things make her happy.
They are "blessing" to her.

Deity or No Deity.

this ideal, i feel, needs to be addressed. if a christian say's i'm blessed they are speaking of being favored.
i feel it needs to be addressed because it perpetuated how faith undermines inner strength. instead faith takes the focus off of human capacity and puts it on this ideal of being divinely favored.
i saw a religious piece about a man who was born without arms or legs...
he asked god why, and god eventually answered, after several suicide attempts, "trust me". so now he's has this thriving ministry.
to me, when you are born into that circumstance, i wouldn't blame god for it, i blame chaos and randomness. there is no why. it just is. now you are either going to be a person that falls victim to it and blame god, or a person who actually sees that life is more than having arms and legs and you take it as it comes or you are going to attribute your legless and armless body as a blessing from god and use this "handicap" as a tool to bring faith to the faithless. i can't help but to see how this individual has undermined his sheer inner strength and dignity. he could never follow through with suicide because he knew how that would destroy his family and he knew that would mean giving up. this from a legless and armless boy who was so determined to skateboard as a child, and did. it was his resolve to conquer the challenges we think are nearly impossible to, being blessed is a wrong way of looking at it, we should see it as it is; valiant determination and inner strength and courage.

Last edited:

james2ko

Let me adjust the question slightly: Have you stopped to think what kind of world this would if God intervened to prevent all harmful consequences?

One full of automatons..

On the face of it, this looks like the same question, but it's not. This is God we're talking about, who can change the very laws of the universe. God may allow the driver to drink, but surely He could also make it so that the driver simply fails to collide with the innocent mother? Why doesn't He do this, or something just like it?

You are essentially asking for God to remove the effects of human action--free moral agency--of free choice. You are asking God to allow man to continue breaking natural and spiritual laws--continue living the way that causes human misery. In short, you are asking God to abolish the effects of the penalty for sin which has been imputed on all of mankind--innocent and guilty alike, while leaving the sin itself.

Debunker

A close friend informed me today that his cousin lost his wife and 2 kids to a drunk driver a few days ago.
Now the cousin is being asked to "lean on god" and "faith" to make it through it.
So explain that if it was god's "plan" to take his family away, then why lean on god for support? How does that logically make sense?
It has probably already been said but I will say it again just in case it has been overlooked.
This a dumb question and does not deserve an answer. First, Christians do not equate God;s plan with death. Death is Satan's plan Christ came to give life. Blame the Devi for death.Christ will restore life in the final end of things.You probably knew this so you owe us a better question that is not a logical trap.For example, what can you do to escape the death trap?l

Copernicus

Industrial Strength Linguist
I believe you hit the nail on the head, Javajo. The reason for this accident was the effect of a cause (drunk driver) which involved the breaking of one of God's laws which He warned us not to do. Some say God should have stopped it by any means necessary because it involved the death of an innocent woman and her children. (and yes, God promises he will see them again, not in heaven, but as living breathing humans once again. That's a topic for another thread.)
Right. The point has already been made that a Christian God would have had the option of punishing the drunk driver without letting him victimize an innocent woman, her two children, and the surviving husband.

Let's look at this situation from a different perspective. God gave us His laws to ensure the safety and well being of all mankind. Mankind collectively benefits if they are obeyed and conversely suffers if they are not. Has anyone stopped to think what kind of world this would be if God intervened to prevent all wrongful actions? It would be a kind of zombie-like populace, shuffling about in mindless obedience to myriad laws that would govern all human behavior.
What a bizarre argument in favor of letting stupid, evil people have their way. If the drunk driver were going to be punished anyway, what was the point of letting him harm innocent people? Do you think that the surviving husband would have been turned into a shuffling, mindless zombie if a miracle had saved the life of his wife and children?

But let's think this through. The husband gets to keep his free will. The drunk driver, having violated God's Law, goes to hell or whatever you think happens to violators after death. And the wife and children get to spend eternity with God, presuming they haven't done something to offend God earlier in their lives. Ultimately, they all get to end up together in heavenly bliss after the husband dies. Now what? Are they mindless zombies forever in heaven because God is on their back throughout every moment of eternity? Think about "what kind of world" the afterlife would bring. Does your "mindless zombie" argument make any sense at all?

But if God were to impose such restraints on humans, what then? Very likely, He would be faced with a continual battle - a constant stream of hatred, invective, curses and screams of anger, He would be faced with a decision to beat humankind into submission - with the end product a mindless, dutifully obedient organism without thought, without reason, without intellect, and totally devoid of character.
Ah, now I see the problem. God would have chaos on his hands, and who can reasonably expect an omnipotent being not to be overwhelmed by that? It's one thing to create the entire universe with its 200-500 billion galaxies (each consisting of hundreds of billions of stars), but that is nothing compared to playing nursemaid over a few billion complaining human beings. I can see where even God would be getting a headache trying to solve that one. :rolleyes:

james2ko

What a bizarre argument in favor of letting stupid, evil people have their way. If the drunk driver were going to be punished anyway, what was the point of letting him harm innocent people? Do you think that the surviving husband would have been turned into a shuffling, mindless zombie if a miracle had saved the life of his wife and children?

But let's think this through. The husband gets to keep his free will. The drunk driver, having violated God's Law, goes to hell or whatever you think happens to violators after death. And the wife and children get to spend eternity with God, presuming they haven't done something to offend God earlier in their lives. Ultimately, they all get to end up together in heavenly bliss after the husband dies. Now what? Are they mindless zombies forever in heaven because God is on their back throughout every moment of eternity? Think about "what kind of world" the afterlife would bring. Does your "mindless zombie" argument make any sense at all?

Ah, now I see the problem. God would have chaos on his hands, and who can reasonably expect an omnipotent being not to be overwhelmed by that? It's one thing to create the entire universe with its 200-500 billion galaxies (each consisting of hundreds of billions of stars), but that is nothing compared to playing nursemaid over a few billion complaining human beings. I can see where even God would be getting a headache trying to solve that one. :rolleyes:

Your statements which were grossly taken out of context deserve no answer.

Copernicus

Your statements which were grossly taken out of context deserve no answer.
I do not believe you capable of answering them. It makes no sense at all that God's intervention would somehow turn human beings into mindless zombies (even though the Bible is full of reported interventions) and that God would somehow be overwhelmed by needy humans if he intervened regularly. I've heard these kinds of arguments before, but I have yet to find a Christian who can defend them. Better to walk off in a huff.

Last edited:

PolyHedral

Superabacus Mystic
You are essentially asking for God to remove the effects of human action--free moral agency--of free choice. You are asking God to allow man to continue breaking natural and spiritual laws--continue living the way that causes human misery. In short, you are asking God to abolish the effects of the penalty for sin which has been imputed on all of mankind--innocent and guilty alike, while leaving the sin itself.
I'm also asking God to remove the reasons why this is a bad thing. :D

It has probably already been said but I will say it again just in case it has been overlooked.
This a dumb question and does not deserve an answer. First, Christians do not equate God;s plan with death. Death is Satan's plan Christ came to give life. Blame the Devi for death.Christ will restore life in the final end of things.You probably knew this so you owe us a better question that is not a logical trap.For example, what can you do to escape the death trap?l
Is God all-powerful or not?

james2ko

I do not believe you capable of answering them. It makes no sense at all that God's intervention would somehow turn human beings into mindless zombies (even though the Bible is full of reported interventions) and that God would somehow be overwhelmed by needy humans if he intervened regularly. I've heard these kinds of arguments before, but I have yet to find a Christian who can defend them. Better to walk off in a huff.

Funny you say that because I have yet to meet a skeptic who can make a point without taking statements out of context to prove their theory of why God allows the innocent to suffer.

I am not obligated to prove anything to anyone but myself which I have already done. Besides it will not matter what me or any Christians says, it will not change your view nor will anything you say change mine. So why waste our time and the forums bandwidth, right?

Copernicus

I am not obligated to prove anything to anyone but myself which I have already done. Besides it will not matter what me or any Christians says, it will not change your view nor will anything you say change mine. So why waste our time and the forums bandwidth, right?
James, this is a public debate forum, not simply a place to post opinions you've proven to yourself and have no interest in defending to others. The object is not necessarily to convince the person you are responding to, but also to reach a wider audience with your thoughts. If you feel that everyone who doesn't already agree with you is too stubborn to see reason, then you have wasted bandwidth by posting your opinions in the first place.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
But this already happens.

There are many "sinful" actions that don't create suffering or death. For instance, when a person skips church or blasphemes, nobody is killed or injured.

When a drunk driver is in a collision, often nobody will die. Sometimes, a drunk driver isn't in a collision at all. Death is not a necessary effect of the "sin" of drunk driving.

This a dumb question and does not deserve an answer. First, Christians do not equate God;s plan with death. Death is Satan's plan Christ came to give life. Blame the Devi for death.
And blame God for the Devil.

openyourmind

It is simple. God tells you that he will no longer intevine. He has taught you his love and told you if you stay close to me you will feel loved. The person driving drunk did they not know what they did was wrong, but it is before god his spirit be judged. Do you even know if those that passed had no clue? Do you know that could did speak to them and say do not go this way? He was there in there passing and if they did what he asked he took them with him. But he is not done what about the father/husband that has been left feeling alone. He sends his children unto him to ask him that he turn to him. It is within his comfort that he will find love. He is doing he can to get him to see he is not alone. And that those he loved are not for him to worry that is what he does. He will teach you to forgive then person that has stolen from him what he loved. Anger can lead to vengance and distrust. Brings darkness upon him making it hard for him to see and find his way. He is there to help you when you need it and send you what you need, the question is will u trust him to give you what he has said. Tell him turn to him, do not turn from his hand it is his time to take another path.

james2ko

But this already happens.

There are many "sinful" actions that don't create suffering or death. For instance, when a person skips church or blasphemes, nobody is killed or injured.

When a drunk driver is in a collision, often nobody will die. Sometimes, a drunk driver isn't in a collision at all. Death is not a necessary effect of the "sin" of drunk driving.

I never implied death as the only effect of sin--there are many. I made my statement based on the context of the OP..