• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

For Muslims: Is Muhammad the last Prophet from God?

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
@Link

You do not want to accept, the Quran as it is.

The verse 7:34 does not even require interpretation.

It says, every Ummah has a Period.
For example Ummah of Moses had a Period. Its period ended with Jesus. Because once Jesus came, the Ummah was then the Ummah of Jesus. The Period of Ummah of Moses had ended.
Likewise, whe Muhammad came, the period of Ummah of Jesus ended. Because at that time, the Ummah was, Ummah of Muhammad.
It has nothing to do with destruction.
Otherwise Zoroasterians, Jews or Christians would have been destroyed. Or at least one of them would have been desteoyed.
How come only those people who cannot even Historically prove they existed were destroyed?
You cannot any people were ever destroyed Historically. You cannot prove any Miracles happend actually Historically. You just have these things in your imagination and have taken your imagination as Reality.

The context is about destroyed nations. Arabic it's normal to assume bracket words where it's implicitly obvious. In this case, the examples mentioned before are all destroyed nations. So the implicit meaning is "all (such) nations".

InvestigateTruth

Veteran Member
وَمَا مِنْ دَابَّةٍ فِي الْأَرْضِ وَلَا طَائِرٍ يَطِيرُ بِجَنَاحَيْهِ إِلَّا أُمَمٌ أَمْثَالُكُمْ ۚ مَا فَرَّطْنَا فِي الْكِتَابِ مِنْ شَيْءٍ ۚ ثُمَّ إِلَىٰ رَبِّهِمْ يُحْشَرُونَ | There is no animal on land, nor a bird that flies with its wings, but they are communities like yourselves. We have not omitted anything from the Book. Then they will be mustered toward their Lord. | Al-An'aam : 38

It's the same word, plural version.

True, it is the same word plural.

This verse is talking about Ummah of Jesus and Ummah of Moses, who are likened to the earth Animals and Birds. Likening disbelievers to Animals is seen in many parts of the Quran, and Hadithes.

وَقَطَّعْنَاهُمْ فِي الْأَرْضِ أُمَمًا ۖ مِنْهُمُ الصَّالِحُونَ وَمِنْهُمْ دُونَ ذَٰلِكَ ۖ وَبَلَوْنَاهُمْ بِالْحَسَنَاتِ وَالسَّيِّئَاتِ لَعَلَّهُمْ يَرْجِعُونَ | We dispersed them into communities around the earth: some of them were righteous, and some of them otherwise, and We tested them with good and bad [times] so that they may come back. | Al-A'raaf : 168

This verse is about the Jews.

It is saying, God caused the Jews to be exiled into other Ummahs, meaning some Jews were exiled and lived among Ummah of Zoroaster (Persians) some were exiled and lived among other Ummahs, such as Ummahs of Buddha, Krishna, and later among Ummah of Jesus.
Again, Ummah here, is a reference to the communities following a particular Messenger of God.

The hadiths show it's leaders like Ali (a), Hassan (a), Hussain (a). Also, the Quran shows the same. I've shown you these hadiths before. I will look them up and post them again.

sure, please do so.

The context shows "for every people" means just as I explained. Otherwise, why talk about all these destroyed nations as examples before that?
I don't know what you mean here.

If you look at some verses before or after 7:34, does it talk about destroyed nations?

Beside this, why do you think, destroyed Ummahs, is not in a spiritual sense?
Just as the Quran uses the term "Dead" to mean, Spiritually dead.

Last edited:

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
If you look at some verses before or after 7:34, does it talk about destroyed nations?

Yes the stories of destroyed nations all lead up to this verse. It's obvious it's in that context. But you are arguing for an interpretation even if true, does not prove your case.

Suppose it means ummah of Mohammad (s) will come to an end as well. Well, the world is coming to an end per Quran as well. Why can't the final end term of ummah Mohammad (s) be the end of the world?

I don't think it means this by context, but I just wanted to show even if your interpretation is correct, it doesn't prove your case.

InvestigateTruth

Veteran Member
Yes the stories of destroyed nations all lead up to this verse. It's obvious it's in that context.

Each Ummah having a perdiod or Ajal, means, every Ummah has appointed a Beginning and End Time for it.
For example, When Jesus came, it was the beginning of Ummah of Jesus, and Once its End came, Muhammad was sent.

No body got destroyed.

I agree, there is a punishment for Rejecting a Messenger. The Jews were indeed punished, as per Quran. Part of their Punishment was, they were all Excited to different Nations. Thus, in this Sense, the community of Jews were Punished.
likewise, the Christians were punished for rejecting Muhammad. You can say, the wars among Christians and killing each other, including the World war was their Punishment.

so, there is always a punishment for rejecting the Messenger. But, this punishment is not like a strange thing to happen, such as Raining Stones from Sky.
though the Quran talks like that, and says God threw stones.

remember, when Muhammad threw Stones, then Allah said it was not Muhammad, but it was Allah.
likewise, you see in Some Surrah's you see it says, Allah punished a people, or stone was raining on them. It means it was done through the Will of God, though it was physically done by their enemies.

But you are arguing for an interpretation even if true, does not prove your case.

Suppose it means ummah of Mohammad (s) will come to an end as well. Well, the world is coming to an end per Quran as well. Why can't the final end term of ummah Mohammad (s) be the end of the world?

I don't think it means this by context, but I just wanted to show even if your interpretation is correct, it doesn't prove your case.

That is because, the End of Ummah of Muhammad, happend to be at the same time of End of the World.

I mean, Ummah of Jesus had an End. But their end, was before the End of the World.

This verse is an evidence that Ummah of Muhammad is not the Final Ummah. It is a Middle Ummah, between the Christians and the future Ummah after them:

وَكَذَ ٰلِكَ جَعَلۡنَـٰكُمۡ أُمَّةࣰ وَسَطࣰا لِّتَكُونُوا۟ شُهَدَاۤءَ عَلَى ٱلنَّاسِ وَیَكُونَ ٱلرَّسُولُ عَلَیۡكُمۡ شَهِیدࣰاۗ

"Thus We have appointed you a middle nation (Ummah), that ye may be witnesses against people, and that the messenger may be a witness against you." 2:143

When Hadithes speak of End of World, it is talking about the world that had begun 6000 years ago, with Adam. That world, was to end on the Sixth Day, and on the Seventh Day a new world to began.

Have you heard the Hadith that says, this world is like Days of the week? Each Day is a Thousand years.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
That is because, the End of Ummah of Muhammad, happend to be at the same time of End of the World.

I mean, Ummah of Jesus had an End. But their end, was before the End of the World.

This verse is an evidence that Ummah of Muhammad is not the Final Ummah. It is a Middle Ummah, between the Christians and the future Ummah after them:

وَكَذَ ٰلِكَ جَعَلۡنَـٰكُمۡ أُمَّةࣰ وَسَطࣰا لِّتَكُونُوا۟ شُهَدَاۤءَ عَلَى ٱلنَّاسِ وَیَكُونَ ٱلرَّسُولُ عَلَیۡكُمۡ شَهِیدࣰاۗ

"Thus We have appointed you a middle nation (Ummah), that ye may be witnesses against people, and that the messenger may be a witness against you." 2:143

When Hadithes speak of End of World, it is talking about the world that had begun 6000 years ago, with Adam. That world, was to end on the Sixth Day, and on the Seventh Day a new world to began.

Have you heard the Hadith that says, this world is like Days of the week? Each Day is a Thousand years.

So now you have to resort to more ambiguity and weird interpretations? The hadiths about that verse talk about it being "the family of Mohammad" being an intermediate course, or what people often called "middle men", as in between God and servants, they between that.

Sunnis see it to mean a nation between extremes, but I think Tabatabai rightly argues it's linked to being witnesses over people and Quran elsewhere talks about the witnesses so it's more about being middle/intermediates course between God and his creation.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
so, there is always a punishment for rejecting the Messenger. But, this punishment is not like a strange thing to happen, such as Raining Stones from Sky.
though the Quran talks like that, and says God threw stones.

So you are saying that all talk about destruction whether in Surah Haqah about the consecutive days and nights of a harsh wind or else where, it's metaphoric?

firedragon

Veteran Member
What other meaning does that have?

And since you are answering for another person, can you explain how in the world the OP brings in "Every religious community" on top of it rather than just "every people" or "every nation"?

Can you explain?

Last edited:

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Salam

Regarding Imams (a) and their nations split per hadiths and Quran:

دًا | So how shall it be, when We bring a witness from every nation and We bring you as a witness upon these? | An-Nisaa : 41

This verse says there is a witness from every people and Mohammad (s) is a witness upon his people.

أَفَمَنْ كَانَ عَلَىٰ بَيِّنَةٍ مِنْ رَبِّهِ وَيَتْلُوهُ شَاهِدٌ مِنْهُ وَمِنْ قَبْلِهِ كِتَابُ مُوسَىٰ إِمَامًا وَرَحْمَةً ۚ أُولَٰئِكَ يُؤْمِنُونَ بِهِ ۚ وَمَنْ يَكْفُرْ بِهِ مِنَ الْأَحْزَابِ فَالنَّارُ مَوْعِدُهُ ۚ فَلَا تَكُ فِي مِرْيَةٍ مِنْهُ ۚ إِنَّهُ الْحَقُّ مِنْ رَبِّكَ وَلَٰكِنَّ أَكْثَرَ النَّاسِ لَا يُؤْمِنُونَ | Is he who stands on a manifest proof from his Lord, and whom a witness from him follows? And before him there was the Book of Moses, a guide and mercy. It is they who have faith in it, and whoever defies him from among the factions, the Fire is their tryst. So do not be in doubt about it; it is the truth from your Lord, but most people do not have faith. | Hud : 17

There is a witness from Mohammad (s) and the following verse confirms it's one of those witnesses talked about that testify on the day of judgment:

وَمَنْ أَظْلَمُ مِمَّنِ افْتَرَىٰ عَلَى اللَّهِ كَذِبًا ۚ أُولَٰئِكَ يُعْرَضُونَ عَلَىٰ رَبِّهِمْ وَيَقُولُ الْأَشْهَادُ هَٰؤُلَاءِ الَّذِينَ كَذَبُوا عَلَىٰ رَبِّهِمْ ۚ أَلَا لَعْنَةُ اللَّهِ عَلَى الظَّالِمِينَ | Who is a greater wrongdoer than him who fabricates a lie against Allah? Such shall be presented before their Lord, and the witnesses will say, ‘It is these who lied against their Lord.’ Behold! The curse of Allah is upon the wrongdoers | Hud : 18

Notice that the ending chapter 13 ends with:

وَيَقُولُ الَّذِينَ كَفَرُوا لَسْتَ مُرْسَلًا ۚ قُلْ كَفَىٰ بِاللَّهِ شَهِيدًا بَيْنِي وَبَيْنَكُمْ وَمَنْ عِنْدَهُ عِلْمُ الْكِتَابِ | The faithless say, ‘You have not been sent [by Allah].’ Say, ‘Allah suffices as a witness between me and you, and he who possesses the knowledge of the Book.’ | Ar-Ra'd : 43

The implicit meaning then is the guide is the witness who possesses knowledge of the book.

And it also said who God misguides, has no guide:

أَفَمَنْ هُوَ قَائِمٌ عَلَىٰ كُلِّ نَفْسٍ بِمَا كَسَبَتْ ۗ وَجَعَلُوا لِلَّهِ شُرَكَاءَ قُلْ سَمُّوهُمْ ۚ أَمْ تُنَبِّئُونَهُ بِمَا لَا يَعْلَمُ فِي الْأَرْضِ أَمْ بِظَاهِرٍ مِنَ الْقَوْلِ ۗ بَلْ زُيِّنَ لِلَّذِينَ كَفَرُوا مَكْرُهُمْ وَصُدُّوا عَنِ السَّبِيلِ ۗ وَمَنْ يُضْلِلِ اللَّهُ فَمَا لَهُ مِنْ هَادٍ | Is He who sustains every soul in spite of what it earns [comparable to the idols]? Yet they ascribe partners to Allah! Say, ‘Name them!’ Will you inform Him concerning something He does not know about on the earth, or concerning [what are] mere words? Indeed, to the faithless, their scheming is presented as decorous, and they have been barred from the
way; and whomever Allah leads astray, has no guide. | Ar-Ra'd : 33

What does witnessing mean? Other verses clarify:

يَعْتَذِرُونَ إِلَيْكُمْ إِذَا رَجَعْتُمْ إِلَيْهِمْ ۚ قُلْ لَا تَعْتَذِرُوا لَنْ نُؤْمِنَ لَكُمْ قَدْ نَبَّأَنَا اللَّهُ مِنْ أَخْبَارِكُمْ ۚ وَسَيَرَى اللَّهُ عَمَلَكُمْ وَرَسُولُهُ ثُمَّ تُرَدُّونَ إِلَىٰ عَالِمِ الْغَيْبِ وَالشَّهَادَةِ فَيُنَبِّئُكُمْ بِمَا كُنْتُمْ تَعْمَلُونَ | They will offer you excuses when you return to them. Say, ‘Do not make excuses; we will never believe you. Allah has informed us of your state of affairs. Allah and His Apostle will observe your conduct, then you will be returned to the Knower of the sensible and the Unseen, and He will inform you concerning what you used to do.’ | At-Tawba : 94

وَقُلِ اعْمَلُوا فَسَيَرَى اللَّهُ عَمَلَكُمْ وَرَسُولُهُ وَالْمُؤْمِنُونَ ۖ وَسَتُرَدُّونَ إِلَىٰ عَالِمِ الْغَيْبِ وَالشَّهَادَةِ فَيُنَبِّئُكُمْ بِمَا كُنْتُمْ تَعْمَلُونَ | And say, ‘Go on working: Allah will see your conduct, and His Apostle and the security givers, and you will be returned to the Knower of the sensible and the Unseen, and He will inform you concerning what you used to do. | At-Tawba : 105

I translated it as security givers, because, it's not all believers, but the Imams (a):

حدثنا أبي - رحمه الله - قال: حدثنا سعد بن عبد الله، عن يعقوب يزيد، عن محمد بن أبي عمير، عن أبي المغرا، عن أبي بصير، عن أبي جعفر عليه السلام قال: الهبة جائزة قبضت أولم تقبض، قسمت أولم تقسم، وإنما أراد الناس النحل فأخطؤا والنحل لا تجوز حتى تقبض.

37. My father, may Allah grant him mercy, said: We were told by Muhammed bin Yahya al-‘Attar, from Abu Sa’eed al-Adami, from Hasan bin Ali bin Abi Hamza, from his father, from Abu Baseer, that he said: I said to Abu Abdillah, peace be upon him: Indeed, Abu’l-Khattab used to say: Indeed, for the Messenger of Allah, the deeds of his nation are presented to him every Thursday. Abu Abdillah, peace be upon him, said: It is not as such. Rather, for the Messenger of Allah, the deeds of his nation are presented to him every morning, from their good ones and dissolute ones. Thus, beware, and that is the saying of Allah, Exalted and Glorious is He: «And say: Do, for Allah will see your deed, and so will His Messenger and the security givers» (9:105) He then became silent. Abu Baseer said: He only meant the Imams, peace be upon them.

Maʿānī al-ʾAkhbār, The chapter of rare meanings, Hadith #36

61ـ أَحْمَدُ عَنْ عَبْدِ الْعَظِيمِ عَنِ الْحُسَيْنِ بْنِ مَيَّاحٍ عَمَّنْ أَخْبَرَهُ قَالَ قَرَأَ رَجُلٌ عِنْدَ أَبِي عَبْدِ الله (عَلَيْهِ السَّلام) قُلِ اعْمَلُوا فَسَيَرَى الله عَمَلَكُمْ وَرَسُولُهُ وَالْمُؤْمِنُونَ فَقَالَ لَيْسَ هَكَذَا هِيَ إِنَّمَا هِيَ وَالْمَأْمُونُونَ فَنَحْنُ الْمَأْمُونُونَ.

61. Ahmad has narrated from ‘Abd al-‘Azim from al-Husayn ibn Mayyah from those who informed him has said the following “A man read this verse before abu ‘Abdallah (a.s.) “(Muhammad), tell them, “Act as you wish. God, His Messenger and the security givers will see your deeds. . .” (9:105) The Imam (a.s.) said, “It is not all believers. It refers to the secured ones among them. We are the secured ones.”

Al-Kāfi - Volume 1, Enlightening Points Deduced from the Holy Quran about Leadership with Divine Authority), Hadith #61

5ـ أَحْمَدُ بْنُ مِهْرَانَ عَنْ مُحَمَّدِ بْنِ عَلِيٍّ عَنْ أَبِي عَبْدِ الله الصَّامِتِ عَنْ يَحْيَى بْنِ مُسَاوِرٍ عَنْ ابي جعفر (عَلَيْهِ السَّلام) أَنَّهُ ذَكَرَ هَذِهِ الايَةَ فَسَيَرَى الله عَمَلَكُمْ وَرَسُولُهُ وَالْمُؤْمِنُونَ قَالَ هُوَ وَالله عَلِيُّ بْنُ أَبِي طَالِبٍ (عَلَيْهِ السَّلام)

5. Ahmad ibn Mihran has narrated from Muhammad ibn Ali from abu ‘Abdallah al-Samit from Yahya ibn Musawir from abu Ja'far (a.s), that he mentioned this verse, “Act as you wish. God will see your deeds and so will do His Messenger and the security givers. . .” (9:105) He (a.s.) then said, “I swear by Allah that he (the security giver) is Ali ibn abu Talib (a.s.).”

Al-Kāfi - Volume 1, The deeds of the people are presented before the Holy Prophet (s.a.) and the Imams (a.s.), Hadith #5

2ـ عِدَّةٌ مِنْ أَصْحَابِنَا عَنْ أَحْمَدَ بْنِ مُحَمَّدٍ عَنِ الْحُسَيْنِ بْنِ سَعِيدٍ عَنِ النَّضْرِ بْنِ سُوَيْدٍ عَنْ يَحْيَى الْحَلَبِيِّ عَنْ عَبْدِ الْحَمِيدِ الطَّائِيِّ عَنْ يَعْقُوبَ بْنِ شُعَيْبٍ قَالَ سَأَلْتُ أَبَا عَبْدِ الله (عَلَيْهِ السَّلام) عَنْ قَوْلِ الله عَزَّ وَجَلَّ اعْمَلُوا فَسَيَرَى الله عَمَلَكُمْ وَرَسُولُهُ وَالْمُؤْمِنُونَ قَالَ هُمُ الائِمَّةُ.

2. A number of our people has narrated from Ahmad ibn Muhammad from al-Husayn ibn Sa‘id from al-Nadr ibn Suwayd from Yahya al-Halabi from ‘Abd al-Hamid al-Ta’i from Ya‘qub ibn Shu‘ayb. He has said that he asked abu ‘Abdallah (a.s.) about the meaning of the words of Allah, the Most Majestic and most Exalted: “Act as you wish. God will see your deeds and so will do His Messenger and the security givers. . .” (9:105) He (a.s.) said, “They (the security givers) are the Imams”.

Al-Kāfi - Volume 1, The deeds of the people are presented before the Holy Prophet (s.a.) and the Imams (a.s.), Hadith #2

4ـ عَلِيٌّ عَنْ أَبِيهِ عَنِ الْقَاسِمِ بْنِ مُحَمَّدٍ عَنِ الزَّيَّاتِ عَنْ عَبْدِ الله بْنِ أَبَانٍ الزَّيَّاتِ وَكَانَ مَكِيناً عِنْدَ الرِّضَا (عَلَيْهِ السَّلام) قَالَ قُلْتُ لِلرِّضَا (عَلَيْهِ السَّلام) ادْعُ الله لِي وَلاهْلِ بَيْتِي فَقَالَ أَ وَلَسْتُ أَفْعَلُ وَالله إِنَّ أَعْمَالَكُمْ لَتُعْرَضُ عَلَيَّ فِي كُلِّ يَوْمٍ وَلَيْلَةٍ قَالَ فَاسْتَعْظَمْتُ ذَلِكَ فَقَالَ لِي أَ مَا تَقْرَأُ كِتَابَ الله عَزَّ وَجَلَّ وَقُلِ اعْمَلُوا فَسَيَرَى الله عَمَلَكُمْ وَرَسُولُهُ وَالْمُؤْمِنُونَ قَالَ هُوَ وَالله عَلِيُّ بْنُ أَبِي طَالِبٍ (عَلَيْهِ السَّلام)

4. Ali from has narrated from his father from al-Qasim ibn Muhammad from al-Zayyat from ‘Abdallah ibn Aban al-Zayyat who was well placed in the eyes of al-Rida (a.s.). He has said that he asked al-Rida (a.s.): "Pray for me and my family." He (a.s) replied: "Am I not praying for them? I swear by Allah that your deeds are presented before me every day and night.” He has said that it seemed extremely great to me. He (a.s.) said to me, “Do you not read in the Book of Allah, the Most Majestic and Most Exalted, ‘Act as you wish. God will see your deeds and so will do His Messenger and the security givers. . .’” (9:105) He (a.s.) then said, “I swear by Allah that he (the security giver) is Ali ibn abu Talib (a.s.).”

Al-Kāfi - Volume 1, The deeds of the people are presented before the Holy Prophet (s.a.) and the Imams (a.s.), Hadith #4

5ـ أَحْمَدُ بْنُ مِهْرَانَ عَنْ مُحَمَّدِ بْنِ عَلِيٍّ عَنْ أَبِي عَبْدِ الله الصَّامِتِ عَنْ يَحْيَى بْنِ مُسَاوِرٍ عَنْ ابي جعفر (عَلَيْهِ السَّلام) أَنَّهُ ذَكَرَ هَذِهِ الايَةَ فَسَيَرَى الله عَمَلَكُمْ وَرَسُولُهُ وَالْمُؤْمِنُونَ قَالَ هُوَ وَالله عَلِيُّ بْنُ أَبِي طَالِبٍ (عَلَيْهِ السَّلام)

5. Ahmad ibn Mihran has narrated from Muhammad ibn Ali from abu ‘Abdallah al-Samit from Yahya ibn Musawir from abu Ja'far (a.s), that he mentioned this verse, “Act as you wish. God will see your deeds and so will do His Messenger and the security givers. . .” (9:105) He (a.s.) then said, “I swear by Allah that he (the security giver) is Ali ibn abu Talib (a.s.).”

Al-Kāfi - Volume 1, The deeds of the people are presented before the Holy Prophet (s.a.) and the Imams (a.s.), Hadith #5

Will continue with this theme....

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
This also confirmed in this verse:

إِنَّا نَحْنُ نُحْيِي الْمَوْتَىٰ وَنَكْتُبُ مَا قَدَّمُوا وَآثَارَهُمْ ۚ وَكُلَّ شَيْءٍ أَحْصَيْنَاهُ فِي إِمَامٍ مُبِينٍ | Indeed it is We who revive the dead and write what they have sent ahead and their effects [which they left behind], and We have encompassed everything in a manifest Imam/leader. | Yaseen : 12

حدثنا أحمد بن محمد بن الصقر الصائغ قال: حدثنا عيسى بن محمد العلوي، قال: حدثنا أحمد بن سلام الكوفي، قال: حدثنا الحسن بن عبد الواحد، قال: حدثنا الحارث بن الحسن، قال: حدثنا أحمد بن إسماعيل بن صدقة، عن أبي الجارود، عن أبي جعفر محمد بن علي الباقر، عن أبيه، عن جده عليهم السلام قال: لما أنزلت هذه الآية على رسول الله صلى الله عليه وآله " وكل شئ أحصيناه في إمام مبين " قام أبو بكر وعمر من مجلسهما فقالا: يا رسول الله هو التوراة؟ قال: لا، قالا: فهو الإنجيل؟ قال: لا، قالا: فهو القرآن؟ قال: لا. قال: فأقبل أمير المؤمنين علي عليه السلام فقال رسول الله صلى الله عليه وآله: هو هذا، إنه الامام الذي أحصى الله تبارك وتعالى فيه علم كل شئ.

1. We were told by Ahmad bin Muhammed bin Saqr al-Sa’igh, that he said: We were told by Isa bin Muhammed al-Alawi, that he said: We were told by Ahmad bin Salam al-Kufi, that he said: We were told by Hasan bin Abdul-Wahid, that he said: We were told by Harith bin Hasan, that he said: We were told by Ahmad bin Isma’il bin Sadaqa, from Abu’l-Jarud, from Abu Ja’far, Muhammed bin Ali al-Baqir, from his father, from his grandfather, peace be upon him, that he said: When this verse was sent down unto the Messenger of Allah, Allah’s blessings be upon him and his Family: «And We have enumerated everything in a Clear Imam» (36:12) Abu Bakr and Umar arose from their sitting places and said: O Messenger of Allah, is it the Tawrat? He said: No. They said: Then is it the Injeel? He said: No. They said: Then is it the Qur’an? He said: No. He said: Then the Commander of the Believers, Ali, peace be upon him, approached and the Messenger of Allah, Allah’s blessings be upon him and his Family, said: It is him. Indeed, he is the Imam in whom Allah, Blessed and Exalted is He, enumerated the knowledge of everything.

Maʿānī al-ʾAkhbār, The meaning of the Clear Imam, Hadith #1

6 - حدثنا أحمد بن محمد الصائغ العدل، قال: حدثنا عيسى بن محمد العلوي، قال: حدثنا أحمد بن سلام الكوفي، قال: حدثنا الحسين بن عبد الواحد، قال: حدثنا حرب بن الحسن، قال: حدثنا أحمد بن إسماعيل بن صدقة، عن أبي الجارود، عن أبي جعفر محمد بن علي الباقر (عليه السلام)، قال: لما نزلت هذه الآية على رسول الله (صلى الله عليه وآله) (وكل شئ أحصيناه في إمام مبين) (3) قام رجلان من مجلسهما، فقالا: يا رسول الله، هو التوراة؟ قال: لا. قالا: فهو الانجيل؟ قال: لا. قالا فهو القرآن؟ قال: لا. قال: فأقبل أمير المؤمنين علي، فقال رسول الله (صلى الله عليه وآله): هو هذا، إنه الامام الذي أحصى الله تبارك وتعالى فيه علم كل شئ (4).:

Ahmad b. Muhammad the fair goldsmith narrated to us. He said: `Isa b. Muhammad al-`Alawi narrated to us. He said: Ahmad b. Salim al-Kufi narrated to us. He said: al-Husayn b. `Abd al-Wahid narrated to us. He said: Harb b. al-Hasan narrated to us. He said: Ahmad b. Isma`il b. Sadaqa narrated to us from Abi’l Jarud from Abi Ja`far Muhammad b. `Ali al-Baqir (as). He said: When this verse, “And We have recorded everything in a Manifest Imam” (36:12), was revealed to the Messenger of Allah (s), two men stood from their sitting and said: O Messenger of Allah! Is it the Torah? He said: No. They said: Is it the Gospel? He said: No. They said: Is it the Quran? He said: No. Then, Amir al-Mu’minin `Ali came forward; so, the Messenger of Allah (s) said: It is he – he is the Imam in whom Allah has recorded the knowledge of everything.

Al-Amālī, The Thirty-Second Assembly, Tuesday, the Twelfth of Muharram, 368 AH., Hadith #6

It's also confirmed in the following verse:

يَوْمَ نَدْعُو كُلَّ أُنَاسٍ بِإِمَامِهِمْ ۖ فَمَنْ أُوتِيَ كِتَابَهُ بِيَمِينِهِ فَأُولَٰئِكَ يَقْرَءُونَ كِتَابَهُمْ وَلَا يُظْلَمُونَ فَتِيلًا | The day We shall summon every group of people along with their imam, then whoever is given his book in his right hand—they will read it, and they will not be wronged so much as a single date-thread. | Al-Israa : 71

3ـ عَلِيُّ بْنُ مُحَمَّدٍ عَنْ سَهْلِ بْنِ زِيَادٍ عَنْ مُحَمَّدِ بْنِ الْحَسَنِ بْنِ شَمُّونٍ عَنْ عَبْدِ الله بْنِ عَبْدِ الرَّحْمَنِ عَنْ عَبْدِ الله بْنِ الْقَاسِمِ الْبَطَلِ عَنْ عَبْدِ الله بْنِ سِنَانٍ قَالَ قُلْتُ لابِي عَبْدِ الله (عَلَيْهِ السَّلام) يَوْمَ نَدْعُوا كُلَّ أُناسٍ بِإِمامِهِمْ قَالَ إِمَامِهِمُ الَّذِي بَيْنَ أَظْهُرِهِمْ وَهُوَ قَائِمُ أَهْلِ زَمَانِهِ.

3. Ali ibn Muhammad has narrated from Sahl ibn Ziyad from Muhammad ibn al-Hassan ibn Shammun from ‘Abdallah ibn ‘Abd al-Rahman from ‘Abdallah ibn al-Qasim al-Batal from ‘Abdallah ibn Sinan who has said the following. “I asked abu ‘Abdallah (a.s.) about the meaning of , ‘On the day when We will call every nation with her Imam (leader) . .” (17:71) The Imam (a.s.) said, “It refers to the Imam who is with them and he is al-Qa’im of the people of that time.”

Al-Kāfi - Volume 1, All the Imams (a.s.) rise for and with authority of Allah, the Most High and guide to Him Allah, Hadith #3

2ـ الْحُسَيْنُ بْنُ مُحَمَّدٍ عَنْ مُعَلَّى بْنِ مُحَمَّدٍ عَنْ مُحَمَّدِ بْنِ جُمْهُورٍ عَنْ صَفْوَانَ بْنِ يَحْيَى عَنْ مُحَمَّدِ بْنِ مَرْوَانَ عَنِ الْفُضَيْلِ بْنِ يَسَارٍ قَالَ سَأَلْتُ أَبَا عَبْدِ الله (عَلَيْهِ السَّلام) عَنْ قَوْلِ الله تَبَارَكَ وَتَعَالَى يَوْمَ نَدْعُوا كُلَّ أُناسٍ بِإِمامِهِمْ فَقَالَ يَا فُضَيْلُ اعْرِفْ إِمَامَكَ فَإِنَّكَ إِذَا عَرَفْتَ إِمَامَكَ لَمْ يَضُرَّكَ تَقَدَّمَ هَذَا الامْرُ أَوْ تَأَخَّرَ وَمَنْ عَرَفَ إِمَامَهُ ثُمَّ مَاتَ قَبْلَ أَنْ يَقُومَ صَاحِبُ هَذَا الامْرِ كَانَ بِمَنْزِلَةِ مَنْ كَانَ قَاعِداً فِي عَسْكَرِهِ لا بَلْ بِمَنْزِلَةِ مَنْ قَعَدَ تَحْتَ لِوَائِهِ قَالَ وَقَالَ بَعْضُ أَصْحَابِهِ بِمَنْزِلَةِ مَنِ اسْتُشْهِدَ مَعَ رَسُولِ الله (صَلَّى اللهُ عَلَيْهِ وَآلِه )

2. Al-Husayn ibn Muhammad has narrated from Mu‘alla ibn Muhammad from Muhammad ibn Jumhur from Safwan ibn Yahya from Muhammad ibn Marwan from al-Fudayl ibn Yasar who has said the following. “I asked abu ‘Abdallah (a.s.) about the words of Allah, the Most Holy, the Most High, “On the day when We call every nation with their leaders, Imams. .” (17:71). He said, “O Fudayl find out who your Imam is because when you will find out who your Imam is then whether this matter (the rise of al-Mahdi with Divine Authority) will take place earlier or later will not affect you at all. One who finds out who his Imam is and then dies before the rise of al-Mahdi with Divine Authority he will be just as those who are positioned in his army. In fact, just like those who have placed themselves under his banner.” The narrator has said that certain persons from his companions said, “He will be just like the martyrs in battle supporting the Messenger of Allah. “

Al-Kāfi - Volume 1, The rise of al-Mahdi with Divine Authority earlier or later will not affect one who has learned who his Imam is, Hadith #2

1ـ مُحَمَّدُ بْنُ يَحْيَى عَنْ أَحْمَدَ بْنِ مُحَمَّدٍ عَنِ الْحَسَنِ بْنِ مَحْبُوبٍ عَنْ عَبْدِ الله بْنِ غَالِبٍ عَنْ جَابِرٍ عَنْ ابي جعفر (عَلَيْهِ السَّلام) قَالَ قَالَ لَمَّا نَزَلَتْ هَذِهِ الايَةُ يَوْمَ نَدْعُوا كُلَّ أُناسٍ بِإِمامِهِمْ قَالَ الْمُسْلِمُونَ يَا رَسُولَ الله أَ لَسْتَ إِمَامَ النَّاسِ كُلِّهِمْ أَجْمَعِينَ قَالَ فَقَالَ رَسُولُ الله (صَلَّى اللهُ عَلَيْهِ وَآلِه) أَنَا رَسُولُ الله إِلَى النَّاسِ أَجْمَعِينَ وَلَكِنْ سَيَكُونُ مِنْ بَعْدِي أَئِمَّةٌ عَلَى النَّاسِ مِنَ الله مِنْ أَهْلِ بَيْتِي يَقُومُونَ فِي النَّاسِ فَيُكَذَّبُونَ وَيَظْلِمُهُمْ أَئِمَّةُ الْكُفْرِ وَالضَّلالِ وَأَشْيَاعُهُمْ فَمَنْ وَالاهُمْ وَاتَّبَعَهُمْ وَصَدَّقَهُمْ فَهُوَ مِنِّي وَمَعِي وَسَيَلْقَانِي أَلا وَمَنْ ظَلَمَهُمْ وَكَذَّبَهُمْ فَلَيْسَ مِنِّي وَلا مَعِي وَأَنَا مِنْهُ بَرِي‏ءٌ.

1. Muhammad ibn Yahya has narrated from Ahmad ibn Muhammad from al-Hassan ibn Mahbub from ‘Abdallah ibn Ghalib from Jabir from abu Ja‘far (a.s.) who has said the following. “When the following verse of the Holy Quran was revealed, “On the day when We call every nation with their leaders, (Imams) . .” (17:71), people asked the Holy Prophet (s.a.), ‘Are you not the Imam of all the people altogether?’ The Holy Prophet (s.a.) said, “I am the Messenger of Allah to all the people but after me there will the Imams for the people from my family. They will rise among the people but they will be rejected. The leaders of the unbelievers and misguidance and their followers will do injustice to them. Those who support, love, follow and acknowledge their authority they are from me, with me and will meet me. Let it be known that those who would do injustice to the Imams (a.s) and reject them they are not from me and with me. I denounce them and all associations with them.”

Al-Kāfi - Volume 1, Two Kinds of Imam are mentioned in the Holy Quran: the Imams (a.s.) who call to Allah and the Imams who call to Fire, Hadith #1

17ـ عَلِيُّ بْنُ إِبْرَاهِيمَ عَنْ مُحَمَّدِ بْنِ عِيسَى عَنْ يُونُسَ بْنِ عَبْدِ الرَّحْمَنِ عَنْ حَمَّادٍ عَنْ عَبْدِ الاعْلَى قَالَ سَمِعْتُ أَبَا عَبْدِ الله (عَلَيْهِ السَّلام) يَقُولُ السَّمْعُ وَالطَّاعَةُ أَبْوَابُ الْخَيْرِ السَّامِعُ الْمُطِيعُ لا حُجَّةَ عَلَيْهِ وَالسَّامِعُ الْعَاصِي لا حُجَّةَ لَهُ وَإِمَامُ الْمُسْلِمِينَ تَمَّتْ حُجَّتُهُ وَاحْتِجَاجُهُ يَوْمَ يَلْقَى الله عَزَّ وَجَلَّ ثُمَّ قَالَ يَقُولُ الله تَبَارَكَ وَتَعَالَى يَوْمَ نَدْعُوا كُلَّ أُناسٍ بِإِمامِهِمْ.

17. Ali ibn Ibrahim has narrated fromMuhammad ibn ‘Isa from Yunus ibn ‘Abd al-Rahamn from Hammad from ‘Abd al-A‘la’ who has said that he hear Imam abu ‘Abdalla (a.s.) saying. “Listening and obeying are the gates to goodness. One who listens and is obedient has all the authority in his favor. One who listens but disobeys will have no authority in his favor. The leader, the Imam of the Muslims, on the Day of Judgment, in the presence of Allah, the Most Holy, the Most High, will have complete authoritative support and rightful arguments in his favor.” The Imam (a.s.) then said, “ Allah, the Most Holy, the Most High, says, ‘On the day when We call every nation with their leaders, . (17:71).”

Al-Kāfi - Volume 1, The obligation to obey the Imams (a.s.), Hadith #17

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Regarding verse 17:71

والقمّي عن الباقر عليه السلام في هذه الآية قال يجيء رسول الله صلىَّ اللهُ عليه وآله وسلم في قومه وعليّ عليه السلام في قومه والحَسَن عليه السلام في قومه والحُسين عليه السلام في قومه وكلّ من ماتَ بين ظهرانيّ قوم جاؤا معه.

والعياشي ما يقرب من معناه.

Al-Qummi, on the authority of Al-Baqir, peace be upon him, in this verse, said: The Messenger of God, may God’s prayers and peace be upon him and his family, will come with his people, Ali, peace be upon him, will come with his people, Al-Hasan, peace be upon him, will be with his people, Al-Hussein, peace be upon him, will be among his people, and everyone who died in the presence of a people will come with him.

In Ayyashi there is similar to its meaning.

Last edited:

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Salam

وَجَاءَتْ كُلُّ نَفْسٍ مَعَهَا سَائِقٌ وَشَهِيدٌ | Every soul will come accompanied by a driver and a witness: | Qaaf : 21

وَجَاهِدُوا فِي اللَّهِ حَقَّ جِهَادِهِ ۚ هُوَ اجْتَبَاكُمْ وَمَا جَعَلَ عَلَيْكُمْ فِي الدِّينِ مِنْ حَرَجٍ ۚ مِلَّةَ أَبِيكُمْ إِبْرَاهِيمَ ۚ هُوَ سَمَّاكُمُ الْمُسْلِمِينَ مِنْ قَبْلُ وَفِي هَٰذَا لِيَكُونَ الرَّسُولُ شَهِيدًا عَلَيْكُمْ وَتَكُونُوا شُهَدَاءَ عَلَى النَّاسِ ۚ فَأَقِيمُوا الصَّلَاةَ وَآتُوا الزَّكَاةَ وَاعْتَصِمُوا بِاللَّهِ هُوَ مَوْلَاكُمْ ۖ فَنِعْمَ الْمَوْلَىٰ وَنِعْمَ النَّصِيرُ | And wage jihad for the sake of Allah, a jihad which is worthy of Him. He has chosen you and has not placed for you any obstacle in the religion, the faith of your father, Abraham. He named you ‘Muslims’ before, and in this, so that the Apostle may be a witness to you, and that you may be witnesses to mankind. So maintain the prayer, give the zakat, and hold fast to Allah. He is your master—an excellent master and an excellent helper. | Al-Hajj : 78

2ـ الْحُسَيْنُ بْنُ مُحَمَّدٍ عَنْ مُعَلَّى بْنِ مُحَمَّدٍ عَنِ الْحَسَ
نِ بْنِ عَلِيٍّ الْوَشَّاءِ عَنْ أَحْمَدَ بْنِ عَائِذٍ عَنْ عُمَرَ بْنِ أُذَيْنَةَ عَنْ بُرَيْدٍ الْعِجْلِيِّ قَالَ سَأَلْتُ أَبَا عَبْدِ الله (عَلَيْهِ السَّلام) عَنْ قَوْلِ الله عَزَّ وَجَلَّ وَكَذلِكَ جَعَلْناكُمْ أُمَّةً وَسَطاً لِتَكُونُوا شُهَداءَ عَلَى النَّاسِ قَالَ نَحْنُ الامَّةُ الْوُسْطَى وَنَحْنُ شُهَدَاءُ الله عَلَى خَلْقِهِ وَحُجَجُهُ فِي أَرْضِهِ قُلْتُ قَوْلَ الله عَزَّ وَجَلَّ مِلَّةَ أَبِيكُمْ إِبْراهِيمَ قَالَ إِيَّانَا عَنَى خَاصَّةً هُوَ سَمَّاكُمُ الْمُسْلِمِينَ مِنْ قَبْلُ فِي الْكُتُبِ الَّتِي مَضَتْ وَفِي هَذَا الْقُرْآنِ لِيَكُونَ الرَّسُولُ شَهِيداً عَلَيْكُمْ فَرَسُولُ الله (صَلَّى اللهُ عَلَيْهِ وَآلِه) الشَّهِيدُ عَلَيْنَا بِمَا بَلَّغَنَا عَنِ الله عَزَّ وَجَلَّ وَنَحْنُ الشُّهَدَاءُ عَلَى النَّاسِ فَمَنْ صَدَّقَ صَدَّقْنَاهُ يَوْمَ الْقِيَامَةِ وَمَنْ كَذَّبَ كَذَّبْنَاهُ يَوْمَ الْقِيَامَةِ.

2. Al-Husayn ibn Muhammad has narrated from Mu‘alla ibn Muhammad from al-Hassan ibn al-Washsha’ from Ahmad ibn ‘A’idh from ‘Umar ibn ’Udhayna from Buarayd al-‘Ili who has said that I asked Imam abu ‘Abdallah (a.s.) about the meaning of the words of Allah: “We have made you (true Muslims) a moderate nation so that you could be (witness) an example for all people and the Prophet (a witness) an example for you. . .” (2:143) The Imam (a.s.) said, “We are the moderate nation and we bear witness to the activities of the people for Allah and we possess Divine authority on earth.” I then asked about the meaning following verse of the holy Quran: “. . the noble religion of your father, Abraham. God named you Muslims before and in this Book, so that the Messenger will witness (your actions). .” (22:78) The word ‘your father’ refers to us particularly we were called Muslims in the heavenly books that were sent before as well as this book. The messenger of Allah bears witness over us by means of teaching us the guidance of Allah and bear witness over the people. Those who would acknowledge our authority, on the Day of Judgment, we will acknowledge their faith and those who would reject our Divine authority, one the Day of Judgment, we will refuse to acknowledge their faith.”

Al-Kāfi - Volume 1, The Imams (a.s.) are witness for Allah, the Most Holy, the Most High, over His creature, Hadith #2

And for the verse about a witness from him, I forgot to show hadiths:

3ـ وَبِهَذَا الاسْنَادِ عَنْ مُعَلَّى بْنِ مُحَمَّدٍ عَنِ الْحَسَنِ بْنِ عَلِيٍّ عَنْ أَحْمَدَ بْنِ عُمَرَ الْحَلالِ قَالَ سَأَلْتُ أَبَا الْحَسَنِ (عَلَيْهِ السَّلام) عَنْ قَوْلِ الله عَزَّ وَجَلَّ أَ فَمَنْ كانَ عَلى‏ بَيِّنَةٍ مِنْ رَبِّهِ وَيَتْلُوهُ شاهِدٌ مِنْهُ فَقَالَ أَمِيرُ الْمُؤْمِنِينَ صَلَوَاتُ الله عَلَيْهِ الشَّاهِدُ عَلَى رَسُولِ الله (صَلَّى اللهُ عَلَيْهِ وَآلِه) وَرَسُولُ الله (صَلَّى اللهُ عَلَيْهِ وَآلِه) عَلَى بَيِّنَةٍ مِنْ رَبِّهِ.

3. Through the same chain of narrators it is narrated from Mu‘allah ibn Muhammad from al-Hassan ibn Ali from Ahmad ibn ‘Umar al-Hallal who has said that he asked Imam abu al-Hassan (a.s.) about the meaning of the following verse of the holy Quran: “Should they be compared with those whose Lord has given them a guidance which is testified by a witness from among their own people . .” (11:17) The Imam (a.s.) said, “Amir al-Mu’minin Ali (a.s.) testified to support the holy Prophet (s.a.) and the holy Prophet received supporting evidence from his Lord.”

Al-Kāfi - Volume 1, The Imams (a.s.) are witness for Allah, the Most Holy, the Most High, over His creature, Hadith #3

4ـ عَلِيُّ بْنُ إِبْرَاهِيمَ عَنْ أَبِيهِ عَنْ مُحَمَّدِ بْنِ أَبِي عُمَيْرٍ عَنِ ابْنِ أُذَيْنَةَ عَنْ بُرَيْدٍ الْعِجْلِيِّ قَالَ قُلْتُ لابي جعفر (عَلَيْهِ السَّلام) قَوْلَ الله تَبَارَكَ وَتَعَالَى وَكَذلِكَ جَعَلْناكُمْ أُمَّةً وَسَطاً لِتَكُونُوا شُهَداءَ عَلَى النَّاسِ وَيَكُونَ الرَّسُولُ عَلَيْكُمْ شَهِيداً قَالَ نَحْنُ الامَّةُ الْوَسَطُ وَنَحْنُ شُهَدَاءُ الله تَبَارَكَ وَتَعَالَى عَلَى خَلْقِهِ وَحُجَجُهُ فِي أَرْضِهِ قُلْتُ قَوْلَهُ تَعَالَى يا أَيُّهَا الَّذِينَ آمَنُوا ارْكَعُوا وَاسْجُدُوا وَاعْبُدُوا رَبَّكُمْ وَافْعَلُوا الْخَيْرَ لَعَلَّكُمْ تُفْلِحُونَ وَجاهِدُوا فِي الله حَقَّ جِهادِهِ هُوَ اجْتَباكُمْ قَالَ إِيَّانَا عَنَى وَنَحْنُ الْمُجْتَبَوْنَ وَلَمْ يَجْعَلِ الله تَبَارَكَ وَتَعَالَى فِي الدِّينِ مِنْ حَرَجٍ فَالْحَرَجُ أَشَدُّ مِنَ الضِّيقِ مِلَّةَ أَبِيكُمْ إِبْراهِيمَ إِيَّانَا عَنَى خَاصَّةً وَسَمَّاكُمُ الْمُسْلِمِينَ الله سَمَّانَا الْمُسْلِمِينَ مِنْ قَبْلُ فِي الْكُتُبِ الَّتِي مَضَتْ وَفِي هَذَا الْقُرْآنِ لِيَكُونَ الرَّسُولُ شَهِيداً عَلَيْكُمْ وَتَكُونُوا شُهَداءَ عَلَى النَّاسِ فَرَسُولُ الله (صَلَّى اللهُ عَلَيْهِ وَآلِه) الشَّهِيدُ عَلَيْنَا بِمَا بَلَّغَنَا عَنِ الله تَبَارَكَ وَتَعَالَى وَنَحْنُ الشُّهَدَاءُ عَلَى النَّاسِ فَمَنْ صَدَّقَ يَوْمَ الْقِيَامَةِ صَدَّقْنَاهُ وَمَنْ كَذَّبَ كَذَّبْنَاهُ.

4. Ali ibn Ibrahim has narrated from his father from Muhammad Ibn Abi ‘Umayr from ibn ’dhayna from Yazid al-‘Ijli who has said that he asked Imam abu Ja’far (a.s.) about the meaning of the following verse of the Holy Quran. “We have made you a moderate/intermediate/middle course so that you could be a witness for all people and the Prophet (a witness) an witness for you. . .” (2:143) The Imam (a.s.) said, “We are the moderate/intermediate/middle course and we are the witness for Allah, the Most Holy, the Most High, over the activities of His creatures and possess His authority on earth.” I then asked about the meaning of the following verse of the Holy Quran that says, “Believers, worship your Lord, bow down and prostrate yourselves before Him and do virtuous deeds so that perhaps you will have everlasting happiness. (22:77) Strive steadfastly for the Cause of God. He has chosen you . Believers, worship your Lord, bow down and prostrate yourselves before Him and do virtuous deeds so that perhaps you will have everlasting happiness. (22:77) Strive steadfastly for the Cause of God. He has chosen you but has not imposed on you hardship in your religion, the noble religion of your father, Abraham. God named you Muslims before and in this Book, so that the Messenger will witness (your actions) and you will be the witness over mankind. The noble religion also is a reference to us. Allah has called us as Muslims in the heaven books that were revealed before and in this holy book (the Holy Quran) The Holy Prophet (s.a.) has testified in our favor by conveying the message of Allah, the Most Holy, the Most High. We bear witness to the activities and on the Day of Judgment certify the faith of those who have acknowledged our Divine authority and reject those who have rejected our Divine authority.”

Al-Kāfi - Volume 1, The Imams (a.s.) are witness for Allah, the Most Holy, the Most High, over His creature, Hadith #4

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
وَكَذَٰلِكَ أَوْحَيْنَا إِلَيْكَ رُوحًا مِنْ أَمْرِنَا ۚ مَا كُنْتَ تَدْرِي مَا الْكِتَابُ وَلَا الْإِيمَانُ وَلَٰكِنْ جَعَلْنَاهُ نُورًا نَهْدِي بِهِ مَنْ نَشَاءُ مِنْ عِبَادِنَا ۚ وَإِنَّكَ لَتَهْدِي إِلَىٰ صِرَاطٍ مُسْتَقِيمٍ | Thus have We inspired to to you a Spirit of Our command. You did not know what the Book is, nor what is faith; but We made it a light that We may guide by its means whomever We wish of Our servants. Indeed, you guide to a straight path, | Ash-Shura : 52

2ـ مُحَمَّدُ بْنُ يَحْيَى عَنْ مُحَمَّدِ بْنِ الْحُسَيْنِ عَنْ عَلِيِّ بْنِ أَسْبَاطٍ عَنْ أَسْبَاطِ بْنِ سَالِمٍ قَالَ سَأَلَهُ رَجُلٌ مِنْ أَهْلِ هِيتَ وَأَنَا حَاضِرٌ عَنْ قَوْلِ الله عَزَّ وَجَلَّ وَكَذلِكَ أَوْحَيْنا إِلَيْكَ رُوحاً مِنْ أَمْرِنا فَقَالَ مُنْذُ أَنْزَلَ الله عَزَّ وَجَلَّ ذَلِكَ الرُّوحَ عَلَى مُحَمَّدٍ (صَلَّى اللهُ عَلَيْهِ وَآلِه) مَا صَعِدَ إِلَى السَّمَاءِ وَإِنَّهُ لَفِينَا.

2. Muhammad ibn Yahya has narrated from Muhammad ibn al-Husayn from Ali ibn Asbat from Asbat ibn Salim who has said the following. “Once a man from Hayt (a town in Iraq) asked abu ‘Abdallah (a.s.), -when I was present also-, about the words of Allah, the Most Holy, the Most High. “Thus, We have revealed a Spirit to you, (Muhammad), by Our command. Before, you did not even know what a Book or Faith was, . .” (42:52) The Imam (a.s.) said, “From the day Allah, the Most Holy, the Most High, sent that Spirit to Muhammad (s.a.) it did not ever since ascent and it is present with us.”

Al-Kāfi - Volume 1, The Spirit with which the Imams (a.s.) are Protected, Hadith #2
3ـ عَلِيُّ بْنُ إِبْرَاهِيمَ عَنْ مُحَمَّدِ بْنِ عِيسَى عَنْ يُونُسَ عَنِ ابْنِ مُسْكَانَ عَنْ أَبِي بَصِيرٍ قَالَ سَأَلْتُ أَبَا عَبْدِ الله (عَلَيْهِ السَّلام) عَنْ قَوْلِ الله عَزَّ وَجَلَّ يَسْئَلُونَكَ عَنِ الرُّوحِ قُلِ الرُّوحُ مِنْ أَمْرِ رَبِّي قَالَ خَلْقٌ أَعْظَمُ مِنْ جَبْرَئِيلَ وَمِيكَائِيلَ كَانَ مَعَ رَسُولِ الله (صَلَّى اللهُ عَلَيْهِ وَآلِه) وَهُوَ مَعَ الائِمَّةِ وَهُوَ مِنَ الْمَلَكُوتِ.

3. Ali ibn Ibrahim has narrated from Muhammad ibn ‘Isa from Yunus from ibn Muskan from abu Basir who has said the following. “I asked abu ‘Abdallah (a.s.) about the words of Allah, the Most Holy, the Most High. “They ask you about the Spirit. Say, “The Spirit comes by the command of my Lord. . .” (17:85). The Imam (a.s.) said, “It is a creature greater than Jibril and Mika’il. It was with the Messenger of Allah and it is present with the Imams and it is from the spiritual kingdom/realm.”

Al-Kāfi - Volume 1, The Spirit with which the Imams (a.s.) are Protected, Hadith #3

1ـ عِدَّةٌ مِنْ أَصْحَابِنَا عَنْ أَحْمَدَ بْنِ مُحَمَّدٍ عَنِ الْحُسَيْنِ بْنِ سَعِيدٍ عَنِ النَّضْرِ بْنِ سُوَيْدٍ عَنْ يَحْيَى الْحَلَبِيِّ عَنْ أَبِي الصَّبَّاحِ الْكِنَانِيِّ عَنْ أَبِي بَصِيرٍ قَالَ سَأَلْتُ أَبَا عَبْدِ الله (عَلَيْهِ السَّلام) عَنْ قَوْلِ الله تَبَارَكَ وَتَعَالَى وَكَذلِكَ أَوْحَيْنا إِلَيْكَ رُوحاً مِنْ أَمْرِنا ما كُنْتَ تَدْرِي مَا الْكِتابُ وَلا الايمانُ قَالَ خَلْقٌ مِنْ خَلْقِ الله عَزَّ وَجَلَّ أَعْظَمُ مِنْ جَبْرَئِيلَ وَمِيكَائِيلَ كَانَ مَعَ رَسُولِ الله (صَلَّى اللهُ عَلَيْهِ وَآلِه) يُخْبِرُهُ وَيُسَدِّدُهُ وَهُوَ مَعَ الائِمَّةِ مِنْ بَعْدِهِ.

1. A number of our people has narrated from Ahmad ibn Muhammad from al-Husayn ibn Sa‘id from al-Nadr ibn Suwayd from Yahya al-Halabi from abu ’al-Sabah al-Kinani from abu Basir who has said the following. “I asked abu ‘Abdallah (a.s.) about the words of Allah, the Most Holy, the Most High. “Thus, We have revealed a Spirit to you, (Muhammad), by Our command. Before, you did not even know what a Book or Faith was, . .” (42:52) The Imam (a.s.) said, “He is a creature of the creatures of Allah, the Most Holy, the Most High greater than Jibril and Mika’il. It was with the Messenger of Allah to give him news and protected him and it is with the Imams after the Messenger of Allah.”

Al-Kāfi - Volume 1, The Spirit with which the Imams (a.s.) are Protected, Hadith #1

firedragon

Veteran Member
I am aiming to show that Muhammad was not the last prophet of God to Muslims, not more than that. Of course many of you know that I have a particular prophet in mind, but I will not seek to prove that that prophet is the next prophet of God to Muslims. I carefully gleaned the following from a Moojan Momen book. The Qur'an quotes, some of the reasoning behind presenting these are his, and I carefully checked out if what he was presenting was valid or a stretch. As this is in General Religious Debates anyone can join in, but I encourage Muslims to do so.

40. Muhammad is not
The father of any
Of your men, but (he is)
The Apostle of God,
And the Seal of the Prophets:
And God has full knowledge
Of all things.
Muhammad , "The Holy Qur-an", 33.40

I will not dispute the meaning of this verse at first, we can argue that along the way, but start with this verse from the Qur'an:

Then is it only a part of the
Book That ye believe in,
And do ye reject the rest?
Muhammad , "The Holy Qur-an", 2.85

This portion of that verse says to me that we need to consider the whole of the Qur'an in order to come to a logical conclusion.

34. To every People is a term. Appointed: when their term Is reached, not an hour Can they cause delay, Nor (an hour) can they Advance (it in anticipation).

35. O ye Children of Adam! Whenever there come to you Apostles from amongst you, Rehearsing My Signs unto you, Those who are righteous And mend (their lives), — On them shall be no fear Nor shall they grieve.
Muhammad , "The Holy Qur-an", 7.34

The original Arabic translated as people is I opine is a religious community. Apostles rehearsing signs can also be translated as Messengers. This translation is from Yusuf Ali.

Also in the Qur'an it is stated;

47. To every people (was sent)
An Apostle: when their Apostle
Comes (before them), the matter
Will be judged between them
With justice, and they
Will not be wronged.
Muhammad , "The Holy Qur-an", 10.47

Also translated by Yusuf Ali. All these passage are translated by Yusuf Ali. What this partially establishes is the “people” means “religious community”, and “Apostle” means “Messenger”. It also says that in the past one of these Messengers was sent to every “religious community” in the world. The reference to “the matter will be judged between them with justice, and they will not be wronged.” means to me that the religious community this Messenger comes to will be judged by their response to this Messenger in a just way.

Also notice this verse:

67. To every People have We
Appointed rites and ceremonies
Which they must follow:
Muhammad , "The Holy Qur-an", 22.67

What else but a religious community would have appointed rites and ceremonies? So people translated by Yusuf Ali means religious community. So to return back to the original verses:

34. To every People is a term Appointed: when their term Is reached, not an hour Can they cause delay, Nor (an hour) can they Advance (it in anticipation).

35. O ye Children of Adam! Whenever there come to you Apostles from amongst you, Rehearsing My Signs unto you, Those who are righteous And mend (their lives), — On them shall be no fear Nor shall they grieve.

For every religious community is a term appointed with no exception. I assert that this includes the Islamic community. Also “the matter will be judged between them with justice, and they will not be wronged.” I derive from Qur'an 10:47.

I also am of the opinion that the new Messenger comes with a new holy book and a new teaching confirming part of the teachings of the Qur'an, but also abrogating part of it.

38. We did send apostles Before thee, and appointed For them wives and children: And it was never the part Of an apostle to bring a Sign Except as God permitted (Or commanded). For each period Is a Book (revealed).

39. God doth blot out Or confirm what He pleaseth: With Him is The Mother of the Book.
Muhammad , "The Holy Qur-an", 13.38

There is no limit of how many Words of God could be revealed.

27. And if all the trees
On earth were pens
And the Ocean (were ink),
With seven Oceans behind it
To add to its (supply),
Yet would not the Words
Of God be exhausted
(In the writing): for God
Is Exalted in power,
Full of Wisdom.
Muhammad , "The Holy Qur-an", 31.27

God has established a covenant that whenever a Messenger of God comes, human beings should accept that Messenger and help him:

81. Behold! God took
The Covenant of the Prophets,
Saying: “I give you
A Book and Wisdom;
Then comes to you
An Apostle, confirming
What is with you;
Do ye believe in him
And render him help.”
God said: “Do ye agree,
And take this my Covenant
As binding on you?”
They said: “We agree.”
He said: “Then bear witness,
And I am with you
Among the witnesses.”
Muhammad , "The Holy Qur-an", 3.81

The Qur'an confirms that this covenant was taken with all of the messengers, including Muhammad.

7. And remember We took
From the Prophets their
Covenant:
As (We did) from thee:
From Noah, Abraham, Moses,
And Jesus the son of Mary:
We took from them
A solemn Covenant:
Muhammad , "The Holy Qur-an", 33.7

There will always be a need for Messengers of God:

95. Say, “If there were settled,
On earth, angels walking about
In peace and quiet, We should
Certainly have sent them
Down from the heavens
An angel for an apostle.”
Muhammad , "The Holy Qur-an", 17.95
Not a single one of these verses prove that there will be a messenger after Muhammmed. Your theology is based on vague verses, allegorization of what does not suit, and concoction of new meanings misleading the ignorant of the arabic language.

How in the world did you make up the meaning of "community of believers" with the word of Ummathin in the Majroor? Very rarely do I see deception like that.

You yourself quoted verses that say very clearly "we sent messengers before you". That's explicit. But why can't you bring one explicit verse that says "we will send messengers after you"? Go on. Find one. This is the most important factor for your theology. Find one single explicit verse.

Let's see if you do.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Regarding verse 17:71, there is this hadith:

القمّي عن الباقر عليه السلام في هذه الآية قال يجيء رسول الله صلىَّ اللهُ عليه وآله وسلم في قومه وعليّ عليه السلام في قومه والحَسَن عليه السلام في قومه والحُسين عليه السلام في قومه وكلّ من ماتَ بين ظهرانيّ قوم جاؤا معه.

Al-Qummi

Al-Qummi, on the authority of Al-Baqir, peace be upon him, in this verse, said: The Messenger of God, may God’s prayers and peace be upon him and his family, will come with his people, Ali, peace be upon him, will come with his people, Al-Hasan, peace be upon him, will be with his people, Al-Hussein, peace be upon him, will be among his people, and everyone who died in the presence of a people will come with him.

Ayyashi has similar to its meaning.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Not a single one of these verses prove that there will be a messenger after Muhammmed. Your theology is based on vague verses, allegorization of what does not suit, and concoction of new meanings misleading the ignorant of the arabic language.

How in the world did you make up the meaning of "community of believers" with the word of Ummathin in the Majroor? Very rarely do I see deception like that.

You yourself quoted verses that say very clearly "we sent messengers before you". That's explicit. But why can't you bring one explicit verse that says "we will send messengers after you"? Go on. Find one. This is the most important factor for your theology. Find one single explicit verse.

Let's see if you do.
Salam

I think Quran says there will be another Messenger. However, to me Messenger /= Nabi. Not every Nabi is a Messenger and not every Messenger is a Nabi. It happens to be they are almost interchangeable because almost every Nabi has been a Messenger and almost every Messenger has been a Nabi.

I think for them to prove their case, they have to show more than that. They have to show a Nabi is going to come in the future.

Truthseeker

Non-debating member when I can help myself
What other meaning does that have?

And since you are answering for another person, can you explain how in the world the OP brings in "Every religious community" on top of it rather than just "every people" or "every nation"?

Can you explain?
All the quotes in tandem in my humble opinion shows that Ummah means a religious community. But then, you have more extensive knowledge than I do. Show me that in some instances Ummah means something other than a religious community. I am aware that Momen was trying to prove something, so this could possibly be selective. I don't know for sure, though I trust Momen. @InvestigateTruth could also weigh on this. He knows the Qur'an better than I do. Of course he is trying to prove something, also, but then so are you. I was aware of the word Ummah before this, and had the impression that Muslims saw Ummah pointed to their religious community. Words can have more than one meaning, of course.

Truthseeker

Non-debating member when I can help myself

Let's see if you do.
I just know these verses appears to point to that.

34. To every People is a term Appointed: when their term Is reached, not an hour Can they cause delay, Nor (an hour) can they Advance (it in anticipation).

Why would the Muslims be the exception? This says to every people. People here means Ummah again, which to me means a religious community. You can point to other evidence such as the Seal of the Prophets verses, and other verses or traditions that show to you that Muslims are exempt from that, and we can discuss that. I won't prove my case to you, I know already. I just want at this point to present the possibility that there will be another Messenger after Muhammad. I've got arguments from the Momen book about some of those verses that may appear to prove there will be no Messengers after Muhammad, I just haven't presented them yet. @InvestigateTruth an also weigh in on this.

firedragon

Veteran Member
All the quotes in tandem in my humble opinion shows that Ummah means a religious community.
It's absolutely wrong.

No point going further brother. It's beneath anyone who knows anything about the Qur'an or the language. So let's leave it at that. I respectfully withdraw from that discussion.

firedragon

Veteran Member
I just know these verses appears to point to that.
Let me cut and paste my comment so that you could read again and not avoid it. You cannot just say "I just know it points to that". It's like a feeling.

quoted verses that say very clearly "we sent messengers before you". That's explicit. But why can't you bring one explicit verse that says "we will send messengers after you"? Go on. Find one. This is the most important factor for your theology. Find one single explicit verse.

Repeat. Explicit verse.

You will never ever in your life be able to do that. That's why you will have to posit your feelings onto the Qur'an.

Of course the next comment will be another feeling brother. So if that is the case, let's not engage anymore on this topic. There is no point.