• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

For Torath Mosheh Jews Only: Who is Hashem?

rosends

The word "love" in English has a variety of meanings, uses and manifestations that are often not shared between people.

Compounding it by using a Hebrew word which has its own shades and subtleties and then assuming a perfect parallel between them is not going to work.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
using a Hebrew word which has its own shades and subtleties and then assuming a perfect parallel between them is not going to work.
How do you know that the parallels are being assumed? Has anyone even attempted to discuss the Hebrew word yet?

rosends

How do you know that the parallels are being assumed? Has anyone even attempted to discuss the Hebrew word yet?
The claim was that "Love is love in any language." But in any language "love" isn't always "love" so assuming (which it appears people are trying to do by discussing an English equivalent to understand the use of the Hebrew from which it is translated) that one will get any clarity in one language which might then explicate the source language is false. You wrote "When Moshe describes HaShem's love, it is easy to understand in english. The vast majority of parents can understand, and vast majority of children can understand. The language is completely irrelevant. "

Moshe would be describing it in Hebrew and you said it is easy to understand in English so you are drawing a parallel between the languages. You even say that the language is irrelevant so there must be a perfect equivalence of terminology and meaning between languages or you would say that the language issue IS relevant.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
The claim was that "Love is love in any language." But in any language "love" isn't always "love" so assuming (which it appears people are trying to do by discussing an English equivalent to understand the use of the Hebrew from which it is translated) that one will get any clarity in one language which might then explicate the source language is false. You wrote "When Moshe describes HaShem's love, it is easy to understand in english. The vast majority of parents can understand, and vast majority of children can understand. The language is completely irrelevant. "

Moshe would be describing it in Hebrew and you said it is easy to understand in English so you are drawing a parallel between the languages. You even say that the language is irrelevant so there must be a perfect equivalence of terminology and meaning between languages or you would say that the language issue IS relevant.
Is there something subtle or nuanced in the Hebrew where Moshe describes the Jewish people being carried like a child by their father? Is it something which does not easily translate into english or any language?

Same question regarding being disciplined like a child is disciplined by their father; is there something nuanced about that image which is difficult to convey in any language?

Converting a curse to blessing? That's pretty easy to understand, isn't it?

And all of this fits nicely into the Hebrew word being translated as love, doesn't it?

Further, we are commanded to love God. In the video this was expressed as well; What does Eddie want? "Love me back".

Isn't the reason the sketch is funny is because of the universal nature of love? In just a few moments, in just a few words, the audience understands what is being expressed? If love wasn't universal, then the joke would fail. Even at the end, the groping communicated the type of love in a universal manner.

So, aren't we given in the Torah adaquate qualification to know what is being expressed even though it's just a few words? Would that clarity be possible if love was not a universal concept?

rosends

Is there something subtle or nuanced in the Hebrew where Moshe describes the Jewish people being carried like a child by their father? Is it something which does not easily translate into english or any language?
I have no doubt that wherever the text says that, there is much that is subtle and nuanced. Can you show me in what verse Moshe presents that description? As to defining any biblical text, there is inevitably a loss of meaning (this happens with every translation of anything -- in the source language words and phrases carry varied meanings and the same range might not exist in the translator's choice of word or phrase).
Same question regarding being disciplined like a child is disciplined by their father; is there something nuanced about that image which is difficult to convey in any language?
One can convey an image but the biblical text is conveyed through a precise choice of words. It is the words which create the difficulty.
Converting a curse to blessing? That's pretty easy to understand, isn't it?
As a story line that can be paraphrased or as a message reliant on the cultural, linguistic and theological import of each word being used?
And all of this fits nicely into the Hebrew word being translated as love, doesn't it?
what it does is point out that the exact word in one language is ultimately untranslatable in a precise sense and we are always just settling for an interpretation mediated by the limitations of language.
Further, we are commanded to love God. In the video this was expressed as well; What does Eddie want? "Love me back".

Isn't the reason the sketch is funny is because of the universal nature of love? In just a few moments, in just a few words, the audience understands what is being expressed? If love wasn't universal, then the joke would fail. Even at the end, the groping communicated the type of love in a universal manner.
Then I fear you missed a major point of my citing the sketch. Eddie wants a particular concept of love and Joe is unclear, at least initially, what concept of love is being described (as are Tim and Gary). Just using the word does not carry enough meaning without context and explanation -- and that's between 2 native speakers.
So, aren't we given in the Torah adaquate qualification to know what is being expressed even though it's just a few words? Would that clarity be possible if love was not a universal concept?
We are given paths through which we can try to understand the range of things expressed. If you look at Rashi on Deut 6:5 you will see ways in which we are to express love for God -- do those apply to all cases where the word "love" is used?

Are we supposed to love God as a man loves a woman? As a person loves his homeland? Like a man loves a good cigar? Like we love our neighbor? Would each of these loves be expressed in the same behaviors? And yet the same word is attached.

Biblical Hebrew doesn't have a word for "like" and it has both the a-h-b and ch-b-b (and ch-b-h) based words. Clearly, the concept is not simple in any language as the emotion is not simple in any context.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
I have no doubt that wherever the text says that, there is much that is subtle and nuanced. Can you show me in what verse Moshe presents that description? As to defining any biblical text, there is inevitably a loss of meaning (this happens with every translation of anything -- in the source language words and phrases carry varied meanings and the same range might not exist in the translator's choice of word or phrase).
Deut 1:31

וּבַמִּדְבָּר אֲשֶׁר רָאִיתָ אֲשֶׁר נְשָֽׂאֲךָ יְהֹוָה אֱלֹהֶיךָ כַּֽאֲשֶׁר יִשָּׂא־אִישׁ אֶת־בְּנוֹ בְּכָל־הַדֶּרֶךְ אֲשֶׁר הֲלַכְתֶּם עַד־בֹּֽאֲכֶם עַד־הַמָּקוֹם הַזֶּֽה׃

One can convey an image but the biblical text is conveyed through a precise choice of words. It is the words which create the difficulty.
I hear you, but is that always the case?
As a story line that can be paraphrased or as a message reliant on the cultural, linguistic and theological import of each word being used?
Is it not taking something harmful and changing it to something helpful? Sure we can discuss many aspects of this, but it all leads to the same place: nurturing.
what it does is point out that the exact word in one language is ultimately untranslatable in a precise sense and we are always just settling for an interpretation mediated by the limitations of language.
So this doesn't fit nicely into the Hebrew word being translated as love? I'm still not getting it, and I'm trying very hard not to be stubborn. I understand that some things are very difficult to translate, umami for example. But love does not seem to be one of those things.
Then I fear you missed a major point of my citing the sketch. Eddie wants a particular concept of love and Joe is unclear, at least initially, what concept of love is being described (as are Tim and Gary). Just using the word does not carry enough meaning without context and explanation -- and that's between 2 native speakers.
Sure, but how much context is needed? Not much. And we're given the context... I'm repeating.
We are given paths through which we can try to understand the range of things expressed. If you look at Rashi on Deut 6:5 you will see ways in which we are to express love for God -- do those apply to all cases where the word "love" is used?
They can apply. Especially if someone speaks about a complete love, or a total love. On the other hand, this could be a special case, where this sort of love is reserved for God. It seems to me the 6:5 communicates what is possible when it comes to love.
Are we supposed to love God as a man loves a woman? As a person loves his homeland? Like a man loves a good cigar? Like we love our neighbor? Would each of these loves be expressed in the same behaviors? And yet the same word is attached.
Yes, and I'm saying that because you included the neighbor which includes love contained in restraint and respect. And hopefully I don't need to differentiate beween sex and love when it comes to man and woman. As long as all of our middot are brought to the table, I think each of these can be applied to a person's love of God.
Biblical Hebrew doesn't have a word for "like" and it has both the a-h-b and ch-b-b (and ch-b-h) based words. Clearly, the concept is not simple in any language as the emotion is not simple in any context.
:confused: What's wrong with D-M-H? Klein Dictionary, דמה ᴵ 1 I mean, this is in Gen 1?

rosends

Deut 1:31

וּבַמִּדְבָּר אֲשֶׁר רָאִיתָ אֲשֶׁר נְשָֽׂאֲךָ יְהֹוָה אֱלֹהֶיךָ כַּֽאֲשֶׁר יִשָּׂא־אִישׁ אֶת־בְּנוֹ בְּכָל־הַדֶּרֶךְ אֲשֶׁר הֲלַכְתֶּם עַד־בֹּֽאֲכֶם עַד־הַמָּקוֹם הַזֶּֽה׃
oh -- you referred to a verse about a father carrying a son. I don't see the word "father" in that verse. That is, via context a reasonable interpretation but not the only one. And it begs why that word is NOT used.
I hear you, but is that always the case?
Yes -- that's exactly the point.
Is it not taking something harmful and changing it to something helpful? Sure we can discuss many aspects of this, but it all leads to the same place: nurturing.
Help and hurt are only defined by a desired context. If you see the end as paramount then changing it is acceptable. If you don't value the end over the process then it isn't helpful.
So this doesn't fit nicely into the Hebrew word being translated as love? I'm still not getting it, and I'm trying very hard not to be stubborn. I understand that some things are very difficult to translate, umami for example. But love does not seem to be one of those things.
maybe into one person's conception of love. If the word has many meanings and many more applications, the odds that the meaning one person has will be identical to another person's is remote.

Sure, but how much context is needed? Not much.
says who? I think a lot of context is needed.
And we're given the context... I'm repeating.
you are citing text and retelling one gloss of an understanding of a biblical text.
They can apply. Especially if someone speaks about a complete love, or a total love. On the other hand, this could be a special case, where this sort of love is reserved for God. It seems to me the 6:5 communicates what is possible when it comes to love.
So in the same way I should die for God whom I love, I should die for a good bottle of wine, which I also love? No, the expressions don't apply.

Yes, and I'm saying that because you included the neighbor which includes love contained in restraint and respect. And hopefully I don't need to differentiate beween sex and love when it comes to man and woman. As long as all of our middot are brought to the table, I think each of these can be applied to a person's love of God.

Yes, I included neighbor. I also included a cigar IIRC. But that's the point -- you DO have to differentiate because there are a lot of shades of love, each defined discretely.
:confused: What's wrong with D-M-H? Klein Dictionary, דמה ᴵ 1 I mean, this is in Gen 1?
please tell me that the little blue emoji indicates that this is a joke.

Ehav4Ever

I think that is a good question. And perhaps I've been misunderstanding what @Ehav4Ever has been saying about Hashem, but his description sounds more as if Hashem's behavior toward humankind is perfunctory. And kind of like I had said previously about being more like a ginormous Artificial Intelligence, but not artificial.

Also, consider the following. There are some Jews who challenge the idea of Hashem as "loving" Israel/Jews in the following way.

If Hashem does love, like a human, why did he allow the holocaust to happen?

The thinking here is that all "rational" humans who love their children would never a) hurt (in the extreme form) them on purpose or b) allow them to be hurt on purpose, irregardless of their actions. Thus, this is a claim that is made on one end of the spectrum. It posits a more finate reality where life and death are very much extremes opposed to each. It also posites that if a "god" is like a human then said "god" must function the way that the most rational humans do.​

Further, the reality is that any answer given in the range of human human emotions leads right into a philosophical debate about what rational humans do and don't do and how a "god" would have to act in the way that rational humans would. I.e. the human experience is imposed on said "god."

There is a particular type of Torath Mosheh response to this from the angle I come from, but it is also a difficult one and is just as philosophical.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
oh -- you referred to a verse about a father carrying a son. I don't see the word "father" in that verse. That is, via context a reasonable interpretation but not the only one. And it begs why that word is NOT used.
It does say "his" son, not "a" son, right? And if so, the "his" is refering back to God?
Yes -- that's exactly the point.
What is unclear about the wording in Hebrew of the verse we're discussing? I can understand that there's multiple interpretations, but, in this case, where is the subtle nuance that is irretrievable in english?
Help and hurt are only defined by a desired context. If you see the end as paramount then changing it is acceptable. If you don't value the end over the process then it isn't helpful.
So, Moshe says God changed a curse to a blessing because he loved them, and this could be hurtful not helpful? And this is a result of my own misunderstanding or lack of experience of the hebrew words in the verse?
says who? I think a lot of context is needed.
The entire video is 6 minutes long.
you are citing text and retelling one gloss of an understanding of a biblical text.
Would you please provide another understanding of the verses we're discussing where the Hebrew words do not match up neatly with english equivalents?
So in the same way I should die for God whom I love, I should die for a good bottle of wine, which I also love? No, the expressions don't apply.
There's so much i could say about this. But I'll just say this: if a person loves wine, and they drink themself to death, in their last moments, they probably will still love wine even though it is the cause of their death.
Yes, I included neighbor. I also included a cigar IIRC. But that's the point -- you DO have to differentiate because there are a lot of shades of love, each defined discretely.
You don't think it's OK to experience pleasure with God in the same way a person enjoys a cigar? If not, why not? I don't like cigars, btw. But I like tea, so I can kind of relate. And if we're talking about a man/woman love, that's about caring for the other person, doing what they like, and that's a wonderful reason to complete the commandments.
please tell me that the little blue emoji indicates that this is a joke.
No. I am genuinely confused. I put a link to kleins definition. I double checked. it says "like. resemble" multiple times. Gen 1:26 is a famous verse.

וַיֹּאמֶר אֱלֹהִים נַֽעֲשֶׂה אָדָם בְּצַלְמֵנוּ כִּדְמוּתֵנוּ וְיִרְדּוּ בִדְגַת הַיָּם וּבְעוֹף הַשָּׁמַיִם וּבַבְּהֵמָה וּבְכָל־הָאָרֶץ וּבְכָל־הָרֶמֶשׂ הָֽרֹמֵשׂ עַל־הָאָֽרֶץ׃
You said that there is no word for "like" in biblical Hebrew. That is confusing to me because according to klien, d-m-h is exactly that. I feel like I know what Gen 1:26 means, and it has the d-m-h root represented there. So, even if I'm embarrassing myself, I would very much appreciate some help understanding how I have botched this. Thank you,

Ehav4Ever

People who hurt themseves and others while at the same time claiming to love the ones they are hurting sound like sick demented people. Do I really need to explicitly omit those types of people when discussing what love means to the vast majority of people?

The fact that someone can define in English "love" as things that appear to contradict another person's definition means that love does not mean the same thing to any group of people. There are some people who think their view is the majority view on something and it can easily not be. Also, because humans can change the definitions of their languages and utterances on a whim the definitions can also change. And yes because langauges evolve sometimes in way that contradict previous generational logic everything has to be considered in the etymological history of a word.

Thus, a person who hurts themselves and others and claims to do so out of love is a valid point when claiming that love means love in every language.

For example:

Ehav4Ever

So, it's almost as if the Torath Moshe Jews/Orthodox Jews are technically functioning on a level of... well, to say it nicely, on a level of 'untruth' when it comes to their relationship and interactions with Hashem.

I don't know what an "untruth" is. If something took place in history and is the reality then a person working with that is working through the factual truths.

Further to my point of people being a better example of A.I. or the computer and Hashem being the source of the hardward and software of humanity see the below.

AI and the Science of Consciousness: Exploring the Physical and Metaphysical Frontiers

rosends

It does say "his" son, not "a" son, right? And if so, the "his" is refering back to God?
The fact that the possessive can be associated with either of 2 characters begs interpretation which pure translation would not convey. Using the word "father" is similarly interpretation as the Hebrew does not read that way so even if the interpretation is reasonable, the question of word choice (not using the actual word for "father") has to be considered. If one were to study just your translation (using "father"), one would be unaware of that. This just proves that the Hebrew is not fully explored in the English version.
What is unclear about the wording in Hebrew of the verse we're discussing? I can understand that there's multiple interpretations, but, in this case, where is the subtle nuance that is irretrievable in english?
As stated on Deut 1:31, there are subtleties regarding the possessive and the Hebrew word choice. There are also all sorts of discussions about the meaning and connotations of the word "ish" -- because it is built out of the word for fire, combined with a letter representing God, it imports more than just a sterile "human" or "man" but if one only sees the English, one misses that,
So, Moshe says God changed a curse to a blessing because he loved them, and this could be hurtful not helpful? And this is a result of my own misunderstanding or lack of experience of the hebrew words in the verse?
Saying anything in English and understanding "curse," "blessing" and "change" (let alone "love") as if the human understanding applies to the divine action in any real sense is hurtful and not helpful if the goal is understanding the original words and all they bring forth. I think this is a result of your being focused on the forest when a textual discussion of Hebrew bible is equally (at least) about the trees.
The entire video is 6 minutes long.
And there is a lot going on in it regarding multiple understandings of what one might think of as a universal and shared word.
Would you please provide another understanding of the verses we're discussing where the Hebrew words do not match up neatly with english equivalents?
Do you have a specific verse in mind? I could discuss how "curse" and "blessing" are not identical with their English counterparts. It would be rare, indeed, for a word to match up neatly, unless one were to eliminate all the other potential meanings and uses of both the Hebrew and English. Imagine a venn diagram. While there might be overlap, there are areas which do not overlap. Unless we excise them, we will see uncertainty.

There's so much i could say about this. But I'll just say this: if a person loves wine, and they drink themself to death, in their last moments, they probably will still love wine even though it is the cause of their death.
But if the love of God is manifested through being willing to die rather than acknowledge any other God, then you think it is reasonable to die rather than acknowledge that any other wine exists? Or is worthy of being "loved"? How we show the degree and meaning of our love is highly variable because love is highly variable.
You don't think it's OK to experience pleasure with God in the same way a person enjoys a cigar? If not, why not? I don't like cigars, btw. But I like tea, so I can kind of relate. And if we're talking about a man/woman love, that's about caring for the other person, doing what they like, and that's a wonderful reason to complete the commandments.
The fact that the love of a man for a spouse and the love of a cigar both have small overlapping sections, and separate and overlapping sections with a "love" of God is nice but just shows that there are many areas that do not coincide. My pleasure with a cigar should be extremely different from my pleasure with a woman, God or Connecticut. Lighting Connecticut on fire is frowned upon.
No. I am genuinely confused. I put a link to kleins definition. I double checked. it says "like. resemble" multiple times. Gen 1:26 is a famous verse.

וַיֹּאמֶר אֱלֹהִים נַֽעֲשֶׂה אָדָם בְּצַלְמֵנוּ כִּדְמוּתֵנוּ וְיִרְדּוּ בִדְגַת הַיָּם וּבְעוֹף הַשָּׁמַיִם וּבַבְּהֵמָה וּבְכָל־הָאָרֶץ וּבְכָל־הָרֶמֶשׂ הָֽרֹמֵשׂ עַל־הָאָֽרֶץ׃
You said that there is no word for "like" in biblical Hebrew. That is confusing to me because according to klien, d-m-h is exactly that. I feel like I know what Gen 1:26 means, and it has the d-m-h root represented there. So, even if I'm embarrassing myself, I would very much appreciate some help understanding how I have botched this. Thank you,
There is no LIKE in biblical Hebrew. I made that while we were discussing the a-h-b root and the variations of meanings for "love" so my statement was in contrast with the "love" word. I then gave other biblical roots that deal with types of affection. Clearly, I was not discussing the word "like" in its appearance as an adjective or preposition relating to similarity, but in its use in English as an emotion indicating a lesser level of affection. In Hebrew, similarity is expressed in many ways (mi KA mocha). Answering a point about the wrong use of the word just shows that words have many uses and even when we speak the same language, there is much room for misinterpretation if one ignores context.

Ehav4Ever

That's your own personal preference/ debate tactic, attempting to shut down opposition without engaging the issue. When Moshe describes HaShem's love, it is easy to understand in english. The vast majority of parents can understand, and vast majority of children can understand. The language is completely irrelevant. Haven't you heard the expression, love is the universal language? It's true!

This isn't a debate. Both points exist, which I acknowledged. Each one is a mashal on something that no human can quantify in a human way. Besides, I am not shutting anything down. You have not been stopped in posting your point of view and I have never denied that what you posted, in Hebrew, exists. Further, I even posted a video early on of a rabbi who gave both positions.

Yet, English is not the language of the Tanakh and it is not the langauge of Hazal. English words mean what they mean at the behest of those who define what words mean in English. Emotions, in English, are connected to physiology due to the definitions set in the English language.

Language is not irrevalent if it were there would be no need to read a Torah scroll in Hebrew, needless to say w/o niqudot and w/o Ta'amim. There would be no need to preserve the Hebrew language at all. Hazal shoudl have just written in Greek and left the Hebrew language at the waste bin. In fact, if language is irrelevant than every interpetation that missionaries bring in Greek is also correct since most of their problems start at the langauge of the Tanakh.

Ehav4Ever

I find it a bit sad that Hashem has to use fear, rage, and emotion concepts in order for the Jews to understand him and to believe in him.

Just to correct you a bit here. Torah based Jews don't "beleive" in Hashem in the way you are mentioning. Torah based Jews know of Hashem's existance and available reality based on how the Torah was transmitted to our ancestors at Mount Sinai. (Mass revelation) Once that was done it is no longer a matter of us needing something to beleive.

It is like saying that I don't beleive in the 1985 Baseball World Series where the Kansas City Royals won. I know it is a fact becuase I around to witness it for myself. In 1,000 years my descendants and the descandants of everyone who experienced it know about it that is because all of us who experienced passed on that inforamtion of what we witnessed.

Hashem doesn't use, as you stated, fear, rage, and emotion concepts in order for the Jews to understand him and to believe in him. The stories in the Torah about human realities are there to gives Jews the ability to analyze past realities and our current realities to progress in a particular path. For most of humanity stories convey powerful messages the resonate throughout generations. Telling a story often envokes natural emotions and consideration in ways that lists often do not. This is why story telling is a popular and common human trait found in most human cultures.

Ehav4Ever

Just to push the point that the Rambam was not the first nor was he alone in a number of things he wrote, here is a summary of a number of other views.

upload_2023-3-1_16-52-31.png

upload_2023-3-1_16-52-53.png

upload_2023-3-1_16-54-27.png

upload_2023-3-1_16-55-30.png

Attachments

• upload_2023-3-1_16-53-31.png
    upload_2023-3-1_16-53-31.png
    83.4 KB · Views: 1

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
The fact that the possessive can be associated with either of 2 characters begs interpretation which pure translation would not convey. Using the word "father" is similarly interpretation as the Hebrew does not read that way so even if the interpretation is reasonable, the question of word choice (not using the actual word for "father") has to be considered. If one were to study just your translation (using "father"), one would be unaware of that. This just proves that the Hebrew is not fully explored in the English version.
Are there 2 characters? The "his son" refers back to the "ish". The "ish" refers back to God. Isn't God the only subject?
As stated on Deut 1:31, there are subtleties regarding the possessive and the Hebrew word choice. There are also all sorts of discussions about the meaning and connotations of the word "ish" -- because it is built out of the word for fire, combined with a letter representing God, it imports more than just a sterile "human" or "man" but if one only sees the English, one misses that,
Agreed. And I considered that. But what I'm trying to figure out is: is this specific verse communicating something complex, or is it communicating something simple?

I understand there are some teachings which are complicated, but is this one of them? Are all teachings from the Torah complicated? Does the notion of "ish" as more than a man fit here? Is "ish" always supposed to connote something more than a man? If not, is there anything else about this verse which would make it into something more complicated than it actually appears to be on the surface?
Saying anything in English and understanding "curse," "blessing" and "change" (let alone "love") as if the human understanding applies to the divine action in any real sense is hurtful and not helpful if the goal is understanding the original words and all they bring forth. I think this is a result of your being focused on the forest when a textual discussion of Hebrew bible is equally (at least) about the trees.
I hear you. And yet pushing God out into nethermost regions completely distant and removed from us is not how Moshe describes the relationship God has chosen to have with us. ( I'm going to bring a few quotes. Not because I think you need them, but for others who may be reading this. )

Deut 4:4

וְאַתֶּם הַדְּבֵקִים בַּֽיהֹוָה אֱלֹֽהֵיכֶם חַיִּים כֻּלְּכֶם הַיּֽוֹם׃
Sanhedrin 64a:11-12

אתם בית ישראל אינן כן (במדבר כה, ה) הנצמדים לבעל פעור כצמיד פתיל (דברים ד, ד) ואתם הדבקים בה' אלהיכם כשתי תמרות הדבוקות זו בזו

במתניתא תנא הנצמדים לבעל פעור כצמיד ע"י אשה ואתם הדבקים בה' אלהיכם דבוקים ממש
I can appreciate that it's dangerous/hurtful to attempt to humanize God, and that has lead many down a wrong path. But it's equally dangerous/hurtful to reinterpret the Torah reducing God into a Greek "intelligence".

Focusing just on the issue of language, it's equally dangerous/hurtful to claim, as Rambam does, "ואל יטעך מה שבא ב׳אבות׳ מזכרון דבר האלוה להם והראותו אליהם". That is just 1 baby step away from saying, "Don't be mistaken that our ancestors were slaves in Egypt". "Don't be mistaken that the Torah was written by Moses". So, according to Rambam the akeidah was based on a hunch? The whole system falls apart if we cannot trust that what Moshe is teaching is true.

What I'm trying to say is, this is a "forest-focused" issue. Is it teaching that God is so distant and so removed and impossible for us to grasp/cleave-to? I vote no. And the sages of the Talmud seem to agree. There are a few verses that describe God that way, later prophets, not Moshe. And then there's Bilaam speaking to Balak which isn't describing our relationship with God. By my count there's 3 verses that have been brought to try to push God out and away and convert the Torah into agreement with greek philosophy. Then there's the entire remainder of the Torah which describes something different. The discussion we're having about love is just one example of many examples where the Torah is describing God, the creator of everything, choosing to have a relationship with us that is somehow relatable.
And there is a lot going on in it regarding multiple understandings of what one might think of as a universal and shared word.
OK. So, if in english "love" is understood in a number of ways with a number of manifestations. And in Hebrew "love" is understood in a number of ways with a number of manifestations. And in virtually any culture anywhere "love" is understood in a number of ways and a number of manifestations. Doesn't this indicate that "love" is a universal concept?

Just because it's complicated and relies on context, doesn't mean it's different. If it's complicated and relies on context everywhere by everyone regardless of the spoken language, then, it's the same thing?
Do you have a specific verse in mind? I could discuss how "curse" and "blessing" are not identical with their English counterparts. It would be rare, indeed, for a word to match up neatly, unless one were to eliminate all the other potential meanings and uses of both the Hebrew and English. Imagine a venn diagram. While there might be overlap, there are areas which do not overlap. Unless we excise them, we will see uncertainty.
Yes, blessing and curse are complicated, but the idea of changing a curse into a blessing because of love is simple, isn't it? Regarding a specific verse, though, I was asking about Deut 1:31. Yes, I inserted the word "father" there in error. That was my mistake. But it does say "his son", and I'm kind of stuck on that. I feel like this one verse is a good example of a simple idea which is easily understood by virtually anyone regardless of the language that they're speaking. So, I'm asking if there is another interpretation of this verse, Deut 1:31, that does not neatly line up with the english translation? And yes, I think we can "excise" the connotation of "ish" as something other than a human man based on "b'noh" "his son".
But if the love of God is manifested through being willing to die rather than acknowledge any other God, then you think it is reasonable to die rather than acknowledge that any other wine exists? Or is worthy of being "loved"? How we show the degree and meaning of our love is highly variable because love is highly variable.
If it's highly variable in virtually all languages and cultures, and in the same ways, then it's still universal and the language used becomes irrelevant.

And regarding martyrdom, I think that's a special case. There's a lot going on in the case of martyrdom. But I don't think the commandment is saying that our love should trigger death. I also don't see Rashi, nor the sifrei, nor the Talmud making this direct connection if we look at the Hebrew of what they're saying connected to Deut 6:5. If I'm wrong, please direct me to Hebrew where it is explicitly stated this way.

I'm reading all of these saying the same thing I said about wine. If a person loves wine, they will still love wine even if the wine kills them. If at the end, they regret the wine, that's when they stop loving wine. Rashi says "with all your soul" - even if it's taken. In other words, even if God kills you, you're still commanded to love God. It doesn't say love God to the point of martyrdom. Am I mistranslating what he said?
The fact that the love of a man for a spouse and the love of a cigar both have small overlapping sections, and separate and overlapping sections with a "love" of God is nice but just shows that there are many areas that do not coincide. My pleasure with a cigar should be extremely different from my pleasure with a woman, God or Connecticut. Lighting Connecticut on fire is frowned upon.
If the overlap is the same in most languages and cultures, then it's still lanuage independent. Just because the concept is fluid, doesn't make it unique to one specific language and culture. Do we agree on this?
There is no LIKE in biblical Hebrew. I made that while we were discussing the a-h-b root and the variations of meanings for "love" so my statement was in contrast with the "love" word. I then gave other biblical roots that deal with types of affection. Clearly, I was not discussing the word "like" in its appearance as an adjective or preposition relating to similarity, but in its use in English as an emotion indicating a lesser level of affection. In Hebrew, similarity is expressed in many ways (mi KA mocha). Answering a point about the wrong use of the word just shows that words have many uses and even when we speak the same language, there is much room for misinterpretation if one ignores context.
Ah. Thank you so much for explaining that. Clearly I was confused.

Is there a word, a single word for "like" in biblical Hebrew? What about "חֵן"? "Favor"? Isn't this having a positive opinion about someone or something but doesn't extend beyond that? In context it seems to be a one-to-one equivalence, "חֵן" = "like"? There's also the word for friend/companion based on "רעה". Then there's the somewhat poetic two-word phrase "טוֹב בְּעֵינֵי" with its opposite "רָעָה בְּעֵינֵי". Isn't this how "like" is communicated in biblical Hebrew?

Last edited:

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
The fact that someone can define in English "love" as things that appear to contradict another person's definition means that love does not mean the same thing to any group of people. There are some people who think their view is the majority view on something and it can easily not be. Also, because humans can change the definitions of their languages and utterances on a whim the definitions can also change. And yes because langauges evolve sometimes in way that contradict previous generational logic everything has to be considered in the etymological history of a word.

Thus, a person who hurts themselves and others and claims to do so out of love is a valid point when claiming that love means love in every language.

For example:

And yet, no one in the video says, "I don't know what love is". ;)

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
This isn't a debate. Both points exist, which I acknowledged. Each one is a mashal on something that no human can quantify in a human way. Besides, I am not shutting anything down. You have not been stopped in posting your point of view and I have never denied that what you posted, in Hebrew, exists. Further, I even posted a video early on of a rabbi who gave both positions.

Yet, English is not the language of the Tanakh and it is not the langauge of Hazal. English words mean what they mean at the behest of those who define what words mean in English. Emotions, in English, are connected to physiology due to the definitions set in the English language.

Language is not irrevalent if it were there would be no need to read a Torah scroll in Hebrew, needless to say w/o niqudot and w/o Ta'amim. There would be no need to preserve the Hebrew language at all. Hazal shoudl have just written in Greek and left the Hebrew language at the waste bin. In fact, if language is irrelevant than every interpetation that missionaries bring in Greek is also correct since most of their problems start at the langauge of the Tanakh.
I haven't said to throw out the Hebrew text and replace it.

Ehav4Ever

And yet, no one in the video says, "I don't know what love is". ;)

Defining it in different ways based on langauge and culture means that it doesn't share a universal meaning unless someone does the work to unify the concept for everyone. Even then, they don't define their historical chosen words the same. No one said they don't have a word. The definitions of what each word means is different. Thus, what each group means with their word is not the same everywhere you go.