• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

For Torath Mosheh Jews Only: Who is Hashem?

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Just to push the point that the Rambam was not the first nor was he alone in a number of things he wrote, here is a summary of a number of other views.

View attachment 72266

View attachment 72267

View attachment 72269

View attachment 72270

The issue isn't that Rambam is the only one, it's that all of the sources you have brought are influenced by a Greek god concept, and that's not Torath Mosheh. Rambam begins with a greek god concept then reinterprets the Torah based on this. That is no different than someone starting with a Jesus god concept and reinterpreting the Torah based on that.

The quote from Malbim clarifies what is meant by the verse in Isaiah. But it really has no connection at all to the elevation of intelligence as the highest virtue, nor to the description of HaShem as an "intelligence" lacking emotions, or being uneffected by human actions, or that the words of Torah don't mean what they say. If you would like to compare the two, please bring a conclusion that Rambam makes about HaShem, and a conclusion that Malbim makes about HaShem, and let's compare them side-by-side.

Regarding Bchay Ben Yosef, just like Rambam, just the Saadia Gaon, he is borrowing from greek philosophy for his god concept. He could be 100% correct, Rambam could be 100% correct. But calling it "Torath Mosheh" is misleading at best.

BAHYA BEN JOSEPH IBN PAḲUDA - JewishEncyclopedia.com

Screenshot_20230302_100321.jpg

Screenshot_20230302_101706.jpg

Lastly, the video... I cannot follow conversational Hebrew. But from what I gather, it's a class about Rambam. I don't hear any other Jewish thinkers being discussed. If there is a point in the video where others are being discussed who *are not* influenced by greek philosophers, please indicate where that is in the video.

Last edited:

rosends

Are there 2 characters? The "his son" refers back to the "ish". The "ish" refers back to God. Isn't God the only subject?
Not exactly -- God is the subject and then an analogy is presented but then it isn't clear if the "his son" refers to the man's son (in the way a man would carry his (own) son) or back to God (in the way a man would carry God's son (any human being)). Any conclusion is an interpretation, the translation of which into English would preclude any other reading.
Agreed. And I considered that. But what I'm trying to figure out is: is this specific verse communicating something complex, or is it communicating something simple?
It is communicating a generally simple image using the usually complex language of biblical text. So, "both."
I understand there are some teachings which are complicated, but is this one of them? Are all teachings from the Torah complicated?
As each word/phrase/idea has at least 4 levels of meaning, and, some would say, 70 facets of understanding, I would say that while much of the Torah can be reduced to a simplistic summary, the Torah's teachings are always complex as well.
Does the notion of "ish" as more than a man fit here? Is "ish" always supposed to connote something more than a man? If not, is there anything else about this verse which would make it into something more complicated than it actually appears to be on the surface?
The fact that the verse uses the word "ish" is already problematic. Then, to wonder what the word "ish" really points to muddies the water. In Yiddish, the word מענטש means "man" but if you call someone a מענטש are you simply commenting on physiology and biology or something more? It depends on context.
I hear you. And yet pushing God out into nethermost regions completely distant and removed from us is not how Moshe describes the relationship God has chosen to have with us. ( I'm going to bring a few quotes. Not because I think you need them, but for others who may be reading this. )

Deut 4:4

וְאַתֶּם הַדְּבֵקִים בַּֽיהֹוָה אֱלֹֽהֵיכֶם חַיִּים כֻּלְּכֶם הַיּֽוֹם׃
Sanhedrin 64a:11-12

אתם בית ישראל אינן כן (במדבר כה, ה) הנצמדים לבעל פעור כצמיד פתיל (דברים ד, ד) ואתם הדבקים בה' אלהיכם כשתי תמרות הדבוקות זו בזו

במתניתא תנא הנצמדים לבעל פעור כצמיד ע"י אשה ואתם הדבקים בה' אלהיכם דבוקים ממש
But these quotes are about our relationship to God, not his with us. We are to stick with God by abiding by his laws and not worshipping any other god. The secondary problem is that the Torah, when decribing a relationship, uses language we will understand even if it reduces or overly simplifies (humanizes) divine identity and concepts. That is so we get a glimpse, not because it accurately explains God's identity accurately.

Focusing just on the issue of language, it's equally dangerous/hurtful to claim, as Rambam does, "ואל יטעך מה שבא ב׳אבות׳ מזכרון דבר האלוה להם והראותו אליהם". That is just 1 baby step away from saying, "Don't be mistaken that our ancestors were slaves in Egypt". "Don't be mistaken that the Torah was written by Moses". So, according to Rambam the akeidah was based on a hunch? The whole system falls apart if we cannot trust that what Moshe is teaching is true.
I don't see the problem with the Rambam's contention. He is stating that before the time of Moshe, people didn't get missions to retell God's will to the masses - Hashem merely mentioned what had to do with them and what would happen in the future to their descendents ("אבל היה הדיבור להם במה שהיה מיוחד להם, לא דבר אחר"). I would assume that the Rambam checked the exact language of each interaction between the forefathers and Hashem and found no instances which would qualify. Do you have counter examples that he missed?

What I'm trying to say is, this is a "forest-focused" issue. Is it teaching that God is so distant and so removed and impossible for us to grasp/cleave-to? I vote no.
The message is forest based and the medium is tree based. We can cleave to God by following the teachings but that "cleave" is a vague concept because we cannot localize or humanize God so any human understanding of "cleaving" will fall short. D-b-k has to do with sticking but it is also "follow", "pursue" and "stay close to." So God is both distant and also right next to me. If I think I can get "close" to God because of that local idea then I am forgetting that it is impossible to get closer to God also. That paradox is essential to the idea of God and it develops because God is not like man. I can liken my relationship with God to mine with man, but that captures the essence of relationship as much as saying "I can count to 7" is like "I can count to infinity." Sure, there are similarities on one level, but it also is completely different on another level.

OK. So, if in english "love" is understood in a number of ways with a number of manifestations. And in Hebrew "love" is understood in a number of ways with a number of manifestations. And in virtually any culture anywhere "love" is understood in a number of ways and a number of manifestations. Doesn't this indicate that "love" is a universal concept?
No, it means that the word might be anything BUT universal because that range of manifestations from one culture might not overlap with another, or in a way which isn't the same as how it overlaps with another.
Just because it's complicated and relies on context, doesn't mean it's different. If it's complicated and relies on context everywhere by everyone regardless of the spoken language, then, it's the same thing?
No, it isn't necessarily the same, but it is already different. Whether, after reconciling elements of difference you end up with parallel or connecting ideas, or not is immaterial. The terms and concepts start amidst confusion and we impose our human schema when we try to refine and limit so that we understand.

Yes, blessing and curse are complicated, but the idea of changing a curse into a blessing because of love is simple, isn't it?
I happen to think that that is a really complicated idea. I have no understanding of how it would work, what its limits and parameters are, if it is repeatable, or whether it is immediate.
. So, I'm asking if there is another interpretation of this verse, Deut 1:31, that does not neatly line up with the english translation? And yes, I think we can "excise" the connotation of "ish" as something other than a human man based on "b'noh" "his son".
It lines up as well as any other translation (which understands "carry" "man" and "son" differently) is also in line. Ish could be a specific man, mankind, or a type of man.
If it's highly variable in virtually all languages and cultures, and in the same ways, then it's still universal and the language used becomes irrelevant.
But the various ways are not necessarily identical. So knowing the subtleties fo the original language is essential to understanding intent.
And regarding martyrdom, I think that's a special case. There's a lot going on in the case of martyrdom. But I don't think the commandment is saying that our love should trigger death. I also don't see Rashi, nor the sifrei, nor the Talmud making this direct connection if we look at the Hebrew of what they're saying connected to Deut 6:5. If I'm wrong, please direct me to Hebrew where it is explicitly stated this way.
Rashi on 6:5 writes
בכל נפשך AND WITH ALL THY SOUL
אֲפִלּוּ הוּא נוֹטֵל אֶת נַפְשְׁךָ (ספרי; ברכות נ"ד):
— even though He take thy soul (even though you have to suffer martyrdom to show your love of God) (Sifrei Devarim 32:5; Berakhot 54a, Berakhot 61b).

That seems rather explicit -- we show our love even if that means dying.
I'm reading all of these saying the same thing I said about wine. If a person loves wine, they will still love wine even if the wine kills them. If at the end, they regret the wine, that's when they stop loving wine. Rashi says "with all your soul" - even if it's taken. In other words, even if God kills you, you're still commanded to love God. It doesn't say love God to the point of martyrdom. Am I mistranslating what he said?
So you are denying the entire principle of dying al kiddush hashem? You don't see the idea of the 3 cardinal sins, the avoidance of which must be done even if the penalty is death? As the peninei halacha writes, " 'שצריך אדם להיות מוכן למסור את נפשו על אמונתו בה'" Cleaving to God by following his laws and exclaiming faith, even if it means dying.
If the overlap is the same in most languages and cultures, then it's still lanuage independent. Just because the concept is fluid, doesn't make it unique to one specific language and culture. Do we agree on this?
I disagree with the inevitability of your premise. And I think that a concept's fluidity even if it exists in parallel, heightens the possibility that the understanding of it will be inexact when switching from one culture/language to another.

Is there a word, a single word for "like" in biblical Hebrew? What about "חֵן"? "Favor"? Isn't this having a positive opinion about someone or something but doesn't extend beyond that? In context it seems to be a one-to-one equivalence, "חֵן" = "like"? Then there's the somewhat poetic two-word phrase "טוֹב בְּעֵינֵי" with its opposite "רָעָה בְּעֵינֵי". Isn't this how "like" is communicated in biblical Hebrew?
Like is actually never communicated. The term "to find favor" is often used in terms of ingratiating, or being graced with a very large favor (which would be indicative of something more than a boring "like"). Noach "found favor" in God's eyes -- I don't think that that means that God simply like Noach.

The words "tov b'einei" means "proper in the eyes of" not "like."

---

Attachments

• 16777881128748293242337751945022.jpg
    16777881128748293242337751945022.jpg
    207.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
It is communicating a generally simple image using the usually complex language of biblical text. So, "both."
OK great! What do you think that this generally simple image is communicating?
But these quotes are about our relationship to God, not his with us. We are to stick with God by abiding by his laws and not worshipping any other god. The secondary problem is that the Torah, when decribing a relationship, uses language we will understand even if it reduces or overly simplifies (humanizes) divine identity and concepts. That is so we get a glimpse, not because it accurately explains God's identity accurately.
I agree. But the same sages who tell us that Torah is written in human terms, are also telling us that actual cleaving is possible?

I don't see the problem with the Rambam's contention. He is stating that before the time of Moshe, people didn't get missions to retell God's will to the masses - Hashem merely mentioned what had to do with them and what would happen in the future to their descendents ("אבל היה הדיבור להם במה שהיה מיוחד להם, לא דבר אחר"). I would assume that the Rambam checked the exact language of each interaction between the forefathers and Hashem and found no instances which would qualify. Do you have counter examples that he missed?
Sadly, no, it goes much further than just not having a message for the masses. According to the Rambam Hashem did not "mention" anything to them. There were no words, they were just thoughts. If you keep reading a bit more into section 65, you'll see that. So, there is no covenant between God and Abraham. There was no command to circumcise. The akeidah was an idea that came to Abraham's mind. Abraham advocating for the Sodomoites? Didn't happen. In the desert, a cloud descends on the tent of meeting, the people hear God speaking to Moses? Didn't happen. Moses didn't receive tablets inscribed by God, and when Moses says, these are the words God spoke to you... he's lying, didn't happen. Rambam literally says the creation, wasn't divine speech.

And to justify this he points to verses where the Torah has someone "speaking in their heart" as an interal reflection, and then applies that globally to anytime the word for "speaking" is used for God's words. And he looks to Psalms, considers them literal and uses that to justify that the Torah is not literal. Isn't this completely backwards? The Psalms are poetry, not prophecy? The Torah is prophecy, not poetry?
I happen to think that that is a really complicated idea. I have no understanding of how it would work, what its limits and parameters are, if it is repeatable, or whether it is immediate.
Sure, there's questions that can be asked. But do you really think that the Torah at this point in the narrative is saying anything other than God did something good for the Jewish people?
Rashi on 6:5 writes
בכל נפשך AND WITH ALL THY SOUL
אֲפִלּוּ הוּא נוֹטֵל אֶת נַפְשְׁךָ (ספרי; ברכות נ"ד):
— even though He take thy soul (even though you have to suffer martyrdom to show your love of God) (Sifrei Devarim 32:5; Berakhot 54a, Berakhot 61b).

That seems rather explicit -- we show our love even if that means dying.
The part in parentheses isn't Rashi's comment, correct? It's not in the Sifrei, it's not in either of the Talmud passages? Not in the Hebrew, not in the Aramaic?

Rashi's comment says "he takes our soul" not "we give our soul"?

So, this connection between martyrdom and this verse is commentary of commentary which someone has applied to Rashi's comment? Where does it originally come from?
So you are denying the entire principle of dying al kiddush hashem? You don't see the idea of the 3 cardinal sins, the avoidance of which must be done even if the penalty is death? As the peninei halacha writes, " 'שצריך אדם להיות מוכן למסור את נפשו על אמונתו בה'" Cleaving to God by following his laws and exclaiming faith, even if it means dying.
Not at all. And maybe you missed it in my reply, but I said that I thought martyrdom was a special case, that it was complicated, but this verse isn't instructing our love to trigger death. Now, maybe I accidentally denied it? That wasn't my intention. Is Deut 6:5 the Torah basis for this?

Regarding "להיות מוכן למסור את נפשו על אמונתו בה", that seems to confirm what I'm saying. It's an act of emunah. That is outside of emotion, outside of intellect. It's a totally different paradigm.
I disagree with the inevitability of your premise. And I think that a concept's fluidity even if it exists in parallel, heightens the possibility that the understanding of it will be inexact when switching from one culture/language to another.
The thing is, we know how healthy parent-child love is described in Torah, right? We know how Abraham felt about Ishmael. We know about how Jacob felt about Joseph, and vice versa. I'm sure I can come up with other examples, but, couldn't this be a special case of something universal? If what's communicated in Torah, matches what I experience and others experience even though we speak a totally different language, are in a totally different culture, and live in a totally different time, doesn't that mean something?

I'm going to reply to another post, bringing something scientific to justify this idea. It's a cross-cultural lexical study. It's not just asking people about "love". It's studying languages and culture by looking at words for love which are supposed to by untranslatable. To me, this is a significant way to determine how polysemus are the linguistics of "love". What they found is that among all the different untranslatable words that different cultures and different languages have for love, it can still be broken out into 14 different types of love. Just 14. One of those types is familial-love. Doesn't this indicate, at the very least, that across cultures the parent-child love is a universal concept. There may be different words for it, but the underlying meaning is essentially the same.
Like is actually never communicated. The term "to find favor" is often used in terms of ingratiating, or being graced with a very large favor (which would be indicative of something more than a boring "like"). Noach "found favor" in God's eyes -- I don't think that that means that God simply like Noach.

The words "tov b'einei" means "proper in the eyes of" not "like."
OK, ok, I like the challenge...

How about רֵעֶה? God speaks to Moshe like a friend. God likes Moshe?
Or maybe נֹֽעַם? The Torah's ways are pleasant. King Solomon likes the Torah?
Or even maybe words of the root רצה?

Last edited:

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Defining it in different ways based on langauge and culture means that it doesn't share a universal meaning unless someone does the work to unify the concept for everyone. Even then, they don't define their historical chosen words the same. No one said they don't have a word. The definitions of what each word means is different. Thus, what each group means with their word is not the same everywhere you go.
Here's smething actually scientific, not some marketing person doing a campaign. It actually addresses the linguistic differences cross cultures, cross languages of "love". Please try not to cherry pick out parts that support your idea. Among all the "untranslatable" words for love across cultures, parent-child love is universal.

Attachments

• Lomas (2018) - The flavours of love (uploadable).pdf
    503.7 KB · Views: 0

David Davidovich

One of the views would be to state, instead of a "creature", is that a malakh is an element of reality that in the state of nevuah (loosely translated as prophecy) allows the Jewish Navi to understand a particular element of reality in a more human way. Like someone dreaming about Thermodynamics and their interaction with the concept is in the form a human being explaining when in reality Thermodynamics is not a human but an element of reality.

I had to look up what Navi meant because I can't keep up with/remember what the various terms mean that you mention in Hebrew. So then, are you saying these are metaphysical verses that are only for the Jewish prophets? And if so, what about the other Jewish common folk who are reading Hebrew text?

One way of looking at it is like saying, "Myriads of the elements of reality - from the human perspective allude to draw attention to the fact that there is a Source of creation/reality." This ability to draw such a conclusion from reality itself was placed in the system so that it would make it apparent to humanity. I.e. it is for the benefit of humanity that the ability for such to exist does exist.

So, how is this made apparent to "humanity" for the benefit of "humanity" if only the Jewish Navi are supposed to understand it?

David Davidovich

View attachment 72203

The meaning of the statement goes like this. This entire part of the Torah is Mosheh ben-Amram (Moses) directing the entire Jewish nation that is about to enter into the land of Israel. Further, this is also his instruction for all generations of Jews. Put in simple terms, Mosheh is stating that the focus of a Jewish Torah based life is founded on loving Hashem with all elements of the Jewish existance.

For example, when a Torah based Jew wakes up in the morning or normal reaction is to praise Hashem for all the elements of reality that allow us to wake up. We protect our health out of love for the resources that Hashem gave us to maintain ourselves. We interact with our family with a focus on the mitzvoth of Hashem the healthy relationships we are able to build. Work, play, sleep, etc. all are predicated on our love for what Hashem has done for us in the past, does with us in the present, and will do in the future.

Thus, this section of the Torah addresses the healthy Torah based method of a Jewish Torah based life.

Okay, that's pretty straight forward and sounds like the same type of meaning that a non-Jewish non-Hebrew speaking person would have.

David Davidovich

It is about the difference in definions that exist in Hebrew and English. Also, the debate about the nature of Hashem among Torath Mosheh Jews is in the realm of "philosophy." The only way to address the heart of this issue is in Hebrew. Herbew words often don't translate well into English w/o lots of commentary.

Kind of like our discussion about the word "god" vs. "Elohim" W/o addressing the language differences one can come to some wrong conclusions. That in a nutshell is the issue. There are statements made by rabbis in Hebrew/Aramaic/Judea-Arabic/Yiddish/etc. that can misunderstood when translated into English.

So, are the common Jewish people able to understand this besides the Rabbis and the learned people amongst the Torath Mosheh Jew?

P.S. I didn't know there were debates among Torath Mosheh Jews.

David Davidovich

David Davidovich said:

So, what is Hashem actually doing then? Because once again, it almost seems like he is functioning more like a ginormous computer or intelligence.

The computer anology is not adequate. The reason is because we humans created computers what created us can't be compared to what we create. In the universe you have to say that we humans are the computers. I.e. kind of like saying we humans are organic A.I. that Hashem created. By like token, a computer can only do what it does based on the programming that comes from humans. How A.I. interacts with the world is not the same as a person.

Yeah, I kind of figured that it would be inadequate. And I kind of knew I was in trouble when I made my statement and that is why I added the words "or intelligence" to my sentence. ;)

In terms of what Hashem is actually doing. That is a big philosophical challenge. For example, Hashem is not affected by or subject to time. Hashem created time. I, as a human, am subject to time. Because I am subject to past, present, and future there is no way for me to quantify the workinds of "something" not subject to past, present, and future. Currently, in the best scenary I may live for 100+ years. Because of this limitation I can't quantify thousands of years, millions of years, and billions of years. I also don't have the ability to describe processes that are so small I can't see them or that happens in fractions of seconds.

The Response of a number of Torath Mosheh Jews is, "The Torah gives us a snapshot of the logic we need to develop in life. We take that and work with the reality as we have it. We receive what we receive from Hashem, even if we don't fully understand all the mechanics of how that works. Yet, we know - from Hashem - that he established a reality that we can excel in using the Torah." That connects all views of this philosophical issue.

Thanks, but that still didn't answer my question of "So, what is Hashem actually doing then?" Also, off the top of my head, I kind of don't see how many of the Torah laws which appear to be so antiquated are logical or beneficial for current human beings. And that's not a criticism, but just an observation.

David Davidovich

David Davidovich said:

So then does that mean that Jews just do what they are told by what they believe is this 'thing' that is supposed to be the Source of Reality and that's basically it? Or in other words, it's just kind of like blind obedience or they are just following cultural tradition?

If it is proven to be the Source then yes. This of course was tested in previous generations and each generation brings their investigations, research, etc. of Torah to the picture of each subsequent generation.

With this being the circumstance each Jew can come to the reality in any of the following ways:
  1. Through a lengthy thought out logic based process of reasoning.
  2. Through blind obedience.
  3. Just following cultural tradition.
All three methods are accetable realities within the entire Jewish people. Of course a person can incorporate all three and of course the entire Jewish people has survived for thousands of years on the back of all three.

Again, the baseline is that all three groups know that Hashem/The Source of reality gave the Torah at Mount Sinai to the Israeli/Jewish people. This baseline is also up for continous investigation or not.

That's a very honest answer and I thank you for it. Although, I'm still kind of digesting and processing that.

Ehav4Ever

Yeah, I kind of figured that it would be inadequate. And I kind of knew I was in trouble when I made my statement and that is why I added the words "or intelligence" to my sentence. ;)

Still the same answer. The A.I. doesn't get to define what created it. Especially if the A.I. is millions of magnitudes below what created it. Even the use of "intellegence" can be a problem since human intellegence is based on human standards. In the sense of A.I. that humans create the A.I. is not that far off from humanity. It is physically on our level thus are those who fear what A.I. can do if it went wrong.

Thanks, but that still didn't answer my question of "So, what is Hashem actually doing then?"

Actually it did. How can I describe to you what Hashem actually does when we are both bound by time? Basically, everything that you can see in the reality was established by Hashem. Thus, if you study natural sciences llike Chemistry, Geology, Physics, Mathematics, or Astronomy and Biological Sciences, like Biology, Botany, Zoology, Genetics, or Microbiology you are studying what "Hashem is actually doing."

How that works exactly we can only speculate on using human langauge and only based on our advancement in any generation, but Hashem is way beyond all of us. Thus, Rabbi Saadya Gaon, Rabbi Bahya ben Joseph ibn Pakuda, Rabbi Mosheh ben-Maimon, Rabbi Avraham ben-Mosheh, Chaim Yosef David Azulaiת Rabbi Yosef Qafahh, and other like them in their writings have stated that humans have to recognize the limits of what we can understand in any generation because Hashem is beyond our understanding while living. Even Mosheh ben-Amram (Moses) had limits which he understood. There is a Midrash that describes his nevuah compared to the other nevi'im as if Mosheh saw Hashem through one unclear/blurry lense (which he understood as his limit) where the rest of the Torah based nevi'im saw Hashem through 15 more dirty lenses w/o being able to notice this reality. This is of course a metaphor.

Also, off the top of my head, I kind of don't see how many of the Torah laws which appear to be so antiquated are logical or beneficial for current human beings. And that's not a criticism, but just an observation.

That is because you have never studied them:
  1. In Hebrew
  2. From Torath Mosheh Jews in a Torah Mosheh Jewish environment
  3. from sources that describe each one and their relevance to the Jewish people, past, present and future.
As an example, there are a number of descriptions of the mitzvoth in the Talmud, Moreh Nevuchim, Rashi's commentary of the Torah, Ramban's commentary of the Torah, Malbim's commentary of the Torah, etc. If you have never heard of these sources then that means there is no way you would know what the mitzvoth are for.

Last edited:

Ehav4Ever

So, are the common Jewish people able to understand this besides the Rabbis and the learned people amongst the Torath Mosheh Jew?

Of course. That is the point of what we call Talmud Torah. How do you think Hebrew was preserved from thousands of years ago until the modern era.

P.S. I didn't know there were debates among Torath Mosheh Jews.

Of course. Quite a bit of the Talmud is full of debates about every topic. There have even been what can considered debates between Jews of different generations. Debate is how we learn and how we challenge ideas for the sake of the Truth. This is something that is widely known about Torah based Jewish culture.

This is a long video and it is only in Hebrew, but you can skim through it. It is of a rabbi here in Israel that does presentations on the Torah and he allows people to ask questions, challenge him, debate him, etc. on any topic.

Ehav4Ever

Please try not to cherry pick out parts that support your idea. Among all the "untranslatable" words for love across cultures, parent-child love is universal.

But you just cherry picked what you decided fits your needs. The entire paper is not about parent-child love. Further, pages 24 to 26 discuss exactly what I wrote.

Ehav4Ever

I had to look up what Navi meant because I can't keep up with/remember what the various terms mean that you mention in Hebrew. So then, are you saying these are metaphysical verses that are only for the Jewish prophets? And if so, what about the other Jewish common folk who are reading Hebrew text?

Not just for the Jewish Navi's, for all Jews. By like token a Jew can decide to reject Hashem and reject the Torah. That has been the source of the current reality since right before the exiles. All Torah based Jews study the Torah with the understanding that in any part of the Torah there are four ways that they can be understand. All of which requires studying the language of the Torah, studying the actual text of the Torah, and looking through the generations to see what is said about the text. A Jew doesn't have to be a Navi do all of that.

BTW, I use the word Navi in this situation so that it doesn't get mixed up with what the English word prophet usually means to westerners.

So, how is this made apparent to "humanity" for the benefit of "humanity" if only the Jewish Navi are supposed to understand it?

Because, there are a humans all around the world who delight in living in the reality as it has been created. There are a people around the world who do not look at the challenges of life as impossibilities and instead take hold of a every possibility. They don't have to be Jewish to see the reality for how it good it is. Especially if one compares it the planets in the known galaxy that don't have hospitable environments. There are further, scientists who delight in every discovery they make in the natural world.

What a Torah based Jew understands is the Torah. That is our job to work with. The non-Jewish world does not have that as their national and cultural requirement/basis. The non-Jewish nations have the 7 mitzvoth or Noachide laws. Those, are available for any person to know and most humans do most of them to start with anyway.

Further, there are people who know that Jews exist and if they want to have the Torah the way a Jew does they can become Jewish. They just don't have a requirement to do so.

Ehav4Ever

And yet, no one in the video says, "I don't know what love is". ;)

Of course they don't, because anyone can develop a word say this is the general word and then when they have to define it in practical detail come up different formulations of what they mean when they use it. Thus, one person may that loving their children is letting them be free to do whatever they want. Another may say that is not love and that is giving children rules and bounderies while another person may no conflict at all with hurting their children and saying that they love them.

Besides, there are some people who have complained that if a "god" loves a person like people love other people why does He allow human suffering. Or better yet, the claim of "If god loves the Jewish people why did he allow the holocaust to happen? A human parent would never allow or cause such a thing to happen to their children." Thus, this starts the philosophical debate about what love or isn't and there isn't some one word answer.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
But you just cherry picked what you decided fits your needs. The entire paper is not about parent-child love. Further, pages 24 to 26 discuss exactly what I wrote.
The entire paper is about the lexical differences cross culture, cross language about love. They found 609 untranslatable words describing forms of love and analyzed them. These 609 words reduced down to 14 types of love. That is a reduction of 98%. These are supposed to be untranslatable words, but they were all able to reduced and catagorized independent of language and culture. If language an culture were are a large factor, then, there should be many more unique catagories.

The study asks that question, how polysemous is the word love? The answer is 2%.

Yes, there are limitations to the study which are described on pages 24-26, but if you'll notice the author never cites familial-love as one of those examples of a catagory that has limitations. The other issue that they bring up is that perhaps 14 catagories is too small, maybe it should be increased to 63. If so, that only changes the quantitaive result by 8%, so, in that pessimistic scenario where the study is deeply flawed, love is 10% polysemous for untranslatable words.

How about this? If Ahavah is different than love, would you please define ahavah as it exists in Torah?

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Of course they don't, because anyone can develop a word say this is the general word and then when they have to define it in practical detail come up different formulations of what they mean when they use it. Thus, one person may that loving their children is letting them be free to do whatever they want. Another may say that is not love and that is giving children rules and bounderies while another person may no conflict at all with hurting their children and saying that they love them.

Besides, there are some people who have complained that if a "god" loves a person like people love other people why does He allow human suffering. Or better yet, the claim of "If god loves the Jewish people why did he allow the holocaust to happen? A human parent would never allow or cause such a thing to happen to their children." Thus, this starts the philosophical debate about what love or isn't and there isn't some one word answer.

I never said there was a one word answer. I said that love is love in any language, and those same philosophical discussions happen in any language in any culture.

Regarding the video you previously posted several days ago about what is love, it's not a very good way to measure the diversity of love cross culture. They weren't given an opportunity to give a detailed answer. It was more of an answer of the first thing that comes to mind.

You've given the hypothetical about the different ways that parent-child love is expressed. But ultimately it's about caring for the child. So, once a person reads the Torah, understands the general image being described as a parent-child relationship. When the word ahavah is given, describing HaShem's motivation, any person can understand what is being said without copious explanation.

Regarding the Holocaust, those "complaints" you speak of are completely valid. It doesn't change my own beliefs that HaShem loves like a parent, because I do not limit HaShem to only loving like a parent.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
If people have different definitions of what love is then love is not "defined" the same.
If the different definitions match, then they do define it the same.

Why not define ahavah for us? That would be really helpful.