• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gaza civilians killed at historic pace

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
Going for the strawman of the year award are you?
Not a strawman. Israel is explicitly committing genocide, and those defending its actions in Gaza are defending genocide.

Those opposing it are doing so from a position of opposing genocide.

Last edited:

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
I answered one of your questions.(post 225) I think it was a good, thoughtful and compassionate answer. You responded by implying that I was some kind of hateful monster.(post 226)

So I don't think you deserve anymore answers.

But, I will confess, I don't have the solution to peace in the middle east. Is that what you want to hear? Sometimes I think I am the only one who doesn't (pretend to) have the answer.

But I suspect that bombing Palestinians is not the answer. Bombs are not going to get those hostages freed. And they are not the path to a lasting peace.

You clearly don't think that Israel deserves an answer.

You'll be surprised to read that I generally agree with your last paragraph. I also agree with the rabbi who pleaded:

“Our human ask is that people give a damn when we die.”​

It is a a sentiment that is conspicuously absent as opposed to, for example, the impassioned insistence that the people of Israel simply acquiesce to defeat at the hands of a vicious antisemitic barbarism that inflicts and invites carnage as a fundamental strategy, and promises that it will continue to do so irrespective of how Israel will respond.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
I've given multiple answers to this question already.
By reducing the frequency of the bombing to account for Palestinian patterns of life, not using explosives that were deemed inappropriate for use in Urban environments during the war on terror and by rejecting tactics that reproduce the material conditions that lead to terrorism.

You wrote:

Hamas is a terrorist group that should be opposed, and the hostages should be released.

Now that I've entertained your whataboutism, ...

Do you truly believe that "reducing the frequency of the bombing to account for Palestinian patterns of life" answers my question? Are you aware of what happened to the last cease-fire or, for that matter, that October 7 was a barbaric truce violation?

Never mind -- I wouldn't want you to waste time 'entertaining my whataboutism' ... :rolleyes:

Bthoth

Israel has demonstrated that they do not have the moral high ground, there tactics in war are the lowest of the low
In 09 I watched videos of israel firing phosphorus munitions over civilians of gaza. i do not believe i have seen worse from either.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
From The Times of Israel: ICC chief prosecutor meets Oct. 7 survivors in Israel, PA president:

Khan toured some of the communities attacked during the October 7 Hamas onslaught, including Kibbutz Be’eri and Kibbutz Kfar Aza, and heard testimonies from survivors of the massacre.​
In a written statement issued after his visit he said he witnessed “scenes of calculated cruelty” at locations of the attacks.​
“The attacks against innocent Israeli civilians on 7 October represent some of the most serious international crimes that shock the conscience of humanity, crimes which the ICC was established to address,” Khan said, adding that he and his prosecutors are working “to hold those responsible to account.”​
He added that he is ready to engage with local prosecutors in line with the principle of complementarity – the ICC is a court of last resort set up to prosecute war crimes when local courts cannot or will not take action.​
“I would be completely incompetent if I don’t check the instances of children being kidnapped from their beds and Holocaust survivors being taken into captivity,” Khan told Haaretz.​
Khan also said that international crimes were likely committed. “These were not random murders. People were murdered because of their identity.”​
Regarding the families who invited him, Khan said they “expect not just empathy, but action.”​

I appreciate the visit and the remarks.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
I would be genuinely interested if you had any thoughts regarding the OP or the questions I posed to you on the first page, but you really haven't contributed anything so far that indicates to me that you actually read or skimmed the article.

My apologies.

Yes, I read the article and do not dispute the facts raised or the carnage that those facts expose. The former is in great part a function of dealing with a deeply embedded enemy entirely dismissive of the the wellbeing of those it rules. The latter is a horror that speaks for itself.

As for my initial thoughts in general, see here.

I can understand that this subject matter is quite personal and important to you, and won't hold it against you as you seem to be a thoughtful poster when you choose to be

Thank you.

libre

Skylark
Staff member
Premium Member
Do you truly believe that "reducing the frequency of the bombing to account for Palestinian patterns of life" answers my question?
Yes. It may not be the answer you'd like or agree with, but I believe it does.

Human rights concerns and the plight of the Palestinians aside, I do not believe that the current response by Israel is conductive for combating terrorism. I think that a reassessment of the methods used and the siege tactics are in order for the purposes of combating terrorism.

I don't think deploying tactics that play to the hands of terrorists in the long run should be used for short-term gains.

Palestinian public opinion is a very important key in combating terrorism that Israeli strategy consistently ignores when they implement changes that the Palestinians interpret as collective punishment.

Alien826

No religious beliefs
What defines "as far as possible"?

Good question. I pondered a while over that wording. The question is, is it actually possible to avoid innocent deaths in all cases. The trivial answer is "yes", simply don't kill anyone, but not too useful IRL. One outstanding case that the police face all the time goes like this. A perp is running away from the police carrying a gun. He is running towards a group of bystanders. He will probably shoot some of them, so shoot him first, even though you run the risk of hitting the innocent people in the process. I guess that is a particular example of the "trolley problem" in philosophy.

In the particular case of Hamas/Gaza, does it apply? Will eliminating Hamas at the cost of innocent civilians actually cause less innocent deaths in the future? I'll leave that for the reader to contemplate.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Will eliminating Hamas at the cost of innocent civilians actually cause less innocent deaths in the future? I'll leave that for the reader to contemplate.
Let me pose a question for you to 'contemplate.'

Remembering that Hamas violated the cease-fire on the morning of December 1st much as it callously shattered the truce on the morning of October 7th, will assenting to continued Hamas rule invite future acts of barbaric incitement.

Alien826

No religious beliefs
Let me pose a question for you to 'contemplate.'

Remembering that Hamas violated the cease-fire on the morning of December 1st much as it callously shattered the truce on the morning of October 7th, will assenting to continued Hamas rule invite future acts of barbaric incitement.

I think that Hamas will continue to be Hamas regardless. And it could be effectively impossible to eliminate them, as even if you killed all the leadership (unlikely as many are tucked away in other countries) and all current members (equally unlikely) then the idea of Hamas under the same name or a new one will persist. And one day the aggression will continue, maybe with some delay, but with fresh fuel to the fires of hatred.

So is it hopeless? It's certainly difficult. Let's see what you think of what is no more than an idea. This is all once the current fighting comes to an end.

It seems to me that getting to peace needs a couple of things that are currently missing. First is a concerted effort by other nations (like the USA, European nations and the surrounding Arab nations) that are dedicated to a peaceful solution, and don't give up when things don't immediately work out. They should not take sides, but work from the basis that both sides have merit and that the past must be put behind us.

Next, both sides need reasonable people to negotiate with. That means replacing both Hamas and the current leadership of Israel. Israel is easier, because I already know that all Israelis are not right wing theocrats (is that a word?), far from it, and an election could do it. What I'm betting on is that there is a core of Palestinians that truly want peace, given a fair compromise.

Israel should go to a defensive posture. Yes, that means putting up with some rockets, but at least only kill those that launch them, so far as that is possible. Then institute a program that benefits the Palestinians, in Gaza, Israel and the West Bank. Let them see that maybe things could not be so bad, even if Israel still exists.

Let time pass and let it work.

I haven't mentioned a two state solution. I may be crazy, but I picture one state, including current Israel, Gaza and the West Bank, with all inhabitants being citizens with truly equal rights.

"You may think I'm a dreamer ..."