• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

George's Spiritual Journal

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
The Problem of Anvils

Is the cartoonist willing to stop drawing anvils, but not able to help himself? Then he is not omnipotent.

Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.

Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh anvils?

Is he neither able nor willing?
&@$#- him then.

--- Wileyus Coyoticus

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
The Problem of Anvils

Is the cartoonist willing to stop drawing anvils, but not able to help himself? Then he is not omnipotent.

Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.

Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh anvils?

Is he neither able nor willing?
&@$#- him then.

--- Wileyus Coyotius
Actually, this has been where my mind's been stuck awhile now.

Probably why the coyote-dog likes me so well.

I don't believe in any omnipotent deities, which is helpful.

I just wish one of them could toss me an umbrella right about now.

The 'eternal ****' is hard to get out of one's clothes.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Actually, this has been where my mind's been stuck awhile now.

Probably why the coyote-dog likes me so well.

I don't believe in any omnipotent deities, which is helpful.

I just wish one of them could toss me an umbrella right about now.

The 'eternal ****' is hard to get out of one's clothes.
*Hands George a gift certificate for the Acme Corporation*

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
Well, it's been pretty well proven that a restricted calorie diet helps improve longevity.

Is she badly underweight?
SHe's a little underweight, but not badly.

However, the few things she chooses to eat aren't great.

A cookie here. Applesauce. A piece of chocolate.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
Who am I?

What am I doing here?

I don't mean in a general sense, but rather a very specific sense.

Why am I the way I am, and what in the world is my purpose here?

(I don't expect anyone on these forums to have an answer to this, just meandering.)

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Who am I?

What am I doing here?

I don't mean in a general sense, but rather a very specific sense.

Why am I the way I am, and what in the world is my purpose here?

(I don't expect anyone on these forums to have an answer to this, just meandering.)

According to this piece, the answers are "right under your nose"

The following story comes from the Talmud:

Before we're born, while in our mother's womb, the Almighty sends an angel to sit beside us and teach us all the wisdom for living we'll ever need to know. Then, just before we're born, the angel taps us under the nose (forming the philtrum, the indentation that everyone has under their nose), and we forget everything the angel taught us.

What does this story teach?

That truth and wisdom is "right under your nose!"

We can look inside ourselves to learn what life is about. Buried within the subconscious mind, in the farthest corner of our memory, lies the knowledge of everything we need to know: The purpose of life, how to love, how to reach our potential. Our task is to bring that knowledge to the conscious mind – i.e. to make the effort to remember!

Nobody can ever teach you anything new. They can only help you get in touch with what you already intuitively know to be true.

Rabbi Noah Weinberg

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
According to this piece, the answers are "right under your nose"

The following story comes from the Talmud:

Before we're born, while in our mother's womb, the Almighty sends an angel to sit beside us and teach us all the wisdom for living we'll ever need to know. Then, just before we're born, the angel taps us under the nose (forming the philtrum, the indentation that everyone has under their nose), and we forget everything the angel taught us.

What does this story teach?

That truth and wisdom is "right under your nose!"

We can look inside ourselves to learn what life is about. Buried within the subconscious mind, in the farthest corner of our memory, lies the knowledge of everything we need to know: The purpose of life, how to love, how to reach our potential. Our task is to bring that knowledge to the conscious mind – i.e. to make the effort to remember!

Nobody can ever teach you anything new. They can only help you get in touch with what you already intuitively know to be true.

Rabbi Noah Weinberg
That's a beautiful thought.

I seem to be forgetting, though...

Or, I'm wondering what if what I thought was true isn't...

I'm confused.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Yeah, I think I am.

I'm familiar with the term.

Many of us have had "dark nights" over the years. There is a humorous song about that state which you might or might not find interesting MUSIC | Sufism Reoriented - select the letter "G" (God Speaks - The Musical) and #8 "Manonash Calypso" . The message of the song has supported me when I've been in a 'dark night' state.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
Many of us have had "dark nights" over the years. There is a humorous song about that state which you might or might not find interesting MUSIC | Sufism Reoriented - select the letter "G" (God Speaks - The Musical) and #8 "Manonash Calypso" . The message of the song has supported me when I've been in a 'dark night' state.
I'll give it a listen when I can be undisturbed. :)

The last time I had a dark night, Krishna came. After I hollered at him, of course. Because the powers that be think its funny to get me yelling... I think. I don't yell very much. (Unless its for show, but its not genuine.)

I first spelled that dark knight, and then realized that was incorrect, and deleted it. Hm.