• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

God is a person

Noaidi

slow walker
There is a place you go where labels cannot follow but stay in the materialistic realm.Labels only try to describe that place from a place other than being in that place as they don't exist in true reality.As Einstein stated reality is an illusion although a very persistant one.Labels describe this illusion.

Your reply is a wee bit esoteric. This thread isn’t concerned with perception of reality – it’s about your god being perceived as a real person who is able to have a two-way communication with people.

My basic question was how this actually occurs. If I speak to someone, there is an interaction: talking and listening in turns, reading body language and so on. How do you do this with your god?

I also asked for an answer that could be verified by everyone, not just believers. If this communication exists, the process should be open to scrutiny by anyone, not just a select few.

Man of Faith

I'm personally quite offended by this, my Grandma recently passed away from cancer, she suffered for a very long time, are you saying this is her fault, she did something wrong in the past? How can you believe in a God that would cause such a good person so much suffering?

I'm saying that it is mankinds fault not your Grandma's. I'm in the hospital right now, I just had a stint put in my heart this morning. I understand that it is because of originial sin and we live in a fallen world and everybody dies of something.

Last edited:

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
I'm saying that it is mankinds fault not your Grandma's. I'm in the hospital right now, I just had a stint put in my heart this morning. I understand that it is because of originial sin and we live in a fallen world and everybody dies of something.

But how are we responsible for the mistakes that others had committed long before we even existed? Punishing the innocent for other people's crimes is an injustice.

Man of Faith

But how are we responsible for the mistakes that others had committed long before we even existed? Punishing the innocent for other people's crimes is an injustice.

Has anyone stopped sinning sin Adam and Eve? We all partake and propetuate the fallen nature in the earth. The reason there is disease, natural disasters and death in the world is because of mankinds sin. An innocent child does not sin but can die of cancer, but if they grew up they would sin.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank

So God is unjust? He's punishing Grandma for someone else's sins?

Sententia

Hmmm should we stop learning about aging? I was in the hospital for cancer and would have surely died if we didnt know about radiation and chemo-therapy and surgery and medicine etc etc.

Last I checked in on the M prize the research was mind blowing. Aging may not be needed. Death may be easily avoidable. Hope you feel better. Be good.

Noaidi

slow walker
The reason there is disease, natural disasters and death in the world is because of mankinds sin.

I hope you are not seriously promoting this idea.

If you are, there are many good biology and geology textbooks out there dealing with the causes of disease and natural disasters. Well worth having a look at.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
So... the effects of sin can be staved off (at least temporarily) by inserting a small tube in one of your arteries? What a bizarre concept.

BTW - exactly who was it who set up the unjust system where one person's sin can lead to harm for others?

I hope you are not seriously promoting this idea.

If you are, there are many good biology and geology textbooks out there dealing with the causes of disease and natural disasters. Well worth having a look at.
It would also mean that all efforts to relieve suffering are futile, apart from getting people to stop sinning. I hope that Man of Faith is happy that his cardiac surgeon doesn't share this view.

(BTW, MoF - I didn't realize you were in the hospital until you just mentioned it. I hope you recover quickly)

Looncall

Isn't it cute how religion can be used to excuse unlimited evil? Sounds like a con job to me.

The clerics can explain away any bad thing that happens while keeping their followers in a state of morbid guilt and therefore obedience.

(all the best for your recovery, MofF)

ninerbuff

godless wonder
Therefore he wills, feels, thinks, enjoys, loves, desires, and suffers like any person does. And I can cultivate a relationship with him just like I can with any person. I wouldn’t tell any person that they don’t exist, use their name while cursing, or do what they don’t want me to if I want to cultivate a relationship with them. I would talk to them and try to find out how to please them.
god is a figment of imagination for the perfect person you wish you could share you life with. Not uncommon to fantasize about things like this.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Just thinking (and to pull this discussion a bit back toward the OP)...

Man of Faith, you said that God is a person in that he wills, thinks, feels, etc. In the case of a mortal person, these things create culpability: if we foresee the consequences of an action and deliberately (i.e. as an act of will) cause that action to occur, then we are culpable for the foreseen result. However, it seems like you're arguing that God isn't culpable in this way.

Doesn't this create a contradiction? If God really is a person, then doesn't this mean that God is culpable like a person would be?

ninerbuff

godless wonder
Just thinking (and to pull this discussion a bit back toward the OP)...

Man of Faith, you said that God is a person in that he wills, thinks, feels, etc. In the case of a mortal person, these things create culpability: if we foresee the consequences of an action and deliberately (i.e. as an act of will) cause that action to occur, then we are culpable for the foreseen result. However, it seems like you're arguing that God isn't culpable in this way.

Doesn't this create a contradiction? If God really is a person, then doesn't this mean that God is culpable like a person would be?
And did god pay taxes?:D