• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

God is disproven by science? Really?

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I found the eyewitness accounts to be true as well as the infallible proofs they wrote down and witnessed.
What eyewitness accounts? There are claims, by unknown authors, that's all. Please cite some of these eyewitness accounts.
Infallible proofs? Horsefeathers! If there were proofs we'd all be believers.

You really haven't been keeping up with the theism/atheism debate, have you? Theists have been recycling the same couple dozen "proofs" for hundreds of years, and they've been debunked and shown to be wrong or illogical every time they came up. Apparently you missed it all.
Please let us know if you've come up with anything new.
”The former account I made, O Theophilus, of all that Jesus began both to do and teach, until the day in which He was taken up, after He through the Holy Spirit had given commandments to the apostles whom He had chosen, to whom He also presented Himself alive after His suffering by many infallible proofs, being seen by them during forty days and speaking of the things pertaining to the kingdom of God.“
‭‭Acts‬ ‭1‬:‭1‬-‭3‬ ‭NKJV‬‬
Huh? :shrug:

You really haven't been keeping up with the theism/atheism debate, have you? Theists have been recycling the same couple dozen "proofs" for hundreds of years, and they've been debunked and shown to be wrong or illogical every time they came up. Apparently you missed it all.
Please let us know if you've come up with anything new
No I don’t keep up with all that, I have the Bible, the Holy Spirit, all the testimonies of God’s faithfulness in my life. What do you have?

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
There is nothing new under the sun.
So you admit you have no reasonable justification for your belief; no argument that hasn't been debunked?
Have gotten you where? At your age what do you have to show for your life? You’re at the end of your life and still haven’t figured out why you’re here.
So your religion's a self-help or psychotherapeutic modality, as opposed to an ontological truth?
My rejection of falsehood and refusal to believe the irrational have nothing to do with my accomplishments pr satisfaction with life.

So you admit you have no reasonable justification for your belief; no argument that hasn't been debunked?
No that’s what you have, I have Jesus Christ,
Risen from the Dead, the Holy Spirit and power to live a Holy Life pleasing to God, access to the very presence of God by the blood of the Lamb, Eternal life now and always.
I’m not like some other people who are dead men walking and spiritually blind, almost dead with no future.

So your religion's a self-help or psychotherapeutic modality, as opposed to an ontological truth?
My rejection of falsehood and refusal to believe the irrational have nothing to do with my accomplishments pr satisfaction with life.
This comment just shows me this truth:
”Therefore take heed how you hear. For whoever has, to him more will be given; and whoever does not have, even what he seems to have will be taken from him.”“
‭‭Luke‬ ‭8‬:‭18‬ ‭NKJV‬‬
You can’t even understand what I’m saying and twist it and shows me you have no light in you and just project your self god falsehood on other people, it’s obvious.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
No that’s what you have, I have Jesus Christ,
Risen from the Dead, the Holy Spirit and power to live a Holy Life pleasing to God, access to the very presence of God by the blood of the Lamb, Eternal life now and always.
But there is no evidence for any of this. You have mythology written in a book. What makes this mythology any more believable than Egyptian, Norse. or Aztec mythology?
What objective, empirical evidence do you base this on?

Last edited:

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
This comment just shows me this truth:
”Therefore take heed how you hear. For whoever has, to him more will be given; and whoever does not have, even what he seems to have will be taken from him.”“
‭‭Luke‬ ‭8‬:‭18‬ ‭NKJV‬‬
You can’t even understand what I’m saying and twist it and shows me you have no light in you and just project your self god falsehood on other people, it’s obvious.
I'm not twisting it. You opened the door. You asked about the utility of atheism vs theism. I replied that I was concerned with truth, not utility.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
But there is no evidence for any of this. You have mythology written in a book. What makes this mythology any more believable than Egyptian, Norse. or Aztec mythology?
What objective, empirical evidence do you base this on?
No… that would be an opinion.

What makes it believable was the truth that there was an empty tomb and that the Jewish leaders and the Romans couldn’t produce the body of the Messiah.

Kenny

Premium Member
I'm not twisting it. You opened the door. You asked about the utility of atheism vs theism. I replied that I was concerned with truth, not utility.
what would your definition of “truth” be? I would even venture to say that truth has utility.

What makes it believable was the truth that there was an empty tomb and that the Jewish leaders and the Romans couldn’t produce the body of the Messiah.
Yeah, there is that… people have been trying to deny that fact since He rose from the dead, even today, tried bribery, jailing the Apostles, threats, martyred and still Jesus Christ is alive and speaking.

Last edited:

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member

But the empty tomb stories are just more stories. The gospels have four different accounts of the discovery. Include the non canonical gospels and you have more -- or none.
What makes the story of Jesus' execution and resurrection any different from the stories of death and resurrection from a dozen other religious mythologies?

Kenny

Premium Member
But the empty tomb stories are just more stories. The gospels have four different accounts of the discovery. Include the non canonical gospels and you have more -- or none.

That is opinion and does not represent the first hand witnesses and the deposition given to Luke. Non-canonical are statements by those who are first-hand witnesses. (added) - Different accounts simply gives us a more complete picture.

What makes the story of Jesus' execution and resurrection any different from the stories of death and resurrection from a dozen other religious mythologies?

One is historical and the others mythological.

Last edited:

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
what would your definition of “truth” be? I would even venture to say that truth has utility.
Truth is ontological accuracy. It may or may not be utilitarian.

Religious doctrine has a long history of usage for social control, and maintenance of the economic hierarchy, by those in power.

Kenny

Premium Member
Truth is ontological accuracy. It may or may not be utilitarian.

Can you give me an example of it not being utilitarian?
Religious doctrine has a long history of usage for social control, and maintenance of the economic hierarchy, by those in power.
That is true. But any doctrine can be used for social control et al. I’m not sure of the relevance.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
That is opinion and does not represent the first hand witnesses and the deposition given to Luke. Non-canonical are statements by those who are first-hand witnesses.
What witnesses? There are four different stories about who went to the tomb, what was encountered there, and what was done afterwards.
One is historical and the others mythological.
How do you determine which is which -- or if any of the tales are historical?