• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

God

Paroxys

Metaphysical Ruminator
We know that everything is energy. Glance close enough at matter and the energy is apparent - molecules, atoms, electrons, quarks.. little flickers of light that appear to be all places at once.

Yes I believe 'everything' is conscious. We do not know everything there is to know about human intelligence.

First off, we don't KNOW that everything is energy. All we KNOW is the evidence OBSERVED by current modern science SUGGESTS that everything is, or can be converted into energy. A very very important distinction. It may very well be the case that something without energy can exist, we'd just have no way of knowing of it.

Secondly, how can you just propose that "everything" is conscious? I'm not even convinced that humans are conscious, and as psychology, economics, and other social sciences advance, our "consciousness" is becoming less and less apparent.

Lastly, sure, we may not know everything to know about human intelligence, but this bites into my first argument, how can you truly KNOW? What if our criteria for determining whether we truly know is flawed? Then how can we KNOW?

I don't claim to know everything, rather I'm (almost) claiming the opposite, that we know nothing.

Beaudreaux

No, sorry, poor phrasing on my part. The hatred is one of God's experiences. Just like you experience your emotions without being defined by any one.
I am fascinated by Pantheism, but I must say pondering these kinds of questions always ends up with me staring at my navel after a few shots and wondering if I'm still here. It's deep stuff.

Doesn't the concept of experience mandate duality? Don't I have to experience something? If God is everything then what is there for Him to experience?

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
I believe.... God is bigger than most religions realize & there is only one true God. God is every Atom & Molecule & Quark, God is your PC and the desk it sits on, God is Me & You, God is all of our thoughts, God is every Heaven & Hell... every religion, God is the Trees & Rocks & Oceans, God is the Earth & Solar System, God is the Galaxy & Universe - every Universe and every dream, God is - All That Is. Debate anyone?
Please try not to take offense at this, as it's not meant to cause it, just an observation, but... your suggestion seems not only unnecessary but also meaningless to me. I could re-word your paragraph thusly;

There are atoms, molecules and quarks, there is a PC and it sits upon a desk, there is you and there is me, we have thoughts and dreams, there are religions and many have concepts akin to heaven and hell, there are trees, rocks and oceans, there is an Earth and a Solar system, galaxies and the universe.

It loses nothing as essentially your post was a list of objects/concepts with "God is" prefixed to them.
God seems, from my perspective, an unnecessary addition; an undefined non-reality that could be replaced by any imaginary concept, such as Zeus or Fred Flintstone or even;

I believe.... Badgers are bigger than most religions realize & there is only one true Badger King. Badgers are every Atom & Molecule & Quark, Badgers are your PC and the desk it sits on, Badgers are Me & You, Badgers are all of our thoughts, Badgers are every Heaven & Hell... every religion, Badgers are the Trees & Rocks & Oceans, Badgers are the Earth & Solar System, Badgers are the Galaxy & Universe - every Universe and every dream, Badgers are - All That Is. Debate anyone?

See my point? Without defining God in its own right, the addition of the concept to extant knowledge of the natural world is pointless and irrational.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
I am fascinated by Pantheism, but I must say pondering these kinds of questions always ends up with me staring at my navel after a few shots and wondering if I'm still here. It's deep stuff.
LOL

Doesn't the concept of experience mandate duality? Don't I have to experience something?
I don't think so.

If God is everything then what is there for Him to experience?
Itself. Thought, emotion, exploration of concepts. All the little things that add up to a self.

Judgment

Halcyon: See my point? Without defining God in its own right, the addition of the concept to extant knowledge of the natural world is pointless and irrational.

Who said tha I was rational? I believe that our Reality is created with our thoughts, feelings, emotions and most importantly Beliefs - change your beliefs and the world literally changes around you (lucid dreamers are well aware of this - when we dream our thoughts are instantly materialized - when it 'appears' that we are awake our thoughts are materialized in exactly the same way - there is just a delay involved. This is a shared universal dream - one where we feel hunger and pain - but a dream none the less) - Your thoughts are as alive as the wind blowing around the leaves in a tree, as alive as the flowers in a garden. Your thoughts have a fundamental effect on all that is around you - they are not separate from me - sitting here in NJ or separate from the clouds in the sky. Our conscious mind has taught itself to block out inner knowledge - that very inner knowledge is our very spirit - and our spirit can indeed 'help' but we are not listening. Put no one's words above your own inner knowledge and Understating. Sometimes the answers to the most difficult questions are the more simple answers.

Judgment

Paroxys: First off, we don't KNOW that everything is energy. All we KNOW is the evidence OBSERVED by current modern science SUGGESTS that everything is, or can be converted into energy. A very very important distinction. It may very well be the case that something without energy can exist, we'd just have no way of knowing of it.

Secondly, how can you just propose that "everything" is conscious? I'm not even convinced that humans are conscious, and as psychology, economics, and other social sciences advance, our "consciousness" is becoming less and less apparent.

Lastly, sure, we may not know everything to know about human intelligence, but this bites into my first argument, how can you truly KNOW? What if our criteria for determining whether we truly know is flawed? Then how can we KNOW?

I don't claim to know everything, rather I'm (almost) claiming the opposite, that we know nothing.

Well of course... I could be wrong.

The God I speak of has no name, does not want to be worshiped and praised. We are all part of this God.. so, this judgement is coming directly from US... and I fear we do not like what we see.

gnomon

Who said tha I was rational? I believe that our Reality is created with our thoughts, feelings, emotions and most importantly Beliefs - change your beliefs and the world literally changes around you (lucid dreamers are well aware of this - when we dream our thoughts are instantly materialized - when it 'appears' that we are awake our thoughts are materialized in exactly the same way - there is just a delay involved. This is a shared universal dream - one where we feel hunger and pain - but a dream none the less) - Your thoughts are as alive as the wind blowing around the leaves in a tree, as alive as the flowers in a garden. Your thoughts have a fundamental effect on all that is around you - they are not separate from me - sitting here in NJ or separate from the clouds in the sky. Our conscious mind has taught itself to block out inner knowledge - that very inner knowledge is our very spirit - and our spirit can indeed 'help' but we are not listening. Put no one's words above your own inner knowledge and Understating. Sometimes the answers to the most difficult questions are the more simple answers.

Are you stating that we create our own reality?

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
Who said tha I was rational?
No one, just my thoughts on your statement seeing as I saw no debate question as such. :)

I believe that our Reality is created with our thoughts, feelings, emotions and most importantly Beliefs - change your beliefs and the world literally changes around you (lucid dreamers are well aware of this - when we dream our thoughts are instantly materialized - when it 'appears' that we are awake our thoughts are materialized in exactly the same way - there is just a delay involved. This is a shared universal dream - one where we feel hunger and pain - but a dream none the less) - Your thoughts are as alive as the wind blowing around the leaves in a tree, as alive as the flowers in a garden. Your thoughts have a fundamental effect on all that is around you - they are not separate from me - sitting here in NJ or separate from the clouds in the sky.
Fair enough. I disagree though, I personally believe in an objective reality that exists externally and independently of ourselves.

Judgment

Gotta run for a bit...

Just to be clear - I only started this thread to explain 'my beliefs' on God, Religion, birth and Death. For all that disagree - all the better. It then makes for an interesting debate..