• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Historical Accuracy in Scripture

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
:facepalm: What do you think is more feasible: that I show you that my God exists,
... or that you show me that the more than 300 million gods of Hinduism exist?:facepalm:
So I take that as a no from your side. You cannot or will not state the many many reasons you say that shows that your God exists. Correct?
If you remember, this discussion happened because you claimed that you can demonstrate the truth of Bible's Genesis and flood accounts. I am interested in how you are going to do that. Since I have claimed no such thing regarding any Hindu scripture here, even if I could, why would I care demonstrate the truth of Hinduism here in this thread? I am not looking to convince you or to convert you. If you are interested, please create a separate thread in religious debates or QandA, and I will reply.
Also, you saw Hinduism and you immediately went to 300 million God's didn't you? Which part of my statement about monism did you not understand?
:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Forcing and also coercing people to get the vaccine is against the Nuremberg code that says:

The voluntary consent of the human subject is absolutely essential. This means that the person involved should have legal capacity to give consent; should be so situated as to be able to exercise free power of choice, without the intervention of any element of force, fraud, deceit, duress, overreaching, or other ulterior form of constraint or coercion; and should have sufficient knowledge and comprehension of the elements of the subject matter involved as to enable him to make an understanding and enlightened decision. This latter element requires that before the acceptance of an affirmative decision by the experimental subject there should be made known to him the nature, duration, and purpose of the experiment; the method and means by which it is to be conducted; all inconveniences and hazards reasonably to be expected; and the effects upon his health or person which may possibly come from his participation in the experiment. The duty and responsibility for ascertaining the quality of the consent rests upon each individual who initiates, directs, or engages in the experiment. It is a personal duty and responsibility which may not be delegated to another with impunity.
I think you're oversimplifying. Humans can't live together in society without coercion. We mandate which side of the street to drive on, when to stop and go. We mandate seatbelts and front brakes. We mandate multiple childhood vaccinations to attend school, we mandate the education itself. We mandate safety standards, food and water inspection, building codes,&al.
Are these all illegitimate? Again, what makes a law or regulation legitimate?
I'd say laws should be tailored to need and prevention of harm. They should be functional while impacting freedom as little as possible.

Were the covid restrictions functional? Did their benefit outweigh their restrictiveness?
If unvaccinated, unmasked individuals posed a real and serious public threat; why would proportional restrictions be wrong? Why would they be more objectionable than closing a flooded road or evacuating a town about to be engulfed in a forest fire?
Firing people, or preventing them to move is coercing, if done to make people accept the shot.
Weigh the costs and benefits.
I think it depends on what is the law. But, for example law that says, don't murder, has obviously purpose to prevent murder. I think laws that all people can agree on are legitimate. For example don't murder, no one wants to be murdered, so it is a legitimate law. And in all cases, I think the law should be equal for all so that, if for example a world leader brakes the law, he gets the same punishment as anyone
One may create the same lethal effect either by direct or indirect means, and by either commission or omission. Regulations should be based on analysis of complex and multi step effects. Knee-jerk regs risk unintended consequences.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Interesting. But I don't see that your deity has any power over anyone other than Hindus.

The God of the Bible has displayed his power throughout all of human history over the world empires that existed.

Can you cite any historical event where your God(s) have changed human history, and there is a record of that historical event outside of Hindu writings?
I, also, identify as Hindu, but have not chosen to create any deities. Plus, in the 3rd-state reality I'm conscious of, evidence of an actual God is lacking. The usual proofs and arguments for God all prove faulty or illogical in various ways.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The teachings versus accuracy disjunction is simply ridiculous.
It is like saying what is more important: the heat or the light of the sun?
What is important is how the facts/claims/færie stories are applied. Instructive is OK, mandated orthodoxy and behavior is not.
Æsop's fables never generated a St Bartholomew's Day massacre.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
You´re watching too many animations for atheist philosophers :rolleyes:
I confess to being interested in the answer. It's just that no one seems to know it.

Instead, the only way gods are known to exist is as concepts and things imagined in individual brains.

As I said, they don't even have a description appropriate to a real entity. Instead they get defined by imaginary qualities like omnipotence, omniscience, omnipresence, perfection, being infinite, being eternal, that kind of thing. (How does God know there's nothing [he] doesn't know [he] doesn't know? How does God know [he] didn't just pop into existence with the rest of the universe last Thursday? How does God know [he] isn't just a dream or notion in, let's say, a human brain?)

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
:facepalm: What do you think is more feasible: that I show you that my God exists,
... or that you show me that the more than 300 million gods of Hinduism exist?:facepalm:
Well, given no Hindu here has made any claims about their gods' impact on the world, I would say it not only more feasible, but the onus is on you to show us your God exists.

I think you're oversimplifying. Humans can't live together in society without coercion. We mandate which side of the street to drive on, when to stop and go. We mandate seatbelts and front brakes. We mandate multiple childhood vaccinations to attend school, we mandate the education itself. We mandate safety standards, food and water inspection, building codes,&al.
Are these all illegitimate? Again, what makes a law or regulation legitimate?
I'd say laws should be tailored to need and prevention of harm. They should be functional while impacting freedom as little as possible.
So, do you mean the Nuremberg code was stupid and wrong?

Legitimate can be anything that is lawful. But not all that is legitimate is necessary good.
Were the covid restrictions functional? Did their benefit outweigh their restrictiveness?
I think they were wrong and against the Nuremberg code.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Interesting. But I don't see that your deity has any power over anyone other than Hindus.
The Hindu God is "Brahman", which in Hindi can be interpreted essentially as "God".

From a Hindu source: Brahman is a Vedic Sanskrit word, and it is conceptualized in Hinduism, states Paul Deussen, as the "creative principle which lies realized in the whole world".

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
"creative principle which lies realized in the whole world".
That may not exactly correspond with the concept of a God. :D
Science is finding the Answer, through the Ancient Mythologies and things.
Yes, at times they are helpful. One such which helped me is 'Nasadiya Sukta' of RigVeda.
I think laws that all people can agree on are legitimate. For example don't murder, no one wants to be murdered, so it is a legitimate law. And in all cases, I think the law should be equal for all ..
In a democracy, we delegate our power to our chosen representative. What the representatives then collectively decide is supposed to be our will.

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Gone into? Is not Turiya the substrate on which the other three states appear? Can an wave go into the water?
True, calm water, no wave.

MiscCalm1-AS.jpg