• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Historical Accuracy in Scripture

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The Hindu God is "Brahman", which in Hindi can be interpreted essentially as "God".

From a Hindu source: Brahman is a Vedic Sanskrit word, and it is conceptualized in Hinduism, states Paul Deussen, as the "creative principle which lies realized in the whole world".
I'd take issue here. Brahman is not a Personage, entity, or even a thing. It has no features and "exists" in no time or place.
If it's a God, it's an ineffable one, unlike any divine personage I'm aware of, from any other religion..

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
The Hindu God is "Brahman", which in Hindi can be interpreted essentially as "God".
Not exactly. "Brahman" is a neuter term that points to the ultimate reality or highest principle. For Brahman to be referenced as God, there would be qualities added, i.e. Saguna Brahman (Brahman with qualities). Deities would be considered Saguna Brahman.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
That may not exactly correspond with the concept of a God. :D and noting he had a puzzled look on his face and asked if he could help
I agree, but it certainly can as Gandhi stated. When my close friend studied Hinduism for a summer about 50 years ago, he went to a Hindu household that had a picture of Jesus on the wall, and the husband noting he had a puzzled look on his face and asked if he could help. He then explained that his household does believe that Jesus was one of the manifestations of Brahman.

As you're very much aware of I'm sure, defining "Hinduism" is a real bugger, so I'm careful to cloak my words cautiously, thus not assuming much of anything. I couldn't help but laugh as one Hindu theologian I read decades ago, when asked to define it, said that it's probably best to just say that it's a complex and highly varied religion that developed first in the Hindus River area and leave it at that.

metis

I'd take issue here. Brahman is not a Personage, entity, or even a thing. It has no features and "exists" in no time or place.
If it's a God, it's an ineffable one, unlike any divine personage I'm aware of, from any other religion..
I'm fully aware of that, but I could also "take issue" with your description. :shrug:

IMO, any concept of Brahman (or "God") is seriously problematic right from the get-go, with some like Spinoza believing that "God" may be the energy of creation and possibly be in all forms of "Nature", which he used as another name for God. Einstein said he believed in "Spinoza's God", but that doesn't prove much of anything of course.

metis

Not exactly. "Brahman" is a neuter term that points to the ultimate reality or highest principle. For Brahman to be referenced as God, there would be qualities added, i.e. Saguna Brahman (Brahman with qualities). Deities would be considered Saguna Brahman.
See my post above.

metis

Why is it seriously problematic right from the get-go?
Because I believe "God" is beyond our abilities to objectively understand.

I believe in Brahman [or "God"] not because of objective evidence but subjective experiences I've had that defy my ability to objectively know why these kept happening to me. I have a science background and profession, thus I'm not much prone to superstition. But what happened over a two-year period shook me to my very core.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I am a Hindu. I believe in a monistic ultimate reality that is simultaneously transcendent and immanent in all things and all beings that is called the Brahman. The world we see and the self ie I that we experience in day to day life are a set if conditionally dependent phenomenal structures that arise out of this unitary reality and do not have an independent existence apart from it. The technical term in Sanskrit is "bhava" or modes of Brahman. This reality can be experienced directly by spiritual practices discussed in many Indian scriptural traditions ( including Hinduism but also Buddhism, Jainism etc) and also in less structured form in other mystical traditions throughout the world. I have provided my reasons in many earlier threads, this is not the thread to discuss them.
Now over to you.

Interesting. But I don't see that your deity has any power over anyone other than Hindus.
Elli G., Sayak is a monist. That means that he is not really different from his deity, only conditionally.
I too am a monist Hindu though an atheist, my view differs from that of Sayak.
My view does not accept a deity, but accepts no difference between 'what exists in the universe' and myself. I am totally 'that' without any reservation.
IMHO, you need to know about monism. Abrahamic logic does not work in Hinduism.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
.. as Gandhi stated.
He then explained that his household does believe that Jesus was one of the manifestations of Brahman.
I couldn't help but laugh as one Hindu theologian I read decades ago, when asked to define it, said that it's probably best to just say that it's a complex and highly varied religion that developed first in the Hindus River area and leave it at that.
That does not work with me. Gandhi may have said whatever he said. I folow Buddha's advice in Kesamutti Sutta (Wikipedia):
"nor upon another's seeming ability (bhabba-rūpatāya),
nor upon the consideration, The monk is our teacher (samaṇo no garū)."

Yeah, everything that exists in the world is Brahman only, even a Dog. Krishna said in Gita:
"A learned and gentle brāhmiṇ, a cow, an elephant, a dog and a dog-eater (outcaste), the wise see them all as the same." BG 5.18
I am not that wise, I am just an ordinary orthodox Hindu, I stick to my tradition. What the husband in that household said was his opinion.

The person whom your friend asked to define Hinduism was confused if he could not define it (no need to laugh). I will define it as the "Linux of religions", giving you complete freedom of belief, no compulsion to worship this or that, the only condition being that one must fulfill his 'dharma' (duty). That is the operating system kernel in Hinduism.

metis

That does not work with me. Gandhi may have said whatever he said. I folow Buddha's advice in Kesamutti Sutta (Wikipedia):
"nor upon another's seeming ability (bhabba-rūpatāya),
nor upon the consideration, The monk is our teacher (samaṇo no garū)."

Yeah, everything that exists in the world is Brahman only, even a Dog. Krishna said in Gita:
"A learned and gentle brāhmiṇ, a cow, an elephant, a dog and a dog-eater (outcaste), the wise see them all as the same." BG 5.18
I am not that wise, I am just an ordinary orthodox Hindu, I stick to my tradition. What the husband in that household said was his opinion.

The person whom your friend asked to define Hinduism was confused if he could not define it (no need to laugh). I will define it as the "Linux of religions", giving you complete freedom of belief, no compulsion to worship this or that, the only condition being that one must fulfill his 'dharma' (duty). That is the operating system kernel in Hinduism.
You're answering as you have definitive answers, which begs the question how do you know these to be true? As a scientist, I can't do that, and that carries over into my religious "drifts" as well.

IMO, certainty is the enemy of serious theology.

Firenze

Premium Member
Does it matter if if the stories in religious scripture actually took place?

What is more important in scripture, historical accuracy or the lessons that can be learned from it?

Discuss.
As the crucifixion and resurrection claims are the foundation of the religion, historical accuracy is obviously critical. And those claims fail miserably. First, crucifixion was meant as a stark warning to others. Bodies were left to rot on the cross. It's ludicrous to think that Pilate or any other Roman official would EVER agree to letting Joseph take the body of Jesus down so soon - and certainly not to take it to a tomb for a decent burial. And since the crucifixion story is clearly wrong, I find the resurrection contradictions irrelevant.

lukethethird

unknown member
If you don't understand the meaning and import of the question, bow out of the conversation. At the very least it will give you more time to learn the meaning of "oxymoron."
I understand just fine thank you very much. If you can provide me with an example of historical accuracy in scripture, please do.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member

Even otherwise there are many contradictions in the Bible, list provided vide post
#25 of our friend Valjean link:
https://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~wwu/YaBBAttachments/101_Contradictions_In_The_Bible.pdf
#366 :

Bible contradictions

79.Apart from Jesus did anyone else ascend to heaven?
(a) No (John 3:13)
(b) Yes. “And Elijah went up by a whirlwind into heaven” (2 Kings 2:11)
https://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~wwu/YaBBAttachments/101_Contradictions_In_The_Bible.pdf

Regards

Last edited:

paarsurrey

Veteran Member

Bible contradictions

80.Who was high priest when David went into the house of God and ate the consecrated bread?
(a) Abiathar (Mark 2:26)
(b) Ahimelech, the father of Abiathar (I Samuel 1:1; 22:20)

Such contradictions of the NT Bible loudly speak that NT Bible was neither narrated/authored by Jesus/Yeshua- the truthful Israelite Messiah nor inspired by G-d, please, right?

Regards

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The truth is that I'm not interested in your Byzantine diatribes ... but if you want someone to believe something you say, stop your drama and start presenting real evidence.

As for me, that was all I have to tell you.
Good bye. :)
Byzantine diatribes? Drama?! Please explain.
I think my posts are pretty clear, and the questions I raise relevant.
What beliefs do you have an issue with? List some and I'll attempt to support them.