• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

hitler was a genious

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Of course Hitler was a genius, he would have to have been in order to achieve the amount of power and influence that he did.

You don't think people can rise to power for some reason other than their intelligence? How do you explain Sarah Palin, then? Gawd, for that matter, how do you explain 8 out of every 10 politicians?

dust1n

Zindīq
You don't think people can rise to power for some reason other than their intelligence? How do you explain Sarah Palin, then? Gawd, for that matter, how do you explain 8 out of every 10 politicians?

Well, they were more born into power. Hitler literally seized it. Imagine some radical average guy coming unto to television, giving a great speech, and slowly gaining power against our established power, being voted in, and then making the country a dictatorship. That is extra-ordinary by definition.

But, I think, most people would consider someone who kills at all as not being a genius, because, after all, why would a genius need to kill? Does genius necessitate moral scope? That's the million dollar question.

A

angellous_evangellous

ok ok i know what your thinking and no, i don't agree with what he did and how he did it, it was raw evil and not right whatsoever no matter how it is put across and told, however the way that he got to power was pure genious and i'm not sure what other peoples views are on this. im open to suggestions but bare in mind what i said hitler and his nazi ways were not right, very very far from it!

If he were a genius, he'd still be alive.

A

angellous_evangellous

[I love how "genius" is mis-spelled in the OP]

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Well, they were more born into power. Hitler literally seized it. Imagine some radical average guy coming unto to television, giving a great speech, and slowly gaining power against our established power, being voted in, and then making the country a dictatorship. That is extra-ordinary by definition.

But, I think, most people would consider someone who kills at all as not being a genius, because, after all, why would a genius need to kill? Does genius necessitate moral scope? That's the million dollar question.
I think he was a political genius. That doesn't mean he was morally enlightened, though.

I think people are (mistakenly) assuming that "genius" means expertise in all areas. The way I see it, it's merely an acknowledgement of exceptional expertise in one field, which Hitler undeniably had.

A

angellous_evangellous

I think he was a political genius. That doesn't mean he was morally enlightened, though.

I think people are (mistakenly) assuming that "genius" means expertise in all areas. The way I see it, it's merely an acknowledgement of exceptional expertise in one field, which Hitler undeniably had.

It seems to me that Hitler was a blunt instrument.

He was not responsible for anti-Semitism in Germany - he merely took advantage of it and took control of the state legally, with the brilliant minds of others.

Hitler may have been a dictator, but he was nothing without his advisors, generals, and the SS.

Cypress

Dragon Mom
What I really would like to see is an analysis of Hilter from the psychiatric point of view.
Is there any?

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
The same could be said for your current "Campaigner-in-Chief", Barack Obama. It sounds more like you are describing the state known as idiot savant though.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
It seems to me that Hitler was a blunt instrument.

He was not responsible for anti-Semitism in Germany - he merely took advantage of it and took control of the state legally, with the brilliant minds of others.

Hitler may have been a dictator, but he was nothing without his advisors, generals, and the SS.
Again, I think you're expanding the scope of "genius." The fact he was a political genius does not imply he was even a competent general.

Though I'm wondering if "political" is the right qualifier. Perhaps "charismatic?"

A more benign example for illustration would be Sheldon from the Big Bang Theory: a brilliant physicist who completely fails to understand social interaction.

A

angellous_evangellous

Again, I think you're expanding the scope of "genius." The fact he was a political genius does not imply he was even a competent general.

Though I'm wondering if "political" is the right qualifier. Perhaps "charismatic?"

A more benign example for illustration would be Sheldon from the Big Bang Theory: a brilliant physicist who completely fails to understand social interaction.

I don't think so. The only thing that we can measure Hitler's "genius" is what he did.

We can't give him credit for his rise to power.

We can't given him credit for the victories of the German Army.

We can't give him the credit for the precision of the SS.

We can't give him credit for continuous scientific efforts and contributions to the war effort.

In fact, on most of these points, Hitler was a hinderance. He's more like a George Bush than an Alexander the Great. Everything that makes Hitler a captivating historical figure is not really his accomplishment.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
I don't think so. The only thing that we can measure Hitler's "genius" is what he did.
Agreed.

We can't give him credit for his rise to power.
You don't think his charisma, oration, and ability to inspire had anything to do with that?

We can't given him credit for the victories of the German Army.

We can't give him the credit for the precision of the SS.

We can't give him credit for continuous scientific efforts and contributions to the war effort.

In fact, on most of these points, Hitler was a hinderance. He's more like a George Bush than an Alexander the Great. Everything that makes Hitler a captivating historical figure is not really his accomplishment.
With the exception of your first point, all this makes me think you're not hearing me at all. :(

I didn't try to give him credit for any of these things.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Hitler was certainly a genius in manipulating peoples emotions in to action.

on the way to becoming the Chancellor he played the German power brokers and politicians like simpletons, one against the other leaving himself in top spot.
From there he quickly pulled Germany out of Hyper inflation and created the greatest motorway net work the world had ever seen.
It connected Germany with all major European centres of power.
He rebuilt the manufacturing and chemical centres of Germany in such a way as to foresee the needs of a great war machine.
He re-armed Germany against the WW1 armistice agreement. with out raising a whimper from his future targets.

He rose to Total Power with the adulation of the people.

Had he been able to avoid war with England, he would have conquered all of Europe and North Africa. including the middle east and Turkey.
Up to that point he was in total command of the military.

From there his shortcomings showed them selves to include madness. and the rest was all down hill.
To attack Russia and get embroiled with the USA was pure folly.
His policy of slaughtering all Jews had hardly had any effect on the decisions of the allies in conducting the war. It was not a policy that was totally rejected even by all his enemies. ( they simply say "not me" today)

Was he a genius?...Probably a very flawed one.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Hitler was certainly a genius in manipulating peoples emotions in to action.

on the way to becoming the Chancellor he played the German power brokers and politicians like simpletons, one against the other leaving himself in top spot.
From there he quickly pulled Germany out of Hyper inflation and created the greatest motorway net work the world had ever seen.
It connected Germany with all major European centres of power.
He rebuilt the manufacturing and chemical centres of Germany in such a way as to foresee the needs of a great war machine.
He re-armed Germany against the WW1 armistice agreement. with out raising a whimper from his future targets.

He rose to Total Power with the adulation of the people.

Had he been able to avoid war with England, he would have conquered all of Europe and North Africa. including the middle east and Turkey.
Up to that point he was in total command of the military.

From there his shortcomings showed them selves to include madness. and the rest was all down hill.
To attack Russia and get embroiled with the USA was pure folly.
His policy of slaughtering all Jews had hardly had any effect on the decisions of the allies in conducting the war. It was not a policy that was totally rejected even by all his enemies. ( they simply say "not me" today)

Was he a genius?...Probably a very flawed one.
Yeah, this is what I'm saying. You did better at it, though. Frubals.

A

angellous_evangellous

You don't think his charisma, oration, and ability to inspire had anything to do with that?

In actuality, no.

He could not do anything without the legal guidance of the people who followed him. He only needed to inspire about ten people, who I think had their own ambitions.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
In actuality, no.

He could not do anything without the legal guidance of the people who followed him. He only needed to inspire about ten people, who I think had their own ambitions.
Well, I disagree. :)

Perhaps that was all he needed, but it isn't all he did. He rallied a nation, and he was good at it.