• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Homeopathy is bunk!

katiafish

consciousness incarnate
Homeopathy works for me. Also for my kids, my husband, his parents and my granma. It even works for my Mother, who is morbidly religious. And for my sister who is an atheist. Also for my adopted granma, homeopathy has cured her heart condition, prolonging her life. But then who am I to talk, I am a reiki master...

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Homeopathy works for me. Also for my kids, my husband, his parents and my granma. It even works for my Mother, who is morbidly religious. And for my sister who is an atheist. Also for my adopted granma, homeopathy has cured her heart condition, prolonging her life.
How do you know? How do you tell the difference between the effect of homeopathy and:

- the effect of other treatments you're undertaking at the same time
- the natural ability of the body to heal itself
- non-homeopathic benefits that you might get through a homeopathic practitioner (e.g. general health advice)
- the placebo effect

But then who am I to talk, I am a reiki master...
I'm not sure how to take this.

gnomon

Homeopathy works for me. Also for my kids, my husband, his parents and my granma. It even works for my Mother, who is morbidly religious. And for my sister who is an atheist. Also for my adopted granma, homeopathy has cured her heart condition, prolonging her life. But then who am I to talk, I am a reiki master...

That's okay.

Reiki is a load as well.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
most pharmacuticals are derived from plants so it cant be where they get the remedies from...perhaps you dont like who its coming from

haight-hippie.jpg

gnomon

I want to know what the profit margin on oscillococcinum is. This BS flu remedy is sold for more than the symptom relievers, which is what Big Pharma provides, off the shelves yet it's "active ingredients" must have cost very, very little. The packaging alone probably far outstrips the cost of the actual "product".

I think if the damn thing worked as well as Boiron and the patsy, wannabe healer Dana Ullman state than Johnson & Johnson or Pfizer would be selling this crap right and left. Not that they don't necessarily sell some crap already.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Seems to me homeopathic remedies are potential bargains. While the initial purchase might be expensive, you can always dilute an ounce of the stuff in a barrel water and distribute the even more potent solution to all your friends and family -- a lifetime supply.

katiafish

consciousness incarnate
How do you know? How do you tell the difference between the effect of homeopathy and:

- the effect of other treatments you're undertaking at the same time
- the natural ability of the body to heal itself
- non-homeopathic benefits that you might get through a homeopathic practitioner (e.g. general health advice)
- the placebo effect

I'm not sure how to take this.

Erm, let me put it this way. I am not undertaking any other treatments apart from the energy healing that I am actually doing myself. I am observing the results and making the conclusions, just like anyone does, eg: I was not well prior taking remedies, i was well after taking them, hence it must have affected me in a positive way. And in my opinion, a lot of things that actually work have been labeled "bunk" and "placebo effect" by the very same pharmaceutical companies that make a good buck off the poor sleepers that believe if it is chemical, it must be good. Besides, funnily enough, a lot of the generic medicine that you are being sold actually have herbal base.

and lastly, take it in a spoon with some honey before bed, will do you a lot of good :)

gnomon

Erm, let me put it this way. I am not undertaking any other treatments apart from the energy healing that I am actually doing myself. I am observing the results and making the conclusions, just like anyone does, eg: I was not well prior taking remedies, i was well after taking them, hence it must have affected me in a positive way. And in my opinion, a lot of things that actually work have been labeled "bunk" and "placebo effect" by the very same pharmaceutical companies that make a good buck off the poor sleepers that believe if it is chemical, it must be good. Besides, funnily enough, a lot of the generic medicine that you are being sold actually have herbal base.

and lastly, take it in a spoon with some honey before bed, will do you a lot of good :)

Yes, a lot of remedies put out by the pharmaceutical companies have been labelled bunk.

So has reiki. And reiki practitioners make a good, shallow, deceiving buck off the people they swindle.

Generic medicine's have a herbal base? Don't you realize every doctor, pharmacist, chemist, student and basically every human being on this planet already know about all the medicines derived from herbs. Herbs that have been studied, tested and put through trials that serve medicinal purposes we call medicine!

Wow!

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Erm, let me put it this way. I am not undertaking any other treatments apart from the energy healing that I am actually doing myself.
By "the energy healing that I am actually doing myself", I take it you mean that you do undergo other treatment in parallel that you expect to be effective. If you've decided in the first place to attribute your getting better to something you're doing, why would you attribute it to homeopathy specifically and not to your reiki?

I am observing the results and making the conclusions, just like anyone does, eg: I was not well prior taking remedies, i was well after taking them, hence it must have affected me in a positive way.
... but as I pointed out before, everyone has a natural ability to heal on their own anyway. If I cut myself and then sing a song until my cut stops bleeding, it wasn't the song that did the clotting.

How do you know that the homeopathic remedy helped you to get well more quickly or better than you would have anyhow?

And in my opinion, a lot of things that actually work have been labeled "bunk" and "placebo effect" by the very same pharmaceutical companies that make a good buck off the poor sleepers that believe if it is chemical, it must be good.
Fine if you mistrust pharmaceutical companies, but a lot of actual bunk has been labelled "bunk", too.

BTW - do you deny that the placebo effect exists?

If I were to dig up studies where homeopathic "remedies" were shown to be no better than distilled water at actually healing people, would you consider this evidence that homeopathy isn't effective?

Besides, funnily enough, a lot of the generic medicine that you are being sold actually have herbal base.
And that's fine - I've got no issue in principle with herbal remedies. I agree that many of them are effective (some aren't, but many are). However, "herbal" and "homeopathic" aren't the same thing.

gnomon

Science-Based Medicine has some relevant talk on homeopathy this week.

Science-Based Medicine

A number of articles in their on homeopathy as well as one on the Council of Chiropractic Education dropping the term subluxation from it's standards.

katiafish

consciousness incarnate
By "the energy healing that I am actually doing myself", I take it you mean that you do undergo other treatment in parallel that you expect to be effective. If you've decided in the first place to attribute your getting better to something you're doing, why would you attribute it to homeopathy specifically and not to your reiki?

... but as I pointed out before, everyone has a natural ability to heal on their own anyway. If I cut myself and then sing a song until my cut stops bleeding, it wasn't the song that did the clotting.

How do you know that the homeopathic remedy helped you to get well more quickly or better than you would have anyhow?

Fine if you mistrust pharmaceutical companies, but a lot of actual bunk has been labelled "bunk", too.

BTW - do you deny that the placebo effect exists?

If I were to dig up studies where homeopathic "remedies" were shown to be no better than distilled water at actually healing people, would you consider this evidence that homeopathy isn't effective?

And that's fine - I've got no issue in principle with herbal remedies. I agree that many of them are effective (some aren't, but many are). However, "herbal" and "homeopathic" aren't the same thing.

I have noticed a very interesting trend of questioning that you seem to have, you ask a lot of questions and then criticize the answers, whilst not really providing any better answers yourself. How much exactly you personally know about homeopathy and what personal experience makes you come to the conclusion that it does not work? Come on, make some effort, prove everyone who believes in it to be wrong :)

gnomon

I have noticed a very interesting trend of questioning that you seem to have, you ask a lot of questions and then criticize the answers, whilst not really providing any better answers yourself. How much exactly you personally know about homeopathy and what personal experience makes you come to the conclusion that it does not work? Come on, make some effort, prove everyone who believes in it to be wrong :)

This is what we call a classic duck and evasion.

As a responsible homeopath and reiki practitioner you've certainly done the research. Haven't you?

And please don't tell us that you've "mastered" the level of Reiki that allows you to practice distance healing.

newhope101

I know many people that use Homeopathy effectively. Homeopathy does not replace mainstream medications but is a great point to start treating minor complaints, as a support to mainstream medicine, and as an alternative when mainstream medication proves ineffective. It has had many good results for some kinds of insomnia where mainstream meds do not work well.

Katiafish, I note gnomon classes your request for more than words as "duck and evasion". This is rather curious. Here are a couple of posters that are saying they find benefit in Homeopathy and this other lot appear to be calling us liars or unable to distinguish between effect and placebo. If people wish to stagnate with their heads buried in the ground that's no skin off our noses.

I agree some here are not open to discussion they already know it all.

gnomon

I know many people that use Homeopathy effectively. Homeopathy does not replace mainstream medications but is a great point to start treating minor complaints, as a support to mainstream medicine, and as an alternative when mainstream medication proves ineffective. It has had many good results for some kinds of insomnia where mainstream meds do not work well.

Katiafish, I note gnomon classes your request for more than words as "duck and evasion". This is rather curious. Here are a couple of posters that are saying they find benefit in Homeopathy and this other lot appear to be calling us liars or unable to distinguish between effect and placebo. If people wish to stagnate with their heads buried in the ground that's no skin off our noses.

No, it's called providing evidence.

I also note that the first people to respond speaking positively of homeopathy mentioned herbal remedies. Which just goes to show they do not even understand the meaning of the term.

Do you know the meaning of the term?

Also, I've been through the mill of recovery and watched too many people get hurt by spiritual healers, alternative medicine pushers and other BS practitioners.

And they say the same thing you do. "Our personal experience is good enough. We do not need any research to tell us anything." All before they proceeded to push their ******** on people who were in the most fragile mental state of their lives.

So tell me, do you know what you are talking about? Can you provide evidence? Case studies? Do you even know what it is?

Or are you just another bull****ter who gets irritated because when you are called out on your ******** you cannot defend it?

And spare us the personal story. People use personal stories to defend exorcisms, faith healing and abusing their children.

If people were able to notice the placebo effect it wouldn't be a placebo effect.

If you can, show from this thread an example of someone who believes homeopathy works, being open to the possibility that it doesn't.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation

I'm curious how you got to the point of classifying it that way. Some here practice homeopathy and claim that it works. Others ask how they know it's an actual effect of the homeopathy and not just the placebo effect. Then someone who practices it comes back with "Oh, yeah? Well, prove it's bunk then". It just doesn't make sense. All people like Penguin are asking is how people like katiafish know that the homeopathy they practice works due to something other than the placebo effect. Is that too much to ask?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I have noticed a very interesting trend of questioning that you seem to have, you ask a lot of questions and then criticize the answers, whilst not really providing any better answers yourself.
I already gave my answer: homeopathy doesn't work. Any actual benefit that people get comes from things other than little bottles of water or lactic acid pills.

How much exactly you personally know about homeopathy and what personal experience makes you come to the conclusion that it does not work?
For starters:

- Basic chemistry, specifically the fact that the dilutions involved in homeopathy often reduce the concentrations of the "active" ingredient to the point where the odds are against even one molecule of it being present in the solution.

- The fact that Hahnemann's hypotheses about the causes of disease (which form the basis of homeopathy) were rendered obsolete by the much better explanatory power of another competing theory: the germ theory of disease.

- Studies and meta-studies (for instance: Evidence of clinical efficacy of homeopathy. A met... [Eur J Clin Pharmacol. 2000] - PubMed result) that test homeopathic claims under actual experimental conditions, and show that it is ineffective.

Come on, make some effort, prove everyone who believes in it to be wrong :)
I don't need to. There's plenty of evidence against homeopathy if you just bother to look, and these people gave a terrific illustration of homeopathy's true effects in a demonstration earlier this year: The 10:23 'overdose' event | The 10:23 Campaign | #ten23

Edit: now that I've answered your questions, do you feel like answering my questions from before? For instance, how do you tell the difference between the effect of homeopathic "treatments" and the body's natural ability to heal?

katiafish

consciousness incarnate
I dont think you have answered my questions. You have just provided some junk from the sources I dont trust as your proof. I asked about personal experience :)