• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Homosexuality - Choice or Not?

Homosexuality - Choice or not?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
If ignoring psychological research is your priority, that's your business. It's rather silly to pretend the stance of the American Psychiatric Association amounts to little more than an opinion, though.

Don't you know, Jaymes, that all science is actually faith and all scientific consensus is actually dogma. Sheesh! I thought they taught you college kids that these days.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Oh silly Sunstone! If you want to become a homosexual, too, all you've got to do is choose!

IF I choose today by calling the International Homosexual Hot Line right now while operators are on duty, do I get a nifty set of steak knives for becoming a homosexual?

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
Excuse my ignorance but I always thought there was no concrete evidence that homosexuality is indeed genetic? :eek:

I know there have been studies on it but nothing I've read has anything conclusive. Somebody help me out here?

madhatter85

Transhumanist
You seem to be saying that no matter what evidence you have presented to you, you will ignore it in favor of your speculations. But why should I play that game, Madhatter? Why should I take the time to dig up sources for you when you probably won't even read them, but merely fall back on your illogical speculations that homosexuality is a choice.

nobody has posted any evidence, and i even stated in an earlier post i would read whatever is brought to me. and i will

unfortunately every singe one of you knows i'm right and won't ever be able to deny the fact that everything is a choice. you have a choice in all things. just because someone feels bad and wants to justify thier actions by saying "god made me this way" instead of accepting the plain and simple fact that Is is and always has been thier choice, I'm supposed to feel sorry for them?

Bishka

Veteran Member
that Is is and always has been thier choice, I'm supposed to feel sorry for them?

Do you know anyone that is GBLT? I mean personally, in you family? You have no room to speak unless you are or have someone close and have gone through their anguish with them.

I don't have a concrete opinion on this, but to just brush to the side like you do is disgusting.

jacquie4000

nobody has posted any evidence, and i even stated in an earlier post i would read whatever is brought to me. and i will

unfortunately every singe one of you knows i'm right and won't ever be able to deny the fact that everything is a choice. you have a choice in all things. just because someone feels bad and wants to justify thier actions by saying "god made me this way" instead of accepting the plain and simple fact that Is is and always has been thier choice, I'm supposed to feel sorry for them?

I don't think they would want you to feel sorry for them. However since you said you have no problem with them as you put it. Maybe you could respect them as people.

standing_alone

IF I choose today by calling the International Homosexual Hot Line right now while operators are on duty, do I get a nifty set of steak knives for becoming a homosexual?

Well, Sunstone, as your profile indicates you are male, you'd be getting a fine china tea set (the steak knives are for female converts to homosexuality).

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Excuse my ignorance but I always thought there was no concrete evidence that homosexuality is indeed genetic? :eek:

I know there have been studies on it but nothing I've read has anything conclusive. Somebody help me out here?

The evidence is pretty conclusive that it's not a choice, but the jury is still out on precisely what causes it. Lately, a good number of researchers seem to be leaning towards the notion that it's caused by hormonal events in the womb during fetal development.

Jaymes

The cake is a lie

There is, indeed, no evidence that homosexuality is genetic.

However the OP was asking for evidence that homosexuality wasn't a choice. Psychological associations agree that you can't control who you're attracted to. If you're attracted to men/women/both/neither, you're attracted to that, and that's that. (My, I used the word 'that' a lot there!)

It's a bit like saying I make a choice to be dislike to spicy food. I never made a conscious choice to hate spicy food, and if I wanted to I could eat spicy food every day and be utterly miserable because I hate it, but that doesn't change that I don't like it.
madhatter85 said:
unfortunately every singe one of you knows i'm right and won't ever be able to deny the fact that everything is a choice.
I am still waiting for you to show me where one person in this thread have said that actions are not a choice.

If you want to argue that I can choose to like spicy food when I hate it, go argue with the APA or something, because you clearly don't want to do anything other than go on about how you're right and we're all wrong, despite psychological research backing us up.

Quiddity

Simon Levay (biological scientist) says,

Although there are significant differences between the attitudes of lesbians and gay men it is clear that both groups are far more inclined to consider their sexual orientation a biological given than is the general population....Should we take these assertions seriously? Not entirely, of course. No one even remembers being born, let alone being born gay or straight. When a gay man, for example, says he was born gay he generally means that he felt different from other boys at the earliest age he can remember. Sometimes the difference involved sexual feelings, but more commonly it involved some kind of gender nonconformist or sex atypical traits-disliking rough and tumble play for example, that were not explicitly sexual. These differences, which have been verified in a number of ways suggest that sexual orientation is influenced by factors operating very early in life, but these factors could still consist of environmental factors such as parental treatment in the early postnatal period.

LeVay, Queer Science, 6.

You got so many varying opinions on this that when it comes down to the scientific method, there isn't anything conclusive. I know the APA has quite a few articles on it, but also speaks of it from more of a psychological perspective.

lizskid

BANNED

No, but didn't you know we get a toaster oven for turning you???

Mister_T

Forum Relic
Premium Member
If I practice it really really hard, do you think I can become a homosexual too?
I think I'll go ahead try out this whole gay thing tomorrow after lunch.

Seriously though MH, how do you "choose" who you're attracted to? It's hardwired into your system to be attracted to something. With your reasoning, everything is a choice: Avoiding a food that you find absolutely repulsive, having an attraction for your wife, etc.

Why don't people eat foods that makes them physically repulsive? Why didn't you marry someone who your were not attracted to? ;)

Quiddity

The evidence is pretty conclusive that it's not a choice, but the jury is still out on precisely what causes it. Lately, a good number of researchers seem to be leaning towards the notion that it's caused by hormonal events in the womb during fetal development.
Gotcha! That's what I understood as well.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member

Do you promise to read the evidence -- all of it that's submitted to you?

madhatter85

Transhumanist
Do you know anyone that is GBLT? I mean personally, in you family? You have no room to speak unless you are or have someone close and have gone through their anguish with them.

I don't have a concrete opinion on this, but to just brush to the side like you do is disgusting.

i know a few gay people and they know that it is thier choice to be how they are. why would there be anguish if it was normal? why so much drama?

It's thier choice to be who they want to be and the gay peopel i know, know it and accept it. one of them was my old boss when i worked at Lowes.

Quiddity

There is, indeed, no evidence that homosexuality is genetic.

However the OP was asking for evidence that homosexuality wasn't a choice. Psychological associations agree that you can't control who you're attracted to. If you're attracted to men/women/both/neither, you're attracted to that, and that's that. (My, I used the word 'that' a lot there!)

It's a bit like saying I make a choice to be dislike to spicy food. I never made a conscious choice to hate spicy food, and if I wanted to I could eat spicy food every day and be utterly miserable because I hate it, but that doesn't change that I don't like it.
I am still waiting for you to show me where one person in this thread have said that actions are not a choice.

If you want to argue that I can choose to like spicy food when I hate it, go argue with the APA or something, because you clearly don't want to do anything other than go on about how you're right and we're all wrong, despite psychological research backing us up.
I like APA, but I have my reservations about them as well. Personally, I wouldn't rely to heavily on what they say regarding "change". What if APA concluded you can change? Would it make a difference to you? I usually find the answer is "no". So what does it matter if it's genetic or a choice? Either way, it's something deep seated.

madhatter85

Transhumanist
I think I'll go ahead try out this whole gay thing tomorrow after lunch.

Seriously though MH, how do you "choose" who you're attracted to? It's hardwired into your system to be attracted to something. With your reasoning, everything is a choice: Avoiding a food that you find absolutely repulsive, having an attraction for your wife, etc.

Why don't people eat foods that makes them physically repulsive? Why didn't you marry someone who your were not attracted to? ;)

Cause it was my choice?

Aqualung

Tasty
It's is always a choice to make any action. to follow through with an urge, it is always a choice.
Homosexuality is a choice because it's an action. Actions are always choices. Therefore, homosexuality is a choice. That's kind of circular. Those who would say that homosexuality isn't a choice would say that it's more than just an action - it's an orientation integral to their self. Like how oranges "choose" to be orange but grass "chooses" to be green.

Status
Not open for further replies.