• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How can someone be a male and be a feminist at the same time?

sunni56

You are still misrepresenting my argument as disagreeing that women should take precautions altogether rather than just disagreeing that they should have to in normal circumstances, i.e., circumstances where rape isn't so common an occurrence as to be feared by women going about their everyday lives.

As for the evidence you're asking for, links to studies showing that sexual desire is far from being the primary motivator for rape have been posted in this thread, but you have yet to address or comment on any of them. You're just repeatedly asking for evidence that has already been provided.
Can you just answer the simple question? The proposition is very clear; since the rate of violence against women is so high in South Africa, women should take precautions. Agree or disagree? Very, very simple.

Well, you are denying that any male rapist in the world has their sexual desire as their motivating factor for rape. That is a big claim, and big claims require big evidence.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Can you just answer the simple question? The proposition is very clear; since the rate of violence against women is so high in South Africa, women should take precautions. Agree or disagree? Very, very simple.
I entirely disagree. South Africa is a civilized country.They rate seventh in crime worldwide, the United States rates first--and even in the United States, women should not have to protect themselves as a rule.

Last edited:

Alceste

Vagabond

Well, you are denying that any male rapist in the world has their sexual desire as their motivating factor for rape. That is a big claim, and big claims require big evidence.

What precautions should women take?

And what precautions should men take?

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member

Quite frankly, I'm not even sure the "precautions" you speak of would help reduce the rates of rape there much, if at all... whatever those are.

Firstly, it probably wouldn't make a difference to an armed rapist whether a woman knew self-defense techniques, for example. A firearm would threaten her life in any case.

Secondly, I'm in favor of people of both genders learning how to defend themselves, since that could potentially be very useful in certain situations even if they lived in a relatively safe country; however, what your arguments seem to suggest is that women in places where rape is common have some kind of obligation to learn how to defend themselves or else they're "stupid." That's what I disagree with; no one should have burdens placed on them just to be able to walk around safely and enjoy protection that should be provided to them anyway.

And I still wonder why you haven't addressed the links posted in this thread so far. If you really want evidence against your argument, then why haven't you bothered to address what you've been given so far?

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Fair enough. That's your opinion and you are entitled to have it despite my own opinion that you stand for a vile, disgusting, misogynistic maybe even racist point of view.
Rest assured, I don't.

Edit: I think the greater cruelty is to teach women that they have to fear men than to teach men and women to be free.

Last edited:

sunni56

Quite frankly, I'm not even sure the "precautions" you speak of would help reduce the rates of rape there much, if at all... whatever those are.

Firstly, it probably wouldn't make a difference to an armed rapist whether a woman knew self-defense techniques, for example. A firearm would threaten her life in any case.

Secondly, I'm in favor of people of both genders learning how to defend themselves, since that could potentially be very useful in certain situations even if they lived in a relatively safe country; however, what your arguments seem to suggest is that women in places where rape is common have some kind of obligation to learn how to defend themselves or else they're "stupid." That's what I disagree with; no one should have burdens placed on them just to be able to walk around safely and enjoy protection that should be provided to them anyway.

And I still wonder why you haven't addressed the links posted in this thread so far. If you really want evidence against your argument, then why haven't you bothered to address what you've been given so far?
I'm not really interested in reading an essay. I asked a simple question which you persistently refuse to answer, my theory is that you're pretty arrogant, but that's just my take on it. And as for producing evidence, it's quite clear that I've asked for evidence first from the outset, and yet you have produced none. And now you're trying save face by trying to respond with questions ad nauseum. Not buying it.

dust1n

Zindīq
You've been trying your hardest to make this discussion about pre-pubescent boys the focus of this discussion concerning rape (I don't know what your obsession with them is). It's biologically a fact that boys do not develop sexual urges until puberty begins. Moreover the instances of rape instigated by pre-pubescent boys is miniscule conpared to post-pubescent boys. Again, this isn't difficult to understand.
I'm sure there are teachers in South Africa who also can testify to the fact that pre-pubescent boys aren't violent. It's post-pubescent that's the issue over there, something which seems to evade you.

No it's not.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm not really interested in reading an essay. I asked a simple question which you persistently refuse to answer, my theory is that you're pretty arrogant, but that's just my take on it. And as for producing evidence, it's quite clear that I've asked for evidence first from the outset, and yet you have produced none. And now you're trying save face by trying to respond with questions ad nauseum. Not buying it.

I have already answered it more than once.

And as I said, more than one link has been presented to you so far:

See here from a report at the Center for Sex Offender Management.

No mention of anyone getting horny. It's an act of violence.

Sure I did. Here, try another:

Source

Care to address any of those?

sunni56

Again, you are denying that any male rapist in the world has their sexual desire as their motivating factor for rape. You can't hide from that big claim, no link that has been presented to me is evidence or proof of that claim. Now, I ask again and again, where is the evidence for that claim?

sunni56

The sources by the way are HILARIOUS! "Military Sex Offenders Registry" really? That's supposed to represent a study for worldwide rapists?! What about "supervision of sex offenders in the community" by the US department of justice? Absolutely laughable. But this is my personal favourite: "Sexual Violence in Armed Conflict: Understanding the Motivations". What a lazy bunch you guys are using these sources as a study on motivations of rapists worldwide. Pitiful and laughable.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
5. If you have evidence that there doesn't exist at least 1 man who raped due to them being horny, please provide it, I'l be waiting :)

And this, folks at RF, is a classic example of "moving the goalposts". Watch and learn. :D

sunni56

Here is the question: since the rate of violence against women is so high in South Africa, women should take precautions. Agree or disagree?

And above is your response. Where exactly have you responded to the question? Nowhere, there is no clear response. Cut out the BS.

sunni56

Care to provide evidence suggesting that ANY rape is sexually motivated? Where's your evidence?
hahahahaha let me just enjoy your attempt at proving that I "moved the goalposts" so to speak. Quickly changing the subject are we? I don't blame you. That was a pathetic attempt.

My opinion from the outset was that I have no idea whether or not any rape is sexually motivated. Lol at your attempt at misrepresenting my argument once more. What an absolute consistent failure.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Again, you are denying that any male rapist in the world has their sexual desire as their motivating factor for rape. You can't hide from that big claim, no link that has been presented to me is evidence or proof of that claim. Now, I ask again and again, where is the evidence for that claim?

This has already been answered, and I really don't see the need to reiterate what you've already been told many times so far.

I also wonder what difference it'd make to you whether or not there exists "at least 1 man who raped due to them being horny," since what's been posted so far clearly shows that other factors are far more commonly the motivation for rape than "being horny" is.

Here is the question: since the rate of violence against women is so high in South Africa, women should take precautions. Agree or disagree?

And above is your response. Where exactly have you responded to the question? Nowhere, there is no clear response. Cut out the BS.

There is:

Which part exactly do you find unclear in the bolded text?