• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How can you be a True Christian™ if you don't take the Eden story literally?

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
No, I believe "sin" is an immoral act considered to be a transgression against divine law.
Thank you for the clarification. It's just that the morality of the God of the bible is so alien to my own values. 'Divine law' would appear not only to countenance but to order such things as invasive war, massacres of surrendered populations, mass rape, human sacrifice, murderous religious intolerance, women as property, slavery as normal, and so on.

My own view is that it would be good if we could treat each other with decency, respect, inclusion and common sense instead.

leroy

For those of you who don't take the story of the Fall literally. Adam, Eve, Tree, Serpent, etc, how do you envision the Fall of Man happening? And if it didn't happen, what use is Jesus?
1 we are sinners

2 Jesus is paying for our sins

You don’t need to take literally the Eden story in order to accept 1 and 2

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
1 we are sinners

You state this as if it were true rather than making it clear that is what you believe because you are a Christian.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
1 we are sinners

What test will tell me whether any action or intention is a "sin" or not?

What distinguishes a sin from a crime for example ─ is double parking a sin?

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Thank you for the clarification. It's just that the morality of the God of the bible is so alien to my own values. 'Divine law' would appear not only to countenance but to order such things as invasive war, massacres of surrendered populations, mass rape, human sacrifice, murderous religious intolerance, women as property, slavery as normal, and so on.

My own view is that it would be good if we could treat each other with decency, respect, inclusion and common sense instead.
I agree, which is what I try to do. I try to emulate CHRIST. Hence the term CHRISTIAN.

leroy

You state this as if it were true rather than making it clear that is what you believe because you are a Christian.
Yes, my understanding of the OP is that Christianity is assumed to be true.

The author of the OP is simply asking how can a Christian deny genesis

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
And what happened immediately afterwards, according to the account in Matthew 21?
In verse 14…
“Also, blind and lame people came to him in the temple, and he cured them.”
If he had been in a “fit of rage,” as you said, do you think people would have approached him? In fact, one account says there were ‘boys in the Temple, saying “Save, we pray, the Son of David.”’

It’s always beneficial to look at context.
Look at Trump. People treat their idols differently from others. So yes, it could easily have happened. Trump regularly turns on his own supporters when they realize how he is a fraud and yet the Trumpettes still flocks to his name.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
You are wrong. I’ve stated my view on this a few times. It’s created quite a bit of diversity.

What I have said is that evolution has limits.
Your limits do not appear to exist. You have never shown that your "limits" are valid.

Now if you had any understanding of the science at all you would also realize that the evidence for evolution is massive. So massive that God would have had to have lied by planting false evidence from the genetic level on up. It is not just the fossil record that God would have had to have maliciously created. He would have to change the genomes of all life to make it look as if they were the product of evolution.

So why do you believe that God is a liar? You can't have it both ways. If the Genesis myths are true then God is a liar since all of the observable evidence refutes those myths.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Yes, my understanding of the OP is that Christianity is assumed to be true.

The author of the OP is simply asking how can a Christian deny genesis
And the answer is rather easy. Most Christian do not think that God is a liar. That is why most Christians do not accept those myths.

Reactions: ppp

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Thats hardly worth saying since everything has limits
Of course his "limits" are on the order of: You can walk a couple of blocks, but no one can walk a couple of miles. The evolutionary "distance" between man and chimps is very small, and yet he will say that is a gap too wide to have been filled with evolution. They often try to phrase it as "bacteria to elephant evolution" as being impossible to make it seem more unlikely. But what bothers them more than anything else is that people are still apes.

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
Look at Trump. People treat their idols differently from others. So yes, it could easily have happened. Trump regularly turns on his own supporters when they realize how he is a fraud and yet the Trumpettes still flocks to his name.

I think that is a good analogy, Subduction Zone.

According to Mark 11:12–14, just before Jesus' public outburst of rage at the temple, he cursed a fig tree for bearing no fruit for him to eat. He noticed the tree from a distance and went to see whether it had any fruit to eat because he was hungry. When he arrived, all he found were leaves because it was not fig season. So instead of walking away and finding food elsewhere, he cursed the tree, and it withered. It couldn't grow fruit because it was out of season, but he still cursed it because there was nothing for him to eat. Why would he curse a barren tree if he wasn't upset that it bore no fruit for him to eat?

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
You are wrong. I’ve stated my view on this a few times. It’s created quite a bit of diversity.

What I have said is that evolution has limits.
Isn't that basically what I said in my post (that you chopped up)?

Wait, so you don't "believe" in evolution, but you think it's possible that Noah's genome could contain or produce all of the genetic diversity that we see today in the Y-chromosome" ,,,, ? How does that make sense? In other words, you don't accept evolution but you believe the human race, like, super evolved over the last few thousand years??

So you think evolution has limits (I'm guessing macroevolution?), while at the same time believing that Noah and a few family members (and all the animals on the ark) somehow populated the entire earth is just a few thousand years, correct? And that gave us all the diversity we see now, correct?

InChrist

Free4ever
Job was loyal to God and God smote him repeatedly. With friends like that…
Actually, God was a wonderful friend to Job, blessing him incredibly and eternally…

“So what did Job “get right” (42:7)? The upshot of the trial is that Job finally sees that God’s governance of the universe is much more wonderful than he could have imagined, and he openly concedes this (42:2-5); so this is what Job spoke about God that was “right” (42:7). Now, it is absolutely crucial to note the sequence of events at this point: it is only when Job obeys God and intercedes on behalf of his three friends—who had now become his enemies—that God actually blesses Job with a twofold inheritance (42:8-17). This “reward” was not at all some kind of “consolation prize” for Job’s unfair treatment; rather, it was the inheritance God promises to all who serve faithfully as redemptive agents of the Creator (cf. Daniel 12:3). Job obeyed God and was rewarded for his obedience.

In the end, God’s wager with Satan actually achieved an incredible coup: He harnessed evil and turned it to good (cf. Genesis 50:20), and He transformed Job into the most effective servant of all, one who took on God’s own redemptive character and loved his enemies. And this, in fact, is our take-home lesson from Job.”