• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How certain are we that Jesus was historical?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shuttlecraft

.Navigator
You cznt prove the bible with the bible, so just one primary source would be good.

Evolution fans quote from evolution books, so why shouldn't Jesus fans quote from the Bible?..:)
If you want books about Jesus that are not included the Bible, here are a few to be going on with-

Apocalypse of Peter
Epistle of Barnabas
Infancy Gospel of James
Shepherd of Hermas
1st Clement
Gospel of Thomas
The Didache
Third Letter to the Corinthians
Gospel of Mary Magdalene
Jewish Toledot Yeshu ('Life of Jesus')
The Koran speaks of Jesus as a 'miracle man'

Last edited:

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
Evolution fans quote from evolution books, so why shouldn't Jesus fans quote from the Bible?..:)
If you want books about Jesus that are not included the Bible, here are a few to be going on with-

Apocalypse of Peter
Epistle of Barnabas
Infancy Gospel of James
Shepherd of Hermas
1st Clement
Gospel of Thomas
The Didache
Gospel of Mary Magdalene

Evolution isn't a book, that made no sense.
Just one primary spurce would be a good start please.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member

Apocalypse of Peter
Epistle of Barnabas
Infancy Gospel of James
Shepherd of Hermas
1st Clement
Gospel of Thomas
The Didache
Gospel of Mary Magdalene
You forgot to mention "The Da Vinci Code".

Shuttlecraft

.Navigator
fantôme profane;3965562 said:
..Now, how many eye witness accounts do we have of Jesus?

I never saw Jesus but I'm quite prepared to accept that the whole of Israel and the Roman garrison saw him strutting his stuff..:)
Likewise I never saw Elvis but I'm quite prepared to accept that millions did; in fact the similarities between the two are amazing-
"Everybody tried to touch Jesus because power was coming from him" (Luke 6:12-19)

elvis-stage_zpsdbf8f1c6.jpg~original

Apple Sugar

fantôme profane;3965696 said:
You forgot to mention "The Da Vinci Code".
Oh, no, you could have avoided mention. Absolutely.

:facepalm: A gutted priest walks around a museum leaving bloody cryptic clues leading to the grail. Think of the maids. OK, don't. But still....WWJD? He'd have screamed, "Don't make that movie!" Or, "Clean up! Aisle 2!"

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
I never saw Jesus but I'm quite prepared to accept that the whole of Israel and the Roman garrison saw him strutting his stuff..:)
Likewise I never saw Elvis but I'm quite prepared to accept that millions did; in fact the similarities between the two are amazing-
"Everybody tried to touch Jesus because power was coming from him" (Luke 6:12-19)
So how many eye witness accounts do we have of Jesus?

Shuttlecraft

.Navigator
I doubt Jesus strutted his stuff the way Elvis did..

You'd be surprised, for example his mum thought he'd gone bananas when he left home to start preaching-
"Jesus's family and friends tried to take charge of him, saying he's out of his mind" (Mark 3:21)

and he no doubt had to calm her down by telling her-
"I'm leaving town, baby
I'm leaving town for sure
Well, then you won't be bothered with
Me hanging 'round your door
Well, that's all right, that's all right.
That's all right now mama, anyway you do"

Apple Sugar

You'd be surprised, for example his mum thought he'd gone bananas when he left home to start preaching-
"Jesus's family and friends tried to take charge of him, saying he's out of his mind" (Mark 3:21)

and he no doubt had to calm her down by telling her-
"I'm leaving town, baby
I'm leaving town for sure
Well, then you won't be bothered with
Me hanging 'round your door
Well, that's all right, that's all right.
That's all right now mama, anyway you do"
:facepalm: Sure, corrupt "That's Alright" with these visuals forever. Go ahead.
One good thing and then I'm going to stop laughing and helping you take this off topic, Jesus never had to face directors ordering camera's to film him above the waist. :no:

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
:facepalm: Sure, corrupt "That's Alright" with these visuals forever. Go ahead.
One good thing and then I'm going to stop laughing and helping you take this off topic, Jesus never had to face directors ordering camera's to film him above the waist. :no:

That you admit you and Shuttlecraft are simply trying to derail the topic indicates better than anything else just how fragile the case for a historical Jesus is.

Shuttlecraft

.Navigator
Topic title: How certain are we that Jesus was historical?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Very certain; and it's in no way derailing the thread to ask atheists who on earth they think these verses refer to, the Lone Ranger?..:)

Prophecy-The Messiah would enter Jerusalem on a donkey
Old Testament (Zechariah 9:9) says in 500 BC-
"See, your king comes to you, riding on a donkey"

Fulfilled-
New Testament (Luke 19:35-37) says:
"They threw their cloaks on the donkey and put Jesus on it. As he went along, people spread their cloaks on the road.."

Last edited:

Bunyip

pro scapegoat

Very certain; and it's in no way derailing the thread to ask atheists who on earth they think this verse refers to, the Lone Ranger?..:)

Old Testament (Zechariah 9:9) says in 500 BC:
"See, your king comes to you, righteous and having salvation, gentle and riding on a donkey"

Fulfilled-
"They threw their cloaks on the donkey and put Jesus on it. As he went along, people spread their cloaks on the road.."
Yes, you are trolling and trying to derail the thread - you must be very insecure in your faith.

So what? So they read that prophecy and put Jesus on a donkey - what is your point?

If there was a prophecy that said the Messiah would be wearing a miniskirt and pumps and riding a hippo - they would have dressed him up like that, instead.

You are again trying to use the bible to prove itself.

Shuttlecraft

.Navigator
Yes, you are trolling and trying to derail the thread

Whoa kemosabe you speak with forked tongue!

Check this other prophecy and tell us who you think it refers to, Long John Silver?:
The Messiah would be sold for 30 pieces of silver-
Old Testament (Zechariah 11:12) says in 500 BC:
"I told them, "If you think it best, give me my pay; but if not, keep it." So they paid me thirty pieces of silver"

Fulfilled-
New Testament (Matthew 26:14-15) says:
"Then one of the Twelve--the one called Judas Iscariot--went to the chief priests and asked, "What are you willing to give me if I hand him over to you?" So they counted out for him thirty silver coins"

"Ha ha! Ha ha haaah!"
Long-John-Silver_zpsf5ed8b26.jpg~original

Bunyip

pro scapegoat

Check this other prophecy and tell us who you think it refers to, Long John Silver?:
"I told them, "If you think it best, give me my pay; but if not, keep it." So they paid me thirty pieces of silver"

Fulfilled-
"Then one of the Twelve--the one called Judas Iscariot--went to the chief priests and asked, "What are you willing to give me if I hand him over to you?" So they counted out for him thirty silver coins"

"Ha ha! Ha ha haaah!"
Long-John-Silver_zpsf5ed8b26.jpg~original

I'm sure there are more appropriate fora for you to post your funny pics and giggles. Please stop trolling this thread.

Last edited:

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN

Very certain; and it's in no way derailing the thread to ask atheists who on earth they think these verses refer to, the Lone Ranger?..:)

Old Testament (Zechariah 9:9) says in 500 BC-
"See, your king comes to you, riding on a donkey"

Fulfilled-

AGAIN! - as said several pages back - Zechariah is NOT a prophecy of Jesus.

If you don't believe me, or the text I showed, then ask a Jew what it is about!

It is NOT about Jesus!

You folks need to stop stealing, and twisting, Jewish texts.

Last edited:

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN

Fulfilled-

"Ha ha! Ha ha haaah!"

Again - Zechariah is not about Jesus!

Zec 11:10 And I took my staff, even Beauty, and cut it asunder, that I might break my covenant which I had made with all the people.

Zec 11:11 And it was broken in that day: and so the poor of the flock that waited upon me knew that it was the word of the LORD.

Zec 11:12 And I said unto them, If ye think good, give me my price; and if not, forbear. So they weighed for my price thirty pieces of silver.

Zec 11:13 And the LORD said unto me, Cast it unto the potter: the goodly price that I was apprised at by them. And I took the thirty pieces of silver, and cast them to the potter in the house of the LORD.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.