• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How did Satan get to the garden of Eden?

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
Perhaps, I wouldn't know, but I was taught it by Christians.

interesting...
a mainstream community?

sources please

One can find this in the text, Wisdom of Solomon, which was written in Greek, a couple of centuries before Jesus.

The work is included in the deuterocanonical books of the Catholic Bible, or apocryphal books (it was included in the Septuagint, which would suggest that it wasn't some fringe idea). So it was somewhat of a mainstream community, but not one that lasted too long with the Jewish community (they later rejected the Greek works).

waitasec

Veteran Member
Actually, the idea that the serpent was Satan starts within the Jewish community (or a Jewish community).

One can find this in the text, Wisdom of Solomon, which was written in Greek, a couple of centuries before Jesus.

The work is included in the deuterocanonical books of the Catholic Bible, or apocryphal books (it was included in the Septuagint, which would suggest that it wasn't some fringe idea). So it was somewhat of a mainstream community, but not one that lasted too long with the Jewish community (they later rejected the Greek works).

do you think that this influenced christian theology somehow?

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
do you think that this influenced christian theology somehow?

I definitely think so. Christians used the Septuagint, which this work was part of. So it would have played a part there.

More so though, many of the Greek Jewish texts can be seen as influencing early Christianity. So I think this work definitely would have influenced Christian theology.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
is it any wonder why you would complain about the proof part?

faith without proof is giving license to really really dangerous thinking
and one wonders why anyone would look the other way just so they can feel better about their self...

it's absolute insanity... the wish for willful ignorance on the backs of people who have lost their lives or who are being subjected to an idea that holds no water knowing religious faith lacks any form of evidence other than god says so. it's pure horse sh**

for shame
for shame
for shame

So a poor attitude.....maybe you should be reported?

But then again...your display serves as an example of what not to be....

And you've been listening to the serpent...no doubt.

waitasec

Veteran Member

as i said before:

to be confident that god wants this or that without being required to prove so is both detestable and reprehensible at best.

as it gives license to dangerous thinking....
despicable.

outhouse

Atheistically
Doesn't matter. And really, it isn't even an argument against what I said. Whether or not it was hellenistic is besides the point, because it was still a Jewish belief.

I wasnt argueing it.

but it matters not that it was jewish.

the jewish culture changed so frequently, different beliefs were the norm.

the bible was redacted more then most people change their underwear in a lifetime

outhouse

Atheistically

Opinions do not need to be reported.

faith can be very dangerous.

outhouse

Atheistically
what matters here now, is what the original, multiple authors were trying to say.

And the snake in this context, was not satan, in any way shape or form

waitasec

Veteran Member
what matters here now, is what the original, multiple authors were trying to say.

i agree, why would satan pick the craftiest animal?

1 Now the serpent was more crafty than any of the wild animals the LORD God had made. He said to the woman, “Did God really say, ‘You must not eat from any tree in the garden’?”

perhapsssssssssss he wasssssss crafty becausssssssssse he sssssssssssspoke?

;)

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
I wasnt argueing it.

but it matters not that it was jewish.

the jewish culture changed so frequently, different beliefs were the norm.

the bible was redacted more then most people change their underwear in a lifetime
Actually, I was pointing out that it started as a Jewish idea, and not a Christian idea. Why? Because it was stated that it was a Christian idea. So yes, in that context it does matter that it was a Jewish idea. I don't see why you are trying to dismiss that, or minimize that.

Also, this has nothing to do with Bible redaction. It has to do with someone writing a work that also interpreted older work. That isn't Biblical redaction.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist

Actually, there was most likely just one author of this story. It is generally attributed to the J source. Now, that individual may have borrowed the story, or something like that. However, it was still most likely written by one author.

So what does the serpent, in context, represent? You seem to be dodging that over and over again. What does the story mean?

Why not take this conversation a little bit further?

waitasec

Veteran Member
Actually, there was most likely just one author of this story. It is generally attributed to the J source. Now, that individual may have borrowed the story, or something like that. However, it was still most likely written by one author.

So what does the serpent, in context, represent? You seem to be dodging that over and over again. What does the story mean?

Why not take this conversation a little bit further?

if i may...

mans natural inclination of curiosity...the wanting to know.

muhammad_isa

Veteran Member
as i said before:

as it gives license to dangerous thinking....
despicable.

You're wearing "blinkers" .. evil can come from anybody, irrespective of professed religion.
satan is very dangerous .. when one becomes angry, he gains control .. irrespective of religion .. irrespective of religion .. irrespective of religion ..

PS. If all the righteous were "pacifists", would you still have your democratic freedom in USA? I think not!!

waitasec

Veteran Member
You're wearing "blinkers" .. evil can come from anybody, irrespective of professed religion.
satan is very dangerous .. when one becomes angry, he gains control .. irrespective of religion .. irrespective of religion .. irrespective of religion ..

evil people kill people
cowardly evil people kill people as they are hiding behind 'god told me to'

PS. If all the righteous were "pacifists", would you still have your democratic freedom in USA? I think not!!

why? care to explain