• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How did Satan get to the garden of Eden?

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
I doubt that

since it uses mesopotamian legends mixed in
That's fine if you doubt it. However, the general consensus is that it was written by one author. Now, if you want to argue against that, that is fine. But you may want to actually produce a logical argument.

As for it mixing mesopotamian legends within it, that hardly suggests that there are multiple authors. It more suggests that it was one author, who knew various other legends, and compiled them. We see that many many times.

More so, can you name those various legends?

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
if i may...

mans natural inclination of curiosity...the wanting to know.
I think that is a perfectly fine interpretation for today. It makes sense, and it gives a nice little lesson. I don't think that is what the original author thought about it though.

I am writing a longer article on this right now, and will be posting it later. So I will go into more detail then.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
I think that is a perfectly fine interpretation for today. It makes sense, and it gives a nice little lesson. I don't think that is what the original author thought about it though.

I am writing a longer article on this right now, and will be posting it later. So I will go into more detail then.

Can't agree....it takes the serpent out of the garden.
So the author had intention.

waitasec

Veteran Member

keep me posted

outhouse

Atheistically
That's fine if you doubt it. However, the general consensus is that it was written by one author. Now, if you want to argue against that, that is fine. But you may want to actually produce a logical argument.

As for it mixing mesopotamian legends within it, that hardly suggests that there are multiple authors. It more suggests that it was one author, who knew various other legends, and compiled them. We see that many many times.

More so, can you name those various legends?

yes we know P is attributed.

and R may have had something to do.

BUT its very possible, this legend was already n print in a collection before it made its way into the OT

and ive seen a few different sources like enuma elish, and one other that slips my mind without looking it up.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
yes we know P is attributed.
It is attributed to J.
and R may have had something to do.
P could have been the final redactor, so an R really isn't needed.
BUT its very possible, this legend was already n print in a collection before it made its way into the OT
Yes, it was already in print at least. However, that doesn't mean that it had more than one author.
and ive seen a few different sources like enuma elish, and one other that slips my mind without looking it up.
Can you point to the actual legends. Enuma Elish really isn't pointing to anything, except a creation story in another religion. We are looking at specifics, such as the serpent, the tree, garden of eden, etc.

outhouse

Atheistically
It is attributed to J.

and we will confuse everyone trying to map this out in imaginary land.

either way it went through and R and possibly P

Yes, it was already in print at least. However, that doesn't mean that it had more than one author.

it means you dont know, but claim one author ;)

Can you point to the actual legends.

later I will, but the wiki links cover this nicely

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
and we will confuse everyone trying to map this out in imaginary land.

either way it went through and R and possibly P
It is attributed to J. It may have going through P, but only because many scholars believe that P is the redactor (thus, P would also be R). Either way, this story is not attributed to P. It is attributed by J.

it means you dont know, but claim one author ;)
No, it means that we have no reason to think that it was multiple authors. The fact that it was in written form before it was included into the Torah doesn't even suggest that there were multiple authors.
later I will, but the wiki links cover this nicely
The Wiki link only covers this if one doesn't want specifics. I want specifics.

outhouse

Atheistically
It is attributed to J. It may have going through P, but only because many scholars believe that P is the redactor (thus, P would also be R). Either way, this story is not attributed to P. It is attributed by J

I think it would be easier if you said you dont know, I dont. we do know these legends grew and were compiled into hebrew mythology over a long period of time. this legend had to take many versions before it hit what you call J. J very well could be the one who compiled it and thus attributed to him.

BUT to claim one author is a serious mistake no respectable OT scholar will make.

besides the Sumerian connection we have hundreds of years of hebrew theology written into this piece

No, it means that we have no reason to think that it was multiple authors.

Dont use the term "we" because this is all you.

I want specifics.

"YOU" dont steer the debate. ;)

with that said i will look into it, from my sources besides wiki

either way, satan was never written in the garden legend, and you agree.

outhouse

Atheistically
or this

Genesis 2–3, the story of Eden, was probably authored around 500 BC as "a discourse on ideals in life, the danger in human glory, and the fundamentally ambiguous nature of humanity - especially human mental facilities." According to Genesis 2:10-14 the Garden is located on the mythological border between the human and the divine worlds, probably on the far side of the Cosmic Ocean near the rim of the world; following a conventional ancient Near Eastern concept, the Eden river first forms that ocean and then divides into four rivers which run from the four corners of the earth towards its centre

Genesis creation narrative - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
I think it would be easier if you said you dont know, I dont. we do know these legends grew and were compiled into hebrew mythology over a long period of time. this legend had to take many versions before it hit what you call J. J very well could be the one who compiled it and thus attributed to him.

BUT to claim one author is a serious mistake no respectable OT scholar will make.

besides the Sumerian connection we have hundreds of years of hebrew theology written into this piece
Actually, it is really easy to say that it is attributed to J. That is basic scholarship on the subject. So again, this is attributed to one author, and that is J. Now, if you want to say that it is based on older oral tradition, or other sources, that is fine. But that does not mean that it isn't attributed to J.

And yes, many serious, respectable OT scholars in fact state that the story was written by J, or attributed by J. That doesn't mean that J didn't base his account on other sources. Just that J is the one who this text is attributed.

Also, if you accept that this material was in an older form for quite some time, then you also have to make room for the idea that the Hebrew culture goes back further than you have usually stated. J is usually ascribed to about 950 B.C.E. If the material was in circulation, within the Hebrew community, to the point that it was formed into this nice little source, we have to assume that the Hebrew culture predates that by some time.
Dont use the term "we" because this is all you.
We is actually a pretty standard term. It doesn't necessarily mean that it includes you. Because there is more than just you and me. And no, this is not just all me. Everything I say is based on the vast amount of study I have done on this subject. I can tell you right now, that I'm stating primarily what other scholars have also been saying.
"YOU" dont steer the debate. ;)

with that said i will look into it, from my sources besides wiki

either way, satan was never written in the garden legend, and you agree.
I wasn't steering the debate. This debate has gone a certain way. You then made a claim. I asked you to back up that claim, with specifics. That really isn't steering the debate, as I was directly responding to something you stated.

And yes, I agree that Satan is not written in the garden of Eden. Thus, I figure that it would be worth some effort to try to figure out what the story actually meant then. That means one has to look at the symbology in the story.

As for your Wiki link, it's hogwash. Why? Because it disagrees with many scholars, and even with other wiki links: Torah - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia This article puts the composition of J to 900 B.C.E.

And here is another Encyclopedia dating it to 950 B.C.E. Yahwist source (biblical criticism) -- Britannica Online Encyclopedia

As for Genesis 2:10-14 placing the garden on some mythological border? Have you read those verses? It places it firmly on Earth. There is no mythological border.

Now, dealing with the "Persian imperial authorisation," it is not talking about just the J source. It really isn't even talking about what we were discussing. Instead, it is talking about the Torah as a whole. So really, it doesn't work for a real argument here.

As for the Atra Hasis (I do find it funny you actually don't point out anything specific, but instead, just another creation story, which you found in your wiki link), is more similar to the flood story. However, yes, there are some similarities, but they are probably better explained by the fact that they contain pretty much standard symbology for that area. I do have a question though. Have you ever read said text?

outhouse

Atheistically
well your all backwards and you know it.

J was never one author, E was never one author

J and E, are collection's of legends compiled

this garden of eden story is not part of those early collections, it was the later addition

Genesis creation narrative - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Historical context

Although tradition attributes the first five biblical books to Moses, today most scholars believe that they are "a composite work, the product of many hands and periods."[20] Genesis 2 (and indeed much of the remainder of Genesis, as well as much of Exodus and Numbers) is the product of an author, or perhaps a group of like-minded authors, called the Yahwist. The Yahwist wrote among and for the Jews of the Babylonian exile, which lasted from 658 to 538 BC, and his purpose was to demonstrate that Yahweh, the god of Israel, would act to save his chosen people no matter how often they sinned and turned away from him

Genesis 2–3, the story of Eden, was probably authored around 500 BC as "a discourse on ideals in life, the danger in human glory, and the fundamentally ambiguous nature of humanity - especially human mental facilities." According to Genesis 2:10-14 the Garden is located on the mythological border between the human and the divine worlds, probably on the far side of the Cosmic Ocean near the rim of the world; following a conventional ancient Near Eastern concept, the Eden river first forms that ocean and then divides into four rivers which run from the four corners of the earth towards its centre

Last edited:

Thief

Rogue Theologian
All of this, as to not deal with the theological notion...
there was interference during an attempt by God to set a relationship with Man.

But to say interference never happened...no serpent?
You then must firm the discussion....
God, Man, and the 'serpent' have never met.

The serpent got in the garden....you can call it a myth if you like.
But the myth speaks of an actual event.

God and Man have met.
There has been interference.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
well your all backwards and you know it.

J was never one author, E was never one author

J and E, are collection's of legends compiled

this garden of eden story is not part of those early collections, it was the later addition
First, your link doesn't say that J or E are collections of legends compiled. Your link stated that it was written by an author, or perhaps, a group of like minded individuals. I prefer J as being one author, as it appears to be the hand of one author. And really, that doesn't go against sound scholarship.

Also, there is no evidence that the Garden of Eden story was written later and then added to the J source. That would be ridiculous. It is attributed to J, and thus was written around 950 B.C.E. Your link doesn't even say it was a later addition.

So let's get back to the meat. The serpent, what does it represent? More so, we are talking about a myth here. We have to look at the nature of myths. They include symbology. So the serpent obviously is a symbol of something.

waitasec

Veteran Member
But the myth speaks of an actual event.

the event; beings who have an innate sense or ability of curiosity and acting on that.

as far as it being an actual event....it's impossible to say....
unless your have unfounded belief that is was an actual event.

outhouse

Atheistically
First, your link doesn't say that J or E are collections of legends compiled.

both J and E are collections, if you argue this. you dont have a ounce of credibility.

I prefer J as being one author, as it appears to be the hand of one author. And really, that doesn't go against sound scholarship.

later redaction keeping some of he origional authors material

But dont bait and switch, the garden story is not from J. genesis is a later addition to the first five books and in more then one part, one early and one later. the garden story is much later.

So let's get back to the meat.

yes because your caught with your pants down and have embarressed yourself.

Genesis 2–3, the story of Eden, was probably authored around 500 BC as "a discourse on ideals in life

The Yahwist wrote among and for the Jews of the Babylonian exile, which lasted from 658 to 538 BC

Thief

Rogue Theologian
the event; beings who have an innate sense or ability of curiosity and acting on that.

as far as it being an actual event....it's impossible to say....
unless your have unfounded belief that is was an actual event.

There's that crutch again....

So God and Man never met?...someone had to be first....Adam.

And you still don't believe?

So......

waitasec

Veteran Member
There's that crutch again....

So God and Man never met?...someone had to be first....Adam.

And you still don't believe?

So......

still ducking i see...

oh common now...it's always better to make uniformed decisions right?