• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do you feel about other faiths?

InChrist

Free4ever
My faith is in an eternal, personal, spiritual Being, who I believe to be the Creator of heaven and earth and who desires a living relationship with all people. I see religious faith or other spiritual paths which involve various practices, rituals, rules, membership in a certain group/organization, or other such things as a distraction from knowing the love and will of the One who created us for an eternal loving relationship with Himself. Yet, I believe freedom is of utmost importance to this Being because true love must include the ability to respond freely. So while I think freedom of religion is a necessity and must be guarded, I also think many who choose to place their faith elsewhere are missing the only source of reality and unsurpassed love.

lovesong

:D
Premium Member
Religions are rarely forced on others. What happens is a population is forced to adopt the forms of the religion and then over a few generations it becomes the accepted religion. The key is to get control of the indoctrination of the children.
Indoctrination of children is forced religion.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
My feelings are that, for the most part, people of various religions are worshipping God to the best of their ability and in accordance with the knowledge that they have. Although I do believe in the concept of "absolute truth," I feel that God is much more patient with us as we search for it than we are with each other. I believe that He wants each of us to eventually find "Truth-with-a-capital-T" but that until we do (and it may not even be during our mortal lives that this takes place), He places a high value on our integrity. He wants us to be true to what we believe, to stand for the truths we have found, but to be kind to those whose search has taken them down a different path than ours. Sooner or later, I believe He will lead the pure in heart to Him. I believe it will be through the grace of His Son, Jesus Christ, that this is accomplished, but I am not concerned that it happen according to my timeframe.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
It says a lot when parents do not even give their child a choice, and before the child is even capable of speaking or walking the parents dedicate the child's life to a particular religion.

What does it say?

Probably a topic for its own thread, though. I'll just say I'd be careful about making negative assumptions here. :D

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
What does it say?
It says the child isn't going to have a choice, that they are going to be learning about only one particular denomination, and that before the child is even aware of themselves that are expected to grow up into a faithful adherent of the religion their parents are imposing on them.

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
I respect the freedom of their followers in choosing them and don't pry in their practices and beliefs done in their own communities among themselves as long as they don't impose them on others. I think this is the right thing to do. My disagreeing and not believing in them is something that I can't let blind my heart. I encourage everyone to do the same. It could be a key to have different people of different faiths coexist better than they do now.

No religion on earth requires conversion except Christianity. Islam accepts me as one of People of the Book, Judaism accepts me as a Noahide, all the Eastern faiths don't require anything of me for salvation but just want to share their philosophy. Only Christianity says I must be one of them or go to hell.
That`s because Christians get stuck on the name not looking to what is pointed to.
When Jesus says all must come through ME, The ME he speaks of is "True Self" which exists in us ALL.
He is speaking of an "inner journey"
Jo Campbell speaks well about this and how its been twisted backwards.
The way Home is to realise True Self, called by some Israel, Christ, Buddha, Krishna etc

Is Judaism incorrect?
I havent read much of any scripture, i just had the direct experience of True Self and then God.
I like that Judaism sees that the word God is actually misleading and that it points to the idea of AWE in Gods presence because that is correct.
I like some of the stories that speak of absolute non judgement, when people are ready to read them in that way.

So I would say that nothing is incorrect, just the way it is read and interpreted.

And just to add the best golden rule i have heard thus far is this.

Once there was a gentile who came before Shammai, and said to him: "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot. Shammai pushed him aside with the measuring stick he was holding. The same fellow came before Hillel, and Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it." - Babylonian Talmud, Shabbat 31a

I havent read much of any scripture, i just had the direct experience of True Self and then God.
I like that Judaism sees that the word God is actually misleading and that it points to the idea of AWE in Gods presence because that is correct.
I like some of the stories that speak of absolute non judgement, when people are ready to read them in that way.

So I would say that nothing is incorrect, just the way it is read and interpreted.

And just to add the best golden rule i have heard thus far is this.

Once there was a gentile who came before Shammai, and said to him: "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot. Shammai pushed him aside with the measuring stick he was holding. The same fellow came before Hillel, and Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it." - Babylonian Talmud, Shabbat 31a

You will note the measuring stick .. judgement ;)

Is it interesting that Rabbinic Judaism, actually can be quite involved in the /physical 'law' aspect of religious adherence? IE, works, as opposed to the philosophical rules?
I can only speak of my own journey, ideas had to be accepted into my heart, Loves importance, forgiveness, brotherhood, honesty, loyalty etc. When this was done my actions followed. What you hold in your heart you will walk. Held in your heart the walk is easy. Its not something you can say and then act in a certain way. It has to be genuinely heartfelt and then you will walk it naturally.

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
Everyone has a faith, yes, even the atheists and agnostics. I find all faiths to be equal and fascinating. I love to see how people interpret their view of the world in what they believe. We all are right and wrong about so many things. No one's belief is superior or inferior.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
It says the child isn't going to have a choice, that they are going to be learning about only one particular denomination, and that before the child is even aware of themselves that are expected to grow up into a faithful adherent of the religion their parents are imposing on them.

Hmm. Doesn't describe what happened to me, but okay. :D

Mackerni

Libertarian Unitarian
Being an X, and fill X with any religion as you might wish to be, typically does not make a good or a bad person. There are internal things going on that make you act and say and believe the things you are and do. Religion is guidance but it isn't the change. Christians have a saying, "You can water a plant, but God gives it its increase." God, in this case, is the plant. You can give someone faith, which would be the water to a plant, but its the person him or herself that needs to make the change to grow in the ways they'll grow. The only exception to this rule isn't even a religion, but I find that my psych meds actually change how I think, mostly for the better, so I take them.

I'd like to find the happy medium between refusing to talk about religion like many atheists and anti-theists do and trying to proselytize people, like what many Christians do. I like to have spirited debates about religion. Pun intended.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
As long as they don't force their beliefs on others we good
That pretty much sums up my views. Let others make up their own minds, have the freedom to make their own choices, force no one to anything against their will, and I have no problems with them so long as they aren't doing any harm or promoting destructive ideas such as suicide.
Love the avatar, btw.

MrMrdevincamus

Voice Of The Martyrs Supporter
As long as they don't force their beliefs on others we good

Hi Rowan. I am a self termed 'Primitive Christian' meaning I attempt to practice worship as closely to the first, or early Christians as possible.(just a little background). I am an ordained minister but have not been 'called' by God to preach in the eight years since I was sponsored by the church. Still I get asked 'preacher' questions, lol. One of the most common is similar to your statement in subject. So, I would like to ask you and the forum what should a Christian do when their faiths doctrine says they should minister to non-Christians?

I can tell you what I, an avowed near hermit came up with. I too tend to not like and avoid pushy people, be they LeVay satanists, or fire and brimstone well meaning but misled (in my opinion)preachers. Well, I decided the best path to satisfy the 'ministering requirement' was to mention my faith to people I meet and tell them if they if they have any questions about the faith I am available 24/7. So not preaching leaves a lot of time that I use to do volunteer work and am planning on a food bank ministry,again because I feel God loves his followers to help his fellow man of no or other faiths meet their 'humanitarian needs' as part of a Christians responsibility to minister.

Do you or those that also have similar feelings about pushy Christians have an opinion on the above? Ie how much ministering or in what venue is acceptable or tolerable (lol).

Thanks, God bless, and we PRAY FOR PEACE on this world ~

Last edited:

MrMrdevincamus

Voice Of The Martyrs Supporter

In my opinion, it is an inalienable right and the moral duty of parents to promote and or describe their values, including ideas of right and wrong, moral and ethical nuances including religious beliefs to their child. The most important reason for the above is if not the parent who has the responsibility of instilling the tools of moral reasoning logic, and spirituality or even atheism to a child ? Also, a lesser concern is I beleive it would be impossible to teach a very young child every religion etc. So, as a parent I raise a child to know there is always choice, nothing is black and white, and my beliefs are this and this etc. The children should also know why the parents beleive as they do.

Anyway if we followed child raising rules by created lawmakers or worse a governmental decree, that would be a horrific disaster. I have nightmares of 'the government' guiding my childs early development etc! Visions of Hitler youth or the machete wielding orphans of the blood diamond trade that would chop a limb off without hesitation or remorse who learned their values from cannibal warlorlds stick in my mind trade being considered the norm.....Of course I know the examples of government kids are extreme and unlikely (at least at first) I say no thanks!

Last edited: