• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How hard is it to watch people heading for hell

SnowyWhiteTiger

The Apprentice
As a Christian it is very hard to watch people headed to hell. I want to grab them and shake them and tell them to wake up, you don't have to go there. That is one of the toughest things about being a Christian. I consider how C.S. Lewis had to do it, how Billy Graham has to do it, how John Wesley had to do it. That keeps me moving, keeps me knocking on doors, keeps me asking, prodding, urging, teaching, instructing, preaching, helping, giving, visiting. Within the first 5 minutes of meeting someone I can usually tell if they are headed to hell and I think to myself, what is the point of living for the devil?

What is the point living for God?

I think at least with the devil you know where you are heading, whereas God keeps you unsure - where you are worthy or unworthy, whatever.

Be concerned about yourself and your own apparent fantasy that you could end up in hell, if that is what you believe in.

When I die, that is the end. My consciousness (or "soul", as you may like to call it) dies along with my brain. No part of my being gets magically transported anywhere. It's nonsense to believe that it does. I'll enjoy my life to the full, thank you.

Last edited:

Evandr

Stripling Warrior
Be concerned about yourself and your own apparent fantasy that you could end up in hell, if that is what you believe in.

When I die, that is the end. My consciousness (or "soul", as you may like to call it) dies along with my brain. No part of my being gets magically transported anywhere. It's nonsense to believe that it does. I'll enjoy my life to the full, thank you.

So existence is without meaning other than to try to make oneself happy while alive and all creation is the pointless motion of futility?

Oh dear, where do I begin (again). That point of view is contrary to every point of physical logic and historical contemplation not to mention illogical and unworkable from every reputable calculation of science there is. Fortunately for you, your belief will not change reality so if that is truly how you think than all I can say is that you have another think a'comin.

Wotan

" That point of view is contrary to every point of physical logic and historical contemplation not to mention illogical and unworkable from every reputable calculation of science there i"

Really?
Perhaps you could expand on that.
I have never seen ANY evidence for any afterlife -ever.
Can you be the 1st?

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
So existence is without meaning other than to try to make oneself happy while alive and all creation is the pointless motion of futility?

No, the meaning of existence is simply life. There is no futility unless one sees life as futile and longs for something beyond the simple yet beautiful gift of life.

Venatoris

If you can't find a meaning in your life or a reason to be a good person without a bribe/threat hanging over your head, I feel sorry for you.

I could sit and list everything which brings meaning and purpose to my life but that would take a long time. The most basic reasons for the purpose of my existence: make myself and others happy, love, learn, enjoy life, procreate. None of those things are futile for as long as I live to witness and enjoy them.

Oh dear, where do I begin (again). That point of view is contrary to every point of physical logic and historical contemplation not to mention illogical and unworkable from every reputable calculation of science there is.

What point of view is contrary to every point of physical logic? What is illogical and unworkable? I must assume you mean the biblical idea of heaven and hell.
It is of great merit to our species that many of us (many great scientists included, fortunately) have evolved beyond the beliefs of old historical contemplation.

Fortunately for you, your belief will not change reality so if that is truly how you think than all I can say is that you have another think a'comin.

:fork: ?

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
How do you jump from "at some point it ends" to "there is no point while it lasts?" For me, the fact that it is limited in time makes life more meaningful.

Oh dear, where do I begin (again). That point of view is contrary to every point of physical logic and historical contemplation not to mention illogical and unworkable from every reputable calculation of science there is. Fortunately for you, your belief will not change reality so if that is truly how you think than all I can say is that you have another think a'comin.
Really? You have scientific evidence of a consciousness without a living brain? Please present it.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Not quite.

I saw a poster-thingy on Twitter that I think puts it well (and IMO very inspiringly):

http://i.imgur.com/NjRhV.jpg

I like that one line: "all meaning is man-made, so make your own and make it well."

Oh dear, where do I begin (again). That point of view is contrary to every point of physical logic and historical contemplation not to mention illogical and unworkable from every reputable calculation of science there is.

No, it's just foreign to you.

Man of Faith

I'm somewhat confused. It looks like all people like songs and singing. But I don't see anywhere where there is singing in hell, just heaven.