• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

HOW is the healthcare bill unconstitutional? Any explanations?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Nonsense. The cost of health insurance, as I understand it, is not to exceed 10 % of your income (which means that for most people, it will be 10 % of their income, since it's still handled by the private sector). The "fine" is only 0.5 %. How is saving 95% of your personal burden for the collective cost of health care by choosing not to have insurance "forcing" you to buy insurance?

Do you really and honestly believe that? Where did you get the info? I looked for per capita costs of the new law and as of yet am unable to locate any good information so far. If you post a source I'll look at it.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
I want to know what the cap amount is. What is the most a person with a pre-existing condition could be charged? Just because high risk people will have access to health care does not mean their premiums will be the same as everyone else.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
The government took a significant stake in General Motors. Could it mandate that we buy GM vehicles or levy a tax if we didn't? Yeah, cars are not the same kind of necessity as medical care, but I believe we need explicit lines to prevent future abuses.

Agreed. Yet I would garner a wild guess that homelessness would be the next big crusade to be discussed by the D's amid closed doors.....

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
Agreed. Yet I would garner a wild guess that homelessness would be the next big crusade to be discussed by the D's amid closed doors.....

Yes, I could just see forcing people to buy houses. :rolleyes:

Seriously, we need to force the hungry folks to go and buy groceries. Here is some coupons to lower the cost on these things you cannot afford.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
I think forcing people who believe in alternative preventive medicine to purchase something they don't believe in is unconstitutional.
I personally believe medicine has its place but unfortunately is completely abused in suppressing symptoms in a lot of cases instead of dealing with the ailments at hand.
I don't totally go against medicine but its complete abused in the name of the almighty dollar and now will be forced upon everyone. It will be the governments way and the drugs they want to push.
Whatever lobbyists are running the country I guess?

Which provision of the constitution do you think it violates?

Alceste

Vagabond
It is not mandatory to drive a car or run a business. If you don't like the requirements, you simply do not have to run a business or drive a car. You have a choice.

With mandated health care, you do not have a choice.

But you do. Buy private insurance, or pay a slight increase on your income tax to cover the cost of public health care. Much like if you don't want to drive a car you often have to pay for a bus.

Alceste

Vagabond
Do you really and honestly believe that? Where did you get the info? I looked for per capita costs of the new law and as of yet am unable to locate any good information so far. If you post a source I'll look at it.

Auto posted a link to a website where you can calculate exactly how your family will be affected, financially. Maybe she would be kind enough to re-post the link.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
We are forced to put money into private companies that have a monopoly exemption from the government.

Are you saying that since only health insurance companies can provide health insurance they are a monopoly? Would that mean that since only car companies produce cars, they have a monopoly on the car business?

And technically, that was the liberal's original point: the private insurance industry could benefit from having a competitor, namely, the government in the form of a public option. But I have a feeling you wouldn't have taken too kindly to that either.

Walkntune

Are you saying that since only health insurance companies can provide health insurance they are a monopoly? Would that mean that since only car companies produce cars, they have a monopoly on the car business?

And technically, that was the liberal's original point: the private insurance industry could benefit from having a competitor, namely, the government in the form of a public option. But I have a feeling you wouldn't have taken too kindly to that either.
A Predatory System- The Health Insurance Monopoly « COTO Report

That's not an answer. What part of the constitution is being violated?

The commerce clause.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
We are forced to put money into private companies that have a monopoly exemption from the government.

Which provision of the Constitution do you think it violates? You know, the Constitution, the thing you're claiming it's violating? Which provision of the Constitution does it violate? Or by "violates the Constitution," do you mean, "Walkntune doesn't like it?"

TurkeyOnRye

I think the fact that many people feel they are getting robbed by the government, for such a reason as being forced to pay someone for the insurance of your body, precludes the idea of whether or not it's technically "constitutional".

Last edited:

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
I think the fact that many people feel they are getting robbed by the government, for such a reason as being forced to pay someone for the insurance of your body, precludes the idea of whether or not it's technically "constitutional".

That issue was resolved already. It's called democracy. Now the only remaining issue is the constitutionality of what we democratically did.

TurkeyOnRye

That issue was resolved already. It's called democracy. Now the only remaining issue is the constitutionality of what we democratically did.

Well, that would be indirect democracy, to be more specific, and a very distant indirect democracy, at that. In any case though, the constitution is supposed to be the foundation for all subsequent democratic processes, so I think ideally there shouldn't even be a question of the constitutionality of a bill that's passed.

Last edited: