• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How Odd Is Putin's Russia?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Probably not since the Cold War, although there's obviously been some lingering resentment and hostility towards Russia over what happened in the past. That may not constitute a "threat," per se, but it's not exactly friendly either.
Not an answer.
No. That's not what I was saying at all. I don't think their concern is that they could be conquered. With their nuclear ace in the hole, that's simply not an option.
Not clear what you're alluding to.
My main point here is that, sometimes, when looking under the hood of US foreign policy and our various activities around the world, our national leaders don't come off looking like the "nice people" that many people believe them to be. From the other side of the hill, they might see these "nice people" as a potential threat. I mean, we're talking about people who spied on the personal cellphone of the German Chancellor, one of our allies. They do engage in a great deal of mischief, so it stands to reason that a rival power might look at that and think "These people are out of control."

That doesn't mean there's any plan to conquer Russia.
This isn't justifying Russia's seeming paranoia.
The better explanation is that it's feigned in order
to justify invasions. And many are buying its
plausibility. It appears that you do.
No, not exculpating them. If I'm ever called to jury duty when Russia is brought in to the World Court for invading Ukraine, I would vote "guilty." They did do that; Purin and his government are as guilty as a cat in a goldfish bowl.
And yet, your posts continually offer ostensibly
plausible legitimate reasons for Russia's invasions.
But it doesn't appear that Putin will be arrested and taken to court any time soon. Any hope of any kind of cooperative relationship with Russia is now doomed; we'll be entering a new era with a new kind of cold war. I'm not taking their side in this, but it's more of a lamentation, a sense of regret that it's come to this. It didn't have to be this way. We could have lived and coexisted with each other in peace, but, for whatever reason...we have what we have now.

Fortunately, we're not really at war just yet. Hopefully, it won't get to that point. I don't see how I can be faulted for acknowledging the reality of the situation and exhorting my fellow Allies to learn from some of the mistakes made in the past. If anything, I'm just saying that we should look at this strategically. Sure, Russia is guilty, but from a strategic perspective, that's immaterial. That is, unless we're presuming to act as some form of global law enforcement agency, which is a completely different discussion altogether.
Your posts are full of conflicted agendas.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
I state my views. Never thought who would like them and who would not like them.
But the views you state are heavily biased against NATO and for Russia. It's not so much an independent thinking situation as a buying into anti-NATO, pro-Russian narratives.

Eddi

Believer in God
Premium Member
In Donbas they persecuted Russians.
And yet there are plenty of Russian neo-nazis who think the war in Ukraine is the greatest thing ever

Do you know why in WW2 so many Ukranians approved of Nazi Germany? It was because Stalin caused a massive famine there that killed millions of people and then did nothing to help the suffering people. Russia ethnically cleansed Ukraine in the 20s and 30s

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
And yet there are plenty of Russian neo-nazis who think the war in Ukraine is the greatest thing ever

Do you know why in WW2 so many Ukranians approved of Nazi Germany? It was because Stalin caused a massive famine there that killed millions of people and then did nothing to help the suffering people. Russia ethnically cleansed Ukraine in the 20s and 30s
In the EU we are not vengeful...
we have forgiven each other. We have moved on.

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson
In the EU we are not vengeful...
we have forgiven each other. We have moved on.
I don't know about that, I know a couple older Ukrainians who endured the Russian occupation and the work camps after WW2 who have not forgiven the Russians yet

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
You mean you want to gloss over an important piece of history because the facts undermine your shoddy hero-worship!
That thing about Stalin and his genocide in Ukraine is absolutely horrific.
But in this part of Europe we have forgiven each other. The Nazis did horrific things too, and especially in my country.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
I don't know about that, I know a couple older Ukrainians who endured the Russian occupation and the work camps after WW2 who have not forgiven the Russians yet
Because Russia is a monolith, right?
If one Russian is bad, the entire nation must pay...

Eddi

Believer in God
Premium Member
That thing about Stalin and his genocide in Ukraine is absolutely horrific.
But in this part of Europe we have forgiven each other. The Nazis did horrific things too, and especially in my country.
I think that's wishful thinking on your part and is a claim with no basis in reality

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson
Because Russia is a monolith, right?
If one Russian is bad, the entire nation must pay...
Wow, you took that to an unnecessary extreme....but I guess I'll play....... Well it was more than one Russian, it was the system, and I doubt they hate all Russians, just not a fan of the government and the system...you see if you are imprisoned in a work camp, just because you are a Ukrainian, and late at night, when you are suppose to be sleeping, the door open to your barracks, and you are afraid to look because they might take you, then when you wake up in the morning and one of the people who was there with you is gone, and you never see them again and you are terrified to ask or you might be next, it tends to leave a mark.....

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
I just think that those who want Russia to be defeated, should go to fight in the steppe themselves.
Instead of expecting Ukrainian soldiers to die, just to satisfy the greed and the money-hunger of the banking élites overseas.