• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

*[I believe] Atheism is an absurd worldview

Deathbydefault

Apistevist Asexual Atheist
The atheistic worldview is an absurd one. Why? Because the atheist views the world as ultimately meaningless and therefore as absurd.

I can only wonder how many atheists have utterly destroyed this argument.
This is something that has been getting refuted for years now, yet there are still people saying it.

Would you also like to argue that I eat babies? Perhaps my innate want for people to die that obviously ties directly to my atheism?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
You cannot rationally justify a belief that the world has an ultimate purpose unless you adopt a theistic worldview.
It seems like there's a necessary step in your reasoning that you're jumping over... something like "if a thing isn't universally important, it can't be important to me." I hope you'll recognize that this is unsupported nonsense (or "absurd", to use your new favourite word).

Yerda

Veteran Member
The atheistic worldview is an absurd one. Why? Because the atheist views the world as ultimately meaningless and therefore as absurd.
Could you elaborate, please?

The "world" includes all things and therefore contains meaning in many forms. This seems to be so obvious that it's trivial.

Deathbydefault

Apistevist Asexual Atheist
There's no counterargument here.

There was no argument on your part to begin with.
Just an assertion:
Because the atheist views the world as ultimately meaningless and therefore as absurd.

Do you have evidence of this?
I personally know atheists that think the opposite of this.
I also know an atheist who believes in magic and thinks of it as the central force of the soul and rebirth.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I think this thread was created for a purposeful heated debate??? o_O :confused:

We have meaning in our life? Why would disbelief in god equal no meaning for any person who doesn't believe in deitie/s?
Perhaps it would seem so to someone whose meaning is seen as given by their religion.
Without religion, it would appear that there is no meaning.
And in a sense, they're right.....as far as some absolutely universally "true" meaning doesn't exist for us (typically).
But instead of that, we still have meaning....it just comes from our own thinking organ.

Jiddanand

If you don't trust that there is a Creator then situation is that you are the creator which you are not. Thereby atheism is a pure blindness.

Gambit

Nah, atheists just create their own myths to give the world meaning.

They are no more objectively true than the theistic ideologies they replace, but they can give the world just as much meaning.

I agree with you in one aspect. The purpose and meaning that atheists believe they create must ultimately be deemed illusory when atheism is taken to its logical conclusion.

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
If you don't trust that there is a Creator then situation is that you are the creator which you are not. Thereby atheism is a pure blindness.
Not believing that there is a creator doesn't mean that you believe that YOU are the creator. That's like saying not believing in leprechauns means you must believe that you are a leprechaun, and I as yet have not accrued a pot of gold.