• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I can't believe I am going to die one day...

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Isn't eternal life supposedly a curse?
The only thing I hope not to happen is to die unexpectedly while I have pets that rely on me and some debt that I have yet to clear up. I really don't want to die with those unresolved circumstances. After I get a few things in order though in life within a couple of years, then I don't think I'll care. I look forward to sitting down with my wife one evening at an age when we no longer feel physically up to continuing, putting on a good bob dylan record, sharing some nice wine, and chasing it with a cup of hemlock.

Wasn't it Bob Dylan that sang a song about shelter from the Storm?

Isn't eternal life supposedly a 'cure' for death?
Death according to Romans 6:7 frees or acquits a person from their trespasses and the resurrection will be the cure.
The prophet Daniel looked forward to the future time when the dead will awaken from death's sleep, but the prospect that lies ahead for living mankind today is:

The 'storm' of the Bible is that there will be divine intervention into mankind's affairs to rid the earth of all wickedness. [Psalm 92:7; Proverbs 2:21,22]
Those righteous ones will have shelter from that storm [Matt 25:32;46]
and not die, but continue to live on into Jesus peaceful 1000-year rule over earth. At that time even animal kind will be at peace with humans.
Isaiah 11:6-9; 65:25.

If you die before that time comes, may your wish be granted about your debts and pets, but rather may you remain alive to be part of Jesus peaceful millennial reign over earth.

enchanted_one1975

Resident Lycanthrope
I used to fear death until I found the right path. Now I look forward to it. I will not rush it, as I feel I am here for a reason, but when my time is up it will be a time to celebrate. :yes:

Vasilisa Jade

Formerly Saint Tigeress
Sounds strange, but I just can't come to terms with it. I feel like it shouldn't happen, like I am special and shouldn't die. Anyone else ever feel that way?

I understand where you are coming from. I have thought about this too, and I really like Mystics view on it. Here are some of the things I have come across/concluded about it.

I have decided that there is a non-physical element to what makes us who we are and alive. I think it is a type of energy. If it is energy, according to this law of fancy science things:

"First Law of Thermodynamics: Energy can be changed from one form to another, but it cannot be created or destroyed."

This follows the idea that we have always been, and always will be. It follows that in this physical existence, because everything is a duality (life death, ecstasy pain, happiness sadness etc...) we cannot conceive of such an existence with no beginning or end.

"The cellular mechanisms which make reproduction and growth possible are also those which cause aging and death."
-Peter Carroll

If you want to understand death and face it, I have read that the best way to do this is to have an out of body experience/ astral projection/ soul travel.

Leave it to me to suggest the most off the wall thing. But, when you do that, it is the nonphysical part of you leaving your body. You can feel and experience that part of your makeup. Supposedly death is just a permanent OBE.

It's not really the act of dying that bothers me. It is the idea of not being with the people I loved here. Even more so, being alone completely. THat is what is motivating me in my studies at the moment... finding methods and spiritual tools used to identify and find others outside of the physical state, and also memory retention after death. Amnesia does't sit well with me.

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
As I do not believe in any type of 'eternal punishment', nor do I have evidence of anything beyond this life, I accept death as an inevitability. To be avoided as long as possible, and hopefully, to come as painlessly as possible.

whereismynotecard

Treasure Hunter
I'm never going to die. Baggins and I will live forever. And if we do happen to die, then the whole world will end. Everything is about me. I'm not being sarcastic. The only life I am seeing up close and personal is my own. According to my brain and my eyes, I am the main character in this story and everything is about me. If I die, the world ends. At least, to me it does. If Baggins dies, the world ends too, because he's my other half. :D

We'll live forever though. You guys might all die one day, but Baggins and I won't. **** that. Dying is for the weak and old. That's not me. That's not Baggins. We'll always be here.

tarasan

I'm never going to die. Baggins and I will live forever. And if we do happen to die, then the whole world will end. Everything is about me. I'm not being sarcastic. The only life I am seeing up close and personal is my own. According to my brain and my eyes, I am the main character in this story and everything is about me. If I die, the world ends. At least, to me it does. If Baggins dies, the world ends too, because he's my other half. :D

We'll live forever though. You guys might all die one day, but Baggins and I won't. **** that. Dying is for the weak and old. That's not me. That's not Baggins. We'll always be here.

Hmmm just cause a main character dies doesnt mean the world ends, admittedly you wont be around to see it exist but that doesnt mean it doesnt continue. I believe our view is irrelevant XD although its an interesting thought ill grant you.

and yes you will die what? are gonna stop it with your gun! " points to avatar"

Just_me_Mike

I understand where you are coming from. I have thought about this too, and I really like Mystics view on it. Here are some of the things I have come across/concluded about it.

I have decided that there is a non-physical element to what makes us who we are and alive. I think it is a type of energy. If it is energy, according to this law of fancy science things:

"First Law of Thermodynamics: Energy can be changed from one form to another, but it cannot be created or destroyed."

This follows the idea that we have always been, and always will be. It follows that in this physical existence, because everything is a duality (life death, ecstasy pain, happiness sadness etc...) we cannot conceive of such an existence with no beginning or end.

"The cellular mechanisms which make reproduction and growth possible are also those which cause aging and death."
-Peter Carroll

If you want to understand death and face it, I have read that the best way to do this is to have an out of body experience/ astral projection/ soul travel.

Leave it to me to suggest the most off the wall thing. But, when you do that, it is the nonphysical part of you leaving your body. You can feel and experience that part of your makeup. Supposedly death is just a permanent OBE.

It's not really the act of dying that bothers me. It is the idea of not being with the people I loved here. Even more so, being alone completely. THat is what is motivating me in my studies at the moment... finding methods and spiritual tools used to identify and find others outside of the physical state, and also memory retention after death. Amnesia does't sit well with me.
Hi there. Thanks for the thoughts. You and I have some things in common then. It just so happens I have experienced something I use to call out of body experience, however, it was under the influence of hallucinogens. Since it was so long ago, many have just convinced me it was not real. However, I still can't explain the things that happened. I just know our mind is extremely complex and powerful. Maybe enough so, that we can create worlds before us, and whether anyone else can see them or not, they might be there.

At any rate, I am both eager and a bit afraid of what awaits us, eager because I know it is inevitable, and afraid because I really want to be somewhat humble about it, and often feel like maybe I won't be worthy of whatever else is out there?

In the end, if this spark inside of us, this flow of energy simply extinguishes, it will be a sad thing. It is the thing I regard the most, the gift of life, and if it is all for naught, well it is a shame.

David69

Angel Of The North
Thanks for the post David, you worded yourself quite well.

Side note, I don't take anything serious on here :no: so no worries.

I'm pleased you understood as getting my thoughts feelings and meanings over as intended can be a struggle for me and I am understandebly usually misunderstood.
Thats why my mind learned new ways to communicate ;)
You see that hour glass there! Well It used to be a nightmare for me nearly everynight, I would see it and note how far the sand of time drained and made me aware of how long is left etc and the unknown that follows is a depressing feeling. No matter how hard I tried, The sand kept flowing out and the level slowly dropped and in dream it would manifest over and over again, haunting me for many years
No worries on here!! :)
I'm pleased that we are slowly understanding each other :yes:

Cheers and I wish you power to your dreams. Best not to think to much of the abyss but live the life you enjoy and all in it you cherrish.

BTW I Occasionally think of how long I might have left but at least the glass doesnt haunt me no more. I turned it into a lamp of light!!!
Keep a-haad
David69

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
the message of eternity does offer hope, I myself also find that the thought of a just, merciful God offers hope, (had to get my beliefs in here somewhere XD)

I think that eternity offers us something more than hope though, it offers us wonder, and mystery. I think that the world would be a sad place without the concept of eterity.
Hmm. I find plenty of wonder and mystery in the world without thinking that I live forever, and I don't find it sad at all.

In fact, I consider it rather motivating to know that I only have so much time to do the things that are important to me.

no-body

I've decided I am not going to die. I mean what happens if you just refuse it? Surely one can just refuse to die can't they? Unless they simply get squashed by a falling piano or something. Barring some unforeseen event that kills me, can't I just decide to live forever?

It worked for that guy in the sandman comics :sarcastic but then again Death is probably not some cute goth chick.

I've had thanatophobia since I was 5 and I still occasionally get "flashes" of compulsive death thinking. The best thing I've found is if you can't use death positively to just focus on the now. After all it will be now when we die, why worry about it till then.

I'd like my last words to be "Death is but a door, time is but a window, I'll be back!"

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
Sounds strange, but I just can't come to terms with it. I feel like it shouldn't happen, like I am special and shouldn't die. Anyone else ever feel that way?

One of the interesting things about mankind's ability to comprehend our mortality is our ability to live as if we aren't going to die. We do a lot of things to ensure a kind of immortality, and yet behave as if we aren't going to lose our lives someday.

Vasilisa Jade

Formerly Saint Tigeress
Hi there. Thanks for the thoughts. You and I have some things in common then. It just so happens I have experienced something I use to call out of body experience, however, it was under the influence of hallucinogens. Since it was so long ago, many have just convinced me it was not real. However, I still can't explain the things that happened. I just know our mind is extremely complex and powerful. Maybe enough so, that we can create worlds before us, and whether anyone else can see them or not, they might be there.

At any rate, I am both eager and a bit afraid of what awaits us, eager because I know it is inevitable, and afraid because I really want to be somewhat humble about it, and often feel like maybe I won't be worthy of whatever else is out there?

In the end, if this spark inside of us, this flow of energy simply extinguishes, it will be a sad thing. It is the thing I regard the most, the gift of life, and if it is all for naught, well it is a shame.

Cool. If that is a preparation for death you are interested in, this is the best book I have found so far. I like the way it is written, and there are tons of methods in it, which is great cause, different strokes for different folks ya know. lol.

http://www.amazon.com/Out-Body-Experiences-Have-Expect/dp/1571740570/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1268859115&sr=8-1

I have some music for you too. These are my two favorite songs about this subject:

[youtube]lYlhOmADOxs[/youtube]

[youtube]VrfNN-5P-h4[/youtube]

And if I die today I'll be the happy phantom
And I'll go chassin' the nuns out in the yard
And I'll run naked through the streets without my mask on
And I will never need umbrellas in the rain
I'll wake up in strawberry fields every day
And the atrocities of school I can forgive
The happy phantom has no right to *****
oo who
The time is getting closer
oo who
Time to be a ghost
oo who
Every day we're getting closer
The sun is geting dim
Will we pay for who we been

So if I die today I'll be the happy phantom
And I'll go wearin' my naughties like a jewel
They'll be my ticket to the universal opera
There's Judy Garland taking Budda by the hand
And then these seven little men get up to dance
They say Confucius does his crossword with a pen
I'm still the angel to a girl who hates to sin

oo who
oo who
Time to be a ghost
oo who
The sun is geting dim

Or will I see you dear and wish I could come back
You found a firl that you could truly love again
WIll you still call for me when she falls asleep
Or do we soond forget the things we cannot see

oo who
oo who
Time to be a ghost
oo who
The sun is geting dim

berrychrisc

Devotee of the Immaculata

The ego, the false self cannot fathom the cessation of its existence. I believe the ego, this particular body's personality does in fact die with the body. The spirit, the spark of the divine that lies within each person, cannot die as it is of the same substance as God. This, I believe, is our true Self, which normally lies dormant under the thick clouds of ego, but can shine forth when the ego is suppressed. This is the dichotomy that I see St Paul talking about when he speaks of the flesh and the spirit.

David69

Angel Of The North

For most of my life since I was a child! I didnt understand why I felt special that I was ME and I was there for somekind of purpose! maybe I realised that I was different from other kids including my siblings! But I never felt worthy of anything or desurving etc. The light shone on me... realising what I mean? Even the toughest nuts crack open to let in the glorious light!!!

Be well
David69

blackout

Violet.
It's all a story.
Sometimes we change Character,
Story line, Set, Cast, Color palate...

Sometimes others make us the villian
(in their own story). (or the hero, or the sidekick)
I have written mySelf ... my Story...
many different ways over the years.
But really I like the role of Maga most of all.

I was the "loser" in my story,
for quite some time,
choosing lack, over abundance...
in the role of "subservient".

But really I like being the heroine.
That role is exciting and active!
It's creative and empowering.
I'm also in the process of REALizing my OWN ending.
And it's a GOOD one!

If you promise not to tell...
there are plans for a sequel.
(In fact a whole series of sequels.....
till I feel like writing something else.)

I think I may very well keep the Purple/Black Cover in Gold Leaf.
(Unless I decide to become someone else... yet again... in some later volume)

joea

Oshoyoi
Its important to have kids. we live on through them! Ever wandered why some people experience past lives! I dont think that it was them in a past life but...
ever wandered how some people can just do something without being taught! Get on a horse and ride it straight away without any prior knowledge etc!
Along with eye, hair,skin colour and genetic defects etc I reckon we inherrit memorys and knowledge. Ever get the feeling of being guided by something or just know or get a strong feeling something is gonna happen before it actually does!
Just imagine 50 yrs from now and your grand son is having your thoughts and feelings! Maybe that will be you. we evolve.
Look at the way technology is going... we are advancing in leaps and bounds.
We acomplish our dreams and desires... We went to the moon!
See how long it takes for humans to manipulate the ageing process!!! speed up the renuell of cells. IIt was on news that they have cracked the canswer code! (I havent heard anything since btw so dont take it as fact) what I am saying is... we will live forever!
Get ready for the age of light guys :)

Not good eh m8 when your being serious?
Seems enough to me this is where then, reincarnation sounds right...reincarnate back into your own family types....

joea

Oshoyoi

-Peter Carroll

Very True...death does not bother me either...but only for the sadness of leaving behind those that you love.
the body or the ( vessel for the soul ) dies, but the soul. the energy or whatever you call it remains.
I also believe in going onto another life after death, as we have many lives to come and also have lived many in the past....this very thought makes me appreciate Live & Death the same way...Death is not the end of life...It is the completion of one life....I welcome death.

Last edited:

whereismynotecard

Treasure Hunter
Hmmm just cause a main character dies doesnt mean the world ends, admittedly you wont be around to see it exist but that doesnt mean it doesnt continue. I believe our view is irrelevant XD although its an interesting thought ill grant you.

and yes you will die what? are gonna stop it with your gun! " points to avatar"

You liar. I'm never going to die. You guys are krazy.