• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I have a feeling that the afterlife doesn't exist

Muffled

Jesus in me
Ever see how atoms create molecules and molecules creates cells , and cells create life?

Watching the actual and factual process unfold in real life must make for some hellava 'fantasy' there.

Pray tell how that assessment works here?
I believe that is not rebirth. That is recycling atoms and has nothing to do with a person.

I Am Hugh

Researcher
I know religious people are absolutely convinced of some sort of afterlife but for me I am not convinced at all for me personally I feel like nothing will happen when I die now of course I don't know what happens but I just feel like nothing will happen anyway what are your thoughts on an afterlife ?
Although I may use the term "afterlife" from time to time only out of convenience, I think it an odd expression. The Bible teaches that when we die, that's it. We're worm food, as they say. It doesn't teach the Greek philosophy of an immortal soul. That something, either a soul or spirit, goes on after we die. What it does teach is the resurrection. No going to hell, no going to heaven, we just die, and that's it. Then, at some undetermined time in the future there is the possibility that we're resurrected. That's everlasting life. I consider the "afterlife" concept different, and unscriptural. It is an afterlife in a sense, but not the sense in which it is usually used.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
Either we dissolve into something else or life has a fundamental quality to existence and its special characteristics that don't just pop up mindlessly.

Whateverist

I know religious people are absolutely convinced of some sort of afterlife but for me I am not convinced at all for me personally I feel like nothing will happen when I die now of course I don't know what happens but I just feel like nothing will happen anyway what are your thoughts on an afterlife ?

I've always felt exactly the same way as you. In fact I am so accustomed to it that I always think and say I don't really care if there is or isn't an afterlife. Life as I find it is enough. But what is this life I (we) have found? Is it delimited by this body, a particular identity or ego or soul? Except for the body those are just words whose referents are not so plane, simple or obvious. We acquire some sense of what is meant by those words but it is still an open question whether anyone has exactly the same thing in mind, just as it is with whatever it is that "God" refers to.

But I'm not a physicalist in a reductionist sense. I don't think everything stems from dumb matter. If I did believe that, that would be an aspect of my disposition toward the world, a basic belief I hold. But I'm agnostic about physicalism. That is one of many modern beliefs which I think are distorting the sense we make of our humanity.

Godobeyer

the word "Islam" means "submission" to God
Premium Member
Check about stories about near death experience.
They back to life.
People saw their body from distance, their souls out and back to body.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
I have a feeling that the afterlife doesn't exist

Don't be superstitious/unreasonable afterlife does exist, right, please??:
since you say not to be superstitious, unreasonable, what do you think happens after life? Any ideas?
A human is "body+ soul", when the body dies- the soul is to be dealt with as per the actions/deeds of a human, hence the afterlife of a person is connected with his soul , not with the body, which decomposes after death physically:
23:15
"then We developed it into another creation. So blessed be Allah, the Best of creators."

The "physical injuries disclose that there is a mysterious relationship between the soul and the body which is beyond the ken of man. Reflection shows that the body is the mother of the soul. The soul does not descend from outside into the womb of a pregnant woman. It is a light that is inherent in the sperm which begins to shine forth with the development of the foetus.
The Word of God Almighty(23:15) conveys to us that the soul becomes manifest from the framework that is prepared in the womb from the sperm, as is said in the Holy Quran (23:15) This means that God bestows a new creation on the body that is prepared in the womb and that new creation is called the soul. Greatly blessed is God Who has no equal as a creator." https://www.alislam.org/library/books/Philosophy-of-Teachings-of-Islam.pdf page-11 written by Second Coming 1835-1908

Right?

Regards
23:15 ثُمَّ اَنۡشَاۡنٰہُ خَلۡقًا اٰخَرَ ؕ فَتَبٰرَکَ اللّٰہُ اَحۡسَنُ الۡخٰلِقِیۡنَ ﴿ؕ۱۵

Last edited:

Whateverist

Get an electron microscope ....

How does that help your claim that we are "nothing else but atoms"? So you take a very special microscope and identify the presence of an atom .. from that you don't get "nothing else but". Your assumptions are coloring your 'evidence'.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
How does that help your claim that we are "nothing else but atoms"? So you take a very special microscope and identify the presence of an atom .. from that you don't get "nothing else but". Your assumptions are coloring your 'evidence'.
What makes you think otherwise?

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
I have lost, in this order, my inlaws, my dad, my mom,. my younger brother, and finally, my HUSBAND, in just a few years. I went to so many funerals, as immediate family, that it began to seem unreal. So believe me when I say, I've thought a lot about this. So here is the conclusion I've come to:

I think that "heaven" is sort of a holding place, where people from all walks of life end up. I think it's interesting and keeps their attention, but I don't believe it's the end of it all. I believe that God will come again in His glory, to judge the living and the dead, and that His Kingdom will have no end. I don't know how long that will take and I also don't care. The point is that we will eventually be judged and will THEN either go to heaven or hell. I think we are all in for a lot of surprises. Oh well. That's my take on things. And I don't sit around worrying about all this because I can't think of anything to really DO about it all.

Stonetree

Abducted Member
Premium Member
No but molecular rebirth is fantasy.
Molecules are not life forms, which is beside your point. I assume you mean they will not recombine to aid in the rebirth of the deceased individual. I agree.....Other organisms could use these freed molecules, however.

Spice

StewardshipPeaceIntergityCommunityEquality
I have lost, in this order, my inlaws, my dad, my mom,. my younger brother, and finally, my HUSBAND, in just a few years. I went to so many funerals, as immediate family, that it began to seem unreal. So believe me when I say, I've thought a lot about this. So here is the conclusion I've come to:

I think that "heaven" is sort of a holding place, where people from all walks of life end up. I think it's interesting and keeps their attention, but I don't believe it's the end of it all. I believe that God will come again in His glory, to judge the living and the dead, and that His Kingdom will have no end. I don't know how long that will take and I also don't care. The point is that we will eventually be judged and will THEN either go to heaven or hell. I think we are all in for a lot of surprises. Oh well. That's my take on things. And I don't sit around worrying about all this because I can't think of anything to really DO about it all.
You should get some comfort from reading Forgiving Ararat, by Gita Nazareth. It's a wonderful tale of heaven's reception area.