• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

i think jesus was confused...or maybe luke and john were

waitasec

Veteran Member
Is this a new claim??? All I see is another false insinuation.

i'm going by what the gospel accounts say...they are irreconcilable

you've got a jesus praying in fear to the point of death
then a few minutes later another jesus tells his disciples to take heart all is good

and then on the cross you got jesus screaming, 'why have you forsaken me?'
and yet another jesus turning to the guy hanging next to him, 'today you will be with me in paradise' (which contradicts the 3 day stint in hell, btw)

all as the same jesus...? you've got some 'facts' to reconsider, that is if you have any sense wonder...

Super Universe

Defender of God
john18:36 Jesus said, “My kingdom is not of this world. If it were, my servants would fight to prevent my arrest by the Jewish leaders. But now my kingdom is from another place.”

but then we have...

luke 22:36 He said to them, “But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. 37 It is written: ‘And he was numbered with the transgressors’; and I tell you that this must be fulfilled in me. Yes, what is written about me is reaching its fulfillment.”

38 The disciples said, “See, Lord, here are two swords.”

“That’s enough!” he replied.

...49 When Jesus’ followers saw what was going to happen, they said, “Lord, should we strike with our swords?” 50 And one of them struck the servant of the high priest, cutting off his right ear.

so then why did he ask his servants to get swords and why did his servants fight if his kingdom was not of this world?

Jesus stressed many time to the Apostles, "My kingdom is not of this world." Jesus kingdom is as the head of the universe, not Palestine. Now although Jesus is head of the universe don't take that to mean He is God. He's not. He is the Son. There's much, much, much more in existence than just this one universe.

The Jews of the time wanted another Jewish hero. That's what they expected and demanded from anyone who would be the Messiah. After seeing and hearing about the miracles they wanted Jesus to lead them to victory over the Romans, they wanted another Moses and wouldn't settle for anything less. But Jesus did not come to fight against the Romans, He simply came to teach the people, all people, about His Father, and He came to fulfill His mission which was to experience a human life.

As Jesus time came to the end He knew what was going to happen. He stressed to the Apostles that they should not fight to defend Him from His jailers, He told them that "He who lives by the sword, dies by the sword," but some of them still wanted to start not just a fight but a war against the Romans so they had swords with them. Jesus, knowing their hearts, admonished them to not be overcome by temptation.

Jesus did not force His way upon anyone, not even His Apostles. He came to teach, to update the old ideas with the new.

waitasec

Veteran Member
Jesus stressed many time to the Apostles, "My kingdom is not of this world." Jesus kingdom is as the head of the universe, not Palestine. Now although Jesus is head of the universe don't take that to mean He is God. He's not. He is the Son. There's much, much, much more in existence than just this one universe.
can you show me where...other than in johns gospel

i see jesus saying things like this in luke for example
luke 17:20 Once, on being asked by the Pharisees when the kingdom of God would come, Jesus replied, “The coming of the kingdom of God is not something that can be observed, 21 nor will people say, ‘Here it is,’ or ‘There it is,’ because the kingdom of God is in your midst.”[c]

[c] Luke 17:21 Or is within you

The Jews of the time wanted another Jewish hero. That's what they expected and demanded from anyone who would be the Messiah. After seeing and hearing about the miracles they wanted Jesus to lead them to victory over the Romans, they wanted another Moses and wouldn't settle for anything less. But Jesus did not come to fight against the Romans, He simply came to teach the people, all people, about His Father, and He came to fulfill His mission which was to experience a human life.

As Jesus time came to the end He knew what was going to happen. He stressed to the Apostles that they should not fight to defend Him from His jailers, He told them that "He who lives by the sword, dies by the sword," but some of them still wanted to start not just a fight but a war against the Romans so they had swords with them. Jesus, knowing their hearts, admonished them to not be overcome by temptation.

Jesus did not force His way upon anyone, not even His Apostles. He came to teach, to update the old ideas with the new.

i appreciate you putting in the time explaining jesus to me...

Last edited:

connermt

Agreed, Conner, one was given that freedom to believe anything that one so desired. One can believe that the BIBLE is based upon myths wit some(a few) actual valid moral values, but totally without a true Creator GOD. That's a True FACT presented in the BIBLE, But the converse is, also, a FACT,, all that I see had a Creator GOD. It didn't come to exist spontaniously.
With True Facts, It is necessary for Beliefs to be an essential part of them.

There's no proof we were "given" anything. But again, you can believe that.
That you claim not to believe you can into existence spontaneously shows you don't have a grasp on the most recent scientific claims. That would explain your confusion.
What do you define as "true facts"? Aren't all facts true? Unless your definition of true facts are biblical "facts".
Please elaborate.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member

luke 17:20 Once, on being asked by the Pharisees when the kingdom of God would come, Jesus replied, “The coming of the kingdom of God is not something that can be observed, 21 nor will people say, ‘Here it is,’ or ‘There it is,’ because the kingdom of God is in your midst.”[c]

Jesus was addressing his enemies the Pharisees at Luke 17v20.
The kingdom [or government Daniel 2v44] was Not within the Pharisees,
but Jesus was within their midst, or Jesus was among them as king designate of God's kingdom.
Not until verse 22 did Jesus address his disciples.
Continuing on to Luke chapter 19 there Jesus is clear to his followers starting at Luke19v11 that the kingdom would Not immediately or instantly appear but Jesus would have to go away before returning in kingdom power.

Super Universe

Defender of God

Not sure what you are asking since the references you provided (Luke) agree with the idea that Jesus kingdom is something that cannot be observed.

Matthew 13:11 "Because it has been given to you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it has not been given."

Matthew 26:29 "But I say to you, I will not drink of this fruit from now on until that day when I drink it new with you in my Father's kingdom."

i appreciate you putting in the time explaining jesus to me...

You're welcome!

sincerly

sincerly said:
So you believe that Jesus was joyful at the Disciples soon to be persecuted, cast out of the synagogue, being hunted and killed, That HE couldn't take them to heaven at this time because of their mission to spread the truth of Salvation to the world, that there was still a lot of things which they still were not ready to comprehend as yet, that they were left in a hostile world????

yup
mattew 5:3
"Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
yup
luke 6:22 Blessed are you when people hate you,
when they exclude you and insult you
and reject your name as evil,
because of the Son of Man.

23 “Rejoice in that day and leap for joy, because great is your reward in heaven. For that is how their ancestors treated the prophets.

From your answer here, it is easy to see why your claim erroneously----in this thread topic.

so in other words you can't provide a passage in john to support you unsupportable claim that he was sorrowful in john...
john 16:33 “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”

he never implies he is feeling any 'sorrow' because in johns account jesus is confident of what is to happen...a very different account in the synoptic gospels. why do you think they are called synoptic gospels in the first place?

John 16 is one of those chapters ("On the way to the garden") which you claimed inconsistent therefore contradictory. I'm glad you see some truth in it. Jesus was sorrowful that tribulations and persecution would be a part of their lives because of their belief and laboring to teach GOD'S message of salvation for human beings. However, HE left the Disciples with an encouraging reminder. John 16:33(as you wrote).
The other Gospels were stressing The Humanity side of Jesus, whereas, John was from the beginning of his record of the life and teachings of Jesus emphysizing the divinity side of Jesus. Not a contradiction or inconsistency, but the truth all four of the writers acknowledged. AND those Gospels and the Scriptures(O.T. & N.T.) were to be taught "unto all the world". (Who Jesus IS/WAS)

waitasec

Veteran Member
Jesus was addressing his enemies the Pharisees at Luke 17v20.
The kingdom [or government Daniel 2v44] was Not within the Pharisees,
but Jesus was within their midst, or Jesus was among them as king designate of God's kingdom.
Not until verse 22 did Jesus address his disciples.
Continuing on to Luke chapter 19 there Jesus is clear to his followers starting at Luke19v11 that the kingdom would Not immediately or instantly appear but Jesus would have to go away before returning in kingdom power.

so can you provide a passage in the synoptics that implies or says the kingdom of god is not of this world?

we see this:
luke 17:11 While they were listening to this, he went on to tell them a parable, because he was near Jerusalem and the people thought that the kingdom of God was going to appear at once....

waitasec

Veteran Member
Not sure what you are asking since the references you provided (Luke) agree with the idea that Jesus kingdom is something that cannot be observed.
we can't observe our thoughts either, and that doesn't mean our thoughts are not of this world.

Matthew 13:11 "Because it has been given to you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it has not been given."
this passage doesn't imply this is jesus' unearthly kingdom

Matthew 26:29 "But I say to you, I will not drink of this fruit from now on until that day when I drink it new with you in my Father's kingdom."
he could also be referring to a new jerusalem...

You're welcome!
:)

waitasec

Veteran Member
From your answer here, it is easy to see why your claim erroneously----in this thread topic.

John 16 is one of those chapters ("On the way to the garden") which you claimed inconsistent therefore contradictory. I'm glad you see some truth in it. Jesus was sorrowful that tribulations and persecution would be a part of their lives because of their belief and laboring to teach GOD'S message of salvation for human beings. However, HE left the Disciples with an encouraging reminder. John 16:33(as you wrote).
The other Gospels were stressing The Humanity side of Jesus, whereas, John was from the beginning of his record of the life and teachings of Jesus emphysizing the divinity side of Jesus. Not a contradiction or inconsistency, but the truth all four of the writers acknowledged. AND those Gospels and the Scriptures(O.T. & N.T.) were to be taught "unto all the world". (Who Jesus IS/WAS)

:facepalm:
so on the way to the garden he's encouraging his disciples
and when he prays he's scared, that doesn't make a bit of sense to me....

besides in john his prayer that is right before him approaching judas
in the synoptic gospels jesus is asking the disciples to stay awake...how can you expect to reconcile these 2 very different scenarios?

john 1
1 When he had finished praying, Jesus left with his disciples and crossed the Kidron Valley. On the other side there was a garden, and he and his disciples went into it.

mark 14:41 Returning the third time, (from praying) he said to them, “Are you still sleeping and resting? Enough! The hour has come. Look, the Son of Man is delivered into the hands of sinners. 42 Rise! Let us go! Here comes my betrayer!”
43 Just as he was speaking, Judas, one of the Twelve, appeared.

were the disciples sleeping in gethsemane where jesus was arrested or not?
or were they walking towards the valley when jesus approached judas and was arrested?

here:
The earliest gospel, Mark, describes Jesus and his disciples going out to the Mount of Olives after the Last Supper (Mark 14:26) and specifically identifies their stopping place: “They went to a place called Gethsemane” (Mark 14:32). Mark does not call it a garden but simply a “place” or “property,” in Greek chōrion. Jesus asks his disciples to sit down “here” (hōde) while he prays. He then “takes to himself” (paralambanei) Peter, James and John. The Greek word implies that he invites them to one side with him, not that he goes away with them anywhere. Distressed, he asks the three to remain “here” (hōde) and keep awake. The other disciples are presumably permitted to slumber, but not the special three. Jesus goes “forward a little” (proelthōn mikron), where he throws himself on the ground and asks that he might avoid his fate. To “go forward” is perhaps a rather curious way of referring to Jesus’ departure. A little later, Mark makes it clear that Jesus actually went away: “And again he went away (apelthōn) and prayed, saying the same thing” (Mark 14:39). Jesus does this three times and on returning always finds Peter, James and John asleep, and asks them again to keep awake and pray. The last time he announces that the hour of his betrayal has come. Then Judas arrives with an armed crowd sent by the chief priests, scribes and elders of Jerusalem and identifies his master by greeting him with the customary kiss.
Mark implies that, at the moment of betrayal, Jesus is not simply with Peter, James and John but with all the disciples who came with him across the Kidron Valley to Gethsemane. The armed crowd, carrying swords and clubs, seizes Jesus. One of the disciples standing near Jesus draws his sword and cuts off the ear of a servant of the high priest. A young man in the gathering, who seems to have been asleep in nothing more than a linen cloth or undergarment, a sindōn, attempts to follow Jesus as they take him away. The group sent by the chief priests and scribes grabs hold of the young man who manages to tear away, but unfortunately without his clothing (Mark 14:51); he flees nude. Mark specifically notes that “everyone deserted him [Jesus] and fled” (Mark 14:50). Jesus was therefore not simply with Peter, James and John, but with the whole group of disciples.
Luke and Matthew, basing their accounts of the arrest on Mark, have similar stories. Luke mentions that Jesus spent his nights “on the Mount of Olives” (Luke 21:37) during the time he was in Jerusalem, but at first does not say exactly where. Matthew also refers to him sitting and teaching his disciples somewhere at a place on the Mount of Olives (Matthew 24:3). As in Mark, both Luke and Matthew refer to Jesus and his disciples going to the Mount of Olives after the Last Supper (Matthew 26:30; Luke 22:39). According to Matthew, Jesus goes with them to “a place named Gethsemane” (Matthew 26:36), but there is no mention of a garden. Luke never bothers to record the name of the place, but simply indicates it was where Jesus regularly slept: “He came out and went, as was his custom, to the Mount of Olives; and the disciples followed him. When he reached the place, he said to them, ‘Pray that you may not come into the time of trial’” (Luke 22:39–40). Luke’s account does not single out Peter, James and John. Jesus goes away from all his disciples “about a stone’s throw” and prays. He returns only once, to find them all fast asleep, and asks them to get up and pray. Judas arrives, and the scene is the same as in Mark, apart from a few details: for example, Jesus heals the ear of the high priest’s servant, the poor young man who lost his clothes is not mentioned and there is no direct reference to Jesus’ disciples all running away. Matthew’s story (Matthew 26:36–56) is very close to that of Mark, almost word for word, apart from a few minor changes and the subtraction of the tale of the naked man. Clearly both Luke and Matthew thought this detail anecdotal and irrelevant.1
Neither Mark, Matthew nor Luke speak of a garden. Gethsemane is simply a “place” or “property” on the Mount of Olives.
The Gospel of John, however, mentions something called a kēpos. Kēpos can be translated as “garden,” but it is really a general term, more accurately translated as “a cultivated tract of land.” It can refer to anything from a large orchard or plantation to a small plot. More importantly, John never calls this cultivated area (kēpos) Gethsemane. Only by conflating this account with the stories in Mark, Matthew and Luke did later Christians formulate such an idea.
John’s account goes like this: “After Jesus had spoken these words, he went out [from Jerusalem] with his disciples across the Kidron Valley to where there was a garden/cultivated area (kēpos), into which he and his disciples entered. Now Judas, who betrayed him, also knew the place, because Jesus met there often with his disciples” (John 18:1–2). John, like Luke, describes a place that Jesus frequented. Since it is nighttime, the implication is that he intended, as usual, to sleep there. John’s gospel contains no story of Jesus’ prayer. Judas simply arrives all of a sudden with soldiers and Temple police. In John, Judas does not kiss Jesus. Peter is identified as the disciple who cut off the ear of the high priest’s servant, now named Malchus. Nothing is said about the disciples running away, but certainly they are absent as Jesus is tied and bound (John 18:12).

https://www.bib-arch.org/online-exclusives/easter-03.asp

btw, i'm still waiting for you to tell me what they were keeping watch for and why they asked to draw their swords...

Last edited:

Super Universe

Defender of God
we can't observe our thoughts either, and that doesn't mean our thoughts are not of this world.

this passage doesn't imply this is jesus' unearthly kingdom

he could also be referring to a new jerusalem...

:)

Well, think for yourself. Why would Christ want or need the earth to be His kingdom when he has the universe? Hmm, just the earth or billions of galaxies including the earth, which would I choose?

So then what does the Luke passage mean?

The Matthew passage could refer to a New Jerusalem? On the earth, you think?

Instead of God making man in His image, I see many who think the other way around.

waitasec

Veteran Member
Well, think for yourself. Why would Christ want or need the earth to be His kingdom when he has the universe? Hmm, just the earth or billions of galaxies including the earth, which would I choose?
but you are assuming that the kingdom of heaven and the kingdom of god are one in the same. remember, there was a growing tension between the romans and the jews that led to the 4 yr jewish revolt that ultimately destroyed the temple. jesus in luke is saying that people have the kingdom of god is within their ability to over come the romans rule over them...remember the messiah was expected to be a warrior king as he was supposed to be from king davids lineage....who was a warrior king.

So then what does the Luke passage mean?
it's hard to actually get to the bottom of it actually...since the gospels were 1st oral traditions and then written down, but my guess is that jesus original purpose was bring a sense of solidarity to his followers and start a movement to ensure the possibility of the kingdom of god finally arriving from within their hearts

The Matthew passage could refer to a New Jerusalem? On the earth, you think?
yes.

Instead of God making man in His image, I see many who think the other way around.

i'm not sure what you mean...

sincerly

so can you provide a passage in the synoptics that implies or says the kingdom of god is not of this world?

we see this:
luke 17:11 While they were listening to this, he went on to tell them a parable, because he was near Jerusalem and the people thought that the kingdom of God was going to appear at once....

Matt.6:10, "Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done in earth, as [it is] in heaven."
The same is recorded in Luke 11:2, And he said unto them, When ye pray, say, Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done, as in heaven, so in earth."

From GOD, Daniel was given vision of the earthly kingdoms and a Kingdom not of this world which would supplant the worldly kingdoms with GOD's Kingdom and these would occupy the "new earth". Daniel 2:43-45, "And whereas thou sawest iron mixed with miry clay, they shall mingle themselves with the seed of men: but they shall not cleave one to another, even as iron is not mixed with clay. And in the days of these kings shall the God of heaven set up a kingdom, which shall never be destroyed: and the kingdom shall not be left to other people, [but] it shall break in pieces and consume all these kingdoms, and it shall stand for ever.Forasmuch as thou sawest that the stone was cut out of the mountain without hands, and that it brake in pieces the iron, the brass, the clay, the silver, and the gold; the great God hath made known to the king what shall come to pass hereafter: and the dream [is] certain, and the interpretation thereof sure. "

Again, as Jesus said, "My kingdom is NOT of this world". Jesus in his Prayer speaks of Daniel's prophecy which establishes that the gathering of HIS People today will be the inhabitants of the "Kingdom" of that "Earth made New." Recorded by Matthew and Paul. (Isa.66:22-23)

Last edited:

waitasec

Veteran Member
Matt.6:10, "Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done in earth, as [it is] in heaven."
The same is recorded in Luke 11:2, And he said unto them, When ye pray, say, Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done, as in heaven, so in earth."
but that could easily be understood that the kingdom that resides in their hearts will come...

Again, as Jesus said, "My kingdom is NOT of this world". Jesus in his Prayer speaks of Daniel's prophecy which establishes that the gathering of HIS People today will be the inhabitants of the "Kingdom" of that "Earth made New." Recorded by Matthew and Paul. (Isa.66:22-23)
the point of this exercise is to give me a passage that says "my kingdom is NOT of this world" in the synoptic gospels....you haven't. you can't. you know why? because john isn't apart of the synoptic gospels.

so lets see here...
you :ignore: this question connermt asked
What do you define as "true facts"? Aren't all facts true? Unless your definition of true facts are biblical "facts".
Please elaborate.
and you continue to :ignore: the 2 questions i'm asking you
why were they asked to keep watch and why did they ask to draw their swords...

Super Universe

Defender of God
but you are assuming that the kingdom of heaven and the kingdom of god are one in the same. remember, there was a growing tension between the romans and the jews that led to the 4 yr jewish revolt that ultimately destroyed the temple. jesus in luke is saying that people have the kingdom of god is within their ability to over come the romans rule over them...remember the messiah was expected to be a warrior king as he was supposed to be from king davids lineage....who was a warrior king.

it's hard to actually get to the bottom of it actually...since the gospels were 1st oral traditions and then written down, but my guess is that jesus original purpose was bring a sense of solidarity to his followers and start a movement to ensure the possibility of the kingdom of god finally arriving from within their hearts

yes.

i'm not sure what you mean...

No, not really. Heaven is not a kingdom at all, that was simply an attractive word Jesus used to give primitive humans an idea that heaven not only exists but that it is valueable and important. Nothing exists outside of God so everything is His "kingdom".

Jesus in Luke is saying that no Roman or man can keep you out of the kingdom of God (heaven). He's saying, don't worry so much about this temporary material existence, there's something much more valueable ahead.

Jesus wished to bring a sense of solidarity and start a movement? Yep, He also wanted to give a true idea of His Father, not one based in ignorance. It's not often discussed that Jesus did not leave any writings and did not allow the Apostles to write down any of His sayings either. You'd think He would have? But there is great value in innocence slowly progressing into mature universal beings. He didn't want to explain it in detail, He just wanted each of us to have hope.

So, Jesus, in heaven, would come down to the earth and build a New Jerusalem? Nope. Never going to happen. The universe is material and subject to change, heaven is non-space/time and permanent, it's forever. And in a few billion years there won't be an earth anyway.

I know you don't know what I mean. Basically, you just repeat what your preacher's have told you. You don't study God's creation (the universe), instead you study the bible, one of the few things God did not create.

waitasec

Veteran Member
No, not really. Heaven is not a kingdom at all, that was simply an attractive word Jesus used to give primitive humans an idea that heaven not only exists but that it is valueable and important. Nothing exists outside of God so everything is His "kingdom".

Jesus in Luke is saying that no Roman or man can keep you out of the kingdom of God (heaven). He's saying, don't worry so much about this temporary material existence, there's something much more valueable ahead.
the same can be said about a persons aspirations and hopes..no one can touch them but the person who owns it.

Jesus wished to bring a sense of solidarity and start a movement? Yep, He also wanted to give a true idea of His Father, not one based in ignorance. It's not often discussed that Jesus did not leave any writings and did not allow the Apostles to write down any of His sayings either. You'd think He would have? But there is great value in innocence slowly progressing into mature universal beings. He didn't want to explain it in detail, He just wanted each of us to have hope.

i'm thinking in terms of historical context. the temple was destroyed and many many jews were searching for a way to reconcile why god would allow for that to happen...we see the birth of the jesus movement at the same time judaism changed in this pivotal point in history.
john was written about 60 yrs after jesus died and after the temple was destroyed. the other gospels floating around had people believing jesus' contemporaries would witness his return...
but they died too. and i believe the gospel of john was propaganda used to reconcile why he hadn't come back to those who believed in the jesus movement.

So, Jesus, in heaven, would come down to the earth and build a New Jerusalem? Nope. Never going to happen. The universe is material and subject to change, heaven is non-space/time and permanent, it's forever. And in a few billion years there won't be an earth anyway.

I know you don't know what I mean. Basically, you just repeat what your preacher's have told you. You don't study God's creation (the universe), instead you study the bible, one of the few things God did not create.

i'm a non theist....so yes i agree if there is a god it had nothing to do with any books claiming to be gods word.

Super Universe

Defender of God
Judaism changed? I'm not up on much of Jewish history but how did it change?

Many Jews wondered how God would allow that to happen? That's part of human history, people who thought God would be on their side against others. No one wins favor because of the special name they use to call Him or because of any ritual they performed. You already have your gift, life, and ascendance into heaven. People have to accept that and stop thinking God is going to make them rich and powerful on earth.

Jesus did return, just not to become king of the earth. He returned to visit the Apostles and re-strengthen their faith that He was/is the Son of God. He awoke Paul, then Constantine. Jesus has a job to do where He is. "Only through me can you get to heaven." Jesus, as God's representative, controls the access to heaven. The only reason He chose the earth to complete
His bestowal mission was because of the default of Adam and Eve. He felt we needed some good words.

The bible has been used as propaganda by religious leaders and others for thousands of years to subordinate women, control peoples beliefs, gain money, fight crusades, burn people alive, murder millions. There is revelation in it but it's so clouded with human misunderstanding that it's difficult to get a real understanding of the truth.

You're a non-theist? Well good, most of us around here don't have a clue what the hell we are.

waitasec

Veteran Member
Judaism changed? I'm not up on much of Jewish history but how did it change?
the temple was destroyed and the synagogue were a replacement.

Many Jews wondered how God would allow that to happen? That's part of human history, people who thought God would be on their side against others. No one wins favor because of the special name they use to call Him or because of any ritual they performed. You already have your gift, life, and ascendance into heaven. People have to accept that and stop thinking God is going to make them rich and powerful on earth.
i agree.

Jesus did return, just not to become king of the earth. He returned to visit the Apostles and re-strengthen their faith that He was/is the Son of God. He awoke Paul, then Constantine. Jesus has a job to do where He is. "Only through me can you get to heaven." Jesus, as God's representative, controls the access to heaven. The only reason He chose the earth to complete
His bestowal mission was because of the default of Adam and Eve. He felt we needed some good words.
well i'm very suspicious of paul.

The bible has been used as propaganda by religious leaders and others for thousands of years to subordinate women, control peoples beliefs, gain money, fight crusades, burn people alive, murder millions. There is revelation in it but it's so clouded with human misunderstanding that it's difficult to get a real understanding of the truth.

You're a non-theist? Well good, most of us around here don't have a clue what the hell we are.
you mean what they are... ;)
actually i think we are all a bit confused....but i won't hold you to that :D

edit:
here is a really interesting video you may be interested in
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/religion/watch/

sincerly

:facepalm:
so on the way to the garden he's encouraging his disciples
and when he prays he's scared, that doesn't make a bit of sense to me....

besides in john his prayer that is right before him approaching judas
in the synoptic gospels jesus is asking the disciples to stay awake...how can you expect to reconcile these 2 very different scenarios?

How can you expect to make sense(reconcile) when they ARE TWO DIFFERENT SCENARIOS. Your problem is in claiming they are the SAME.

Listen to and comprehend this next scripture which you posted and highlighted.(And I would hide my face/be ashamed, also.)

john 1
1 When he had finished praying, Jesus left with his disciples and crossed the Kidron Valley. On the other side there was a garden, and he and his disciples went into it.

Where was HE and the disciples at the time of "finishing that prayer"?? Not in the Garden as you contend because they had to cross the "kidron valley" before they "went into it". That prayer was long "finished" before Jesus even started to "pray" in the garden.

mark 14:41 Returning the third time, (from praying) he said to them, “Are you still sleeping and resting? Enough! The hour has come. Look, the Son of Man is delivered into the hands of sinners. 42 Rise! Let us go! Here comes my betrayer!”
43 Just as he was speaking, Judas, one of the Twelve, appeared.

were the disciples sleeping in gethsemane where jesus was arrested or not?
or were they walking towards the valley when jesus approached judas and was arrested?
They had been prior to judas and mob arrival; but Jesus had said to them "rise up, let us go; lo, he that betrayeth me is at hand". They were in the process of meeting that oncoming group.
(See above concerning the "walking"----they hadn't even entered the garden at that time. much less did any "sleeping".)

Your copied article following doesn't make your false claims to be correct. I will high-light in blue some important items/comments.
here:
The earliest gospel, Mark, describes Jesus and his disciples going out to the Mount of Olives after the Last Supper (Mark 14:26) and specifically identifies their stopping place: “They went to a place called Gethsemane”(
Gethsemane = "an oil press")
(Mark 14:32). Mark does not call it a garden but simply a “place” or “property,” in Greek chōrion. Jesus asks his disciples to sit down “here” (hōde)(at the oil press) while he prays. He then “takes to himself” (paralambanei) Peter, James and John. The Greek word implies that he invites them to one side with him, not that he goes away with them anywhere.(Matt.26:36-39 is more detailed-Matthew was one of the Disciples --Mark wasn't) Distressed, he asks the three to remain “here” (hōde) and keep awake. The other disciples are presumably permitted to slumber, but not the special three. Jesus goes “forward a little” (proelthōn mikron), where he throws himself on the ground and asks that he might avoid his fate. To “go forward” is perhaps a rather curious way of referring to Jesus’ departure.(Luke said a "stones cast") A little later, Mark makes it clear that Jesus actually went away: “And again he went away (apelthōn) and prayed, saying the same thing” (Mark 14:39). Jesus does this three times and on returning always finds Peter, James and John asleep, and asks them again to keep awake and pray. The last time he announces that the hour of his betrayal has come. Then Judas arrives with an armed crowd sent by the chief priests, scribes and elders of Jerusalem and identifies his master by greeting him with the customary kiss.
Mark implies that, at the moment of betrayal, Jesus is not simply with Peter, James and John but with all the disciples who came with him across the Kidron Valley to Gethsemane. The armed crowd, carrying swords and clubs, seizes Jesus. One of the disciples standing near Jesus draws his sword and cuts off the ear of a servant of the high priest. A young man in the gathering, who seems to have been asleep in nothing more than a linen cloth or undergarment, a sindōn, attempts to follow Jesus as they take him away. The group sent by the chief priests and scribes grabs hold of the young man who manages to tear away, but unfortunately without his clothing (Mark 14:51); he flees nude. Mark specifically notes that “everyone deserted him [Jesus] and fled” (Mark 14:50). Jesus was therefore not simply with Peter, James and John, but with the whole group of disciples.
Luke and Matthew, basing their accounts of the arrest on Mark,
(Mark may have written his gospel first, but he was not at the scene as was Matthew. Neither was he an eye-witness to the 3 1/2 years of personal teaching as was Matthew and JOHN. Therefore, Mark, if anything received his information from Matthew or John concerning the arrest) have similar stories. Luke mentions that Jesus spent his nights “on the Mount of Olives” (Luke 21:37) during the time he was in Jerusalem, but at first does not say exactly where. Matthew also refers to him sitting and teaching his disciples somewhere at a place on the Mount of Olives (Matthew 24:3). As in Mark, both Luke and Matthew refer to Jesus and his disciples going to the Mount of Olives after the Last Supper (Matthew 26:30; Luke 22:39). According to Matthew, Jesus goes with them to “a place named Gethsemane” (Matthew 26:36), but there is no mention of a garden. Luke never bothers to record the name of the place, but simply indicates it was where Jesus regularly slept: “He came out and went, as was his custom, to the Mount of Olives; and the disciples followed him. When he reached the place, he said to them, ‘Pray that you may not come into the time of trial’” (Luke 22:39–40). Luke’s account does not single out Peter, James and John. Jesus goes away from all his disciples “about a stone’s throw” and prays. He returns only once, to find them all fast asleep, and asks them to get up and pray. Judas arrives, and the scene is the same as in Mark, apart from a few details: for example, Jesus heals the ear of the high priest’s servant, the poor young man who lost his clothes is not mentioned and there is no direct reference to Jesus’ disciples all running away. Matthew’s story (Matthew 26:36–56) is very close to that of Mark, almost word for word, apart from a few minor changes and the subtraction of the tale of the naked man. Clearly both Luke and Matthew thought this detail anecdotal and irrelevant.1(John's account is viewed as contradictory, inconsistent, etc., because no mention is made of the "praying in the garden" and his focus is on Jesus being the SON of GOD and the Redeemer of mankind". Look at John12:27, "Now is my soul troubled; and what shall I say? Father, save me from this hour: but for this cause came I unto this hour. " Isn't that what the praying in the garden was about??? John18:1 indicated that Jesus and the disciples arrived and "entered". John is here addressing that event.)
Neither Mark, Matthew nor Luke speak of a garden. Gethsemane is simply a “place” or “property” on the Mount of Olives.
The Gospel of John, however, mentions something called a kēpos. Kēpos can be translated as “garden,” but it is really a general term, more accurately translated as “a cultivated tract of land.” It can refer to anything from a large orchard or plantation to a small plot. More importantly, John never calls this cultivated area (kēpos) Gethsemane.(Kepos is found five times in the N.T. and all translations I saw render it "garden" except for NLT and NIV when referring to the Mt. of olives---there "olive grove". John wouldn't " call an "olive press" a "garden".) Only by conflating this account with the stories in Mark, Matthew and Luke did later Christians formulate such an idea.
John’s account goes like this: “After Jesus had spoken these words, he went out [from Jerusalem] with his disciples across the Kidron Valley to where there was a garden/cultivated area (kēpos), into which he and his disciples entered. Now Judas, who betrayed him, also knew the place, because Jesus met there often with his disciples” (John 18:1–2). John, like Luke, describes a place that Jesus frequented. Since it is nighttime, the implication is that he intended, as usual, to sleep there.( Jesus had told Judas to do that which he had made a covenant with the Jewish leaders(Matt.26:3-5, 14-16) concerning betraying Jesus away from the people quickly(John13:27), therefore, that night Jesus didn't intend to sleep, but to be betrayed and crucified as HE had
previously told the disciples.)
John’s gospel contains no story of Jesus’ prayer. Judas simply arrives all of a sudden with soldiers and Temple police. In John, Judas does not kiss Jesus. Peter is identified as the disciple who cut off the ear of the high priest’s servant, now named Malchus. Nothing is said about the disciples running away, but certainly they are absent as Jesus is tied and bound (John 18:12).(The """Clearly both Luke and Matthew thought this detail anecdotal and irrelevant.""" is ok for the missing items in their accounts, but is a sinister mistake by John to not include items---or for others to misrepresent details which were shown. One can then claim the "didn't include" as proof for their false insinuations. John 16:32 tells of the running away.)

There still are not any contradictions in the Four Gospels. Just one's false claims of such.

Last edited: