• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If Jesus was God, explain this verse...

omega2xx

Matthew 4:1 Then was Jesus led up of the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted of the devil.

If Jesus was God, why was he tempted by the Devil? Can God be tempted by the Devil, his own creation?

Granted, he passed the test. But if he was God... Why was there a test in the first place? Does God need to test himself?

Are God and Jesus really one in the same? Please answer logically how this is possible given the verse above.

During His incarnation, although Jesus was God, He did not function as God. He put aside his godly attributes, omnipotence, omnipresence and onmniscience (Phil 2:7). To become our high priest he had to live like we doHeb 2:17), It was necessary for Jesus to experience temptations vbecaue that is hwt amn must do and God can't be tempted(Jas 1:13).

There is no logic in spiritual truths. must be accepted by faith alone.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Aamer,
You have a certain insight that most do not have. To me the Trinity is blasphemy, both to God and Jesus. Just imagine Jesus, who was created by God, Jehovah, who was his Father, listening to these blasphemous lies, and God being Almighty, and Immortal, cannot die!!!
There are numerous Scriptures that prove that Jesus is the son of God, not the One and only God, John 17:3.
There are several Scriptures that make Trinity impossible, where God is sitting on His throne and Jesus is brought in before Him, Daniel 7:13,14, Revelation 5:6-8. Also, could they be the same person, when one is in heaven, and is talking to the other one on earth?? Matthew 3:16,17, Mark 9:2-7, John 12:26-28. What about John 20:17, Hebrews 1:1-3, 2:9,10, 5:7-10. Maybe, instead of having one body and three heads, Trinity, the godhead is tricorporal, one head and three bodies. Laughable!!!
And yet man who is made in His likeness and in His image is a triune being - each part having a different purpose and/or materiality and yet one

So simple that a child can understand it

MJFlores

During His incarnation, although Jesus was God, He did not function as God

upload_2017-4-28_20-41-9.jpeg

After he was taken up in heaven and when Apostle Peter received the Holy Spirit he said:

upload_2017-4-28_20-42-16.jpeg

Acts 2:22 Easy-to-Read Version (ERV)

“My fellow Israelites, listen to these words: Jesus from Nazareth was a very special man. God clearly showed this to you. He proved it by the miracles, wonders, and miraculous signs he did through Jesus. You all saw these things, so you know this is true.

And yet man who is made in His likeness and in His image is a triune being - each part having a different purpose and/or materiality and yet one

upload_2017-4-28_20-36-45.jpeg

jtartar

KenS,
It is true that man is composed of three main parts, body, soul, and spirit, 1Thessalonians 5:23, man cannot live if any of these parts are missing.
We are the same as animals when it comes to death, Ecclesiastes 3:18-20. If Jesus had not given his life, as a Corresponding Ransom Scrifice for mankind, we would die, and remain dust for eternity, Matthew 20:28, John 3:16, Romans 6:23. If we become footstep followers of Jesus, our sins are not charged to us, but to Jesus, who has already paid the ultimate price for sins, his precious, perfect, fleshly body, Hebrews 7:22-25.

Kenny

Premium Member
View attachment 16984

After he was taken up in heaven and when Apostle Peter received the Holy Spirit he said:

View attachment 16985

Acts 2:22 Easy-to-Read Version (ERV)

“My fellow Israelites, listen to these words: Jesus from Nazareth was a very special man. God clearly showed this to you. He proved it by the miracles, wonders, and miraculous signs he did through Jesus. You all saw these things, so you know this is true.

View attachment 16983
LOL - I'm sure that was photo shopped. What part didn't you, as an adult, understand?

Kenny

Premium Member
KenS,
It is true that man is composed of three main parts, body, soul, and spirit, 1Thessalonians 5:23, man cannot live if any of these parts are missing.
We are the same as animals when it comes to death, Ecclesiastes 3:18-20. If Jesus had not given his life, as a Corresponding Ransom Scrifice for mankind, we would die, and remain dust for eternity, Matthew 20:28, John 3:16, Romans 6:23. If we become footstep followers of Jesus, our sins are not charged to us, but to Jesus, who has already paid the ultimate price for sins, his precious, perfect, fleshly body, Hebrews 7:22-25.
Wonderful said!

MJFlores

LOL - I'm sure that was photo shopped. What part didn't you, as an adult, understand?

images

Even I did not understand it - say what?

MJFlores

KenS,

How do you know if your Jesus is genuine or another Jesus?

The apostles preached the real Jesus:

For if someone comes to you and preaches a Jesus other than the Jesus we preached, or if you receive a different spirit from the Spirit you received, or a different gospel from the one you accepted, you put up with it easily enough. 2 Corinthians 11:4

I think my Lord Jesus is different from the rest of the Jesus everyone received.
upload_2017-4-29_9-53-35.jpeg

kjw47

How do you know if your Jesus is genuine or another Jesus?

The apostles preached the real Jesus:

For if someone comes to you and preaches a Jesus other than the Jesus we preached, or if you receive a different spirit from the Spirit you received, or a different gospel from the one you accepted, you put up with it easily enough. 2 Corinthians 11:4

I think my Lord Jesus is different from the rest of the Jesus everyone received.
View attachment 16992

Who was that in those pictures? Or don't the trinity scholars know fact? They do--they teach outright lies.
It was a sin for a jewish male to have ;long hair. God made a special covenant with the Nazarites-not Nazarenes--they should not cut there hair but could never drink alcohol.
So the religions that do not know the real Jesus have been portraying him as a sinner with ;long hair in front of the eyes of all creation for centuries--WHY? they know these facts are truth. How do they think Jesus feels about that atrocity?

Kenny

Premium Member

images

Even I did not understand it - say what?
Ok - in a Christian perspective - since I don't know what is your background

Do you believe you have a spirit that lives in your body?

MJFlores

Ok - in a Christian perspective - since I don't know what is your background

Do you believe you have a spirit that lives in your body?

Only from the bible:
People are composed of:
  • body
  • spirit
  • soul

May God himself, the God of peace, sanctify you through and through. May your whole spirit, soul and body be kept blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. 1 Thessalonians 5:23 NIV

Our spirit is not like this below:
images

The Spirit of God has made me; the breath of the Almighty gives me life.Job 33:4 NIV

So it is more like this:
upload_2017-4-29_20-47-28.jpeg

Then the Lord God formed man from the dust of the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath or spirit of life, and man became a living being. Genesis 2:7 Amplified Bible

That is why when people die:
There is no man who has power over the spirit to retain the breath of life, neither has he power over the day of death; and there is no discharge in battle [against death], neither will wickedness deliver those who are its possessors and given to it. Ecclesiastes 8:8 Amplified Bible

MJFlores

Who was that in those pictures? Or don't the trinity scholars know fact? They do--they teach outright lies.
It was a sin for a jewish male to have ;long hair. God made a special covenant with the Nazarites-not Nazarenes--they should not cut there hair but could never drink alcohol.
So the religions that do not know the real Jesus have been portraying him as a sinner with ;long hair in front of the eyes of all creation for centuries--WHY? they know these facts are truth. How do they think Jesus feels about that atrocity?

Very true and that is also written in the Bible:

Does not the very nature of things teach you that if a man has long hair, it is a disgrace to him, 1 Corinthians 11:14

That is why people have a different Jesus from my Lord Jesus Christ.

Kenny

Premium Member
Only from the bible:
People are composed of:
  • body
  • spirit
  • soul

May God himself, the God of peace, sanctify you through and through. May your whole spirit, soul and body be kept blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. 1 Thessalonians 5:23 NIV

Our spirit is not like this below:
images

The Spirit of God has made me; the breath of the Almighty gives me life.Job 33:4 NIV

So it is more like this:
View attachment 16995

Then the Lord God formed man from the dust of the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath or spirit of life, and man became a living being. Genesis 2:7 Amplified Bible

That is why when people die:
There is no man who has power over the spirit to retain the breath of life, neither has he power over the day of death; and there is no discharge in battle [against death], neither will wickedness deliver those who are its possessors and given to it. Ecclesiastes 8:8 Amplified Bible
So, then, what part did you not understand? Or was that a leading question?

MJFlores

So, then, what part did you not understand? Or was that a leading question?

I don't really know.
I would redirect the questions started by @Aamer:

Matthew 4:1 Then was Jesus led up of the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted of the devil.

If Jesus was God, why was he tempted by the Devil? Can God be tempted by the Devil, his own creation?

Granted, he passed the test. But if he was God... Why was there a test in the first place? Does God need to test himself?

Are God and Jesus really one in the same? Please answer logically how this is possible given the verse above.

images

He has a point.

For me the answer is my Lord Jesus isn't God.
My Lord Jesus was sent by God
The Son of God is not God

Kenny

Premium Member
I don't really know.
I would redirect the questions started by @Aamer:

images

He has a point.

For me the answer is my Lord Jesus isn't God.
My Lord Jesus was sent by God
The Son of God is not God
I disagree starting with John 1.1

And my point of mankind being three parts still holds

MJFlores

I disagree starting with John 1.1

And my point of mankind being three parts still holds

John 1:1 New International Version (NIV)

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

Love that intro.

What is the word?
the Word was with God
and then the Word was God

do you mean we have 2 gods?
One is God and the other is the Word God?

I thought Tertullian wrote the trinitas or 3 or Trinity?
What happened to the other, in the beginning?
Missing?

When you have one bible translation or a few - you would end up having a wrong notion that God is more than one.

But God is ONE - this is preached by the Lord God himself and his prophets, my Lord Jesus Christ and his apostles.
upload_2017-4-30_11-2-53.jpeg

So what is the correct English translation for John 1:1 then?

John 1:1 Moffatt(i)
THE Logos existed in the very beginning, the Logos was with God, the Logos was divine.

James Moffatt New Testament - THE Logos existed in the very beginning, the Logos was with God, the Logos was divine.
upload_2017-4-30_10-53-34.jpeg

Now what is Logos?
Logos, ( Greek: “word,” “reason,” or “plan”) plural logoi, in Greek philosophy and theology, the divine reason implicit in the cosmos, ordering it and giving it form and meaning

1024px-Prologus_Ioanni_Vulgata_Clementina.jpg

In the Latin Vulgate - Logos is Verbum and its meaning is

Verbum may refer to: Word, the smallest element that may be uttered in isolation with semantic or pragmatic content.

Kenny

Premium Member
John 1:1 New International Version (NIV)

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

Love that intro.

What is the word?
the Word was with God
and then the Word was God

do you mean we have 2 gods?
One is God and the other is the Word God?

Me has a body that makes me who I am who often speaks to me.
My soul is part of me makes me who I am and often speaks to my body.\
My spirit is part of me and often speaks to my soul.

DOES THAT MEAN I HAVE THREE ME'S?

And The Word was made flesh... and received a name... Jesus

MJFlores

Me has a body that makes me who I am who often speaks to me.
My soul is part of me makes me who I am and often speaks to my body.\
My spirit is part of me and often speaks to my soul.

DOES THAT MEAN I HAVE THREE ME'S?

And The Word was made flesh... and received a name... Jesus

If you have 3 me's then I think you are suffering from a split personality disorder. Sometimes people confuse three mental disorders, only one of which could be referred to as “common” within the population — bipolar disorder (also known as manic-depression), schizophrenia, and multiple personality disorder (also known by its clinical name, dissociative identity disorder).
upload_2017-4-30_22-53-13.jpeg

John 1:14 Moffatt(i)

So the Logos became flesh and tarried among us; we have seen his glory — glory such as an only son enjoys from his father — seen it to be full of grace and reality.
John 1:14 So the Logos became flesh and tarried among us; we have seen his glory — glory such as an only son enjoys from his father — seen it to be full of grace and reality.

Now what is Logos?
Logos, ( Greek: “word,” “reason,” or “plan”) plural logoi, in Greek philosophy and theology, the divine reason implicit in the cosmos, ordering it and giving it form and meaning

John 1:14 Contemporary English Version (CEV)

The Word became
a human being
and lived here with us.
We saw his true glory,
the glory of the only Son
of the Father.
From him all the kindness
and all the truth of God
have come down to us.

The Word = Logos = Plan of God about Christ

John 1:1,14 doesn't prove the deity of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Kenny

Premium Member
If you have 3 me's then I think you are suffering from a split personality disorder. Sometimes people confuse three mental disorders, only one of which could be referred to as “common” within the population — bipolar disorder (also known as manic-depression), schizophrenia, and multiple personality disorder (also known by its clinical name, dissociative identity disorder).
LOL - If you want to hold on to that position... but it didn't change the reality that you are three in one.

As far as multiple personality disorder:

Mark 13:38 Watch ye and pray, lest ye enter into temptation. The spirit truly is ready, but the flesh is weak.

Hmmm... you may have something there. The flesh says no when your spirit says yes!

John 1:14 Moffatt(i)

So the Logos became flesh and tarried among us; we have seen his glory — glory such as an only son enjoys from his father — seen it to be full of grace and reality.
John 1:14 So the Logos became flesh and tarried among us; we have seen his glory — glory such as an only son enjoys from his father — seen it to be full of grace and reality.

Now what is Logos?
Logos, ( Greek: “word,” “reason,” or “plan”) plural logo, in Greek philosophy and theology, the divine reason implicit in the cosmos, ordering it and giving it form and meaning
Definition (correctly quoted)
  1. of speech
    1. a word, uttered by a living voice, embodies a conception or idea
    2. what someone has said
      1. a word
      2. the sayings of God
      3. decree, mandate or order
      4. of the moral precepts given by God
      5. Old Testament prophecy given by the prophets
      6. what is declared, a thought, declaration, aphorism, a weighty saying, a dictum, a maxim
    3. discourse
      1. the act of speaking, speech
      2. the faculty of speech, skill and practice in speaking
      3. a kind or style of speaking
      4. a continuous speaking discourse - instruction
    4. doctrine, teaching
    5. anything reported in speech; a narration, narrative
    6. matter under discussion, thing spoken of, affair, a matter in dispute, case, suit at law
    7. the thing spoken of or talked about; event, deed
  2. its use as respect to the MIND alone
    1. reason, the mental faculty of thinking, meditating, reasoning, calculating
    2. account, i.e. regard, consideration
    3. account, i.e. reckoning, score
    4. account, i.e. answer or explanation in reference to judgment
    5. relation, i.e. with whom as judge we stand in relation
      1. reason would
    6. reason, cause, ground
  3. In John, denotes the essential Word of God, Jesus Christ, the personal wisdom and power in union with God, his minister in creation and government of the universe, the cause of all the world's life both physical and ethical, which for the procurement of man's salvation put on human nature in the person of Jesus the Messiah, the second person in the Godhead, and shone forth conspicuously from His words and deeds.
And the word (logos) WAS God. (Unless you want to specifically change what was said)

Can't be any clearer.

John 1:14 Contemporary English Version (CEV)

The Word became
a human being
and lived here with us.
We saw his true glory,
the glory of the only Son
of the Father.
From him all the kindness
and all the truth of God
have come down to us.

The Word = Logos = Plan of God about Christ

John 1:1,14 doesn't prove the deity of my Lord Jesus Christ.

So your application is wrong. Especially since we have to take ALL of the word and not be selective:

John 17:5 And now, O Father, glorify thou me with thine own self with the glory which I had with thee before the world was.
Is 48:11 For mine own sake, even for mine own sake, will I do it: for how should my name be polluted? and I will not give my glory unto another. (Emphasis mine)

Since the Father gave it back to The Word and the Father doesn't give His glory to another, then He simply gave it back to that which was part of Him. Ergo, AGAIN, He is part of the Godhead.

MJFlores

LOL - If you want to hold on to that position... but it didn't change the reality that you are three in one.

As far as multiple personality disorder:

Mark 13:38 Watch ye and pray, lest ye enter into temptation. The spirit truly is ready, but the flesh is weak.

Hmmm... you may have something there. The flesh says no when your spirit says yes!

Definition (correctly quoted)
  1. of speech
    1. a word, uttered by a living voice, embodies a conception or idea
    2. what someone has said
      1. a word
      2. the sayings of God
      3. decree, mandate or order
      4. of the moral precepts given by God
      5. Old Testament prophecy given by the prophets
      6. what is declared, a thought, declaration, aphorism, a weighty saying, a dictum, a maxim
    3. discourse
      1. the act of speaking, speech
      2. the faculty of speech, skill and practice in speaking
      3. a kind or style of speaking
      4. a continuous speaking discourse - instruction
    4. doctrine, teaching
    5. anything reported in speech; a narration, narrative
    6. matter under discussion, thing spoken of, affair, a matter in dispute, case, suit at law
    7. the thing spoken of or talked about; event, deed
  2. its use as respect to the MIND alone
    1. reason, the mental faculty of thinking, meditating, reasoning, calculating
    2. account, i.e. regard, consideration
    3. account, i.e. reckoning, score
    4. account, i.e. answer or explanation in reference to judgment
    5. relation, i.e. with whom as judge we stand in relation
      1. reason would
    6. reason, cause, ground
  3. In John, denotes the essential Word of God, Jesus Christ, the personal wisdom and power in union with God, his minister in creation and government of the universe, the cause of all the world's life both physical and ethical, which for the procurement of man's salvation put on human nature in the person of Jesus the Messiah, the second person in the Godhead, and shone forth conspicuously from His words and deeds.
And the word (logos) WAS God. (Unless you want to specifically change what was said)

Can't be any clearer.

So your application is wrong. Especially since we have to take ALL of the word and not be selective:

John 17:5 And now, O Father, glorify thou me with thine own self with the glory which I had with thee before the world was.
Is 48:11 For mine own sake, even for mine own sake, will I do it: for how should my name be polluted? and I will not give my glory unto another. (Emphasis mine)

Since the Father gave it back to The Word and the Father doesn't give His glory to another, then He simply gave it back to that which was part of Him. Ergo, AGAIN, He is part of the Godhead.

There is nothing to see in Mark 14:37-38 other than the apostles slept while Jesus was praying in the garden.

images

Mark 14:37-38 New International Version (NIV)

Then he returned to his disciples and found them sleeping. “Simon,” he said to Peter, “are you asleep? Couldn’t you keep watch for one hour? Watch and pray so that you will not fall into temptation. The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak.”

Man is composed of body, spirit and soul - it does not mean you are God. Even an egg is composed of the shell, yolk and egg white - it does not mean the egg is God. Even my coffee is composed of water, coffee and sugar - it does not mean my coffee is God. If one cooks a 3 course meal, again it does not mean it is God.
images

It means it is delizioso

If you think that the LOGOS is Christ [instead of the plan for Christ] why don't you call him Lord Logos or Lord Word? No one can't because the bible does not teach that.

Logos is the uttered by a living voice, embodies a conception or idea of God about Christ.

John 17:5 New International Version (NIV)

And now, Father, glorify me in your presence with the glory I had with you before the world began.

Does this mean Jesus is God? Again where is the Holy Spirit to make up the 3? Does it make you wonder why the HS was not mentioned?

How does it strike you that a few verses up on the same chapter, my Lord Jesus identifies who is the only true God?

upload_2017-5-1_9-42-40.jpeg

John 17:1-3 New International Version (NIV)

After Jesus said this, he looked toward heaven and prayed:

Father, the hour has come. Glorify your Son, that your Son may glorify you. For you granted him authority over all people that he might give eternal life to all those you have given him. Now this is eternal life: that they know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent.

Who said those words? Jesus
Where was Jesus? He was on Earth
Where was he looking? Toward heaven
What was he doing? He prayed
To whom did he pray? the FATHER
What did he say? It is about Eternal Life
What is eternal life? That people know the Father
As what? the ONLY TRUE GOD

If people do not believe what Jesus spoke about the Father what will happen? No eternal life.
Do you like to have eternal life? That is the question, you alone could answer. If you believe in Jesus, then he just told you how you can have eternal life.

Lets go back to the verse above, you might imagine trees [leaves, trunk and fruit] as God.

Your emphasis in John 17:5 is probably - the glory I had with you before the world began.
Does it say Jesus is God? No.
Did people existed before the world began? No.
If we are to assume Jesus pre-existed before the world began then people chosen by God have pre-existence too -

Ephesians 1:4 New International Version (NIV)

For he chose us in him before the creation of the world to be holy and blameless in his sight.
Does it say people are gods? No.
Did people existed before the world began? No.

My Lord Jesus was chosen before the creation of the world as people were chosen before the creation of the world.

He was chosen before the creation of the world, but was revealed in these last times for your sake. 1 Peter 1:20

I am lost at your use of Isa 48:11 - again I don't see the relevance, it is like what you quoted about the apostles sleeping. But I could show you a passage in Isaiah which says:

Isaiah 43:10 New International Version (NIV)

“You are my witnesses,” declares the Lord,
“and my servant whom I have chosen,
so that you may know and believe me
and understand that I am he.
Before me no god was formed,
nor will there be one after me.

Who is the Lord in Isa 43:10 who said
Before me no god was formed,
nor will there be one after me?

Same Book of Isaiah:

But you are our Father, though Abraham does not know us or Israel acknowledge us; you, Lord, are our Father, our Redeemer from of old is your name. Isaiah 63:16