• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If the world is predominantly religious, why is it such a mess?

psychoslice

Veteran Member
I think the world is in a mess because there are so many religions and off shot belief systems, and because of the ego of each belief system we have everyone against everyone else, all believing their religion is the best, and that is simply why we are where we are.

ImaTroll

For a world that is so religion-saturated (Abrahamic faith-based to be specific) ...why is there so much poverty, hatred, violence, bigotry, chaos, war, immorality, oppression, and greed?
the most ancient religions were inherently racist.

Glaurung

Denizen of Niflheim
For a world that is so religion-saturated (Abrahamic faith-based to be specific) ...why is there so much poverty, hatred, violence, bigotry, chaos, war, immorality, oppression, and greed?
Because believe it or not the world is complicated.

Why is art necessary? Stories? Movies? Plays? Books? Games? Music?

I fail to see how this is a fair response to his question in any way shape or form. In no way do any of the arts you mentioned try to rule our lives through dictatorship and take ownership of EVERYTHING!

illykitty

RF's pet cat
Because people can use anything to hurt others, it's not just religion. There's people who ignore parts of their teachings and instead focus on ugly interpretations, point their fingers at others, attempt to force their beliefs on others maybe not out of malice, out of belief that everyone united under their religion or interpretation would be a better world, etc.

Maybe a more peaceful world would be one where people should focus more on themselves when it comes to flaws (or concepts such as "sin") and focus on helping others rather than look down on them.

Danneskjold

Just my random question for the day. :pensive:

I like this post and the replies I read make great points. I generally think that the biggest contribution of religion is for the individual follower and individual faith community. Religion can help us suffer less in a world that is a mess. That being said, I've been interested in the Catholic church, though I'm not at all Catholic nor do I believe it's a better path than others. I've found similar things in other religions too.
  • Catholic Charities USA is the largest charity in the US.
  • Pope Francis was instrumental in the Cuba-US progress that will help millions of Cubans.
  • Pope Francis probably saved hundreds of lives by confronting Italian attitudes and policies regarding refugee's in danger on boats.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
And what did one of his predecessors say "Let 21st Century be for Christians". Well, why not for others?

arthra

Baha'i
I came across what I think is a fairly accurate perspective on the current trends...
We are entering the "Anthropocene" era..

"Human behaviour now has such an enormous impact on Earth that it has even altered the geology of the planet and tipped us into a new era, the Anthropocene.

Although humans have been leaving traces of their actions for thousands of years, it was not until the mid-19th century that they began to affect the entire globe, in what scientists have termed ‘the Great Acceleration.’

Since then the world has experienced a huge boom in population, environmental upheaval on land and in the oceans and global connectivity."

How Earth Entered A New Epoch On July 16, 1945 - Business Insider

Deidre

I think the world is in a mess because there are so many religions and off shot belief systems, and because of the ego of each belief system we have everyone against everyone else, all believing their religion is the best, and that is simply why we are where we are.

so much this!

thank you for your insight.

madera

TE="Deidre,is thspost: 4116230, member: 55994"]For a world that is so religion-saturated (Abrahamic faith-based to be specific) ...why is there so much poverty, hatred, violence, bigotry, chaos, war, immorality, oppression, and greed?

Just my random question for the day. :pensive:[/QUOTE]

Religion is the cause of so many problems in the world.
Pure and simply put.
madera

Religion I

Thana

Lady

Well unfortunately being religious doesn't automatically make you righteous. It just doesn't work that way.

pearl

I think if we truly lived up to what our respective religion truly teaches the world would be a different
place. The Mahatma once said he could be a follower of Jesus if it were not for Christians. Someone else
once said that 'its not that Christianity doesn't work, it has never really been tried.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Too lazy to figure if I answered your question already. Abrahamic religions are missing the point to religion. It isn't a one-man sport. We are all different and we can at least accept each other (which means their beliefs too) for their differences. As long as we impose our beliefs on other people, the victims will suffer as a result of it.

Instead of taking away religion, educate people about respect, acceptance, forgiveness, and gratitude for all people. Religion doesn't cause fights, its followers sometimes do. (Almost like, a knife is not dangerous. It's just an object until someone uses it for dangerous purposes.)

The word religion is so belittled these days I'm not sure if "mainstream" religions know what that word means anymore.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Abrahamic religions are missing the point to religion. It isn't a one-man sport. We are all different and we can at least accept each other (which means their beliefs too) for their differences. As long as we impose our beliefs on other people, the victims will suffer as a result of it.
The problem: Monotheism. "Worship me and no other". Not only the victims, but even the perpetrators suffer. See the bloodshed in the Muslim world and the loss everywhere else in the world.

budha3

At one time this was a type of heaven. Man got so caught up in their physical bodies that they forgot about God. Everything after the fall is what we see in the world today. Our world has turned into a virtual hell. People believe that this world is reality, so they focus on the color of our skin, wars, immorality, oppression, and greed. The truth is that the only true form of existence is love, not love in the abstract sense, but love the entity.

Deidre

At one time this was a type of heaven. Man got so caught up in their physical bodies that they forgot about God. Everything after the fall is what we see in the world today. Our world has turned into a virtual hell. People believe that this world is reality, so they focus on the color of our skin, wars, immorality, oppression, and greed. The truth is that the only true form of existence is love, not love in the abstract sense, but love the entity.

I like this...so you mean...we are love? We should become love?

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
I fail to see how this is a fair response to his question in any way shape or form. In no way do any of the arts you mentioned try to rule our lives through dictatorship and take ownership of EVERYTHING!

Heh...

That's not the point of the question though; it was about why "x cultural aspect" (religion in this case) is necessary despite not having a direct goal of "making the world a better place".

Religion doesn't inherently do as you suggest, anyway.

Last edited: