• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If you believe in God AND evolution, why do you believe in God?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Thank you for the link. Then your decisions about what is worthy of worship is a personal preference and not a claim of reality? That's not what I mean when speaking of God. Believers in God, don't generally view belief as a personal determination that is not also a reality that we all share.
Is that so?

Are you sure?

And even if you are correct, what would that entail?

Coder

This does not make even grammatical sense, let alone other kinds of sense.
Typographical. Sorry.
It is better that we must believe in God. I don't think that the scientifically knowable world is the answer, it's simply more "stuff".

Last edited:

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Typographical. Sorry.
It is better that we must believe in God. This world is unstable. And even it were, I don't think that I would want to live to be a billion years old, seeking the real answers the whole time.
Again: that does not make ANY sense.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I didn't ask why you believe in evolution, or rather if you think evolution is a proven fact. I ask nothing zilch about anyone's belief in evolution or whether you think evolution as taught by scientists is true.
You asked: The question is, if you believe in God AND evolution, why do you believe in God?

I don't believe in evolution, which is why I said:

I accept evolution as a scientific fact, I don't have to 'believe' in evolution.

You asked: why do you believe in God?

I answered that.

I believe in God because of Baha'u'llah. That's the foundation of my belief.
I never believed in God before I was a Baha'i because I had no reason to believe in God.
God was just a word to me.

Spice

StewardshipPeaceIntergityCommunityEquality
Good luck proving that Adam and Eve were the first man and woman who ever existed.
But anthropologists did name the oldest female humanoid remains ever found "Eve." [wink-wink] And tell us we are all descendants. LOL

Coder

Again: that does not make ANY sense.
I think that I see the problem. When I say it is better that we must believe, that is because what we see in the physical world that we can know, we also know has not satisfied our needs, otherwise we would cease searching.

Really? How does evolution explain 1. Brahman, Demons, and Nibbana 2. Chakkawatta Sutta story of eschatology?

In the context of the conversation where an aspect of Buddhist philosophy was put forth as supporting?, advocating?, describing?, "an evolutionary process" ...

And Darwin wasn't the first person to believe there was and is an evolutionary process. For example, it is intrinsic to Buddhism.

I was offered this in support of the comment:

The Buddhist concept of "impermanence", whereas all things tend to change over time.

So, based on that tenuous connection, I was being generous and acknowledging that at least in terms of a buddhist sense of "impermanence" as was presented, the impermanance of species could be seen as "compatible" with this aspect of Buddhist thought.

My main point was to express my skepticism regarding the notion that Buddha was an early adopter of biological evolution.

To answer your specific question, I do not see the ToE explaining any aspect of Buddhist philosophy, but I am admittedly no expert in either Buddhism or evolutionary biology.

Hope you will forgive my poor phrasing.

firedragon

Veteran Member
In the context of the conversation where an aspect of Buddhist philosophy was put forth as supporting?, advocating?, describing?, "an evolutionary process" ...
That's just a handwave my friend. Not an answer.

Answer the specific objections I brought up.

Yet, I am guessing you have never read any of the Buddhist scripture and are just making one of those statements floating around. That's the reason you will never in your life be able to answer directly to the specific things I spoke of.

Thanks.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
It's my belief. I believe that God exists and that there is more to know than the physical world. Happy to analyze what part does not make sense.
Your belief is yours to do as you please, but that does not have anything to do with either Evolution or anything that comes clearly from the previous post.

Coder

As you seem to know, this thread is about why people believe in God.
And even if you are correct, what would that entail?
So, I answered that. It entails a hope beyond what we know and that God is in charge and has the answer and that we are not just a clump of temporary matter. You arrived on planet earth beyond your control. You have no clue, just poof, here you are on planet earth. So no clue how got here, yet so sure nothing after? Not scientific.

Last edited:
That's just a handwave my friend. Not an answer.

Answer the specific objections I brought up.

Yet, I am guessing you have never read any of the Buddhist scripture and are just making one of those statements floating around. That's the reason you will never in your life be able to answer directly to the specific things I spoke of.

Thanks.

Hmmm. I acknowledged poor wording on my part, admitted to not having a command of Buddhist scripture (so no need for guessing on your part) and tried to explain what prompted my poor word choice. If that is not sufficient, so be it. :)