• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If you can't believe.....

do you?....or don't you?......believe

• Total voters

Thief

Rogue Theologian
You misunderstand me. We are all ignorant in some areas. For example. I'm ignorant when it comes to car mechanics when you might be ignorant in chemistry ect. But none of us should say "Yup it's true, there is no God" without having any evidence supporting it. I do find it hypocritical that atheists demand evidence of a god, yet they are exempt from providing evidence suggesting that there is no god in this universe. Unless they traveled all over the universe and beyond, they don't know the answer.

But it's kind of obvious that none of us have the real answers. Not until we move on to the afterlife and even then we may not get all of the answers/

I'm not expecting to be filled with all the answers.
I do expect my anticipations will be standing over me...as I surrender my last breath.

I also suspect.....strongly suspect.....
non-believers (even when given the ability) would look under every stone asking proof ......
never once realizing you can't find God that way.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
No, my intelligence, have you any of that ?.

Let me be humble....my Mensa test scored a lowly 125.

oh well.

and the nationwide comparison test I participated in.....
scored my science as 'superior'.....
at the same age my artist skills were graded one of 1400

and I seem able anything I care to do....
lay down concrete block, brick
put up stud wall, shingle houses, dry wall and paint
make a really nice knife of length
remove the dent from a car so as if nothing happened
currently a toolmaker

and I can teach you martial art......

psychoslice

Veteran Member
See, y

oh well.

currently a toolmaker

See, you talk crap.

SkepticX

I'm not expecting to be filled with all the answers.
I do expect my anticipations will be standing over me...as I surrender my last breath.

I also suspect.....strongly suspect.....
non-believers (even when given the ability) would look under every stone asking proof ......
never once realizing you can't find God that way.
A stronger way to put that would be that non-believers would accept the unknown for what it is rather than to presume in order to avoid facing the reality of uncertainty. But constructing it in a weak form certainly does make it more easily dismissed. Which works for you depends upon your purposes, and which you use tends to reveal them.

I don't think I will be alone.
Are you presuming that's a good thing, or that it earns you credibility points or something?

My IQ was measured at 142 once by the way (also at 136 and 124 using different tests), but I don't think IQ scores mean very much. Intellectual humility means far more when it comes to making smarts work when the rubber hits the road. A high IQ can be an asset (generally is), but it can also be a negative asset if you have too little intellectual humility and use it to validate personal presumption rather than to challenge it.

McBell

Admiral Obvious

oh well.

currently a toolmaker

All of which means nothing when talking about your beliefs about the after life...

Why the blatant diversion tactic?

Thief

Rogue Theologian
A stronger way to put that would be that non-believers would accept the unknown for what it is rather than to presume in order to avoid facing the reality of uncertainty. But constructing it in a weak form certainly does make it more easily dismissed. Which works for you depends upon your purposes, and which you use tends to reveal them.

Are you presuming that's a good thing, or that it earns you credibility points or something?

My IQ was measured at 142 once by the way (also at 136 and 124 using different tests), but I don't think IQ scores mean very much. Intellectual humility means far more when it comes to making smarts work when the rubber hits the road. A high IQ can be an asset (generally is), but it can also be a negative asset if you have too little intellectual humility and use it to validate personal presumption rather than to challenge it.

I agree about the iq points.....even though I find it difficult to have good conversation.
Seems most people drop their learning curve.
as if they've had enough learning and 'know' what to say for all occasions.

Wonder how that will work when they stand before the angelic.

And not being alone in the next life will be a VERY good thing.....

SkepticX

I agree about the iq points.....even though I find it difficult to have good conversation.
Seems most people drop their learning curve.
as if they've had enough learning and 'know' what to say for all occasions.
Can't argue with that. Cocksurety is pretty repulsive.

It also seems as if people have a lot of difficulty maintaining the context of a discussion or a chain of reason for more than a sentence or a link or two. I try not to conclude too hastily that it's because those skills have actually diminished, but the benefit of the doubt on that one is getting thin. The capacity for those skills probably hasn't diminished, but the Interweb and moderin culture just don't encourage the long game to any extent at all. It's all jumping around between bits and bytes, and it definitely at least seems to be effecting how people think.

And not being alone in the next life will be a VERY good thing.....
Makes sense--and even company without much to offer a conversation is far better than none.

I think you are missing one vital and important point with your car analogy. A human being designed in the image of God with a will and a mind is a creation vastly different than a mechanical creation, such as a car. A car may have flaws which are the result of mistakes of the engineer, but a human has it's own will and mind to make choices and impact his/her own life. So in answer to your question, unless God designed mechanical robots, which I don't believe is the case, I'd say the blame belongs to the human creation.

I'm not missing anything. Our minds which we use to make our decisions works in a certain way. If our decisions were the result of some mystical process were we made decisions out of thin air than perhaps you might have a point. However, whatever traits and instincts we possess and the way our brains work is encoded into our genetics. You cannot say a god made everything including us (our minds and souls) from nothing and then in the next breath say god has no responsibility for any decisions we make when he is the designer of our minds. Saying otherwise reduces your god from being god to a extremely powerful mad scientist who cannot control or completely understand his own creations. So which is it? Is god, god or some powerful mad scientist performing some kind of odd experiment we can't fathom the purpose of?