• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If you can't believe.....

do you?....or don't you?......believe

• Total voters

psychoslice

Veteran Member
I don't believe in anything especially religion, but I can see the metaphorical meaning in scripture. This is why I come to these forums, just to share my view of how I see the scriptures, and by doing so someone else may also. I did once believed in the scriptures literally and I know that this can cause confusion, so for those people I share my views. If people don't like my way of seeing the scriptures, then so be it, it means nothing to me.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
It wouldn't hurt to elaborate... And how are they "assumptions" when he flat out admitted that he was irrational and his views are absurd?

You assume he said he is absurd because he does not share his ideas.
You assume he thinks there is nothing in this universe greater than him.
you assume religion was not created to control others.
you assume people did not build statues and make prayers to deities who do not exist.
you assume there is a force behind it.
You assume deities interacted with humans.
you assume they were on Earth
You assume they can still be contacted
You assume what cannot be explained can still be experienced

Thief

Rogue Theologian
His position is unsupported, hence it is foolish and irrational to believe what he believes. Better?

Not at all.
My position is supported by cause and effect.

The universe is the effect....God is the Cause.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
And what caused god, I think human minds did.

Classic question.....
and it always goes back to the beginning.
Science will point the way but cannot help you when you get there.

Back to the singularity.
When you get there.....choose.....
Spirit first?.....or substance?

Your choice.
The rest of your belief system is mounted on the 'point'.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
Not at all.

No, your position is NOT supported by cause and effect.
Why?
Because you toss cause and effect out the window the second it gets you to where you want to be...
God.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
Classic question.....
and it always goes back to the beginning.
Science will point the way but cannot help you when you get there.

Back to the singularity.
When you get there.....choose.....
Spirit first?.....or substance?

Your choice.
The rest of your belief system is mounted on the 'point'.
Except your claim that God is the beginning is unsupported outside your faith that God is the beginning....

Thief

Rogue Theologian
No, your position is NOT supported by cause and effect.
Why?
Because you toss cause and effect out the window the second it gets you to where you want to be...
God.

God is the Cause.....the universe (one word) is the effect.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
I did not stop with God.
That would be the beginning.
Yes you did.
Hells Bells, you cannot even bring yourself to say you do not know what caused your god.

And this is completely overlooking the fact that you have to use your faith to get to a god in the first place.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Yes you did.
Hells Bells, you cannot even bring yourself to say you do not know what caused your god.

And this is completely overlooking the fact that you have to use your faith to get to a god in the first place.

I use science to get to the singularity.
At that 'point' the choice is waiting.

Theweirdtophat

You assume he said he is absurd because he does not share his ideas.
You assume he thinks there is nothing in this universe greater than him.
you assume religion was not created to control others.
you assume people did not build statues and make prayers to deities who do not exist.
you assume there is a force behind it.
You assume deities interacted with humans.
you assume they were on Earth
You assume they can still be contacted
You assume what cannot be explained can still be experienced

I didn't "assume" that he thought he was irrational. He says that he can't "back up his claims so therefore he's irrational. Did you look at his quotes? Also there is evidence of deities that were once on this planet, aside from the Sumerian tablets, there have been carvings, even skeletons which are clearly not human. I'm sure you've seen those cone headed skulls during those dig ups? Given that some gods wore cone like hats and that there's archaeological evidence showing these skulls, that supports the claim that there were deities on this planet, which I think are aliens. Very powerful and advanced aliens but aliens none the less. You can say they are assumptions and some are but so do have evidence along with it.

Also I try to put some common sense as it makes no sense for humans to be primitive and then all of a sudden gain intelligence enough for civilization despite the fact there are creatures millions of years older than humans and if people believed in evolution, you would think they would have evolved even more than humans. Of course deities are shown to have educated humans in civilization and made them more advanced which is also shown in Sumerian tablets. Also with common sense, it simply makes no sense for people to waste time building statues and temples to deities that never existed in real life? Don't you think it'd be plausible that deities once roamed the earth? Even giants were known to have roamed the earth, and there's evidence for that as well.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
I don't see how proof is relevant to either belief or disbelief. Theists manage to be theists without proof, atheists manage to be atheists without proof. We all have many beliefs that are not drawn from proof - proof is irrelevant.

Interesting...

I suppose proof is relevant when you are tying to convince someone else you are right.

Evidence requires interpretation, usually interpreted according to our world view.

Then use Rhetoric, Dialectic or Logical arguments to convince one another of some "truth".

Proof is what? A successful argument that's been made. An argument that has yet to be defeated?

I think I often look for the means to defeat an argument that's been offered as proof of someone's position.

When I come across someone who can defeat my argument, it provides an opportunity to learn.

The objective however is to present the argument that can't be defeated.

Then you have your proof?

Cephus

Relentlessly Rational
Not at all.

I know you won't answer because you never do, but how do you know God is the cause? Just make it up because the idea makes you feel good? Where is your evidence?

Theweirdtophat

I often see atheists say "Where's your proof of God or any deity, yet they can't disprove it either. I mean, did they roam all over the universe and search for God and came up with nothing? No, so their argument is less effective. Only arguement they have is "He's not in front of my face, so therefore, he must not exist."