• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I'm Leaving

Alien826

No religious beliefs
We just liked the location, the house prices seemed doable, the climate bearable etc. Also have a US friend who lives there and wants to help us move. He sent me the MAGA hat and t-shirt with the candy.

Any plans to get work visas? It's not easy. I'm English by birth and have lived in the USA for 35 years with a "green card" (permanent resident visa) so I know a bit about it.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
It wasn't criticism of Trump. It was the poster's stated wish that his supporters feel pain and suffering and the poster wouldn't feel any empathy for them.

I found it genuinely psychopathic.
You probably did know it all before but did you watch the recent two-part UK TV series concerning Trump and how he, mostly alone, tried to reverse what was a legitimate election result, and even where so many Republicans, who did work with him, were telling him that he was wrong and also telling him that what he was trying to do was unlawful - but he just carried on and nearly succeeded in an insurrection. You would vote for this immoral idiot?

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Any plans to get work visas? It's not easy. I'm English by birth and have lived in the USA for 35 years with a "green card" (permanent resident visa) so I know a bit about it.
She won't need a work visa if she volunteers
at museums. I can recommend some.
The pay is nothing, but it doubles every year!

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
I do find it funny that so many people completely lose the ability to understand how to derive meaning from context when it comes to certain words.

Being woke is either used in all sincerity as the pure and noble struggle against bigotry or prejudice or it is the mindless slur of a MAGA based on rank ignorance.

Some words just seem to have this magic power to make people forget how they are able to interpret all other words with nuance in order to best arrive at an approximation of what the user actually means in context.

I think a large part of the problem is that abuse or overuse of a term often renders it malleable to a point of meaninglessness in many situations.

When someone decries the "woke" in a context where they don't elaborate on what they mean, the backdrop that imbues the term with meaning is not there in the first place, so the implications of the word could pretty much only be guessed at unless there's more context.

I have seen some people denounce others as "woke" or "radical" merely for opposing mass slaughter of their people and friends. No, I'm not exaggerating; without knowing much of anything about the latter, the former used such terms to dismiss the vast array of concerns with a broad brush. Is it any wonder that some who experience such egregious dismissiveness for something like supporting their people's very right to life would be wary upon seeing a weaponized or vague brandishing of malleable terms like "woke"? Using a term to summarily denounce and minimize other perspectives and those who hold them in lieu of trying to understand others seems to me a far cry from good-faith discourse.

Not that I think the term can't ever be used reasonably, whether in an approving or critical context, but I just avoid it altogether because it has become, in my opinion, too malleable, weaponized, and enmeshed with political extremism from different camps.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
I wish the 60s Boomer people would leave and we could have some Trad Zoomers instead.

This is the case though.

Zoomers are more trad.

Zoomer men specifically are becoming more conservative. They are trending towards traditional forms of religion. The biggest one is their uptake in the Traditional Latin Mass. They are more likely than Millennials to want children, have traditional family structures, and be venture capitalists. I consume a lot of right wing media and these young men are all over it. What Boomers removed, Zoomers want back.

The women not so much.

It is said that it's the biggest sex divide in any generation over values and it accounts partially for why they are having less sex. Zoomer men and women don't seem to have the same goals and values.

I was reading some articles about this the other week, and the cited polls all suggested that while zoomer men were more likely than zoomer women to be conservative, the age demographic was largely liberal among both genders. White zoomer men were specifically far more likely to be conservative than other zoomers, but the generational trend was that conservatism (especially social conservatism) was a minority position.

The polls predominantly focused on the US and other Western countries.

What do you think of all of that based on your own experience? Would you say most zoomer men are liberal or conservative where you live, for example?

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
So when everyone has had his say on here, which I feel the need to address instead of just leaving in a huff without comment, I'm going to focus on my 3rd year of university, my reading, my boyfriend and our plan to move to Pennsylvania. This place ****s me up and worsens my already medicated mood disorder. I really don't need it.
@Rival i haven’t caught up on the thread, but SCREW RF. You don’t need to respond to this thread. Get outta here bud. You are saying this place is screwing you up for real real. Screw these internet people who you feel the need to address. Move on. I understand it can be hard to make the jump. But I want to encourage you to log off now and move on.

I think a large part of the problem is that abuse or overuse of a term often renders it malleable to a point of meaninglessness in many situations.

When someone decries the "woke" in a context where they don't elaborate on what they mean, the backdrop that imbues the term with meaning is not there in the first place, so the implications of the word could pretty much only be guessed at unless there's more context.

I have seen some people denounce others as "woke" or "radical" merely for opposing mass slaughter of their people and friends. No, I'm not exaggerating; without knowing much of anything about the latter, the former used such terms to dismiss the vast array of concerns with a broad brush. Is it any wonder that some who experience such egregious dismissiveness for supporting their people's very right to life would be wary upon seeing a weaponized or vague brandishing of malleable terms like "woke"? Using a term to summarily denounce and minimize other perspectives and those who hold them in lieu of trying to understand others seems to me a far cry from good-faith discourse.

Not that I think the term can't ever be used reasonably, whether in an approving or critical context, but I just avoid it altogether because it has become, in my opinion, too malleable, weaponized, and enmeshed with political extremism from different camps.

I personally don’t think it is very difficult to work out how people are using it though. There usually is enough context to make pretty accurate sense of it imo.

Using it against someone performatively using the latest faddish terminology to signal their goodthink is very different from using it to dismiss any changes in inclusion or cultural sensitivity over the last 50 years.

It’s also understandable why many people prefer not to use the term themselves, but that’s true of many terms we find it easy enough to decipher when used in context.

Secret Chief

Degrow!

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
I personally don’t think it is very difficult to work out how people are using it though. There usually is enough context to make pretty accurate sense of it imo.

Using it against someone performatively using the latest faddish terminology to signal their goodthink is very different from using it to dismiss any changes in inclusion or cultural sensitivity over the last 50 years.

It’s also understandable why many people prefer not to use the term themselves, but that’s true of many terms we find it easy enough to decipher when used in context.

Agreed. It's not that I don't usually understand or at least have an approximate idea of what different people mean when they use it; it's just that I find there are more productive, more precise, and less polarized terms in every situation in which I have seen "woke" being used.

River Sea

I wouldn't consider it fundamentalism, just traditionalism.

Capitalism has been around since the Middle Ages and had been fully incorporated into Christianity. Very few find it problematic.

@Rival I didn't know capitalism has been around since the Middle Ages, and how was capitalism fully incorporated into Christianity?

What steps were taken for that to happen?

Do people pay taxes to Christians who're of the Abrahamic religions? Are these Christians prefect so can receive these Taxes?

@Bharat Jhunjhunwala Did people in India pay taxes to Hinduism at any time? What happened in the middle ages in India?

@Rival @Bharat Jhunjhunwala
My vocabulary learning (1) Perfect means without error. (2) Prefect means born into a situation to rule.

So to further my practice, who was or is your favorite 'prefect person' and why? However, what areas was this prefect person not perfect at?

Last edited:
Agreed. It's not that I don't usually understand or at least have an approximate idea of what different people mean when they use it; it's just that I find there are more productive, more precise, and less polarized terms in every situation in which I have seen "woke" being used.

That’s fair enough.

I detest the terms left and right and think they are a terrible impediment to improved political discourse but still find myself using them as a shorthand.

I tend to put them in “quotes”, and tend to do that with “woke” too.

Left/right are far more problematic terms in general though imo as the clustering of political beliefs based on categories of identity rather than principle is not a good thing.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
That’s fair enough.

I detest the terms left and right and think they are a terrible impediment to improved political discourse but still find myself using them as a shorthand.

I tend to put them in “quotes”, and tend to do that with “woke” too.

Left/right are far more problematic terms in general though imo as the clustering of political beliefs based on categories of identity rather than principle is not a good thing.

Yeah, and I find that the political spectrum can vary so much among different countries as to render those terms into boxes of stereotypes in many cases. It is essentially centrist to support same-sex marriage in some parts of Europe, whereas that position in, say, Saudi Arabia is basically off-the-charts progressive or perceived as "radical."

Then you have some conservative politicians who strive for major socioeconomic changes—a drive typically associated with the left—like imposition of tariffs, and some left-wing politicians who support policies typically associated with the right, such as preservation of current governmental institutions.

I think this kind of muddled and often imprecise terminology is a considerable factor in polarization.

Rival

Diex Aie
Staff member
Premium Member
I was reading some articles about this the other week, and the cited polls all suggested that while zoomer men were more likely than zoomer women to be conservative, the age demographic was largely liberal among both genders. White zoomer men were specifically far more likely to be conservative than other zoomers, but the generational trend was that conservatism (especially social conservatism) was a minority position.

The polls predominantly focused on the US and other Western countries.

What do you think of all of that based on your own experience? Would you say most zoomer men are liberal or conservative where you live, for example?
Conservative in relation to Milennials, not necessarily as conservative as I am.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
I do find it funny that so many people completely lose the ability to understand how to derive meaning from context when it comes to certain words.

Being woke is either used in all sincerity as the pure and noble struggle against bigotry or prejudice or it is the mindless slur of a MAGA based on rank ignorance.

Some words just seem to have this magic power to make people forget how they are able to interpret all other words with nuance in order to best arrive at an approximation of what the user actually means in context.
Are you referring to me? I knew precisely what he meant by it, and described it accurately. Also, have you actually heard anyone use "woke" in the original context lately, at all, ever? It's almost always a conservative using it to refer anything progressive or rather what they perceive to be. Main character who's female and/or a racial minority? "Woke". Plant based meat alternatives? "Woke". Windmills? "Woke". Acknowledging the existence of gay people? "Woke". Had diet sodas, handicap parking spots, and bans on public smoking been introduced today, they too would be "woke".

Are you referring to me?

Nah was a general point.

knew precisely what he meant by it, and described it accurately. Also, have you actually heard anyone use "woke" in the original context lately, at all, ever? It's almost always a conservative using it to refer anything progressive or rather what they perceive to be. Main character who's female and/or a racial minority? "Woke". Plant based meat alternatives? "Woke". Windmills? "Woke". Acknowledging the existence of gay people? "Woke". Had diet sodas, handicap parking spots, and bans on public smoking been introduced today, they too would be "woke".

Have heard it in many contexts recently.

It’s not hard to differentiate them.

Clizby Wampuscat

I'm making this post since I'm Staff.

Please don't PM me about staff stuff as I won't be here.

I am so, so ****ing sick of this place. It's degenerated to the point that argument based on sound logic is now being dismissed.

It's full of people who will call anyone who disagrees with the MSM a conspiracy theorist.

It's full of people who are too old to understand how much things have changed. The medium age on here must be Boomer.

It's too Woke and despises anyone who has even vaguely conservative views.

I've been called racist, homophobic and other slurs used against people like me.

I am tired of having to defend views that were considered mainstream until yesterday.

Sick of people piling on me.

Tired of the one-sided nature of this forum.

Too many rebels here as well, too many people who have come here for a kind of refuge for heterodoxy. People here cannot even define Christianity. Barely any Catholics and mainstream Protestants. Almost no Muslims.

Too many Atheists who are really here to pick on religious people.

Too many people here who despise orthodoxy simply on the basis that it's orthodox.

Too much crap and not enough critical thinking.

Take care. If anyone is bothered I'm rival25 on Discord.
Good luck! I agree with most of what you said here.