• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I'm now a vegetarian!!!

Mister_T

Forum Relic
Premium Member
Radio Frequency X said:
That isn't a good reason not to eat them.
Sure it is.

But that's not what I was getting at.

It seemed as though some people were under the delusion that animals don't "feel much" they way they are slaughtered. Like I said, sugar-coated fantasy land.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
Mister_T said:
Sure it is.

But that's not what I was getting at.

It seemed as though some people were under the delusion that animals don't "feel much" they way they are slaughtered. Like I said, sugar-coated fantasy land.

It was once believed that animals were no more than mindless automotons that couldn't suffer. Some still believe this despite evidence to the contrary. Or, they simply don't think about the suffering of the animal or cannot empathize with the suffering. This may be due to the style of our consumerism. Our meat is prepared and packaged in a comfortable shopping environment; the slaughtering takes place far away.

When some people do see the slaughter, it becomes a shocking wake-up call. But I don't think it's just the death of the animal, it is the way it is killed.

I've hunted and fished. I know what its like to kill something. But factory slaughtering is something different. It's treating the animals as only produce - objects without intrinsic value except the nutritional worth to us. The treatment of the animal up to the slaughter is none-to-pleasant either.

methylatedghosts

Can't brain. Has dumb.
Pagaal~Mexican18 said:
I appluad you for making that choice, but alas i have an iron deficency and have to eat a cirtain amount of meat to be able to....well....live, there arent supplements that will supply my blood with enough iron so i have to eat the meat. i was a vegetarian after reading the book THE JUNGLE. that opened my eyes to so much. all of my best wishes to you.

Don't quote me on this, I can't say for sure, but I'm pretty sure I heard that the human body is able to absorb more iron from vegetables than from red meat. Along with Vit. C, this amount absorbed is boosted even more. The vegges you want are dark green ones like brocolli, spinach etc. I believe grains and things have a relatively high amount of iron also so wholegrain breads and things also help. Porridge is a very healthy breakfast and also has a fair amount of iron.

So being vegetarian does not necessarily mean you sacrifice iron intake!! :D:tigger::woohoo:

(My girlfriend has an iron deficiency due to coeliacs - intolerance to gluten. If you feel bleagh after eating things like bread and such you might like to check it out. But of course there are many more reasons why you might not absorb enough iron)

UnTheist

I don't agree that simply suffering is the reason we shouldn't kill animals. Suffering is inevitable in life. You think nature is suppose to be nice and delicate? Absoultely not. I wonder how different it is when a Lion rips it's prey apart while it's still alive compared to how we kill an animal. And Humans are equally included into that.

Mister_T

Forum Relic
Premium Member
`PaWz said:
I don't agree that simply suffering is the reason we shouldn't kill animals. Suffering is inevitable in life. You think nature is suppose to be nice and delicate? Absoultely not. I wonder how different it is when a Lion rips it's prey apart while it's still alive compared to how we kill an animal. And Humans are equally included into that.
This type of suffering can be avoided and it is unecessary. We are not lions. Lions need meat to live. We can live being vegetarian.

Animals are suffering because of humans taste for meat. Not humans necessity for meat. It is a form of gluttony.

UnTheist

Mister_T said:
This type of suffering can be avoided and it is unecessary. We are not lions. Lions need meat to live. We can live being vegetarian.

Animals are suffering because of humans taste for meat. Not humans necessity for meat. It is a form of gluttony.
As you should have known, we are not herbivores. we are OMNIVORES. We are designed to eat both meat and veggies.

I do agree that many people too much meat, but it doesn't mean it is wrong to eat meat.

Mister_T

Forum Relic
Premium Member
`PaWz said:
As you should have known, we are not herbivores. we are OMNIVORES. We are designed to eat both meat and veggies.

I do agree that many people too much meat, but it doesn't mean it is wrong to eat meat.
On the contrary. I'm fully aware that we are omnivoires. I never said that we weren't. Like you said we can eat meat and/or vegetables. Vegetarians have demonstrated that we don't need meat to survive.

UnTheist

Mister_T said:
On the contrary. I'm fully aware that we are omnivoires. I never said that we weren't. Like you said we can eat meat and/or vegetables. Vegetarians have demonstrated that we don't need meat to survive.
Just because we can live without meat does not imply that we should

UnTheist

Mister_T said:
Just because we can eat meat, doesn't imply that we should either. ;)
I agree with that. But the argument I see in this thread is that meat-eating is wrong. When it is not.

Mister_T

Forum Relic
Premium Member
`PaWz said:
I agree with that. But the argument I see in this thread is that meat-eating is wrong. When it is not.
No. The argument is that the unecessary killing and suffering of animals is wrong.

BTW, I'm a meat-eater.

UnTheist

Mister_T said:
No. The argument is that the unecessary killing and suffering of animals is wrong.

BTW, I'm a meat-eater.
What do you see as unnecessary killing? We have to kill the animals somehow. Are you talking about the way they kill them?

Mister_T

Forum Relic
Premium Member
`PaWz said:
What do you see as unnecessary killing? We have to kill the animals somehow. Are you talking about the way they kill them?
We do not live in the wilderness. We do not need to kill period.

UnTheist

Mister_T said:
We do not live in the wilderness. We do not need to kill period.
Just because we don't need to doesn't mean we shouldn't :D.

How can you be a meat-eater if you don't believe in killing animals?

Mister_T

Forum Relic
Premium Member
`PaWz said:
Just because we don't need to doesn't mean we shouldn't :D.

How can you be a meat-eater if you don't believe in killing animals?
It doesn't mean we should either.

How can I be a meat-eater? Well...it's like cigarette addiction. It's tough to quit.

Mister_T said:
For me it's both social and physical. Being formerly into body building, I required high amounts of protein (whey shakes and meat) in my diet. Being raised in an Italian family didn't help because we use meat in many of our dishes. I was raised on meat so it's very tough physically and socially, to give it up completely. :(

It's definitely not something I'm proud of. I feel ashamed at times.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
`PaWz said:
I don't agree that simply suffering is the reason we shouldn't kill animals. Suffering is inevitable in life. You think nature is suppose to be nice and delicate? Absoultely not. I wonder how different it is when a Lion rips it's prey apart while it's still alive compared to how we kill an animal.

But that animal dies as an animal, not as a factory-produced piece of meat to be sold at Walmart.

Flappycat

Radio Frequency X said:
I'm all about the food. I'm also all about a health diet and moderation.
I eat whatever I crave. I've maintained a constant weight for years, and I'm generally in healthy physical condition. This is with the exception of a rather nasty cold that I'm fighting off at the moment, but a weakening in my dedication to good sleeping habits is probably the culprit in that. Well, that and Evil Lord Bacteria.

UnTheist

Guitar's Cry said:
But that animal dies as an animal, not as a factory-produced piece of meat to be sold at Walmart.
I'm not sure what you're getting at. We are biologically designed to eat meat products. That is undeniable. But we are also designed to eat fruits and vegetables. A healthy balance is very beneficial