• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I'm now a vegetarian!!!

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
`PaWz said:
I'm not sure what you're getting at. We are biologically designed to eat meat products. That is undeniable. But we are also designed to eat fruits and vegetables. A healthy balance is very beneficial

Sorry. What I mean is that an animal is more than a food source. It's a living being. It can be factory produced, but it isn't a Twinkie. It is aware of its existence, and can suffer.

UnTheist

Guitar's Cry said:
Sorry. What I mean is that an animal is more than a food source. It's a living being. It can be factory produced, but it isn't a Twinkie. It is aware of its existence, and can suffer.
Agree completely. I feel many humans eat meat like it's candy.

I was just implying that nature itself can be a hostile place to live in, and animals will kill other animals for food. Humans are really no different. Except we abuse it

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
`PaWz said:
Agree completely. I feel many humans eat meat like it's candy.

I was just implying that nature itself can be a hostile place to live in, and animals will kill other animals for food. Humans are really no different. Except we abuse it

Agreed. :)

darkpenguin

Charismatic Enigma
Well it's been a week now and I'm still on the wagon so to speak and to be honest I've not craved once.
Also the inhumane slaughter aside I find myself getting a icky tummy at the thought of eating a dead animal I mean it's almost like canabalism in a way and that really groses me out!
I also have a different perspective aswell, I wonder what the animals think of us eating them!
'They aint that inteligent and don't feel like we do.' I'm guessing your thinking to yourselves now but animals are alot more inteligent and feeling then we give them credit for.

UnTheist

darkpenguin said:
Well it's been a week now and I'm still on the wagon so to speak and to be honest I've not craved once.
Also the inhumane slaughter aside I find myself getting a icky tummy at the thought of eating a dead animal I mean it's almost like canabalism in a way and that really groses me out!
I also have a different perspective aswell, I wonder what the animals think of us eating them!
'They aint that inteligent and don't feel like we do.' I'm guessing your thinking to yourselves now but animals are alot more inteligent and feeling then we give them credit for.
If you had to eat meat simply to survive? Animals don't care about other animals' feelings when they kill, do they? How are we any different? We need meat to live. That is genetic, and it's completely natural

darkpenguin

Charismatic Enigma
`PaWz said:
If you had to eat meat simply to survive? Animals don't care about other animals' feelings when they kill, do they? How are we any different? We need meat to live. That is genetic, and it's completely natural

I think you'll find that a majority of humans don't need meat, it's just a wanting of it, the only thing lacking in a vege diet is fat and heart disease, all other nutrients can be got just as/if not more easily from veg!
And we are different because we actually have a choise over what we eat, other animals do not!

Radio Frequency X

World Leader Pretend
darkpenguin said:

Animals are smart, but they don't feel things like appreciation. You won't become Ace Ventura because you stopped eating meat. :) But, I'm glad you are enjoying a lifestyle change. Most people really suffer through lifestyle changes and they become angry and bitter. That you are having an enjoyable transformation is a real blessing and for that, I'm happy for you.

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
darkpenguin said:
I think you'll find that a majority of humans don't need meat, it's just a wanting of it, the only thing lacking in a vege diet is fat and heart disease, all other nutrients can be got just as/if not more easily from veg!
And we are different because we actually have a choise over what we eat, other animals do not!

Who told you that a vegetarian diet has no fat? Whoever did is wrong. Unless you're a strict 100% vegan who doesn't eat ANYTHING with animal products (which would include anything that has even the slightest bit of dairy in it, like chocolate), and you cut sugar out of your diet, then you have fat in your diet. Even soy products have fat - soy milk has fat, and anything made with soy milk (like, yogurt and soy ice "cream"). Vegeterian meat substitutes have fat - there's about 4 grams of fat in a Boca burger patty. And, sugar becomes fat in the body, if you consume more than you work off. When digested it becomes glucose, and extra glucose gets stored in fat cells.
All dairy products, and anything made with dairy products contains cholesterol also.

So, yes, by avoiding meat and all dairy products you can lower your cholesterol level, and you'll have less fat than someone who eats any animal products, but don't fool yourself into thinking that a vegetarian diet is free from fat.

darkpenguin

Charismatic Enigma
MaddLlama said:
Who told you that a vegetarian diet has no fat? Whoever did is wrong. Unless you're a strict 100% vegan who doesn't eat ANYTHING with animal products (which would include anything that has even the slightest bit of dairy in it, like chocolate), and you cut sugar out of your diet, then you have fat in your diet. Even soy products have fat - soy milk has fat, and anything made with soy milk (like, yogurt and soy ice "cream"). Vegeterian meat substitutes have fat - there's about 4 grams of fat in a Boca burger patty. And, sugar becomes fat in the body, if you consume more than you work off. When digested it becomes glucose, and extra glucose gets stored in fat cells.
All dairy products, and anything made with dairy products contains cholesterol also.

So, yes, by avoiding meat and all dairy products you can lower your cholesterol level, and you'll have less fat than someone who eats any animal products, but don't fool yourself into thinking that a vegetarian diet is free from fat.

Thats a fair point but I'm not silly enough to think that theres no fat what so ever, I'm just stating that on a heathier diet I'm less prone to heart disease then I would be eating meat (even more so in my case as it runs in my family who are all meat eaters!).
And I get the fat thing, it's just less icky thinking about other fats compared to meat fats!

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Radio Frequency X said:
Animals are smart, but they don't feel things like appreciation. You won't become Ace Ventura because you stopped eating meat. :) But, I'm glad you are enjoying a lifestyle change. Most people really suffer through lifestyle changes and they become angry and bitter. That you are having an enjoyable transformation is a real blessing and for that, I'm happy for you.

I wish I could find a "Happy position"; I was a vegeterian until I realised that all flora and fauna have just as much a right to life. I just accept that a sacrifice has been made for my nourishment, and accept that as a human, I just have to eat.

You see, it isn't just meat - what about milk, cheese......?

I think it extrememly sad that the World (after the apple in the garden of Eden business) works on one almighty food chain - animals kill and feed on each other. one of the more horrendous parts of the programme in question focussed on the forcefeeding of geese on grain (and the restraint on them so that they can't use any calories) - to make them grow fat livers for what the French call "Paté de foie gras" - lioterally, paté of fat liver. *shivers in horror*

Radio Frequency X

World Leader Pretend
michel said:
I wish I could find a "Happy position"; I was a vegeterian until I realised that all flora and fauna have just as much a right to life. I just accept that a sacrifice has been made for my nourishment, and accept that as a human, I just have to eat.

You see, it isn't just meat - what about milk, cheese......?

I think it extrememly sad that the World (after the apple in the garden of Eden business) works on one almighty food chain - animals kill and feed on each other. one of the more horrendous parts of the programme in question focussed on the forcefeeding of geese on grain (and the restraint on them so that they can't use any calories) - to make them grow fat livers for what the French call "Paté de foie gras" - lioterally, paté of fat liver. *shivers in horror*

Everything has a right to exist, but insofar as it exists, it must take life to sustain life. The arbitrary distinction of "suffering" is irrelevant to me with regard to what we choose to eat. The best argument against the eating of red meat, is that it digests slowly and therefore if it is eaten out of moderation, will cause a person to become obese. Good health should be the measure of what we choose to eat and how we get those nutrients is a matter of personal preference. While I respect the Eastern idea of avoiding activities that cause suffering, I do not see it as an innately moral belief. It is a personal choice about who they are as individuals. But I feel as though there is nothing immoral about choosing to eat meat, which IS a natural human activity. Meat in moderation is actually GOOD for you.

It is a terrible reality that living animals suffer when they die. But we didn't create things this way. It is nature, natural, normal. If people choose to try not to cause suffering, that is noble. But it isn't moral and I don't believe it creates a realistic approach to living.

darkpenguin

Charismatic Enigma
Radio Frequency X said:
Everything has a right to exist, but insofar as it exists, it must take life to sustain life. The arbitrary distinction of "suffering" is irrelevant to me with regard to what we choose to eat. The best argument against the eating of red meat, is that it digests slowly and therefore if it is eaten out of moderation, will cause a person to become obese. Good health should be the measure of what we choose to eat and how we get those nutrients is a matter of personal preference. While I respect the Eastern idea of avoiding activities that cause suffering, I do not see it as an innately moral belief. It is a personal choice about who they are as individuals. But I feel as though there is nothing immoral about choosing to eat meat, which IS a natural human activity. Meat in moderation is actually GOOD for you.

It is a terrible reality that living animals suffer when they die. But we didn't create things this way. It is nature, natural, normal. If people choose to try not to cause suffering, that is noble. But it isn't moral and I don't believe it creates a realistic approach to living.

So cutting down forrests to have planting space for soybean to feed animals for our benifits instead of feeding people with the same beans is a realistic approach to living? Ok that makes sense!

And the moral argument, would you find it moral for soldiers to kill each other in the same way that we kill animals, after all it's for survival purposes!

Hema

Sweet n Spicy
Radio Frequency X said:

Your words show kindness and encouragement for darkpenguin. I commend you for that. However, one teenie tiny thingy I disagree with is that animals don't feel appreciation. IMHO, this is not the case. If you rescue a dog from an abusive owner and you treat the dog well, the dog will risk it's life to protect you and your property.

Hema

Sweet n Spicy
darkpenguin said:
So cutting down forrests to have planting space for soybean to feed animals for our benifits instead of feeding people with the same beans is a realistic approach to living? Ok that makes sense!

And the moral argument, would you find it moral for soldiers to kill each other in the same way that we kill animals, after all it's for survival purposes!

Good point! If people plant crops on the same land used to graze animals, much more people will be fed.

I already talked about how we don't need meat to survive. Of course, people can eat meat in moderation and be healthy but vegetarians are also healthy.

Mister_T

Forum Relic
Premium Member
Radio Frequency X said:
The arbitrary distinction of "suffering" is irrelevant to me with regard to what we choose to eat.
Great. Lets kill two birds with one stone and start eating the homeless and the hungry. After all, suffering is irrelevant when it comes to what we choose to eat.

Radio Frequency X

World Leader Pretend
darkpenguin said:

I do not view war as immoral. I view it as a terrible tragedy. No one has ever accused me of being an idealist. :) I look at the way things are and try to understand why and then try to form a stoic and intelligent reaction to reality as I perceive it. Your anger and embitterment for people that disagree with you makes me question the sincerity of your compassion. I would hope that you could appreciate that while I respect your decision and value it as well-intended, I disagree with it and do not accept it for myself.

That being said, yes, I feel that cutting down forests for soy, for animals, for us, is a realistic approach to living. I am however for the planting and caring of forests wherever possible, as a national (even political) priority. I'm also for the protection of all endangered species that are endangered as a result of human over-population. I am not cruel or unsympathetic to the plight of life other than mine. I am simply comfortable with my nature and am not impressed to change it.

Radio Frequency X

World Leader Pretend
Mister_T said:
Great. Lets kill two birds with one stone and start eating the homeless and the hungry. After all, suffering is irrelevant when it comes to what we choose to eat.

It is not in our nature to eat each other. It creates a great deal of social insecurity when people have to worry about being the food of other people. So, no, I think that's a ridiculous idea. Also, your jump to extremes is highly illogical and unproductive to a debate that has remained rational for quite some time.

darkpenguin

Charismatic Enigma
Radio Frequency X said:
I do not view war is immoral. I view it as a terrible tragedy. No one has ever accused me of being an idealist. :) I look at the way things are and try to understand why and then try to form a stoic and intelligent reaction to reality as I perceive it. Your anger and embitterment for people that disagree with you makes me question the sincerity of your compassion. I would hope that you could appreciate that while I respect your decision and value it as well-intended, I disagree with it and do not accept it for myself.

That being said, yes, I feel that cutting down forests for soy, for animals, for us, is a realistic approach to living. I am however for the planting and caring of forests wherever possible, as a national (even political) priority. I'm also for the protection of all endangered species that are endangered as a result of human over-population. I am not cruel or unsympathetic to the plight of life other than mine. I am simply comfortable with my nature and am not impressed to change it.

I get that you don't agree with it and don't want to change, as for my anger, the only thing that grates me is people trying to justify eating meat as a means of survival and not being open to the fact that we don't need meat to survive and try to back thier claims up with no substantial proof for thier argument!
As for what you said about endangered animals, what do you think would happen if we didn't get involved in the mating process of animals we eat? I guess we are doing them a favour really by making lots and lots of them to keep the species alive!

Hema

Sweet n Spicy
Radio Frequency X said:
Not as many as you might suppose.

I am vegetarian, my family is, my fiance is, my best friend is and we are perfectly healthy. Oh yeah, there are many other vegetarians friends that we have - they are healthy too. In my country, there are many Hindus who are healthy vegetarians so I that's why I can safely say that they are healthy.