• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Abortion Sin??

gnomon

I'm with Sunstone. I think pregnancies by way of rape are a way of teaching those women that they are sluts, and this is what they get for acting the way they do.

That or it reduces women down to mere chattle. Especially in light of young women, or girls, who are raped and conceive. Combine that with the notion of childbirth as punishment placed among women then what it truly means is that women are nothing more than reproductive machines set to suffer the wills of men and the punishment of God.

Now there's a crappy theology.

Back to the OP...still waiting for anyone to provide the Biblical notion of abortion as sin.

edit: Sorry, Khale just addressed it. My bad.

gnomon

I guess we have gotten a bit off topic. To answer the OP's question. No, there is little if anything biblically that explicitly declares abortion a sin. In fact, as far as the old testament is concerned, fetuses were treated more like property.

There is actually a law in the bible that requires monetary compensation for actions made against a woman that would cause her to lose her child. This is opposed to murder charges which would result in death for the convicted.

There is not (off the top of my head at least) anything in the new testament that deals with abortion in any sense. Not without a great deal of eisegesis at least.

That's the impression I was under. I always thought that certain other OT passages sort of reduced this notion of sanctity of life below that of obedience to God. What with the severe punishments meted out for numerous offenses.

But that's just the Bible. I would like to know more about Hindu, Buddhist, etc. notions of abortion and its sinfulness or its equivalence in those religions that do not hold to sin but do posit moral authority.

A quick perusal of the mighty web shows that Hindu scripture addresses the concept of abortion far more than the Judeo-Christian theologians.

Here's a relevant site providing a jumping off point.
Views of Abortion in World Religions -- Beliefnet.com

edit: Whether or not the views presented on that site are accurate is of course contentious I think that is primarily the issue.

Starfish

Please no sarcasm
If the governor signs it into law, it will be required in the state of Florida, that a woman must have an ultrasound before having an abortion. The reason is to help women to make a better-informed decision. Planned Parenthood, though it advocates sex education, is fighting it.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
If the governor signs it into law, it will be required in the state of Florida, that a woman must have an ultrasound before having an abortion. The reason is to help women to make a better-informed decision. Planned Parenthood, though it advocates sex education, is fighting it.

Sounds like emotional manipulation to me.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
In my humble opinion, murder is the killing of sentient life, of which a fetus is not. There is enough abused, neglected and otherwise unwanted children in the world as it is. How many of them have you pro-lifers adopted?

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
...what it truly means is that women are nothing more than reproductive machines set to suffer the wills of men and the punishment of God.

All right! Another real man! You've nailed it there!

(For the record, I don't want to get Gnomon in trouble, that quote was taken entirely out of context, and does not reflect his beliefs.)

Escéptico

:rolleyes:

Psychological cruelty helps me make much better-informed decisions.

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
Sounds like emotional manipulation to me.

In Texas they already require ultra sounds..Its to more accurately determine what stage (week) of preganancy you are in...If you are under five weeks you dont have to have the surgical procedure..they give you chemical abortion which is less invasive therefore safer...Also the further along you are the more they charge..

Blessings

Dallas

rheff78

I'm your huckleberry.
Escéptico;1116994 said:
Then, Rheff can have fun cutting welfare for single mothers.

It's win-win.

I wouldn't mind helping out if a mother gave birth to a baby by rape. I certainly wouldn't mind it at all .

rheff78

I'm your huckleberry.
In my humble opinion, murder is the killing of sentient life, of which a fetus is not. There is enough abused, neglected and otherwise unwanted children in the world as it is. How many of them have you pro-lifers adopted?

How can you prove a newborn baby is more sentient than a fetus?

whereismynotecard

Treasure Hunter
I'm almost glad my previous post was completely ignored... Arguing about abortion is a waste of time... Everyone already knows every argument for either side... and no one is going to change their mind...

Starfish

Please no sarcasm
I'm almost glad my previous post was completely ignored... Arguing about abortion is a waste of time... Everyone already knows every argument for either side... and no one is going to change their mind...
True. But I've never heard an answer from the Pro-Choicers to the following questions:
What about the baby's choices?
A woman claims the right to do as she wants with her body; but isn't it the body of the baby that's being destroyed?
Choice, yes! But can't that choice be in conception?

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
Some of ya'll people need to expereince being raped and then come in with your high and mightly opinions..

"Well IF I was raped I wound NEVER murder MY baby...I wouldnt be THAT selfish"...

It makes me want to puke just listening to it..

Blessings

Dallas

whereismynotecard

Treasure Hunter
True. But I've never heard an answer from the Pro-Choicers to the following questions:
A woman claims the right to do as she wants with her body; but isn't it the body of the baby that's being destroyed?

I think the main argument for those is that they do not consider the fetus to be a person yet... I disagree, but I think that is the most common answer to those questions... The baby doesn't need choices, because it isn't a baby yet. I think that is absurd, however, as if it isn't alive, what are they aborting??

rheff78

I'm your huckleberry.
Some of ya'll people need to expereince being raped and then come in with your high and mightly opinions..

"Well IF I was raped I wound NEVER murder MY baby...I wouldnt be THAT selfish"...

It makes me want to puke just listening to it..

Blessings

Dallas

Why? That's not a very christian attitude now is it?

gnomon

It's a fetus. The fetus has not developed the capacity to make choices. Frankly, the choice being discussed is that between the pregnant woman or other adults.

What if the act is saving the woman's life?

Preferably. But as I already pointed out it is the notion that removing the choice from those women who never made it is being discussed.

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
The hatred and the indifference is astounding..

About 3 in 10 women have an abortion..BURN THE WICKED WITCHES>>> SOMEONE FETCH THE MATCHES!!!!!!!!!!!!! LETS TEAR OUT THEIR UTERUSES FIRST !!!!!!!!!!

DALLLAS

rheff78

I'm your huckleberry.
The hatred and the indifference is astounding..

About 3 in 10 women have an abortion..BURN THE WICKED WITCHES>>> SOMEONE FETCH THE MATCHES!!!!!!!!!!!!! LETS TEAR OUT THEIR UTERUSES FIRST !!!!!!!!!!

DALLLAS

ummm, I don't think that what anyone is saying.