• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Abortion Sin??

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
Why? That's not a very christian attitude now is it?

Christian attitude??...You have got to be kidding me??...

Yes let ONLY women who have been raped make comment on this thread..But then again they would not most likely come forward becasue of the wonderful loving Christian attitude that ABOUNDS!

Dallas

rheff78

I'm your huckleberry.
What about the baby's choices?
It's a fetus. The fetus has not developed the capacity to make choices. Frankly, the choice being discussed is that between the pregnant woman or other adults.

That's funny, because I don't think a newborn baby has the capacity to make choices either, but yet we consider that murder. What's the difference?

rheff78

I'm your huckleberry.
Christian attitude??...You have got to be kidding me??...

Yes let ONLY women who have been raped make comment on this thread..But then again they would not most likely come forward becasue of the wonderful loving Christian attitude that ABOUNDS!

Dallas

So is it your contention that aborting a baby after a rape is ok?

Escéptico

That's funny, because I don't think a newborn baby has the capacity to make choices either, but yet we consider that murder. What's the difference?
What's the difference between a woman who's six weeks pregnant and a woman with a newborn?

Hmm, that's a tough one. Let's see...

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
So is it your contention that aborting a baby after a rape is ok?

Its my contention that when YOU are raped (or YOUR WIFE)and faced with that choice what you do is your deep personal choice and its NONE of my business to judge you or say what I would or would not do IF I was raped..Or that anyone else should judge you no matter what you decide..

And yes women who abort were reffered to as "wicked" on this thread..It was also alluded to that any woman who has an abortion should never be able to go on and have a baby after that...

Dallas

Father Heathen

Veteran Member

A newborn baby is a bit more developed than a fetus. You think that the moment a sperm cell fertilizes an egg cell... *blam* it's instantly a thinking, feeling baby?

Speaking of sperm and eggs, they're all potential children right (just like a zygote)? Our bodies produce countless, which then eventually die. It's a holocaust in our loins!

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
A newborn baby is a bit more developed than a fetus. You think that the moment a sperm cell fertilizes an egg cell... *blam* it's instantly a thinking, feeling baby?

Speaking of sperm and eggs, they're all potential children right? Our bodies produce countless. It's a holocaust in our loins!

Well, you know what they say "Every sperm is sacred..."

whereismynotecard

Treasure Hunter
Hey guys! remember when I said this around 10:50 this morning??

I didn't want to post in this thread, because we are just going to all hate each other a little bit more by the end of it, but before I go to class I'll say this:

It is not the woman's fault or the baby's fault, and I personally cannot see how anyone could allow thier unborn baby to be killed just because they were raped. Rape is a terrible thing, and it isn't fair that the woman would have to give birth to this baby, but it isn't fair to the baby to have to die just because it was created through rape.

Ultimately the mother has to decide if her feelings are more important than the life of a baby, which weather she likes it or not, is her own child. I cannot see how anyone could allow their baby to be aborted. I don't know... I wouldn't be able to live with myself if I let a doctor kill my baby.

Off to class then... I've got 10 minutes to get there...

Well... While it is fun to be horribly mean to each other, and make everyone frustrated and angry that they cannot get the person arguing against them to see things their own way, I believe it is kind of worthless to argue about this... By this point we have started the phase of the argument known as arguing in circles.

Like I said before, everyone has already heard every argument for each side of this issue... so... Now we are just making each other upset.

gnomon

A point of law. If we ascribed the equivalent status of person to a fetus than every miscarriage would be the legal equivalent of negligent homicide or manslaughter.

rheff78

I'm your huckleberry.
Its my contention that when YOU are raped (or YOUR WIFE)and faced with that choice what you do is your deep personal choice and its NONE of my business to judge you or say what I would or would not do IF I was raped..Or that anyone else should judge you no matter what you decide..

And yes women who abort were reffered to as "wicked" on this thread..It was also alluded to that any woman who has an abortion should never be able to go on and have a baby after that...

Dallas

So, you're pro-choice? And, I'm sorry, I never said any of those things.

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..

Well... While it is fun to be horribly mean to each other, and make everyone frustrated and angry that they cannot get the person arguing against them to see things their own way, I believe it is kind of worthless to argue about this... By this point we have started the phase of the argument known as arguing in circles.

Like I said before, everyone has already heard every argument for each side of this issue... so... Now we are just making each other upset.

Hannah I dont hate anyone..I just LOVE it when people think they know what they would or wouldnt do especially over something as traumatic and damaging as beign raped..Many women end up committing suicide..Adn even not beign raped..Many women have had abortions for their own personal reasons..Adn its like there is a special HATRED and disgust towards them and I find it even MORE fascinating when its a man with this pointing finger...

Dallas

rheff78

I'm your huckleberry.
A point of law. If we ascribed the equivalent status of person to a fetus than every miscarriage would be the legal equivalent of negligent homicide or manslaughter.

Nope, that's nonsense. If the body rejects the fetus on it's on or a woman has a miscarriage that's nature. The difference is a person having an abortion is actively seeking out treatment to get rid of a pregnancy. There's a big difference.

gnomon

Actually, you are correct.

The question posed was "Is abortion a sin?".

Frankly, all our opinions on the nature of abortion have not come close to answering a question referenced in certain religious cultures but surprisingly lacking in others.

However, what are the chances this discussion will actually turn theological rather than rhetorical?:shrug:

I didn't want to get suckered in as well but hey......er....very good opportunity for a slam here......nevermind. I'll bow out until the OP is actually brought back into question.

Wandered Off

Sporadic Driveby Member
I believe it is kind of worthless to argue about this...
What is something not worthless to argue about, from a nihilist POV?
The same could be said for arguing about the existence of God or whether God could create a burrito so hot he couldn't eat it. People like to argue.

whereismynotecard

Treasure Hunter
Hannah I dont hate anyone..I just LOVE it when people think they know what they would or wouldnt do especially over something as traumatic and damaging as beign raped..Many women end up committing suicide..Adn even not beign raped..Many women have had abortions for their own personal reasons..Adn its like there is a special HATRED and disgust towards them and I find it even MORE fascinating when its a man with this pointing finger...

Dallas

I'm not a man, but I've seriously considered what I'd do if I was raped and it resulted in pregancy. I would keep my baby, because it is still my baby. Just because the father is a ********* doesn't mean I wouldn't still love that baby who would also be mine...

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
I'm not a man, but I've seriously considered what I'd do if I was raped and it resulted in pregancy. I would keep my baby, because it is still my baby. Just because the father is a ********* doesn't mean I wouldn't still love that baby who would also be mine...

HOW do YOU know?..UNLESS you have been RAPED??????????

Dallas

whereismynotecard

Treasure Hunter
What is something not worthless to argue about, from a nihilist POV?
The same could be said for arguing about the existence of God or whether God could create a burrito so hot he couldn't eat it. People like to argue.

I've notcied... and it is fun to argue at first, but after a while you notice that you are not getting anywhere, and you are just feeling angry...

gnomon

Nope, that's nonsense. If the body rejects the fetus on it's on or a woman has a miscarriage that's nature. The difference is a person having an abortion is actively seeking out treatment to get rid of a pregnancy. There's a big difference.

AAAAAAAAAAAhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay, after this response I'll bow out.

If a pregnant woman consumes illicit drugs, smokes or drinks or participates in any behavior which results in or highly risks in the miscarriage of a fetus and that fetus is granted the status of a person there is no difference at all.

But as this is now a point of legal distinction and moving even further beyond the scope of religious sin..........I'll just have to accept a disagreement on this point of view.

edit: For note, to be clear on my position regarding abortion so as not to confuse, or have to continue down this road, is about as liberal as one can get. Not far out liberal. More liberal libertarian.