• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is being gay a sin according to your religion?

Rick O'Shez

Irishman bouncing off walls
Why must you chalk it up to it being an atheist thing? It isn't because someone is an atheist that they may not like the bible teachings of homosexuality (or anything else for that matter), but because the bible teachings themselves are discriminatory and hateful and the ramblings of ignorant desert people from long ago. It doesn't take an atheist to see that. Many theists see it as well, myself included.
You need to get off this anti-atheist kick. Honestly, it isn't just atheists that have problems with your beliefs. It isn't just atheists that see the inconsistencies and ugliness of the bible. Other theists do as well.

Indeed. I would think that a lot of theists are rather embarrassed by the prejudiced views being promoted here.

Rick O'Shez

I have explained many times in this thread that I wish homosexuals all the best personally....and that I am not posting the bible passages condemning homosexuality to insult them...

Insulting people is exactly what you're doing. How would you like to be called an abomination?

"Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you."

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
So I am wasting time by pointing out yet another major flaw in your position. Yeah, right.o_O
You keep butting in to other people's exchanges and it only means I've got to explain the same thing again...you are a serial time waster.... the context of the discussion with ST was about the meaning on Acts 15:13-21 as it pertains to what OT laws were gentile Christian expected to follow....and moral laws were....and they would include the condemnation of homosexuality because it is spelt out in Romans 1:26-27 .. 1 Corinthians 6:9-10 ... 1 and Timothy 1:10

Rick O'Shez

You keep butting in to other people's exchanges and it onlt means I've got to explain the same thing again...you are a serial time waster.... the context of the discussion with ST was about the meaning on Acts 15:13-21 as it pertains to what OT laws were gentile Christian expected to follow....and moral laws were....and they would include the condemnation of homosexuality because it is spelt out in Romans 1:26-27 .. 1 Corinthians 6:9-10 ... 1 and Timothy 1:10

No, it's the ten commandments which are important. You are just trying to justify your prejudice.

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
Insulting people is exactly what you're doing. How would you like to be called an abomination?

"Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you."
Serial time waster....:rolleyes:

JoStories

I believe this scripture is relevant according to the Holy Spirit and that He is not cherry picking.

I believe I do often. For me it is reasonable since Jesus has removed my sin and cleansed my thinking to judge others because they will find nothing to judge in me.

I most certainly do find things to judge about you. I find you to be a bigot based on your posts. Single minded and rather more than a little pious. You said in another post that Christ washed you clean of sin and yet, you are human. Are you going to sit there and tell me you have never sinned again since that day?

JoStories

I believe The Holy Spirit helps us decide what is relevant and what is not. It serves much better than a law written for an ancient people with an ancient culture. This is the difference between Christianity and Islam or Judaism. Christianity is presently relevant whereas the others are stuck in antiquated ways that are not as relevant today.
And yet you continue to cherry pick from that 'antiquated' book and leave the rest. Outside of Paulian dogma, which IMO does not speak from Christ, Jesus said nothing about homosexuality. Not one word. So you are saying that all the Muslims here and all the Jews are not as good as you. Talk about hubris!

JoStories

I understand the relevant passage in Acts to mean that the minutiae of Jewish religious culture were not required of Christian gentiles, but the main moral teachings were....particularly as exemplified in the ten commandments.. Regardless, Christian teaching regarding homosexuality is also in the NT, and it carries on from Leviticus in the same theme as we see in Romans 1:26-27 .. 1 Corinthians 6:9-10 ... 1 Timothy 1:10 .
And every single one of those verses are from Paul making it Paulian dogma and nothing that is attributed to Jesus. Care to try again? Jesus said nothing about gays.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
Yes, I was raised to live my life according to the teachings of scripture.....and as a result I have continued to try to the best of my ability to do that consistently. I have explained many times in this thread that I wish homosexuals all the best personally....and that I am not posting the bible passages condemning homosexuality to insult them....I have posted them as that is the honest answer in response to the thread title question...
Well I'm happy to hear that. To me, sexual orientation is but one tiny facet of what makes up a person. It really doesn't even come into play for me as I feel like a person's sexual orientation really isn't even my business.

Unfortunately the world is not heaven and we humans are forever facing challenges of one sort or another and I agree we should all try to treat each other respectfully and kindly....The test comes when we meet those with whom we disagree absolutely on some subject or another...it is here I always try to find an understanding where if we can't agree, we can at least agree to disagree.. I am not one of those people who operate on the principle of....if you are not for me, you are against me...I am always open to an agreement to disagree respectfully..
I try to always stay open to agreement to respectfully disagree as well. Sometimes that's about as far as you can get with some things. Like in this conversation, for example. :)

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
And every single one of those verses are from Paul making it Paulian dogma and nothing that is attributed to Jesus. Care to try again? Jesus said nothing about gays.
Christianity does not cherry pick and exclude the writings of Paul because he spoke of homosexuality as a sin.....as a homosexual, you have obvious reasons to be critical of Paul, and thus you are biased....but that's ok, I don't mind....

Last edited: