• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is being gay a sin according to your religion?

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
Pascal's Wager.

Read the post I was responding to in the first place, if you're lost.
You said "What if Islam is the correct religion and you've been following the wrong religion all this time? If it is the correct religion, then you're going to be in the same boat as atheists when you die. Uh oh!"

And I pointed out that there is only the one God... so to talk of right and wrong religion doesn't matter...they all point the way...it is then up to the aspirant to practice...all will unfold appropriately... If atheists do no religious practice then so be it......you reap what you sow...karma is a b***h

And I still don't know what Pascal's Wager is?

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
First - as already shown - there is NO - as with a - so it doesn't say that.

Secondly - even if a male Sacred Prostitute had sex with a male - that would still not make him a homosexual.

It would be a Sacred Prostitute having sex with a male, just like they have sex with females, and animals, etc.

Children were dedicated to the Temple and trained to be Sacred Sex Prostitutes.

Ok...Ingledsva...I see you are not about to give up on your erroneous claim.....no real student of scripture is going to believe you but it is your life...so all the best...:)

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
You said "What if Islam is the correct religion and you've been following the wrong religion all this time? If it is the correct religion, then you're going to be in the same boat as atheists when you die. Uh oh!"

And I pointed out that there is only the one God... so to talk of right and wrong religion doesn't matter...they all point the way...it is then up to the aspirant to practice...all will unfold appropriately... If atheists do no religious practice then so be it......you reap what you sow...karma is a b***h

There isn't only the one god though. Throughout history there have been thousands of gods that humans have worshiped. There's no way to know whether the right one has been chosen and worshiped in the proper manner.

The person I was responding to, said this: “I look at it this way, if I walk as the Bible says God wants me to walk and it's not true, (which I believe in my whole being that it is) when I die I have lost nothing. If death is the end of it all, I have lost nothing. But, if it is true, the people that claim it's not and deny God and our Savior, they have lost everything! If it is true, if there is a God, if there is an eternal hell, I have still lost nothing. But what about unbelievers? They have make a terrible judgment call and will pay for eternity!”

I pointed out that he’s in the same boat as atheists and people who follow any other random religion you can think of (or none at all) because perhaps he has chosen the wrong religion to follow and/or the wrong god to worship. What he’s saying is only true if the one brand of Christianity he follows is the "true" religion. If it turns out that we are supposed to have been worshiping Thor all this time, then this guy is no better off than an atheist when he’s dead and ends up face-to-face with Thor or Zeus or any other god you can think of.

You could have looked it up.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pascal's_Wager

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
There isn't only the one god though. Throughout history there have been thousands of gods that humans have worshiped. There's no way to know whether the right one has been chosen and worshiped in the proper manner.

The person I was responding to, said this: “I look at it this way, if I walk as the Bible says God wants me to walk and it's not true, (which I believe in my whole being that it is) when I die I have lost nothing. If death is the end of it all, I have lost nothing. But, if it is true, the people that claim it's not and deny God and our Savior, they have lost everything! If it is true, if there is a God, if there is an eternal hell, I have still lost nothing. But what about unbelievers? They have make a terrible judgment call and will pay for eternity!”

I pointed out that he’s in the same boat as atheists and people who follow any other random religion you can think of (or none at all) because perhaps he has chosen the wrong religion to follow and/or the wrong god to worship. What he’s saying is only true if the one brand of Christianity he follows is the "true" religion. If it turns out that we are supposed to have been worshiping Thor all this time, then this guy is no better off than an atheist when he’s dead and ends up face-to-face with Thor or Zeus or any other god you can think of.

You could have looked it up.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pascal's_Wager
We are talking about the one God, not Divine entities of the Celestial Hierarchy....and since the one God is omnipresent....there can only be one God...Allah is just the Arabic word to represent the one God... If you were unaware, the bible used by Arabic speaking Christians uses Allah for God..

As for Pascal's Wager....it can be dismissed out of hand due to Pascal's ignorance about what results from religious practice.. Anyone who has seriously practiced religion sooner or later has a subjective experience that shows the truth of the reality of God....from that point it is not a matter of belief, but a fact... It is only the atheists, agnostics, skeptics, and the unfaithful who do not receive the evidence of God. The principle of cause and effect....reap what you sow...applies to all aspects of life's activities.... Seek and you will find....so it follows that if you do not seek, you do not find...

Simple logic..no wager involved...:)

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
We are talking about the one God, not Divine entities of the Celestial Hierarchy....and since the one God is omnipresent....there can only be one God...Allah is just the Arabic word to represent the one God... If you were unaware, the bible used by Arabic speaking Christians uses Allah for God..
I have no idea what you are talking about and I feel like you're still missing the point.

Islam is a different religion from Christianity with different tenets, dogma and expectations from the god that is being worshiped, etc. Just fill in "god" or "allah" with "Zeus" or "Thor" or "Isis" or any of the other thousands of gods that have been worshiped and discarded throughout history and you'll get the point. How do we know the ancient Greeks weren't worshiping the right gods and present-day Christians are worshiping the wrong god? I'm sure the ancient Greeks thought they had it right at the time. We can't know, and that's why hedging our bets that we've somehow chosen to believe in and worship the exact right god(s) at this particular point in history that we exist, as some sort of way of making sure we've not made the wrong choice, isn't really ensuring that at all. I can have spent my whole life worshiping the god of the Bible, all the while thinking "If I die I've lost nothing, unlike those unbelievers who are going to be in for a rude awakening when they find out hell is real," only to die and find myself on Mount Olympus having to answer to Zeus.

As for Pascal's Wager....it can be dismissed out of hand due to Pascal's ignorance about what results from religious practice.. Anyone who has seriously practiced religion sooner or later has a subjective experience that shows the truth of the reality of God....from that point it is not a matter of belief, but a fact... It is only the atheists, agnostics, skeptics, and the unfaithful who do not receive the evidence of God. The principle of cause and effect....reap what you sow...applies to all aspects of life's activities.... Seek and you will find....so it follows that if you do not seek, you do not find...

While I do agree that Pascal's Wager can be dismissed out of hand, I wouldn't agree that the above isn't necessarily the case at all. Lots of people practice religion without having some kind of subjective experience that shows the "truth of the reality of god." I would also argue that many people seek and DON'T find this god you speak of, which is at least one of the reasons people become atheists in the first place.

Muffled

Jesus in me
Same goes for the followers. People bend over backwards to make the entire bible not applicable.

I believe that is human nature. If one wishes to sin one tends to interpret so one may do it. When a person receives Jesus as Lord and Savior that changes because He now determines what is good interpretation.

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
I have no idea what you are talking about and I feel like you're still missing the point.

Islam is a different religion from Christianity with different tenets, dogma and expectations from the god that is being worshiped, etc. Just fill in "god" or "allah" with "Zeus" or "Thor" or "Isis" or any of the other thousands of gods that have been worshiped and discarded throughout history and you'll get the point. How do we know the ancient Greeks weren't worshiping the right gods and present-day Christians are worshiping the wrong god? I'm sure the ancient Greeks thought they had it right at the time. We can't know, and that's why hedging our bets that we've somehow chosen to believe in and worship the exact right god(s) at this particular point in history that we exist, as some sort of way of making sure we've not made the wrong choice, isn't really ensuring that at all. I can have spent my whole life worshiping the god of the Bible, all the while thinking "If I die I've lost nothing, unlike those unbelievers who are going to be in for a rude awakening when they find out hell is real," only to die and find myself on Mount Olympus having to answer to Zeus.

While I do agree that Pascal's Wager can be dismissed out of hand, I wouldn't agree that the above isn't necessarily the case at all. Lots of people practice religion without having some kind of subjective experience that shows the "truth of the reality of god." I would also argue that many people seek and DON'T find this god you speak of, which is at least one of the reasons people become atheists in the first place.
There is only one God...God is omnipresent......Allah means God in English...there are no gods worshiped in Christianity or Islam....end of argument.

Of course many religious practitioners fail to realize the goal...they are covered by the term I used...the "unfaithful" along with the atheists, etc..

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
Probably the most offensive reason for having faith from a god's perspective. Essentially, it is a thought-experiment that requires the religion of the speaker to be true (pretty much Christianity), and if they are wrong when they die they will never know because they no longer exist in any form (again, this assumes that the speakers own personally religion must be true and no other alternatives are possible), but if they are right they get to spend eternity in the after life of their religion. So, according to Pascal's "wager," it is better to believe just incase it is right, because if it's right then you reap the rewards, but if your wrong you'll never know.

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
Probably the most offensive reason for having faith from a god's perspective. Essentially, it is a thought-experiment that requires the religion of the speaker to be true (pretty much Christianity), and if they are wrong when they die they will never know because they no longer exist in any form (again, this assumes that the speakers own personally religion must be true and no other alternatives are possible), but if they are right they get to spend eternity in the after life of their religion. So, according to Pascal's "wager," it is better to believe just incase it is right, because if it's right then you reap the rewards, but if your wrong you'll never know.
Thank you Shadow Wolf.....I better understand now and have to agree with you... :)

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
There is only one God...God is omnipresent......Allah means God in English...there are no gods worshiped in Christianity or Islam....end of argument.

Of course many religious practitioners fail to realize the goal...they are covered by the term I used...the "unfaithful" along with the atheists, etc..
Of course gods are worshiped in all of those religions. The ancient Greeks worshiped different gods, as did pretty much every civilization in humankind's history. You believe there is only one god, but there are other people who worship(ed) multiple other gods that you don't acknowledge.

Maybe you could try addressing what I said instead of repeating something that is irrelevant to the discussion?

Draka

Wonder Woman
I'm pretty sure @SkepticThinker has a keyboard shaped bruise upon her head by now. Little button imprints above her eyebrows.

Okay, @djhwoodwerks and @ben d try this: So, there actually happens to be a god. Now this god gave certain people some knowledge and wisdom to go out and spread amongst others. This was done by word of mouth, by writings, and so on. Now, imagine, for just one moment, that that information was NOT presented in the Bible, but in the Vedas. So, all the while someone is thinking that they should believe in the Bible because it is the "word of god" and if they don't then they will be punished, but if they are wrong then they are safe. Now this person may, in fact, not be "safe" at all. May not just die and cease to exist. If the "true" "word of god" is found in the Vedas then they should have been practicing Hinduism all along. Now, Hinduism involves reincarnation. What you do now affects your next life. Let's say that, due to your belief in the Bible, you condemned and discriminated against people the Bible said you should. You condescended to them, harassed them, denied them certain human rights. That may have been all well and good if the Bible was right, but if it wasn't and it was the Vedas...you could be in for a world of hurt...discrimination, harassment, condemnation and so on in the next life.

The point being that one doesn't know for sure, that's why it is called a "belief". However, believing in the Bible because it is a way of hedging your bets is no reason to believe at all because, truth is, your bet could be WAY off. This is the whole point about Pascal's Wager.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
I'm pretty sure @SkepticThinker has a keyboard shaped bruise upon her head by now. Little button imprints above her eyebrows.

Okay, @djhwoodwerks and @ben d try this: So, there actually happens to be a god. Now this god gave certain people some knowledge and wisdom to go out and spread amongst others. This was done by word of mouth, by writings, and so on. Now, imagine, for just one moment, that that information was NOT presented in the Bible, but in the Vedas. So, all the while someone is thinking that they should believe in the Bible because it is the "word of god" and if they don't then they will be punished, but if they are wrong then they are safe. Now this person may, in fact, not be "safe" at all. May not just die and cease to exist. If the "true" "word of god" is found in the Vedas then they should have been practicing Hinduism all along. Now, Hinduism involves reincarnation. What you do now affects your next life. Let's say that, due to your belief in the Bible, you condemned and discriminated against people the Bible said you should. You condescended to them, harassed them, denied them certain human rights. That may have been all well and good if the Bible was right, but if it wasn't and it was the Vedas...you could be in for a world of hurt...discrimination, harassment, condemnation and so on in the next life.

The point being that one doesn't know for sure, that's why it is called a "belief". However, believing in the Bible because it is a way of hedging your bets is no reason to believe at all because, truth is, your bet could be WAY off. This is the whole point about Pascal's Wager.
Hehehe Just a little bit. ;) I'm about 2 seconds from smashing the whole damn thing to bits. :D

Thank you for this. I think you've explained it much better than I have!!

Draka

Wonder Woman
Hehehe Just a little bit. ;) I'm about 2 seconds from smashing the whole damn thing to bits. :D

Thank you for this. I think you've explained it much better than I have!!
Thank you. I thought, just maybe, perhaps, an actual direct comparison to a completely different religion may work. One that would have a different outcome that would affect them. I don't know if it will or not, but worth a shot. ;)

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
Thank you. I thought, just maybe, perhaps, an actual direct comparison to a completely different religion may work. One that would have a different outcome that would affect them. I don't know if it will or not, but worth a shot. ;)
I've got my fingers crossed. :)

Janardena

I don't have a religion and being gay is fine by me. What about you guys??

From a Biblical perspective it says:

The wages of sin is death, and the gift of God is eternal life.
From this we can comprehend that eternal life is an aspect of ourselves, but upon transgression of God, we die. So what is it that dies, and what is eternal?

So why, in the Bible, does it state that homosexuality, and adultery, are punishable by death? What is the point of it? From the Biblical quote we know that we are eternal beings, but we also know that we die, or appear to die, meaning, we are material, finite beings.

It seems to me that before we can really discuss this matter of sin and what's constitutes a sin, we have to have a good understanding of who, and what we are.

jan.

The Emperor of Mankind

Currently the galaxy's spookiest paraplegic

And what if people receive evidence of deity that differs from your own; specifically, of a god who is not necessarily the Abrahamic god?

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
Of course gods are worshiped in all of those religions. The ancient Greeks worshiped different gods, as did pretty much every civilization in humankind's history. You believe there is only one god, but there are other people who worship(ed) multiple other gods that you don't acknowledge.

Maybe you could try addressing what I said instead of repeating something that is irrelevant to the discussion?
Haha,,,,the irony....reread my post....where did I mention the ancient Greek religion.....I spoke of only the Christian and Islam religions... Your reading comprehension is abysmal...

Please in future quote my precise words with which you disagree....and that way you can avoid rambling on about irrelevant stuff....